• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Senator Armstrong is that guy (Metal Gear Rising Speed Upgrades)

Okay so what's up?​

This is what's up:https://medal.tv/games/mg-rising/clips/OYk3nzqb4lkb0/6Bc4woYLco6a?invite=cr-MSxPU1YsMTYyMTI3MTQ4LA

Basically Armstrong can catch a Ripper-mode enhanced Blade-mode slash​

This kinda ***** with the established speed rating but it's not completely out of the ball park, let me explain why.

First thing we need to get out of the way is "Is Armstrong really slower than Raiden and Sam to begin with?"

I actually believe that he isn't, he just prefers to stonewall his opponents into siding with him
Throughout Raiden's fight with Armstrong we see MULTIPLE moments where a casual Armstrong outspeeds Raiden

We have
1:00 - Armstrong charges Raiden and knocks him down before he can react, though and argument can be made that he didn't expect Armstrong
to be that fast.
1:20 - Armstrong blocks numerous sword slashes from Raiden
3:00 - Armstrong catches Raiden's sword mid-swing and breaks it
3:07 - Immediately after breaking his sword he punches so fast that Raiden only just barely dodges (You can even see it in his facial expressions in-game), Armstrong then proceeds to follow up with an attack so fast that in knocks Raiden on his ass

Afterwards we get a brief scene of Raiden "Overpowering" Armstrong which we know is not true based on the scenes immediately after
Using this to discredit Armstrong being stronger would be disingenuous

4:51 - Armstrong breaks Raiden's guard and grabs Raiden before he can react
5:26 - Armstrong breaks Raiden's grip from his hand and proceeds to punch him so fast he cant even counter, we even see a Raiden video feed of him being completely unable to react to his attacks

After this Armstrong proceeds to beat the shit out of a dazed Raiden while reciting his famous "Make America Great Again!!" speech

11:40 - After face tanking Raiden's barrage of punches he retaliates with one of his so fast that once again Raiden is unable to react

After that the final battle happens and we know how that turns out

We also have the Sam fight where we see Sam try and take down the one an only

4:33 - Armstrong blocks two of Sam's sword slashes and proceeds to grab him before he can react
6:04 - Probably the most blatant showing of Armstrong's superiority we have. In this section we see Armstrong parry and block every one of Sam's slashes and basically ragdoll Sam with his punches he can't react to. Sam even uses the fact that he's getting his ass beat to sheath his blade and cut off his arm with Quick Draw. Even after this he fails to react to Armstrong's arm blade and ends up getting his arm cut off

All of these instances above seem to imply that Armstrong or at least a serious Armstrong is superior to both Raiden and Sam in pure speed. The reason he doesn't dodge is simply because he doesn't have to, he can just tank it. In fact throughout the entire fight Raiden only dodges 5 of Armstrong's punches, the rest he eats

Some of you may point to the end of the Armstrong fight where Raiden blade-modes Armstrong's punches however this was at the end of an extended fight with Raiden (And a stronger version of Raiden but the wiki doesn't accept that Raiden has AD) and after a Raiden who at this point could match Armstrong blow-for-blow had kicked him in the head staggering him.

There is also some limited evidence to suggest that Armstrong activating his nanomachines increases his speed as well.

Every time we see him perform a dash attack or a super fast grab he completely hardens his body
We also see in the earlier fights when Armstrong is toying with Raiden that when he attempts to do a grab he does not harden his body and as a result is far slower than the ones we see in the final fight

So what do we do?​

I have a few ideas of what we could do to make sense of this

1. Scale Armstrong directly to relativistic - I'm not to fond of this because it breaks the previously established speed scaling and would require Raiden to have an entire new key just for this fight
  2. Scale Armstrong to relativistic when using hardening - This is what I prefer as this only occurs when he has activated hardening across his entire body and is in line with hardening increasing his speed. It also seems he can only do this in short bursts so it doesn't result in relativistic Non-Blade mode Raiden
  3. Possibly/Likely/etc Relativistic - Basically we just slap one of these terms on his profile and call it a day
  4. Ignore it all-together - We could just ignore it and stick to the scaling we have now and chalk it up to gameplay mechanics. I don't like this but it's always an option.

What would change?​

If the Relativistic scaling goes through Armstrong and possibly Sam and Raiden would get Relativistic speed. Sam would get outright Relativistic perceptions because he could perceive Armstrong's punches in slow motion and Raiden would get Relativistic in Ripper Mode
OR if we go with the second option which I prefer
Armstrong gets bumped up to Relativistic ONLY when fully hardened and nothing else needs to change

In both these scenarios I believe it is needed to specify that Armstrong is SUPERIOR in speed normally to both Raiden and Sam as I have hopefully proved in this CRT

BONUS CRT​

Raiden has been shown to keep up with futuristic bullet trains so he should get Subsonic movement speed

That's it, Discuss!!​

Agree: DarkDragonMedeus(At Most Rel, Rel reactions), Eseseso (At most rel, relativistic with hardening, relativistic reaction speeds)​

Disagree:

Last edited:
Do you want me to put your down for agree based on your suggestion?
Yes, sorry for responding late.

Actually, looking at the OP, it may be better to make him "At most rel, relativistic with hardening, relativistic reaction speeds", since it does seem that hardening w/ nanomachines boosts his speed.

Yes, sorry for responding late.

Actually, looking at the OP, it may be better to make him "At most rel, relativistic with hardening, relativistic reaction speeds", since it does seem that hardening w/ nanomachines boosts his speed.
K, I'll put you down for that.

Also this seems like the best suggestion yet

Also what is your opinion on subsonic MS Raiden?

Armstrong is stated outright to be slower than Raiden, most of that stuff is just them going back and forth, there are just as many cases of Sam and Raiden otspeeding Armstrong, Raiden is faster, but not to the point where Armstrong can't outspeed him if he's not careful, kinda like an IRL speed gap. Armstrong scaling to RM BM, which would be 10x Raiden's base makes no sense from a fight standpoint too, he would have blitzed raiden in the last phase of the fight, and even if you wanna say that just his "nanomachine'd" form scales to that and not his "base", Raiden canonically reacts to nanomachine-armstrong's attacks in base. Even throughout the fight, way before Armstrong gasses out you use Blade mode on him in QTE's and he moves in slow motion.

Realistically, it's just a gameplay mechanic and nothing more

Back