• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Record Of Ragnarok Discussion Thread #1

Anyways, RoR Memes

74k9a1x7ndc61.png

To be fair, I would not expect the themes we got so far from the gods they were used for, so who knows what kinds of potential thematic matchups everyone could have, especially considering the creative license that occurs

I mean, the first 2 made perfect sense to me. Big strong guys who fight a bunch and the father of humanity/(greek) gods. Fight 3 and 4 was very much a RoR thing though as its based purely on their in verse characters. 5 is ....... something. No clue what the theme there is tbh unless its a rehash of 1. I'm honestly glad that they take such liberties with the characters so that we can't just guess the matchups and gives us something to look forward to (besides the awesome fights that is).

5 I think had the theme of unrealized potential or destroying yourself by going all-out. As well as an exploration of how it can affect someone to be born as or become the strongest against your will.

Honestly I think Raiden and Shiva are fine characters and it makes me kind of upset how unfairly people were hating on them, especially considering that I'm almost positive they rushed the fight's conclusion due to the negative reception it got. They had too much to live up to, both fight scene and character-wise, considering they came right after 3 back-to-back 10/10 slam dunks. But they were hardly bland or unlikeable, and I for one found Raiden and Shiva's characters and relationship to have a fair bit more potential than the likes of Lu Bu and Thor.

Completely missed that tbh. I was looking for a theme that existed from the beginning of the fight like the others rather than one that came in near the end.

I can drink to that. When 5 was still coming out, I despised how slow everything was. It wasn't even an issue with Shiva or Raiden but just the fact that I felt like nothing was happening. When I reread it while looking for feats, it was much better to the point I was confused what my issue was with the fight.

Lu Bu vs Thor has the advantage of being the very first fight whose only purpose is to get people hyped for the rest of the series which it does incredibly well. It being followed up by Adam vs Zeus and Jack vs Herc means that the series was on a near constant rise making any halt or drop in momentum seem much worse than it is.. The Buddha conflict didn't help by pulling attention away from the fight either. Now that 5 is finished, I would say it goes 4>2>5>1>3 for me in terms of enjoyment.

Right, and it had the misfortune of the Buddha stuff being more plot-relevant since it added a lot to the overarching story in terms of reveals.

For me it definitely goes 3 = 4 = 2 >>> 1 = 5

5 would have been a lot higher if we got a bit more.

Now to be clear, the lowest item on this list is still like a 7/10, all the fights are still great.

In terms of favorite character it's definitely
Kojiro > Heracles = Jack > Adam > Poseidon = Zeus = Raiden > Thor = Shiva > Lu Bu

I feel like missed out with the last chapter of the fight when they just showed a whole montage of Shiva and Raiden swapping hands rather than using one of those other special techniques.

Character? I'd have to say Adam >= Jack/Herc > Zeus > Shiva/Raiden > Kojiro > Lu Bu > Poseidon

I'm rather curious about people's love for Poseidon's character. Design wise, he is definitely top tier but what is it about him that makes people like him?

It's almost a weird paradox where his one-note refusal to change is the most interesting thing about him.

Just the fact that he insists on being the perfect example of godhood and goodness despite the fact that none of the other gods act like him and he's probably the least moral character in the series. And the lapses in his perfect image add another layer to that, like when he can't keep himself from smiling or swearing when he gets too excited or pissed to maintain his composure. I think it causes him to be deceptively more layered than he looks.

Also he works very well as a contrast to Kojiro due to being an intimidating, overpowered, narcissistic, youthful, talented guy who refuses to even consider the notion of empathy. Contrast with Kojiro the inviting, underdog, humble, elderly, hard-working guy who appreciates the support of his friends and enemies alike.

Plus he's such a smug prick that it really makes every tiny victory against him all the more satisfying.

I would personally say more of a "love to hate" kinda thing. I like him as a character, and a part of his character is to be rooted against by the audience.

But yeah Kojiro is definitely my favorite, followed very closely by Jack and Heracles.

I also quite like Adam, he just barely gets edged out by Jack and Herc since they got a bit more development and character moments

Update on the leak:

Yeah, it people are saying its fake. It seems the Okita image was taken from Requiem or a previous chapter and Anubis was just a random god from the stands.

People are now saying it could be Nostradamus as the promotional had French newspaper clippings in the background.

If its Nostradamus, then he's probably fighting Apollo. In the god lineup, the two with future sight ability by default (without author additions), that Nostradamus is known for, are Odin (with his Ravens) and Apollo (with oracle prophecies).

Now Odin reeks of last boss and his future sight is direct and accurate so it probably isn't going to be him. Apollo's prophecies are just as cryptic as Nostradamus' writings. Apollo used plague arrows during the Trojan War to spread disease in the Greek camp while Nostradamus was a doctor who helped in fighting the plague spreading through Europe and by extension, France.

Note: not every page is out yet and the information might change with the full raw release.

The chapter seemingly starts off with Buddha and Zeus talking next to this "mini world tree" looking like tree. They exchange words and Zeus seems to threaten Buddha. Both release their auras. Buddha laughs and walks off (likely to get out of fighting Zeus).

