• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rotom vs Porygon

Had this idea in bed and just had to get it written down before I fell asleep. I'm on mobile and will add links in the morning.

It's Porygon Z and Rotom is currently in base. Fight takes place in a junkyard with all of Rotom's appliances strewn about. Speed equalized because apparently they have different speeds? Whatever, let's get this started. Win via any means.

Rotom

Porygon Z

I love how status effect inducement is explained, but time travel and reality warping aren't.

Anyway a lot of P-Z's moves, Rotom is either 'immune' to or resists (normal/electric moves). That's most of P-Z's arsenal already, whereas Rotom can hit it with electric moves and cripple it with paralysis/avoid most attacks with double team/substitute.

Really the only thing that can go wrong for Rotom is its CIS, which may make it want to transform into an appliance, making it slower and letting itself be hit by normal moves.

They shouldn't have different speeds btw

So uh, what about Conversion? I also don't think you gave the appliances as much credit as they deserve. Rotom get's slower yes, but it also get's bulkier plus a new offensive type.

P-Z still has a decent amount of moves that can hit Rotom. Moreover, Conversion means he can effectively wall Rotom even if he switches form. P-Z can also negate any speed advantage, out-heal Rotom with Recover and gets progressively stronger and stronger with Nasty Plot and Agility.

I mean, if the majority of its moves are resisted/nulled by Rotom, and we don't know what it reliably starts with, than Rotom is more likely to win the match.

It's not a "who hits first" match. If P-Z messes up the start, he can easily recover via regen. Even then, pretty sure P-Z isn't stupid enough to use a non-effective move on it.

"At least Sapient" doesn't convince me it will use what's best for it to win reliably.

As opposed to Rotom, who is actually more intelligent than most humans and will not cut corners when taking down an opponent.

Assuming it's not a brand new Porygon, pretty sure it would have learned by then that slapping a ghost doesn't work. Even then, as I've said, it can recover from this early mistake.

Even then, not sure why we're so random with Pokémon intelligence when Mystery Dungeon has shown us Pokémon having societies and stuff (and we treat it as canon).

The majority being Tackle, Discharge, Zap Cannon, Tri Attack, Hyper Beam and Quick Attack? Compaired to Signal Beam, Zen Headbutt, Psybeam, Recover, Magic Coat, Defence Curl, Nasty Plot, Embargo, Agility and Trick Room? Not all of those are offensive, but they are all useful tothe fight.

Personally, Conversion and Embargo are gonna be Pory's biggest advantages.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Assuming it's not a brand new Porygon, pretty sure it would have learned by then that slapping a ghost doesn't work. Even then, as I've said, it can recover from this early mistake.
Even then, not sure why we're so random with Pokémon intelligence when Mystery Dungeon has shown us Pokémon having societies and stuff (and we treat it as canon).
Might be good talk for a CRT, then. I'm only arguing based on the profiles, however, since I'm no expert on Pokemon.

That put, from what I've played, I think it's reasonable to say Rotom is more intelligent than most average Pokemon, which I think is a great advantage when it comes to chosing what is most effective to attack Porygon.

Assuming Porygon is baseline sapient or animalistic, yes, they might start off with something ineffective out of habit.

Porygon is an AI, not an animal. Even then, IRL animals aren't dumb enough to use purely ineffective attacks if they've already experienced it.

Even then, as I've said for like 3 times now, it wouldn't make Rotom win on its own. Rotom has no way to recover health and will eventually be outlasted by Recover and eventually be killed by Nasty Plot and Agility.

Rotom is more likely to use moves such as Confusion/Paralysis, however, which would let it attack Porygon multiple times, which should be enough to finish it off.

They don't last long and have poor accuracy. Said accuracy is going to be even more of a problem once Poyrgon uses Agility. A 2 times gap in speed would be quite immense in a fight with otherwise similar speed.

Porygon is an AI, not an animal. Even then, IRL animals aren't dumb enough to use purely ineffective attacks if they've already experienced it.
To be fair, this argument is assuming Porygon is intelligent enogh to deduce Rotom's type/the fact that it's a ghost to begin with.

They might not last long, however, they definitly push this match more into Rotom's favor, which it already was with the resistances.

Simple resistances plus a few status effect aren't enough to counter a potential 2x advantage in AP and speed + Regenerationn. Considering how frail Rotom is and how strong P-Z's AP is (compared to each other), a single hit would be enough to put Rotom at a huge disadvantage in these conditions.

Also Magic Coat would counter said status effect if it is used. Aaand Porygon also has a confusion chance on some of its moves.

Which are acheived through active stat buffs and healing abilities, which it likely wouldn't reliably begin with. I wouldn't call the resistances simple, when they half Rotom's AP on certain attacks, or outright no-sell them. Should Rotom deduce Porygon's types, it can also use effective moves to outpace the self-healing.

The chance for confusion is nearly a non-issue given how small it is, especially since it wouldn't reliably abuse said moves. It would have to begin with Magic Coat, which would just give Rotom more time to out-think their opponent and attack them.

P-Z still has a decent amount of moves that can hit Rotom. Moreover, Conversion means he can effectively wall Rotom even if he switches form. P-Z can also negate any speed advantage, out-heal Rotom with Recover and gets progressively stronger and stronger with Nasty Plot and Agility.
Literally the only things offensively that Rotom doesn't resist, or is straight up 'immune' to, are psybeam, which is a weak move, and zen headbutt, which is physical. Conversion doesn't work as P-Z's first move is normal type, and there's no single type that resists both ghost and electric in terms of conversion 2.

Sure P-Z has stat boosting moves, but Rotom can boost its own bulk and power with charge, and has ample opportunity to set this up with paralysis + confusion.

GyroNutz said:
Literally the only things offensively that Rotom doesn't resist, or is straight up 'immune' to, are psybeam, which is a weak move, and zen headbutt, which is physical. Conversion doesn't work as P-Z's first move is normal type, and there's no single type that resists both ghost and electric in terms of conversion 2.
Firstly, that's game mechanics. Secondly, you forgot about Signal Beam. And thirdly, considering Conversion 2 is an instantly forming attack, no type resisting both ghost and electric is not really a factor.

Firstly, call game mechanics all you want but it's fallacious to assume how it would work without evidence.

Secondly, I said the things Rotom doesn't resist. Rotom is a ghost type, and ghosts resist bug type moves.

Thirdly, it is a factor because it both needs a stimulus (needs to be hit before it works) and it can only switch to one type. Either it is susceptible to ghost or electric. Even then, Rotom gets more opportunities to attack via paralysis inducement.

Firstly, I can throw that right back at ya. It's fallacious to assume it would work exactly like in the video game considering there is no physical move list.

Secondly, your right. I totally forgot ghost resisted bug. My bad.

Thirdly, Recover and Trick Room.

Firstly, Occam's razor and all that jazz but this doesn't really matter, I'm pretty sure Saikou meant conversion 2 originally.

Thirdly, granted but that's a different argument. Recover spamming while paralysed and potentially confused kinda makes you a sitting duck tho, no pun intended

Again, considering Porygon's profile gives it a bitter berry as standard equipment and it has recycle, confusion is a non-factor.

Rotom has trick, so yes, it is a factor.

Also bitter berries don't even exist anymore

It hasn't. It's a weak connection, but it makes the fight more interesting and rules for pokemon on this site are inconsistant anyway so whateves.

Back