• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SCP Discussion Thread 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, since they're anchored to an author page, no matter what happens to their story they're immune to the rules that govern other stories, and can never get deleted or changed by Swann's avatars.

Also, i know that applies to Clef and Kondraki iirc, but are there any others we already have pages for/plan on making pages for?

Read for yourself, from operation overmeta in the section "Draft 5".

"There's a few data points - very very few, hard to identify - which seem to be immune to 'deletion', as Gordon put it."
"The point is, no matter how far these data points fall in merit, they seem to be immune to the rules that govern all the others."
"So what the hell was it? Took years for someone to piece it together. I think it was Dr. Huever, in the end. They were author pages."
"If we can work together we might, maybe, be able to anchor ourselves to an author page, conceptually. Protect ourselves as a potential piece of headcanon by sheer virtue of being undeletable."

I'm possibly going to make a page for Dr. Thaddeus Thaum (the interviewer in 3143, and the main character of never metafictional character I didn't like) but I think even though he's part of the pataphysics department, he may not be on an author page.

Of course if the operation overmeta crew themselves get pages, they'd have it. Other than that, I'm not sure yet.

If anyone wants to look for more author pages, there's a list of them all here.

I coulda sworn that Dr. Gears and Fritz had author pages, but i guess not

EDIT:Fritzwillie does have an author page, i just didn't see it

This also brings up a huge canon issue, of how canon we consider those author pages which have zero quality control, but are also the main plot point driving new and noteworthy characters.

I'm considering making a thread about it, but I've already made half a dozen threads recently about how SCP ruins everything about our system.

Partial dimensions are just a wierd thing that our system can't work with

negative dimensions were easily fixed by extending 11-C to basically be anti-1-A

we can make it work

most of the time at least

Weekly was also asking the other day in chat how fractal characters fit into our tiering system.

the topology thing is something very few people here know enough about to make a definite statement, so thats reasonable

Made the page, I'd kinda like to change the quote to one that doesn't imply causality manipulation/acausality, and also remove that from powers/abilities.

Everything else I could find was either too vague or too clinical, these are the best I found for other contenders.

"I... is that even possible? How can we kill Murphy Law — kill a story? Nevermind kill the Foundation itself."
HEY COME ON NOW DOC

RELAX

I KNOW A GUY
And

It is the current hypothesis of the Department of Analytics that SCP-2747 represents evidence of a naturally-occuring anafabula, or anti-narrative: a cluster of interdependent signs, iconography and narremes that, when included to a sufficient extent within a fictional construct, leads to mutual annihilation.

So, I was working on the CRT for the swann-tier immortality issue

Nearly complete version of that post here
The central plot point of the tale Operation ÓverMeta is that the characters are achieving immortality by preserving themselves in an author page, as those have no quality control, never getting deleted no matter how shit they get.

Here are some quotes, or you could scroll down to draft 5.

"There's a few data points - very very few, hard to identify - which seem to be immune to 'deletion', as Gordon put it."
"The point is, no matter how far these data points fall in merit, they seem to be immune to the rules that govern all the others."
"So what the hell was it? Took years for someone to piece it together. I think it was Dr. Huever, in the end. They were author pages."
"If we can work together we might, maybe, be able to anchor ourselves to an author page, conceptually. Protect ourselves as a potential piece of headcanon by sheer virtue of being undeletable."
There's a few issues with this whole thing that need to be discussed. In short.

1. What would this immortality entail? This seems to put them in a position where they'd still exist on some conceptual level, and are out of reach of everyone besides the one character at the top of the god tiers. But this also doesn't give any sort of regen from this self on another plane, would it just be type 9 immortality at the top of the SCP's hierarchy?

2. How canon should author pages be? SCP's allowed in the first place when creepypasta aren't, among other reasons, because there's quality control. If we let author pages be canon, they have no quality control, but if we disregard them completely, then characters created solely for this tale have their main plot device be non-canon, which seems like it would be problematic once I get around to making pages for them.

3. How should original and extended canon treat this?

When I realized that operation overmeta itself is an author page.

Now, it's not written as an author page. It's listed as a tale for multiple other SCPs. It's linked to as if it's an ordinary part of the canon in many other SCPs and tales. The characters established here pop up in other actual tales.

This is all pretty important stuff. It solidifies 2747's tier and a lot of pages don't make a lot of sense without it.

I feel like this deserves ANOTHER thread on top of the immortality one, but I just don't ******* know any more.

Who's canon? Who's not? You decide! Anyone else got an opinion on how canon this should be?

1: Most likely, as they're not fully killed/killed at all unless you can affect the author page, which requires a high degree of plot manipulation

2: Extended Canon to everything not linked to or mentioned in the series, File Canon for those that are

3: See 2

While that's answering the immortality post, that won't matter if operation overmeta itself isn't canon.

However, my point with point 2 is that author pages have no quality control, how canon can we have something without quality control be?

Agnaa said:
While that's answering the immortality post, that won't matter if operation overmeta itself isn't canon.
My point with point 2 is that author pages have no quality control, how canon can we have something without quality control be?
please don't do this, you'll engage the Dargoo

please don't do this, you'll engage the Dargoo

I wonder what will break first, his mind or his canon regulations.

I believe it's plot based immortality. After all, they're trying to write themselves out to be immortal. This should also give them passive luck manip through manipulation of the plot.

While I appreciate the responses to the proto-CRT post, I'd rather sort out the issue of overmeta's canonicity before the issue of overmeta's immortality.

Sir Ovens said:
I believe it's plot based immortality. After all, they're trying to write themselves out to be immortal. This should also give them passive luck manip through manipulation of the plot.
>Random researchers have 1-A plot-based immortality and plot manip/luck

this is definitely the most powerful civilization at this point

Agnaa said:
While I appreciate the responses to the proto-CRT post, I'd rather sort out the issue of overmeta's canonicity before the issue of overmeta's immortality.
thats fair, and it should probably be treated as EC exclusive

I mean we treat everything in SCP like they exist in 2 states. The original self contained canon, and the everything canon. We treat author pages the same. Original canon would just place them at an unknown level of plot based immortality, while extended canon will place them at High 1-B or 1-A level.

thats fair, and it should probably be treated as EC exclusive

Even though it's technically an author page?

And "EC exclusive" what about the characters who were originally created in that page?

If I haven't given my say yet.

Author pages shoulsn't be part of Original File or Extended Canon.

We treat those characters like we treat Clef, Kondraki, and Bright.

Dargoo Faust said:
If I haven't given my say yet.

Author pages shoulsn't be part of Original File or Extended Canon.
What woul you put them as, Dargoo?

I've made a thread for the overmeta problem.

oh **** I am so sorry dargoo

Short version:

• SCP Original character tournament.
  • The author writes two tales involving their SCP fighting/adventuring with another author's character.
  • Short list of included characters: Don quixote (4028), Plague Doctor (049), dado, Armando (3589), THE HERO (2786)
  • It's canon. The tales, the existence of the tournament itself. It's canon.

I'm just sad hippo used don instead of the typewriter or murphy law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back