• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY - Immaterial Non-Physical Interaction Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me. Ive been here long enough to know multiple Staff members doesnt make it gospel truth. Staff dont hold stronger power over opinions, other than the people that want to follow them for being admins among other things, but that doesn't deter me when this is so blatantly...too unclear to give every character in the verse NPI? All they do power-wise is mediate a debate, but it cant be said their opinion is 'better' lol. That goes against equal debate.

Except the Geist still hasn't been concretely shown that its impossible to 'punch' normally, and you're all blatantly admitting (i can guess from the comments liking) that its so you can get high-end RWBY.

You're the only one talking low-ends here. I just go by facts and dont let my personal desire for a verse to be stronger (or have wanked arguments like Aura users being immune to matter manipulation or transmutation) get in the way of common sense and validity of said-feat. Or so i'd like to think.
Oh, everyone knows that, but Staff consensus is more then enough for me to dip and let you scream into the void, if you haven't been here long enough to know that then wow

It's almost like there's a power for interacting with something stated to be intangible or that should be unable to be hit, hmmmmm

I never really said anything about Transmutation tho? In that CRT I basically said "Yeah I'm fine with that being nuked" if I recall lmfao

It hasnt, because the cast can hit it despite its intangibility. Love how youre hyperfixating on parts of the immaterial intangibility description that have nothing to do with the Geist as though it proves your point somehow.
Why are you claiming it can 'phase through most attacks' as an example of it being immaterial when it literally has never shown to phase through ANY attack thus far though?
It doesnt need to be passive to be elemental intangibility
Im aware, its fine. Just dont treat it like its Logia when you acc talk about her in a fight lol
"Ruby can turn intangible and has been hit multiple times while intangible, so dont use those examples as proof of NPI!"

Do you see how stupid this sounds?
No? Elemental Intangibilty is different, as you've stated. Things like being made of water, or rose petals, or other materials that are actually solid arent non-physical. People use elemental intangibility through the properties of whatever the 'elemental part is'.

NPI refers to interacting with something that genuinely, in real life, would not be physically able to touch or something for the most part, or being able to go into materialisations of something like the mind ig? In elemental intangibility youre still physically interacting with the element. Touching water, or grass, doesnt count for NPI the same way permeation-type intangibility would
Coming from the person who has been ignoring the point for two threads now. Its obvious you wont listen and are just being willfully ignorant because you dont want to admit youre wrong. You are the one who does not understand, because you do not WANT to understand. You just want to be right. But you are not.
💀
Bro im very, painfully aware of your argument.

The geist is intangible as stated in a guidebook
Despite this we see people hitting a geist.
Ergo it can have a possibility at being treated as NPI (which you seem to just want high-ends)
So lets make it a showing NPI, even though you originally were fine with The Chill being the reason.
But you think that Aura is the only logical way this can be possible (even though if it was, this would be stated) so it should be scaled to everyone in the verse with Aura.

What you're refusing to accept is that saying something is 'Intangible' as one adjective is not viable enough to dismiss the equal (and more obvious) possibility that maybe...the Geists intangibility is a bit limited? Like, you're saying now it doesnt have a phase intangibility, even though thats the type of intangibility it has, if anything. Just to jump the gun and get your fave verse more hax

You're claiming its an immaterial intangibility, where the Geist evades most attacks, but it has NEVER even shown to pass through any attack before. How can you be so sure exactly that this is its type of intangibility though? Especially when you got this from just the word 'intangible'. The geist has only ever went 'intangible' through things its specifically possessing

Oh, everyone knows that, but Staff consensus is more then enough for me to dip and let you scream into the void, if you haven't been here long enough to know that then wow
Well you just follow what every person with a highlighted coloured name says lol. I had assumed from the very beginning you were just bootlicking
It's almost like there's a power for interacting with something stated to be intangible or that should be unable to be hit, hmmmmm
Except Geist has never shown anything before that means it cant be hit by 'most attacks'. The whole concept of the Geist Grimm is that its weak af on its base, but needs to possess stronger material to be a better grimm. I remember its stated in like, Amity Arena or smthn that it cant do 'much damage' on its own (so it still can somewhat in base assumignly, impossible for an incorporeal being thats passively intangible 24/7), but is only a threat when its possessing
I never really said anything about Transmutation tho? In that CRT I basically said "Yeah I'm fine with that being nuked" if I recall lmfao
Not saying you specifically did. But honestly theres not much a gap of evidence between that and giving all RWBY characters NPI. you only got the Geist (that was thought of impromptu, which just shows it wasnt relevant enough for you to give NPI to every RWBY character for beforehand) which is still extremely uncertain, and you're blatantly confirming this, but just want high-ends.

Blatant Wank. So forgive me if i dont really respect that, and dont trust that i'm absolutely crazy and denying some immutable truth because of such

WHOA WAIT HOLD THE ************* PHONE

'While in its true form a Geist will sometimes use its claws in combat. Its true form appears to be relatively frail; it was killed with a single shot from Crescent Rose or a single punch from Harriet Bree.

The true form of the Geist is described as largely harmless in their natural state.[4]'

Geists RWBY Wiki profile.

HOWS IT USING CLAWS IN COMBAT IN ITS TRUE FORM BUT BEING INTANGIBLE 24/7? Lemme try and find what moment theyre talking about fr. Largely harmless doesnt mean it isnt completely harmless either. Its obviously just not as physically strong as other grimm

Bro not even the RWBY wiki agrees with yall

Why are you claiming it can 'phase through most attacks' as an example of it being immaterial when it literally has never shown to phase through ANY attack thus far though?
Because. The cast. Can hit them. Because. They have. NPI. Really feels like youre just ignoring everything everyone else is saying at this point.
No? Elemental Intangibilty is different, as you've stated. Things like being made of water, or rose petals, or other materials that are actually solid arent non-physical. People use elemental intangibility through the properties of whatever the 'elemental part is'.

NPI refers to interacting with something that genuinely, in real life, would not be physically able to touch or something for the most part, or being able to go into materialisations of something like the mind ig? In elemental intangibility youre still physically interacting with the element. Touching water, or grass, doesnt count for NPI the same way permeation-type intangibility would
Yes, Ruby can become elementally intangible. The cast's NPI allows them to hit things that are immaterially as well as elementally intangible, but not phasing-based intangibility like Rosa's semblance, which is different from immaterial and elemental intangibility.
💀
Bro im very, painfully aware of your argument.

