• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY: Monstra Downgrade

A rare downgrade post from me. Basically, we need to recalc Monstra’s KE using its mass, not weight.

This Twitter post by one of the concept artists indicates that the crystals on its back are gravity crystals. Thus, they negate the weight of the whale. So the current LE value of it is wrong.

A rare downgrade post from me. Basically, we need to recalc Monstra’s KE using its mass, not weight.

This Twitter post by one of the concept artists indicates that the crystals on its back are gravity crystals. Thus, they negate the weight of the whale. So the current LE value of it is wrong.

Is it actually the final design or is it just the first full look at concept art at it?

Is it actually the final design or is it just the first full look at concept art at it?
It has those same crystals in the final design.

The ones on the top.

You should have made a calc before you made the downgrade, but yes, I agree.

The only concern I have is whether those gravity crystals are actually in effect or doing anything to the whale.

Last edited:

The only concern I have is whether those gravity crystals are actually in effect or doing anything to the wall.
What wall? Also I can’t really calc for shit. My math brain no work too good.

What wall? Also I can’t really calc for shit. My math brain no work too good.
You can make an argument that the gravity crystals were not in effect/lessining when the whale made the decent and landing. You can also assume that the whale had no weight to it and calc based off of mass.

You can make an argument that the gravity crystals were not in effect/lessining when the whale made the decent and landing. You can also assume that the whale had no weight to it and calc based off of mass.
It's likely better to calc off mass anyways

We'd also need to recalc Amity Arena since it also has a giant gravity crystal.
There is no set value as for how much a grav crystal affects the propulsion of things flying off the ground so we have no way of accounting those into calcs of any kinds so what we have would have to do since trying to account for the crystals would require assumptions on shit we simply don't have

There is no set value as for how much a grav crystal affects the propulsion of things flying off the ground so we have no way of accounting those into calcs of any kinds so what we have would have to do since trying to account for the crystals would require assumptions on shit we simply don't have
Wouldn't the gravity crystals negate the weight of an object completely though? Since they are lifting them up? Like, calcing just the mass seems like the safe bet.

Wouldn't the gravity crystals negate the weight of an object completely though? Since they are lifting them up? Like, calcing just the mass seems like the safe bet.
We don't know that, that's the issue and why I had my concerns. This is just going to be a lot of guesswork since we don't know HOW much it's taking away from the force of gravity, or if they're even like... on.

We don't have any information to say that they do 100% negate all weight of everything that'd just be headcanon, we literally have no way of quantifying how much they affect the weight of anything

They would just stay as is, there is literally no way to quanify anything regarding those crystals
But wouldn't lowballing to the absolute max still be the safer option? Like, we can't just ignore these crystals since they do negate some weight.

But wouldn't lowballing to the absolute max still be the safer option? Like, we can't just ignore these crystals since they do negate some weight.
No you're making infinitely more assumptions on something that is quite literally impossible to quanify

No you're making infinitely more assumptions on something that is quite literally impossible to quanify
I will say that I am usually opposed to downgrades, so me harping on this should be a sign of something. Like if we are not certain about how the gravity crystals work, shouldn't we just scrape the calcs on objects that have them? Since leaving them be would indicate that the full weight is being used when it is not the case?

I will say that I am usually opposed to downgrades, so me harping on this should be a sign of something. Like if we are not certain about how the gravity crystals work, shouldn't we just scrape the calcs on objects that have them? Since leaving them be would indicate that the full weight is being used when it is not the case?
Eh just note on the calcs or profiles that use them that we can't quantify how much they effect the weight and move on tbh

Could be wrong but how does this invalidate the calc? The crystals just make things float, they aren’t removing the mass from the whale, its just making it lighter.

NOw THAT part is a bit weird, but if the mass is already there, just replace the weight in the equation with mass.

The only concern I have is whether those gravity crystals are actually in effect or doing anything to the whale.
I mean it sees to just give the thing upwards lift like a plane or a flying character having some kind of upwards lift

I would like to call back to Dale’s arguments, that it’s more guess work than it’s worth to do these recalcs
I get what you’re saying, but I want to make sure everyone is okay with this. Like, this could possibly affect the calcs and all. Like we know that it helps Monstra fly and all.

Like multiple times we see gravity dust provides upwards lift to help things float in the air while keeping their mass given everyone on Amity wasn't floating despite the gravity dust stabilizers, the fact gravity dust temporarily held up Atlas after they used the staff also helps prove this (they mentioned that gravity dust wouldn't ever sustain lifting up Atlas to keep it in the air like that)

The whole Atlas thing also proves that gravity dust has a weight limit like anything providing upwards lift would

Like multiple times we see gravity dust provides upwards lift to help things float in the air while keeping their mass given everyone on Amity wasn't floating despite the gravity dust stabilizers, the fact gravity dust temporarily held up Atlas after they used the staff also helps prove this (they mentioned that gravity dust wouldn't ever sustain lifting up Atlas to keep it in the air like that)

The whole Atlas thing also proves that gravity dust has a weight limit like anything providing upwards lift would
no one is saying it doesn't have an effect, the point is its literally impossible to quantify how much of an effect it actually has. You literally cannot measure the amount of lift it provides per unit of volume consistently. So worrying about it or masking assumptions to try and do so its inherently flawed and is only backed by assumptions and headcanons nothing concrete

Back