Geir goes to the med bay and is eavesdropping on thr fish-gun luck god as he is getting his hand healed. She is caught by the other luck gods. Before anything happens to her, Jack the Ripper comes from behind a door holding a tea cup and looking like a gentleman.

Jack seems to get the gods off Gier and saves her. Jack has this little convo with Gier, and shows his development, talking about how he changed after fighting Herc. Gier gives Jack a smile, which flashes back to Hercs, seeing a bit of Herc in her.

Gier also mentions the 7 luck gods to Jack, which Jack is a little confused as with his eye he is able to sense more than 7 emotions among the gods.

Buddha has his entrance walking into the arena (pitch black) with lotus on the ground acting as lights. He also has this tool thing with him.

Buddha snatches the mic from the announcer and apparently declares he is a representive of humanity which shocks everyone except Brun and Zeus.

Things people have been saying, apparently their is this "Zero/0" thing or being. Which could be a secret god or some saying a human fighting for gods. Some also relate it to its meaning in buddhism, meaning void or emptiness. As of now we don't.

Last edited:
Which one do you think has the potential for the saddest deaths with spectators and all? It always gets me going when one side loses it and despairs as the one they were rooting bites the dust. Seeing the GODS weep in despair as Heracles died was so powerful. With Raiden, his own parents were there to see him fade into nonexistence, while his sumo buddies try to give him a good sendoff and say that tears don't belong there they are still crying at the loss of their precious Tameemon. It's one of my favourite parts of this manga alongside whenever the spectators are like "SHUT UP ALL OF YOU, DO YOU REALLY THINK HE'LL LOSE? HAVE FAITH IN HIM, HE'S NOT THE TYPE TO LOSE LIKE THAT!".

New chapter's out and some interesting developments. Buddha has defected to the human side as expected but perhaps more important is Jack's observation of the 7 Lucky Gods.

He doesn't see 7 of them, he sees a common emotional aura surrounding them which leads me to believe that the seven aren't actually seven but one god divided in seven.

My theory goes that there weren't 7 gods at the start but one primal god who's aspects started being worshipped separately in different regions of ancient Japan which led him to dividing himself into 7 individual gods. This is somewhat historically accurate as the 7 as a group didn't exist and each of them were worshipped separately and in separate regions. What made them into a group was coincidentally the advent of Buddhism into Japan where these 7 Shinto Deities were chosen for cultural appropriation along with one other, the 8th as you may say, called Hachiman (literally 8-man) who isn't particularly associated with the 7.

With regards to the extraordinary situation at hand, I think the gods are going to send the entire 7 gods to deal with Buddha. They're going to get wrecked by Buddha until they end up having to resort to fusing into the one god they used to be, the Zeroth God or Zero as said by Ebisu. Whether this Zeroth God is the true form of Hachiman or he is kept as a separate entity remains to be seen. From here on, it is anybody's match I guess, but I get the bad feeling that Buddha's going to lose.

This would also cause issues with the tournament organisation as there would be extra humans since Buddha defected. The author can resolve this by having some other unnamed gods step in, like say Hades. Or one of the humans also betrays their side with the prime candidates being Rasputin and Qin Shi Huang.

Last edited:
NGL, I had a feeling back when it was revealed that Buddha was among one of the contestants for the Gods that it'd be weird for him to be fighting for them if he was someone who once lived among the humans.

Then again so did Heracles here, but I forgot the full reason why Hercs still fought for the Gods. Was it something about maybe trying to persuade them into sparing humanity if he won and tried to reason with them? Been a minute since his and Jack's fight.

NGL, I had a feeling back when it was revealed that Buddha was among one of the contestants for the Gods that it'd be weird for him to be fighting for them if he was someone who once lived among the humans.

Then again so did Heracles here, but I forgot the full reason why Hercs still fought for the Gods. Was it something about maybe trying to persuade them into sparing humanity if he won and tried to reason with them? Been a minute since his and Jack's fight.
I believe that was indeed Heracles' reasoning.

Considering that in this series demigods seem to be humans that descended to godhood, rather than being hybrids, it could be that Buddha is another demigod like Heracles

I think that was just Heracles' mindset, tbh. I don't think that has anything to do with how the "humans ascending to Godhood" thing works.

Starts off with where it left of with Buddha saying he will fight for humans. Everyone is shocked, both Human ands gods:
-Shiva is smiling while having his hands in some goldfish bowl healing thing.
  • Thor smiles at this announcement
  • Aphrodite is going crazy as if she is going to step in
  • Loki and Odin are mad
  • Zeus is walking down as if he is going to step in

The bishmon and the gods of the 7 Japan luck gods come in with their giant flying ship.

They come down and say shit, the images show this being, probably the Zero figure and talk about him. It says something and shows multiple volcanos going off.

The 7 luck gods give Bishmon their weapons, the fish gun and their other shit.

They seem to fuse into one being which is likely the Zero figure

Back