The geist is intangible as stated in a guidebook
Despite this we see people hitting a geist.
Ergo it can have a possibility at being treated as NPI (which you seem to just want high-ends)
So lets make it a showing NPI, even though you originally were fine with The Chill being the reason.
But you think that Aura is the only logical way this can be possible (even though if it was, this would be stated) so it should be scaled to everyone in the verse with Aura.
I wasnt originally fine with the Chill being the reason, i brought up the Geist being intangible as the main reason for the having NPI and have no idea why that wasnt included on the profiles when the originally CRT was applied

And like i said, by your own argument, whether Aura is the reason why they can hit intangible opponents is irrelevant, as by your own points they would have NPI without the use of Aura.
What you're refusing to accept is that saying something is 'Intangible' as one adjective is not viable enough to dismiss the possibility that maybe...the Geists intangibility is a bit limited? Like, you're saying now it doesnt have a phase intangibility, even though thats the type of intangibility it has, if anything.
I never argued that it had phasing intangibility to begin with. You are the one arging that the Geist's intangibility is limited despite there being zero showings to prove this point beyond your argument that the cast hitting them means its not intangible, rather than that they have NPI.
You're claiming its an immaterial intangibility, where the Geist evades most attacks, but it has NEVER even shown to pass through any attack before. How can you be so sure exactly that this is its type of intangibility though? Especially when you got this from just the word 'intangible'
Attacks dont pass through it because the cast has NPI
WHOA WAIT HOLD THE ************* PHONE

'While in its true form a Geist will sometimes use its claws in combat. Its true form appears to be relatively frail; it was killed with a single shot from Crescent Rose or a single punch from Harriet Bree.

The true form of the Geist is described as largely harmless in their natural state.[4]'

Geists RWBY Wiki profile.

HOWS IT USING CLAWS IN COMBAT IN ITS TRUE FORM BUT BEING INTANGIBLE 24/7? Lemme try and find what moment theyre talking about fr

Bro not even the RWBY wiki agrees with yall
This just in, Jinx discovers that ghosts in fiction can attack people.

In all seriousness though, using a fandom wiki as a major arguing point is not the best evidence, especially when the point in question isnt even sourced. Ive gone through every appearance of a Geist in the entire franchise multiple times for this thread, not once do they use their claws to attack, all they do is fly away, and even then, an intangible being attacking someone doesnt make them not intangible.

Anyways yeah, theres currently three staff in favor of keeping it with Damage's proposal (Damage, Medeus, and Maverick) as well as myself, Reaper, and Spinorr (and a few others going by the likes that just havent commented here yet. You are the only one against this Jinx.

Because. The cast. Can hit them. Because. They have. NPI. Really feels like youre just ignoring everything everyone else is saying at this point.
You're literally only looking for your favourite option.
Its equally as possible that the Geists ARENT intangible absolutely all the time, and can be tangible, seeing as they have been hit regularly, they bear the same bone-like structure as other grimm, and theres more than one way a being can be 'intangible' than you can get from jsut the word
Yes, Ruby can become elementally intangible. The cast's NPI allows them to hit things that are immaterially as well as elementally intangible, but not phasing-based intangibility like Rosa's semblance, which is different from immaterial and elemental intangibility.
Elemetnal intangibility is not non-physical though. Its the permeation through actual physical materials like water, magma and even molecules. touching someone with Elemental intangibility doesnt make you interact with non-physical things.
I wasnt originally fine with the Chill being the reason, i brought up the Geist being intangible as the main reason for the having NPI and have no idea why that wasnt included on the profiles when the originally CRT was applied
Was literally never mentioned whatsoever, you said you agreed on that thread that only added NPI a month ago lol.
And like i said, by your own argument, whether Aura is the reason why they can hit intangible opponents is irrelevant, as by your own points they would have NPI without the use of Aura.
Or they dont have NPI in general?
You refuse to look at the possibility that this clearly might not work in your high-end way. (Very likely so).

The Geist getting hit can ALSO refer to the fact the Geists intangibility is limited, and not just that RWBY can NPI. But you just like the stronger option.
I never argued that it had phasing intangibility to begin with. You are the one arging that the Geist's intangibility is limited despite there being zero showings to prove this point beyond your argument that the cast hitting them means its not intangible, rather than that they have NPI.
Actual joking what?
What intangibility like 'Immaterial' would mean it couldnt phase through solid objects if it can phase through 'people'.

Bro you cant read what you're saying
These are both equally opportune possibilities. Why are you only considering one?
Its obvious why. Wank.
Attacks dont pass through it because the cast has NPI
Okay but what attack HAS passed through it at all for you to claim its Immaterial? Prove it can pass through 'most attacks'
This just in, Jinx discovers that ghosts in fiction can attack people.
Geists arent ghosts stop capping. They're based off them and only have the general possession ability.

How the **** can something thats 24/7 Intangible also attack people? It doesnt make sense?
How are their bodies physically attacking someone (with no aura involved) if you claim they're naturally intangible, and clearly need to possess innate material to deal damage

In all seriousness though, using a fandom wiki as a major arguing point is not the best evidence, especially when the point in question isnt even sourced. Ive gone through every appearance of a Geist in the entire franchise multiple times for this thread, not once do they use their claws to attack, all they do is fly away, and even then, an intangible being attacking someone doesnt make them not intangible.
Bro nah, the fandom wiki has more info on RWBY than this wiki ever could.
WeeklyBattles thinking they're the RWBY messiah on anything

They didnt make this up outta nowhere, im gonna try and find what its referring to. the Geists do have their huge claws.

How are you harmless in general in a true form if you are also 24/7 intangible and cant be hit. You would genuinely need to prove that a Geist can hit something but someone cant hit it back if thats the case

Anyways yeah, theres currently three staff in favor of keeping it with Damage's proposal (Damage, Medeus, and Maverick) as well as myself, Reaper, and Spinorr (and a few others going by the likes that just havent commented here yet. You are the only one against this Jinx.
Nah calm down Ive just found smthn here

Im used to this wiki thinking V5 Oscar could solo main cast at the time, Aura is a physical passive forcefield rather than a passively energy-dense one through one example of a character with choppy V1 animation physically having to use their aura to exert any sort of 'solid wall' and it never being shown again, or Aura protects someone from being literally broken down in matter, and somehow a solid forcefield will protect them from that.
Reaper has literally admitted he just wants to wank to high end with you liking a comment referring to it.

Damage likely just wants this done with lol.

Ill look through the Geist stuff. I do want you to explain to me how a being that is intangible 24/7 and cant be hit can be harmful in any capacity, and actually show proof if youre going to claim its one-sided and only the geist can attack but cant be hit back (A.k.a stupid and dumb argument that shows youre grasping on straws)

NO WAY I FOUND IT

GEIST IN ITS BASE FORM TRIES TO SWIPE AT BLAKE

PLEASE TELL ME HOW AN INTANGIBLE GRIMM ON ITS OWN IS TRYING TO PHYSICALLY ATTACK HER

Man you're lucky i dont remember RWBY as well as you superfans lol, there is literally no denying the Geist aren't physical either

>Immaterial: This type of intangibility allows the user to phase through most attacks due to not being made up of a physical substance, such as ghosts or characters who merely exist as a disembodied soul. It also includes characters that are made up of things like energy. Of course, this intangibility type still has its own weaknesses - a soul is vulnerable to soul manipulation, for example.

