• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Upscaling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we wanted a continuation of our current + sign system.

That doesn't actually get you 3/4 of the tier.

3/4 of 1000 Megatons is 750 Megatons.

The actual midpoint of between halfway up 7-A and the baseline for High 7-A is 775.
Baseline for High 7-A is 1 gigaton, not 775 megatons.

1 gigaton= 1000 megatons.

100 megatons= 0.1 gigaton.

(1000+100)/2= 550 megatons of TNT, this is the amount you'd need to hit in order to get the Mountain level+ rating, but this is simply an example.

Also we don't qualify for upscaling like how you said, just 3/4 of the next oncoming tier. We don't add the arithmetic mean with the upper border of the tier to then divide it. It needs to be like this, 3/4 of the next tier. For example, 1 gigaton being baseline of High 7-A, you'd need to be 3/4 that, or 750 megatons. 3/4 of the next tier means you'd hit the + anyway, like in this case, where 750 megatons is higher than 550 megatons, with 550 megatons being the value to qualify for Mountain Level+.

What you showed was you did it like this: (Arithmetic mean+baseline of next tier)/2, where 550 megatons is the arithmetic mean. As in, (550+1000)/2= 775 megatons. This is the wrong way, the former is the correct one.

Last edited:
@KILO506; I didn't say the baseline for High 7-A was 775 Megatons...

@KILO506; I didn't say the baseline for High 7-A was 775 Megatons...
Still, this isn't the number (Or I should say, method) to qualify for upscaling. The correct number would be 3/4 that of the next tier, which is definitely gonna give you the + rating due to it being higher than the arithmetic mean between the lowest and highest bounds of a tier.

Still, this isn't the number (Or I should say, method) to qualify for upscaling. The correct number would be 3/4 that of the next tier, which is definitely gonna give you the + rating due to it being higher than the arithmetic mean between the lowest and highest bounds of a tier.
I'm lost on what you're talking about.

Isn't that what I just posted?

I'm lost on what you're talking about.

Isn't that what I just posted?
Lemme post another example.

The lowest bound of High 8-C is 2 tons of TNT. The highest is 11 tons, which is baseline 8-B.

The arithmetic mean (Through which we obtain the + rating) of 2 and 11 is 6.5 tons of TNT.

Now, 3/4 (Or 75%) of 11 tons is 8.25 tons of TNT, which easily surpasses 6.5 tons of TNT.

Get it now?

@KLOL506; no, because I don't think we're using the 3/4 of 11 tons as the guideline here. We're using 3/4 of the way to the next tier, which in your example would be 8.75 tons.

This^

There's 3/4 of the way to the next tier and then there's 3/4 of 11 Tons
I didn't say it was a guideline tho. I was merely saying to multiply 3/4 or 0.75 with the highest point of the tier (Which also happens to be the baseline of the next tier, as in, the highest point of a lower tier is the baseline starting point of the next tier, this isn't limited to any tier) to get the value required to upscale to the next tier.

A few more examples...

10-C/Below Average Human (40 joules being the highest point)- 0.75*40= 30 joules

10-B/Human level (100 joules)- 0.75*100= 75 joules

8-B (100 tons of TNT being the highest)- 0.75*100= 75 tons of TNT

4-B (20.08 teraFOE being the highest)- 0.75*20.08= 15.06 teraFOE

This is what I and M3X meant by "3/4 of the next tier". Do it separately for each tier.

Last edited:
I disagree with this being treated in the same vein as the + sign.

I think that we settled on using "( (The lower border of the next tier - The upper border of the preceding tier) x 3/4 ) + The upper border of the preceding tier".
I don't think an overcomplication like this is required. We already have a + sign that we use like this and that's enough. Not everything has to follow a well-defined rule, and more than half of the people in the thread disagree with having a specific limit, past which characters are free to get upscaled easily. Either don't have upscaling and just rate them as "higher", or allow upscaling on a case-by-case basis but still very strictly. I am not talking about being 1.5x away from the border of the next tier, I personally feel that's quite a large gap more often than not, and even if characters are 0.8 or 0.9x from the border of the next tier, someone oneshotting them shouldn't be loosely considered for upscaling, they should be strictly examined even then.

Either don't have upscaling and just rate them as "higher"

I suggested that fervently but some people don't like it. I don't know why people just want higher tiers instead of working with what we've got.

I try giving people hypothetical scenarios where tiering didn't exist and we had to look at the numerical value that characters scale to, but I was told by DemoGodMitchAubin that he wouldn't even consider such a scenario.

Upscaling to me, is as random as seeing someone one-shot a 145 Megaton character and deciding "It makes more sense if we rate them as 160 Megatons. Or 175 Megatons."

I do not mind using a midway point between the + sign for a previous tier and the lower border for the next one for upscaling purposes, and do not find such a system complicated, but that's me.

I think it'd be a good idea to mark that specific value for every tier in our AP chart too, though.
Anyway, what about this suggestion regarding the + signs? Is somebody willing to work on that?

Okay. Thank you for the information. Are any calc group members willing to check through and verify the values?

t9384qsjqoe21.jpg

We preferably need to verify before major changes.

AKM makes solid points as usual, but I still think that making the 1.1x or 1.05x the requirement for upscaling to be fine feels like the least bad thing to do. I also forgot to mention I heard that Touhou has a giant powerscaling chain that make's Dragon Ball Z's look miniscule by comparison. There exist 10^100 character with each character being massively above the last and bottom of the barrel on that list being a baseline Planet level character. So using 1.3 or 1.5x would stack to like massive degrees of 3-A however you look at it.

But anyway, I still think the 1.1x is reasonable however.

Uh, all Touhou characters are Tier 9 or tier 3/2, last time I checked. Besides, I'm pretty sure using 1.05 would still lead to 3-A in that kinda situation

That is true. It seems simple to use to me, but AKM usually knows what he is talking about.

I am against basing it off the + value in that way. I prefer consistency in the multiplier jump over sticking to another part of the tiering system. If you want a multiplier at roughly that point, I'd prefer you just give every tier a 1.33x multiplier requirement.

@DDM I think (and hope) that we're still only counting one jump for the purposes of upscaling, and that adding additional characters to the chain won't increase the tier.

Yeah, I don't think we should be going that far, only it's an example of something I heard from Kaltias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back