• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rule Proposal for Rule Violation Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKM sama

Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
A member who does not feel comfortable sharing this publicly himself, has come up with a proposal for a rule for our Rule Violation Reports Thread:

"Hey AKM,
Sorry to bother you but I have a proposal for a rule that I don't feel too comfortable sharing publicly.
I don't think non-staff should be allowed to comment in the Rule Violation Reports thread unless they...
  • are making a report
  • have direct involvement in a report
  • have relevant information on a report that has not been brought up yet
I've seen it occur on far too many occasions where regular users continue to constantly try to get involved into situations that have no direct relation to themselves either to say something witty, to rile up a person directly involved in a report, or to make a meaningless joke and it ends up derailing and worsening the situation every time. I've seen staff constantly warn people too stop derailing the RVR thread yet it continues to happen over and over again. I mean, we literally have users just walk into the thread and write something along the lines of Time to get out the popcorn.

These kind of comments obviously serve no help to the thread and given the absurd frequency of this being an issue in the thread, I think it'd be best to just write an outright rule about it."

Obviously, I agree with it. All the problems outlined above are very real and happen far too often, despite us making it clear in the OP that people who derail the RVRT can get temporary bans (which is not enforced at all). I think it will help if we make a full-fledged rule like what is suggested above and enforce it more strictly.

What are your thoughts?
@Antvasima @Promestein @DontTalkDT @Ultima_Reality @DarkDragonMedeus @SomebodyData @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Mr._Bambu @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @Dino_Ranger_Black @JustSomeWeirdo @Theglassman12 @Crabwhale @Eficiente @The_Impress @GyroNutz @DarkGrath @The_Wright_Way @Moritzva @Firestorm808 @DemonGodMitchAubin @Everything12 @Duedate8898 @Planck69 @KingTempest @QuasiYuri @Armorchompy @CrimsonStarFallen @UchihaSlayer96 @Confluctor @Hop_Hoppington-Hoppenhiemer @Shadowbokunohero @Crazylatin77 @Jvando @Zaratthustra @Just_a_Random_Butler @ElixirBlue @Tllmbrg @Nehz_XZX @Amelia_Lonelyheart @Executor_N0 @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @Therefir @DMUA @Jasonsith @KieranH10 @Migue79 @Psychomaster35 @CloverDragon03 @KLOL506 @M3X @Dark-Carioca @AbaddonTheDisappointment @The_Divine_Phoenix @ZackMoon1234 @MistaClean @MonkeyOfLife

Last edited:
Obviously, I agree with it. All the problems outlined above are very real and happen far too often, despite us making it clear in the OP that people who derail the RVRT can get temporary bans (which is not enforced at all). I think it will help if we make a full-fledged rule like what is suggested above and enforce it more strictly.
Its a different situation, but if your being pulled into a HR thing at work they don't allow just anyone in there. Only other HR members or someone directly in charge of you.

In a similar fashion, I agree with the bullet points. If someone isn't actively effected by a report or has some vital piece of information they shouldn't be talking and we do need to be harsher on actually doing temp bans.

This rule makes sense to me. People talking about "Getting out the Popcorn" or "This is gonna be good" or "This should be fun" hold no purpose in the thread. And the rule should go double of the regular user being reported is the one saying comments like that.

I don't have much involvement with the Rule Violations Report Thread and I do not actually know much about it. The idea of having rules for it makes sense for me though given its nature.

I wholeheartly agree to this rule. It has been proven time and time again that most people are drawn to drama and arguments. It was at times so bad that, if you could filter the RVR thread for actual relevant post, it would most likely shrink to more than half.

I too understand why it was so hard to enforce this rule before. No one wants to play the "villain", warning and banning people for technically harmless things. But it is important to remember that snarky behavior like this create pointless bad blood within the community, a place already prone for childish drama.

This seems to make sense to me, but I don't want us to hand out long bans to otherwise well-behaved members just because they are being stupid.

Maybe blocking them for 1-3 days depending on the severity of the infraction, combined with deleting the interfering posts, while being very careful to not apply IP blocks in combination, would be enough?

This seems to make sense to me, but I don't want us to hand out long bans to otherwise well-behaved members just because they are being stupid.

Maybe blocking them for 1-3 days depending on the severity of the infraction, combined with deleting the interfering posts, while being very careful to not apply IP blocks in combination, would be enough?
The intent is not to hand out multi-month bans to every person who makes a peep, the intent is just to write out that 'here are the clear rules on what you should not do, don't fool around in this thread or punishments will follow'

Pretty much what Armor said.

Definitely, everyone can make missteps, we just should take steps to discourage them.
The intent is not to hand out multi-month bans to every person who makes a peep, the intent is just to write out that 'here are the clear rules on what you should not do, don't fool around in this thread or punishments will follow'

Pretty much what Armor said.
Okay. To me, that seems fine to apply then.

I agree, tho there will be users who say they didn't know or didn't see the rule and stuff, what happens to them? A warning or a small block?

Personally adding (Serious) or something to the thread title might help as well, they should be able to see it and know adding unnecessary comments isn't ok in a serious thread.

This has apparently been accepted then.

Is somebody willing to write a draft text that I can add to the first post of the RVR thread? (I will also post in it in the regular manner.)

Last edited:

We can maybe threadban 'em by the way, for a week or so.

I’m not sure what thread banning is supposed to do. They’re already not supposed to be talking in the thread unless they’re doing one of the 3 outlined things.

I’m not sure what thread banning is supposed to do. They’re already not supposed to be talking in the thread unless they’re doing one of the 3 outlined things.
...thus they're not talking anymore once we threadban them. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back