Also find it hilarious you're saying this is the Geist's type of intangibility when
1 They've never phased through any attack period
2 Geists arent real ghosts
3 Grimm are literally soulless, this own wiki says this, so its not disembodies soul.

Face it
  • The Geist have the exact same white bone-plating as every other Grimm, which we've seen Clover hook onto. Why would only that be intangible for the Geist and not other Grimm?
  • The Geist literally has huge claws made of these bones that it has tried to attack Blake with on its own volition. So...the Geist can be tangible? I've literally just proved it can be tangible
Ive gone through every appearance of a Geist in the entire franchise multiple times for this thread, not once do they use their claws to attack, all they do is fly away
^^^ Wrong again
  • If the Geist can truly be intangible to every other attack (not aura based if thats rly the thing youre clinging to and would scale everyone), then you need to prove it only works one way in which the Geist can physically attack others but they cant naturally touch it.
  • Geists have been only ever been killed by physical attacks, never shown this intangibility be combat applicable or had it avoid a physical hit by someone who doesnt have aura to make the silly assumption and scale it as an Aura power.
  • If the writers wanted the geist completely intangible as its main thing, they would have made it clear and still made it beatable.
  • Theres literally already a semblance that focuses on an intangibility, described as 'intangibility' and goes into way more depth than the Geist that Aura characters cant touch, no matter how many 'layers of intangibility' you want to give to RWBY through 2 unrelated non-mainsources. With Jojo, stands are their own separate thing and actually prominent in the series to need a differentiaton lol. Theres even a Stand with both a Stands natural 'intangibility' and its own general phasing-type power (Anasui's Diver Down). You making up layers of intangibility within the RWBY verse based on this isnt as understandable as Jojo
  • Geists dont live outside of any external plane, like Bayonetta in Purgatorio or smthn. Theres nothing suggesting its a one-sided relationship physically. Something like this is usually the reason for one-sided ghosts. Again, prove its only one-sided for this 'intangible creature' to be able to hit other characters, but cant be hit naturally.
  • Geists literally stated that it is capable of harming someone in its true form at a capacity, though its body is too weak and vulnerable (crazy how an intangible being has to worry about that). Like its obviously weak and i could see why an intangible being would need to use possession to get by...if they couldn't interact at all. Which is false.
  • The only things its ever acted intangible through is linked specifically to its possession and thats limited to innate material
  • The only evidence you have for its intangibility is an adjective from a guidebook that can be taken in equally (more) valid ways at maximum.
  • RWBY consistency is awful. As such you need more proof of the Geists showings to try and claim how its intangibility works and then scale it to the entire verse. If you weren't bias ofc.
  • Its not a real ghost. Grimm are all made of the same material and based on other creatures. Why would the Geist be the only one absent from this fact (not in the same way as the Chill
  • This NPI would have been up a lot sooner if yall thought it was actually worthy to begin with.
  • Dont focus on this its not a main point) Other RWBY mediums that somewhat accurately portray how the Geist's abilities work, like RWBY Chibi, exist and show it is incapable of escaping a box or Nora's stomach lol.
  • (Not too much an important point either cause its portrayal), we see parts of the Geists body visibly more transparent, while some parts are foggy (like the haze Grimm exert) to reflect a ghostly appearance. There was clearly some sense of physicality incorporated in the design through the use of actually making different levels of transparency in the design

Last edited:
Gotta go to work again so I will respond in a few hours but I really hope that you're not seriously arguing that a ghost attacking someone means it's not intangible lol

Sorry yeah its hard keeping it all in one post with how live it is and multiple people @ me. I've made a big list now, surely no one can deny ive at least made a single point generously

Last edited:
Gotta go to work again so I will respond in a few hours but I really hope that you're not seriously arguing that a ghost attacking someone means it's not intangible lol
Geists arent ghosts, they're just based off them. If anything, Geists are literally based on the 'Poltergeist' variant that haunts through possessing stuff exclusively. Which would suggest it cant interact otherwise. You know this yourself.

Ghosts or of the like are usually within another plane, and rely on more spiritual powers and whatnot to interact with people in only a one-sided way. Ghosts, much like the Geist, usually need to possess something or use magic to actually enact what they do, you never see a Ghost that physically attacks someone while having a portrayed, completely intangible body.

You would need to prove that the Geists intangibility works in a one-sided way for this to be valid, but given its a Grimm literally resident in Remnant that can die, i dont fancy your chances

Could i genuinely ask what i'd need to show you to convince you that Geists are tangible? Like, what actual sort of proof would you need other than some character literally exactly quoting 'Geists arent intangible anyone can hit them!!!!!'
Cause like...i just did. And it was a fact YOU werent aware of despite boasting so proudly you know more than the RWBY wiki lol. It just seems that no matter how many times I show the actual scans you were begging me to show of a Geist physically interacting with something, and you being unable to prove other than 1 word in a guidfebook that can be taken in another way, such as
  • Geists are only intangible through the things they possess, since their bodies are vulnerable on their own in general (The factual case from what we've seen)
  • Geists can go intangible but it isnt passive and they can be caught off guard while tangible to actually do stuff.
  • The Guidebook is inconsistent and inaccurate in parts, and not a main source of canon, with one adjective that isnt expanded upon that doesnt make up a main power thats worthy enough of scaling the entire verse to and making up another bs power Aura doesnt have. (No offense to guidebooks but yeah, this convo has made me sick of ppl clinging to one adjective that they're only taking in the one way to make high-end).
That you'll only respond with 'Well yeah duh, thats cause they have NPI!'.
That argument would only work if their ability to interact with ghosts or smthn has been explicitly stated and shown, much like Auras resistance to temperatures and its ability to regenerate the user at varying degrees. Actual examples of general Aura abilities you can take and run with. However this is a power/ability the wiki has listed as a power you can 'derive' through 'logic', rather than a power the writers genuinely want you to think they have and can do. So if that logic is compromised and the whole thing has been made shaky, then maybe its time you start actually proving your assumptions?

You have literally assumed all of this based on how you think the Geist is. But that existence isnt concrete to input on a factual wiki. Theres many different interpretations ofc but you cant deny that theres nothing about the basis of Aura that gives them this power, and you've had to assume it based on the geist being called intangible once.
But even when the show contradicts the validity of this way of thinking, you're still looking to 'high-end', and stretch over the problem with "Oh yeah well thats just because <insert baseless assumption>", which just seems like misinterpretation on your part.

Like genuinely, im starting to think the Guidebook only called the Geist intangible solely cause of what its intangibility has been shown for in the series...possessing innate matter. Its not combat applicable or concrete to put the Geists existence on. There is genuinely NO expansion on what would be a somewhat interesting Grimm concept for you to be grasping this many straws at.

Last edited:
Alright lets take care of the nonsense.
You're literally only looking for your favourite option.
Pretty funny coming from the person who has almost exclusively argued from a point of personal opinion rather than concrete evidence the entire thread.
Its equally as possible that the Geists ARENT intangible absolutely all the time, and can be tangible, seeing as they have been hit regularly, they bear the same bone-like structure as other grimm, and theres more than one way a being can be 'intangible' than you can get from jsut the word
Yes but you would have to prove that, which you have yet to do. You seem to struggle with this concept.
Elemetnal intangibility is not non-physical though. Its the permeation through actual physical materials like water, magma and even molecules. touching someone with Elemental intangibility doesnt make you interact with non-physical things.
Your point being?
Or they dont have NPI in general?
Except hey do, as they have feats of interacting with both immaterial and elemental intangibility, and thus have NPI for both elemental and immaterial intangibility.
You refuse to look at the possibility that this clearly might not work in your high-end way. (Very likely so).
Just like you refuse to look at the possibility that this clearly might not work in your nonsense way. (Very likely so). Only problem is, my way is backed by facts and evidence, your way is backed by personal opinions and contradictory 'what if' scenarios.
The Geist getting hit can ALSO refer to the fact the Geists intangibility is limited, and not just that RWBY can NPI. But you just like the stronger option.
Prove that its limited then. Prove they can become physical.
Actual joking what?
What intangibility like 'Immaterial' would mean it couldnt phase through solid objects if it can phase through 'people'.
Yes, intangibility via being immaterial and intangibility via vibrating your molecules to phase through things are two completely different forms of intangibility. I'd repost the descriptions but you'd probably just ignore them again.
Bro you cant read what you're saying
These are both equally opportune possibilities. Why are you only considering one?
Its obvious why. Wank.
Because it is the more likely of via occam's razor, it requires far less assumptions given what we know and the evidence that has been provided.
Okay but what attack HAS passed through it at all for you to claim its Immaterial? Prove it can pass through 'most attacks'
I do not need to prove a negative. Attacks havent passed through them because the attacks of the cast have NPI.
How the **** can something thats 24/7 Intangible also attack people? It doesnt make sense?

How are their bodies physically attacking someone (with no aura involved) if you claim they're naturally intangible, and clearly need to possess innate material to deal damage
Geists dont attack people in their ghost form, they attack people by possessing matter and shaping it into giant golems.
Bro nah, the fandom wiki has more info on RWBY than this wiki ever could.
WeeklyBattles thinking they're the RWBY messiah on anything

They didnt make this up outta nowhere, im gonna try and find what its referring to. the Geists do have their huge claws.
Neat, if you disagree then feel free to make a sitewide CRT changing our standards to allow fandom wikis to be used as factual evidence for CRTs.
How are you harmless in general in a true form if you are also 24/7 intangible and cant be hit. You would genuinely need to prove that a Geist can hit something but someone cant hit it back if thats the case

Ill look through the Geist stuff. I do want you to explain to me how a being that is intangible 24/7 and cant be hit can be harmful in any capacity, and actually show proof if youre going to claim its one-sided and only the geist can attack but cant be hit back (A.k.a stupid and dumb argument that shows youre grasping on straws)
You just answered your own question my guy. The only one grasping at straws is you.
Nah calm down Ive just found smthn here

Im used to this wiki thinking V5 Oscar could solo main cast at the time, Aura is a physical passive forcefield rather than a passively energy-dense one through one example of a character with choppy V1 animation physically having to use their aura to exert any sort of 'solid wall' and it never being shown again, or Aura protects someone from being literally broken down in matter, and somehow a solid forcefield will protect them from that.
Reaper has literally admitted he just wants to wank to high end with you liking a comment referring to it.

Damage likely just wants this done with lol.
Everyone on this thread wants this done, literally everyone here agrees that you are wrong and just wants you to stop embarrassing yourself and wasting everyone's time.
NO WAY I FOUND IT

GEIST IN ITS BASE FORM TRIES TO SWIPE AT BLAKE

PLEASE TELL ME HOW AN INTANGIBLE GRIMM ON ITS OWN IS TRYING TO PHYSICALLY ATTACK HER

Man you're lucky i dont remember RWBY as well as you superfans lol, there is literally no denying the Geist aren't physical either

Becasue an intangible creature can still physically attack? This doesnt disprove it being intangible at all lol, literally every intangible character on the wiki physically attacks things, you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesnt.

Becasue an intangible creature can still physically attack? This doesnt disprove it being intangible at all lol, literally every intangible character on the wiki physically attacks things, you'd be hard pressed to find one that doesnt.
The Snatcher(AHiT) doesn't, he only physically attacks after his intangibility has been power nulled

Oh, and insert WoW ghost variant #8712 here, they bitch slap you

But others, like Boos, Phasmophobia ghosts, FNaF crying children, Cackletta, literally any Danny Phantom ghost, the list goes on, do attack physically.

>Immaterial: This type of intangibility allows the user to phase through most attacks due to not being made up of a physical substance, such as ghosts or characters who merely exist as a disembodied soul. It also includes characters that are made up of things like energy. Of course, this intangibility type still has its own weaknesses - a soul is vulnerable to soul manipulation, for example.

Also find it hilarious you're saying this is the Geist's type of intangibility when
1 They've never phased through any attack period
2 Geists arent real ghosts
3 Grimm are literally soulless, this own wiki says this, so its not disembodies soul.
I find it hilarious that your argument constantly flip flops between 'the cast doesnt have NPI because theyve never hit an intangible opponent' and 'geists arent intangible because the cast have hit them'. Youve been contradicting yourself the entire thread and dont even realize it lol.
1. They dont phase through attacks because the cast has NPI.
2. You dont need to be a literal ghost to have immaterial intangibility. Not sure why you even believe this.
3. As before, you dont need to be a disembodied soul to have immaterial NPI. Not sure why you believe this either.
Face it
  • The Geist have the exact same white bone-plating as every other Grimm, which we've seen Clover hook onto. Why would only that be intangible for the Geist and not other Grimm?
Because unlike other grimm, the geist is outright stated to be intangible.
  • The Geist literally has huge claws made of these bones that it has tried to attack Blake with on its own volition. So...the Geist can be tangible? I've literally just proved it can be tangible
'This intangible creature has claws, therefore it must actually be tangible!'

No, no it is not. You have not proven anything other than that you are a master of making wild assumptions and that you can very easily convince yourself that your blatantly wrong conclusions are the only ones that could possibly be right regardless of the mountains of evidence proving you wrong.
  • If the Geist can truly be intangible to every other attack (not aura based if thats rly the thing youre clinging to and would scale everyone), then you need to prove it only works one way in which the Geist can physically attack others but they cant naturally touch it.
You are literally the only one who is fixated on it being aura based. No one other than you is arguing that. Get this through your thick skull.
  • Geists have been only ever been killed by physical attacks, never shown this intangibility be combat applicable or had it avoid a physical hit by someone who doesnt have aura to make the silly assumption and scale it as an Aura power.

• If the writers wanted the geist completely intangible as its main thing, they would have made it clear and still made it beatable.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If only there was a guidebook for RWBY that confirms that the Geists are intangible

Hmmmmmmmmmm that sure would be helpful

Also would be convenient for the directors to confirm that its a ghost, perhaps in a commentary of sorts. Oh wait, they did that too, and since youre fond of using whats on the RWBY wiki as a source, here is the RWBY wiki link to the volume 4 commentary transcript:

"Kerry: Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. Um, so. So yeah when we're, we first came up with different types of Grimm we were just kinda brainstorming like what could be out there. And um, we wanted to have y'know t-this type of Grimm that could possess other things because we wanted to have, y'know a rock monster. Uh, not a rock lobster but a rock monster. (Gray laughs) Um, sorry made me think of it. And (Gray laughs) we, we were trying to justify like y'know, know we want the Grimm to be... y'know, more or-organic or more, um, little bit more like easily understandable. So we thought well, what about a ghost Grimm? I think that was one of the first things that came up and we talked about doing a poltergeist which turned into, because we're clever, Geist. Um, we're not clever, that was a joke. (Chuckling, possibly from Kowan) Um, so y'know one of the original things we're talking about is, is while uh, Monty's working on the White Trailer we're trying to figure out... why... 'cause the initial idea was just like she's fighting a suit of armour because she is (Gray: 'Cause it is cool) 'Cause it's cool, (Gray chuckles) she's Snow White, she's in a castle like, not the White Castle, but she's in a castle. Uh, like this would be cool and then, y'know, like many ideas it's like "Alright well here is the end result, how do we get there?" And we talked about yeah, the idea that a Geist is a type of Grimm that can possess different things. So, we start coming with different terminology. This was uh, a Petra Gigas, uh the, the Armored Knight was an Arma Gigas, um I think we had some others (Miles: There's a few others) but y'know (Miles is difficult to hear) that's for later. - 11mins, 36secs in. "
  • Theres literally already a semblance that focuses on an intangibility, described as 'intangibility' and goes into way more depth than the Geist that Aura characters cant touch, no matter how many 'layers of intangibility' you want to give to RWBY through 2 unrelated non-mainsources. With Jojo, stands are their own separate thing and actually prominent in the series to need a differentiaton lol. Theres even a Stand with both a Stands natural 'intangibility' and its own general phasing-type power (Anasui's Diver Down). You making up layers of intangibility within the RWBY verse based on this isnt as understandable as Jojo
Yes, said semblance is PHASING, geist intangibility is IMMATERIAL. They are two completely different forms of intangibility.
  • Geists dont live outside of any external plane, like Bayonetta in Purgatorio or smthn. Theres nothing suggesting its a one-sided relationship physically. Something like this is usually the reason for one-sided ghosts. Again, prove its only one-sided for this 'intangible creature' to be able to hit other characters, but cant be hit naturally.
This is not required to qualify for immaterial intangibility.
  • Geists literally stated that it is capable of harming someone in its true form at a capacity, though its body is too weak and vulnerable (crazy how an intangible being has to worry about that). Like its obviously weak and i could see why an intangible being would need to use possession to get by...if they couldn't interact at all. Which is false.
Did you look at the guide description at all? The Geist in its ghost form is outright stated to be effectively harmless.
  • The only things its ever acted intangible through is linked specifically to its possession and thats limited to innate material
...Youre really going to argue that its not intangible because its only ever gone through innate matter? As in, the vast, vast majority of the matter on the planet? Literally anything that isnt a human, faunus, or animal? Thats your actual argument for it not being intangible?
  • The only evidence you have for its intangibility is an adjective from a guidebook that can be taken in equally (more) valid ways at maximum.
Almost like adjectives are literally meant to give properties to things that describe them.
  • RWBY consistency is awful. As such you need more proof of the Geists showings to try and claim how its intangibility works and then scale it to the entire verse. If you weren't bias ofc.
You keep saying this yet the cast being able to hit Geists has been consistent over the course of the entire series.
  • Its not a real ghost. Grimm are all made of the same material and based on other creatures. Why would the Geist be the only one absent from this fact (not in the same way as the Chill
Because its specified as being intangible. The Chill is a Grimm yet its an incorporeal shadow. Just because its a Grimm doesnt mean its tangible like other Grimm.
  • This NPI would have been up a lot sooner if yall thought it was actually worthy to begin with.
I have no idea what youre even arguing with this point.
  • Dont focus on this its not a main point) Other RWBY mediums that somewhat accurately portray how the Geist's abilities work, like RWBY Chibi, exist and show it is incapable of escaping a box or Nora's stomach lol.
Ah yes, the non-canon comedy show where Aura doesnt even exist, that is definitely something that should be taken into consideration for the main series

Can someone make a singular post, no editorials or assumptions, just the barebone demonstrations/statements of intangibility and Non-Physical interaction in the series?

Can someone make a singular post, no editorials or assumptions, just the barebone demonstrations/statements of intangibility and Non-Physical interaction?
Ye, it was literally the first big post on the thread but i can repost it seeing as (as predicted) we've reached a second page:

20230316_224019.jpg

Geists are stated in the guidebook to be intangible.

Ruby kills a Geist with her rifle

Clover physically grapples a Geist with his fishing line and Harriet one-punches the Geist.

20230316_233102.jpg

Chills are stated in the lore to be incorporeal, and huntsmen have killed them before.

KqKFRLF.png

Addressing a counterargument, there are tools and specialized huntsmen that have the capacity to remove a Chill from their human host without killing the host. This does not say that they are the only ones/things that can physically interact with a Chill, only remove it safely.

Mercury physically interacts with Ruby in her semblance state, which turns her into an intangible cloud of scattered molecules and rose petals.

Addressing another counterargument, it was brought up that the existence of an intangibility semblance in-verse that was not able to be interacted with would discredit NPI, however the intangibility semblance in question is Phasing, not the Immaterial intangibility of the Geist and Chill nor the Elemental intangibility of Ruby's semblance.

image.png

image.png

image.png

As for other counterarguments, Jinx's argument boils down to claiming that Geists have some undemonstrated capacity to become tangible and that we just dont know it and havent seen it, and that the guidebook saying that they are intangible is not enough proof to claim that they are intangible, with her sources being the RWBY fandom wiki and the non-canon comedy show RWBY Chibi (Which holds no bearing on the main series).

The currently agreed on compromise is to give the cast members who have shown the ability to physicall harm geists and the like NPI, and the cast that havent shown this to have 'likely NPI'.

Its not, because you have yet to provide any new arguments or substantial evidence. All youre doing is repeating the same nonsense over and over again ad infinitum hoping someone will believe you.

Hence why i proposed the vote count, ive known you long enough to know that this is exactly how this thread would end.
Bro i have LITERALLY just provided you an instance of the 'intangible Grimm' trying to attack someone physically.

Even Damage gets the point.

You're desperate for a vote rn cause you cant prove the intangibility only works one way

Bro i have LITERALLY just provided you an instance of the 'intangible Grimm' trying to attack someone physically.

Even Damage gets the point.

You're desperate for a vote rn cause you cant prove the intangibility only works one way
And ive already explained multiple times how and why this does not discredit intangibility.

I called for a vote count so the collective participants of this thread arent having their time wasted dealing with your stonewalling and circular arguments.

And ive already explained multiple times how and why this does not discredit intangibility.
No, you just dont want it to.

All you have is an adjective. And its been contradicted in the series. Instead f the reasonable thing like finding more evidence for the Geist specifically being 'immaterial intangibility', you're grasping straws to try and make yourself right.
I called for a vote count so the collective participants of this thread arent having their time wasted dealing with your stonewalling and circular arguments.
Its literally only you arguing.

Your buddy has literally admitted he's just trying to wank, which you seem to agree with

Geists are stated in the guidebook to be intangible.
1 adjective and the Show completely contradicts the intangibility you're trying to mention. See geist attacking Blake, and the multiple times its been hit
Ruby kills a Geist with her rifle

Clover physically grapples a Geist with his fishing line and Harriet one-punches the Geist.
Tell me how this also cant mean they just arent Intangible in the way you like, and that they're still capable of being physically attacked
Chills are stated in the lore to be incorporeal, and huntsmen have killed them before.
Bro trying to make debunked arguments to the new people

The Chill needs SPECIALIZED HUNTSMEN AND TOOLS
A.k.A not a power aura just gives you.
Addressing a counterargument, there are tools and specialized huntsmen that have the capacity to remove a Chill from their human host without killing the host. This does not say that they are the only ones/things that can physically interact with a Chill, only remove it safely.
Bro doesnt know what Specialized means.
Why does this mean everyone gets to interact with the Chill in a completely unknown way?
Mercury physically interacts with Ruby in her semblance state, which turns her into an intangible cloud of scattered molecules and rose petals.
Interacting with 'Elemental Intangibility' (a.k.a using physical elements and not being actually intangible' doesnt count for NPI. Elements are still physical, not non-physical
Addressing another counterargument, it was brought up that the existence of an intangibility semblance in-verse that was not able to be interacted with would discredit NPI, however the intangibility semblance in question is Phasing, not the Immaterial intangibility of the Geist and Chill nor the Elemental intangibility of Ruby's semblance.

Prove it has immaterial intangibility from just being called 'Intangible'
As for other counterarguments, Jinx's argument boils down to claiming that Geists have some undemonstrated capacity to become tangible and that we just dont know it and havent seen it, and that the guidebook saying that they are intangible is not enough proof to claim that they are intangible, with her sources being the RWBY fandom wiki and the non-canon comedy show RWBY Chibi (Which holds no bearing on the main series).
Except they have. Geist literally tries to tangibly attack Blake, and has the same bone structure and birth as every other Grimm.

YOU werent aware of this and are trying to ignore it desperately by clinging to the RWBY Chibi argument im not enforcing
The currently agreed on compromise is to give the cast members who have shown the ability to physicall harm geists and the like NPI, and the cast that havent shown this to have 'likely NPI'.
Or to stop the blatant wank and wait for RWBY to actually show they can hurt NPI beings.

Can you please genuinely prove
  • The Geist's intangibility is 'immaterial' type? Just from being called 'intangible' and how thats different from the Semblance (Imagine an Non-physical intangible creature not being able to go through walls
  • The Geist's intangibility would only work in one way that they can attack humans, but they cant attack back naturally
  • The showings of the Geist being physically hit DONT contradict your guidebook-adjective perception of its intangibility, and instead exclusively vouch for the whole cast having NPI.
  • Aura being the reason they can hurt Geists (Ergo why this should scale to everyone and their mother in RWBY)
  • The Geist's intangibility being a consistent fact.
@Damage3245 Like is this not a reasonable ask?

Last edited:
Could i genuinely ask what i'd need to show you to convince you that Geists are tangible? Like, what actual sort of proof would you need other than some character literally exactly quoting 'Geists arent intangible anyone can hit them!!!!!'
A Geist impacting a solid surface that isnt a person or being hit by something that isnt an attack from one of the cast members, such as falling debris, something that actually hits it. You know, tangible proof of it being tangible.
Cause like...i just did. And it was a fact YOU werent aware of despite boasting so proudly you know more than the RWBY wiki lol. It just seems that no matter how many times I show the actual scans you were begging me to show of a Geist physically interacting with something, and you being unable to prove other than 1 word in a guidfebook that can be taken in another way, such as
  • Geists are only intangible through the things they possess, since their bodies are vulnerable on their own in general (The factual case from what we've seen)
Hmmmmmmm so the only things that they can go through are innert matter that cant interact with them, isnt that weird.
  • Geists can go intangible but it isnt passive and they can be caught off guard while tangible to actually do stuff.
Never once shown, stated, or even implied.
  • The Guidebook is inconsistent and inaccurate in parts, and not a main source of canon, with one adjective that isnt expanded upon that doesnt make up a main power thats worthy enough of scaling the entire verse to and making up another bs power Aura doesnt have. (No offense to guidebooks but yeah, this convo has made me sick of ppl clinging to one adjective that they're only taking in the one way to make high-end).
Yeah no, now youre just making shit up, the guidebook was written by the show's writers and storyboard directors, it is primary canon.
That you'll only respond with 'Well yeah duh, thats cause they have NPI!'.
That argument would only work if their ability to interact with ghosts or smthn has been explicitly stated and shown, much like Auras resistance to temperatures and its ability to regenerate the user at varying degrees. Actual examples of general Aura abilities you can take and run with. However this is a power/ability the wiki has listed as a power you can 'derive' through 'logic', rather than a power the writers genuinely want you to think they have and can do. So if that logic is compromised and the whole thing has been made shaky, then maybe its time you start actually proving your assumptions?
It has been shown, multipl times as a matter of fact. Something you still refuse to acknowledge.

The only reason you believe it is shaky is due solely to your disbelief that this could be the case, and your belief that your opinion is the only fact that matters, no matter how wrong you are.
You have literally assumed all of this based on how you think the Geist is. But that existence isnt concrete to input on a factual wiki. Theres many different interpretations ofc but you cant deny that theres nothing about the basis of Aura that gives them this power, and you've had to assume it based on the geist being called intangible once.
The only one making assumptions here is you Jinx, as proven by your complete lack of concrete evidence and abundance of 'what if' scenarios as core arguments. You are not basing a single one of your claims in any sort of fact, you are simply being a contrarian out of sheer disbelief that an intangible grimm could exist in RWBY and that the RWBY cast could have NPI.
But even when the show contradicts the validity of this way of thinking, you're still looking to 'high-end', and stretch over the problem with "Oh yeah well thats just because <insert baseless assumption>", which just seems like misinterpretation on your part.
The show doesnt contrad it this in any way, the Geist is never once shown to be tangible beyond the cast hitting it due to them being able to interact with intangible opponents.
Like genuinely, im starting to think the Guidebook only called the Geist intangible solely cause of what its intangibility has been shown for in the series...possessing innate matter. Its not combat applicable or concrete to put the Geists existence on. There is genuinely NO expansion on what would be a somewhat interesting Grimm concept for you to be grasping this many straws at.
"The guidebook only called the geist intangible because its only ever shown to be intangible, but thats probably not true, surely it must be tangible."

its hilarious hat you accuse everyone else of grasping at straws when thats all youve been doing this entire thread.

A Geist impacting a solid surface that isnt a person or being hit by something that isnt an attack from one of the cast members, such as falling debris, something that actually hits it. You know, tangible proof of it being tangible.
Okay but where is it ever implied the cast members have the ability to NPI outside of 'hitting a geist' being intangible for you to be so sure?

You're very aware that doesnt exist, so you're asking for the impossible frankly. Crazy.
Hmmmmmmm so the only things that they can go through are innert matter that cant interact with them, isnt that weird.
What???

Do you genuinely think this is a point? The Possession is a literal power it has. It does get to choose what it possesses and doesnt.
Never once shown, stated, or even implied.
Except its been hit AND I COULD SAY THE EXACT SAME FOR YOUR ARGUMENT!!!!

Where has your version of this intangibility been implied?

Yeah no, now youre just making shit up, the guidebook was written by the show's writers and storyboard directors, it is primary canon.
Theres no new info. Its about whats been seen by the show, and the show writers/directors would only assist with affirming it.

You're clinging to 1 adjective they go into NO detail over
It has been shown, multipl times as a matter of fact. Something you still refuse to acknowledge.
Nice evidence. 'It has been'

Theres literally not any time in the show where anyone blatantly shows NPI. Elemental Intangibility is not non-physical when it uses physical elements like Water, Lava, Grass (you can interact with grass Weekly)
The only reason you believe it is shaky is due solely to your disbelief that this could be the case, and your belief that your opinion is the only fact that matters, no matter how wrong you are.
I mean no?

Sorry i dont look to wank my fave verse through the use of 1 adjective
Sorry my opiniion on this is that the Geist needs more evidence of being as intangible as you say it is.
The only one making assumptions here is you Jinx, as proven by your complete lack of concrete evidence and abundance of 'what if' scenarios as core arguments. You are not basing a single one of your claims in any sort of fact, you are simply being a contrarian out of sheer disbelief that an intangible grimm could exist in RWBY and that the RWBY cast could have NPI.
Said intangible grimm has been physically hit, physically attacks a character on screen (which it needs to be tangible to do), and you cant tell the difference between a real ghost and a grimm.
The show doesnt contrad it this in any way, the Geist is never once shown to be tangible beyond the cast hitting it due to them being able to interact with intangible opponents.
You're literally making it up that they can hit intangible opponents though?

This is literally just the assumption your making instead of considering how this contradicts.
"The guidebook only called the geist intangible because its only ever shown to be intangible, but thats probably not true, surely it must be tangible."
Its not shown to be intangible in the show other than into this its actively trying to possess.

It physically tries to attack a character with its tangible claws
its hilarious hat you accuse everyone else of grasping at straws when thats all youve been doing this entire thread.
Your Geists' intangibility is unclear and you cant prove its immaterial. Its dodging

You have not posted any substantial concrete evidence. I commend you for finally posting a single scan in the form of the clip of Blake fighting the Geist, thats progress, albeit the clip itself didnt prove much of anything, but providing evidence is the standard for making arguments here. Ive been providing evidence since the start, you have not.
I didnt post the multiple times the Geist got physically hit

You know exactly what moments im talking about Weekly, please stop whining just because you couldnt prove your lies abt Transmutation resistance

Can you please genuinely prove
  • The Geist's intangibility is 'immaterial' type? Just from being called 'intangible' and how thats different from the Semblance (Imagine an Non-physical intangible creature not being able to go through walls. An immaterial type intangibility being immune to 'most attacks' when the Geist has literally never shown to go through an attack at all whatsoever)
  • The Geist's intangibility would only work in one way that they can attack humans, but they cant attack back naturally
  • The showings of the Geist being physically hit DONT contradict your guidebook-adjective perception of its intangibility, and instead exclusively vouch for the whole cast having NPI.
  • Aura being the reason they can hurt Geists (Ergo why this should scale to everyone and their mother in RWBY)
  • The Geist's intangibility being a consistent fact.
@Damage3245 Like is this not a reasonable ask?
^^^^

Please just prove all of this stuff Weekly. I dont need you spamming the same 'scans' im aware about.

I think the multiple times the Geist's 'intangbility' has been actually contradicted in the show overtrumps you being able to completely understand how its intangibility works from an adjective (with no actual viewings from the show) in a guidebook (that takes from only the show), instead of just trying to give free hax to your fave verse. The only time the Geist has shown intangibility in any sense from the acc main source canon, is exclusive to its main power of possessing rocks and stuff. Not even the book, or the wiki (that has more info than you do) supports you with this.

The Chill argument literally goes against this by saying that only specialized tools/huntsmen can interact at any capacity with Chills ('Specialized huntsmen' from any example most likely being linked to their unique semblances much like Shion.), and ergo its not a generalised power. If you STILL want to try and bring up the Chill like thats a valid argument
The more evidence of contradiction (like antifeats), the more reliable? Is there genuinely any other example that solidifies the Geist being fully intangible all the time (Despite it trying to physically attack someone)

Last edited:
Essentially:

One source, secondary to the show, says Geist are intangible, with no details other than that. Literally just “they are intangible” with no explanation as to how.

Everyone in the entire verse beats the shit out of Geist as if they are not intangible.

Thus there are two options. Either the entire cast has NPI or the Geist can be selectively intangible.

Neither of these are proven, shown or implied in the show or extra material, so it is pure speculation either way.

Essentially:

One source, secondary to the show, says Geist are intangible.

Everyone in the entire verse beats the shit out of Geist as if they are not intangible.

Thus there are two options. Either the entire cast has NPI or the Geist can be selectively intangible.

Neither of these are proven, shown or implied in the show or extra material, so it is pure speculation either way.
Would you not agree then that more showings and evidence needs to be said then to fully confirm they're intangible in the way Weekly is saying?

Like im saying its unclear, im not exclusively trying to say they're selectively intangbile even though
The Geist is seen trying to physically attack someone (Its not a real ghost and theres no other plane they could be one-way attacking from). If it was always passively intangible, it wouldn't do this (especially when the Geist in question was regarded as a smart one)
Geists are made of the exact same material and bones as the physical grimm
Its only ever shown to 'phase' through things its specifically trying to possess. Its shown no aspects of immaterial intangibility outside of that?

I just dont think its concrete enough to put on the profiles in any capacity yet, let alone scale to the entire series for a free hax

It is absolutely unclear for their intangibility. One source saying “yeah, they’re intangible” and then literally zero showings of them being intangible EVER is very suspicious.

Using “but AURA THO” is not a catch-all solution for contradictions. The intangibility should be demonstrated to operate on attacks/in the way Weekly is implying, not stated then never shown what capacity it has.

Intangibility varies from verse to verse.

What kind of intangibility do the Geists have should be established first.

On the other hand, claiming they ARE NOT intangible is not provable. They are claimed intangible, and can seemingly phase through objects to possess them. The argument should be on how selective this intangibility is.

The fact that they can seemingly phase their mask through matter, but it is also it’s weak spot when possessing matter, raises some questions.

It is absolutely unclear for their intangibility. One source saying “yeah, they’re intangible” and then literally zero showings of them being intangible EVER is very suspicious.

Using “but AURA THO” is not a catch-all solution for contradictions. The intangibility should be demonstrated to operate on attacks/in the way Weekly is implying, not stated then never shown what capacity it has.

Intangibility varies from verse to verse.

What kind of intangibility do the Geists have should be established first.
I think its exclusive only to the things they possess as shown (Since thats the only time in show they've ever phased and been intangible. 'Intangible' could clearly be describing that)

Weekly is saying immaterial via Its like a ghost, it can avoid all physical attacks (Despite never shown to withstand a physical attack) and that it operates on a soul level (Grimms as in their profile canonically lack souls).

On the other hand, claiming they ARE NOT intangible is not provable. They are claimed intangible, and can seemingly phase through objects to possess them. The argument should be on how selective this intangibility is.

The fact that they can seemingly phase their mask through matter, but it is also it’s weak spot when possessing matter, raises some questions.
Im not claiming they arent intangible to some capacity, but its just not passive intangibility like Weekly says, when the Geist still can be physically hit and only goes intangible for things its trying to possess (And has never been intangible in another capacity from the show). The assumption is being made for the benefit of 'high-end' RWBY that the Geist is just always naturally intangible 24/7, and theres not a possible moment they cant be tangible

The Grimm itself tries physically attacking a character in its base form, so it is just crystal clear the Geist isnt 100% intangible all the time

As per site rules, outside statements cannot contradict the source material and must be supported by it.
  • Primary Source
    • V3 - Mercury kick Ruby out of her semblance state
    • V4 - Ruby kills a Geist with her rifle, shooting it in the mask
    • V7 - Clover physically grapples a Geist mask with his fishing line and Harriet one-punches the Geist mask.
    • V8 - According to Penny, Ruby's Semblance is the following:
      • "Ruby is capable of traveling at an extreme velocity from one point to another by breaking herself down to her molecular components, thus negating her mass and then reassembling them at the destination, theoretically making it possible for her to transport all of us in the same way, as mass no longer matters."
      • Classifies as Elemental Intangibility - The ability to become intangible by transforming into a substance, such as wind, fire, or water, making it so that most attacks merely disperse them instead of truly damaging them, allowing them to regenerate. However, this would still leave the user vulnerable to many forms of attack, such as sufficiently powerful energy or elemental attacks.
  • Secondary Sources
    • Guide - Geists are stated in the guidebook to be intangible.
      • Presumably Immaterial Intagibility - This type of intangibility allows the user to phase through most attacks due to not being made up of a physical substance, such as ghosts or characters who merely exist as a disembodied soul. It also includes characters that are made up of things like energy. Of course, this intangibility type still has its own weaknesses - a soul is vulnerable to soul manipulation, for example.
    • Novel - Chills are stated in the lore to be incorporeal, and huntsmen have killed them before.
      • Incorporeality - Incorporeal (or Non-Corporeal) beings are those who have no true physical form. Though they may have physical avatars or bodies, but their true essence exists non-physically, whether as a soul, as energy, or as an abstract concept. Being incorporeal is very different than Intangibility, as an intangible being's body is their true body, it just can't be affected by conventional physical forces. A incorporeal being does not usually have any kind of concrete, defined form, and can appear in many different forms if they wish, though the destruction of these bodies is of little relevance to the entity behind them.
    • Novel - RWBY: Before the Dawn - Rosa Schwein has a semblance that is the following:
      • Turns her blurry, allowing bullets to go through her.
      • It is described as brief phasing.
      • Considered Phasing Intangibility
  • Outside Statements
    • Eddy Rivas (co-writer) - There are specialized huntman/tools used to remove The Chill (RWBY: Fairy Tales of Remnant Novel)
Based on the above, please answer the following questions:
  • Is the Geist Mask physical and the only way to physically harm/touch it? Has the black ghostly body been interacted with before? From what I have seen, the mask does not pass through objects.
    • Are geist limbs able to physically interact with objects or people by choice?
  • Is it explicit that dust gives bullets NPI properties?
    • Would a non-dust bullet hit a Geist anywhere on its body, even its mask?
  • Is there a visual cue that a weapon is channeling aura?
From the show's clips, the only interactions seem to be with the masks themselves, not the ghostly body. Bullets shoot the mask. Wire pulls mask. Fist punches mask.

Based on the above, I would consider Geists to have Immaterial Intagibility limited only to their bodies, not the mask.

At this point in time, I lean against giving them Non-Physical Interaction for Immaterial Intagibility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back