• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Quick DMC speed adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already said that MHS is fine to add to the profiles. Although apparently Dante is Hypersonic+ for descending fast enough to catch fire?

What is the exact speed for him to do that.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I already said that MHS is fine to add to the profiles. Although apparently Dante is Hypersonic+ for descending fast enough to catch fire?

What is the exact speed for him to do that.
IIRC mach 5 to 23.

No ****

Dammit I made the intention to come here and upgrade the speed for DMC3....

At the very least the MHS rating should be changed, DMC3 profiles in general need revisions.

... Oh wow, this is bad.

I thought the statement was a multiplier.

Apparently it actually is "Time-controlling style in which the player can move at lightning quick speeds"

We need way more proof to accept Lightning Speed than just a statement of "Lightning fast!" with no backing, specially because it tends to be a very recurrent hyperbole.

It's the same thing with Lightspeed.

I dunno what to make.

Even the sub-relatvistic stuff is anomalous if you look at the actual calculation for it, since it was only one result out of others for the same projectile; that Dante never even dodged it to begin with.

@FDF

I disagree with that for obvious reasons.

We could however make Dante MHS+ scaling from Nevan. She has repeated descriptions of having lightning / electricticty based attacks, and the guitar is said to be "charged from the heavens", as in, charged with a thunderstrike.

What is Dante's speed during the rain scene, anyway?

As much as I'd love this, ten years is quite a long time of training and getting stronger.

That said, Dante really only fought fodder demons and Vergil got possessed.

Nevans lightning within the game is quite visibly nowhere near as fast as lightning; there doesn't appear to be any bullet-time esque effects which could justify the speeds it visually moves at.

Plenty of bullet dodging feats though, I remember a few between Lady & Dante; Nero & Dante (includes a point-blank revolver dodge).

@AMM

Perhaps it was inferred that Abigail's other projectiles should be the same speed. Besides, I think DMC1 may have had some light-based attacks, particularly from Nightmare. Have to check, though.

@Matt

Nevan sounds like a good idea if it is decided that a DMC3 key is necessary.

I've seen all sorts of calc for that feat, but they seem to mostly concern themselves with how many raindrops got slashed as opposed to Dante's speed proprtional to relatively immobile raindrops.

"Nevans lightning within the game is quite visibly nowhere near as fast as lightning"

I can't believe I'm doing this, but saying "doesn't seem fast" isn't a good argument when Devil May Cry is a videogame in which things are required to move at speeds in which the human player can react.

Nevan is explicitly described as being electricity.

Matthew Schroeder said:
@FDF What is Dante's speed during the rain scene, anyway?
Mach 20 at Lowball Mach 120 at highball.

Albeit Dante was extremely weak due to being unawakened and Vergil was holding back.

The Everlasting said:
@AMM
That doesn't at all imply the lightning isn't as fast as real lightning.
Well, if there is a lightning bolt which just based on visuals alone does not match the speed of a lightning bolt; there are no reasons to justify this (such as like a slow-down scene). Then we cannot just go and rate it as lightning fast anyways due to there being a statement saying it to be so, it would be akin to taking word of god over what we see for ourselves.

Anyways, in the actual fight I don't think lightning bolt projectiles are fired at you but rather they appear in collums and move towards you.

"match the speed"

Do you even know what you're suggesting right now?

"It doesn't look fast, so it isn't" is literally one of the worst arguments you can have. DMC is a video game that requires players to actually react to the projectules.

Matthew Schroeder said:
AMM, by your logic, Dante is Peak Human in speed during gameplay.
Indeed he would be, and so would pretty much all video game characters (at least, ones I know of). Which is why we don't analyze video game characters solely based on what they perform in gameplay, but what they perform outside of it e.g cutscenes, movies and comics.

What did I just even read.........

Anyway, Nevan has attacks where she fires a big bolt of lightning at Dante, one where she shocks the floor, and another where she uses lightning collums with bats.

Austrian-Man-Meat said:
Which is why we don't analyze video game characters solely based on what they perform in gameplay
First, we aren't going just by gameplay. Cutscenes + Demon File here.

Secondly, this isn't even 100% true.

In-gameplay, Kratos can dodge and parry Zeus' thunderbolts, which are actually much faster than real-life lightning based on feats. He never dodges or parries Zeus' lightning on cutscenes, but that doesn't make it not usable.

Okay. By that logic, ANY game with no clear cut difference between cutscenes and gameplay don't have any feats. Why is that kind of stuff still being debated?

I know these are statements but let me say this.

I understand statements are a little hard to justify, (Beuwolf Statement and Argosax being all powerful, both are singular statements that are contradicted by many other feats in the series), especially singular statements that are way out of context with feats, this however is not out of context.

Not only is it shown to be Lightning, but it's also stated to be Lightning, plus it's fairly consistent with the rain feat that was done by a ridiculously casual Vergil who didn't even Devil Trigger, nor were either of them trying to move as fast as possible, they were just focused on hitting eachother.

"First, we aren't going just by gameplay. Cutscenes + Demon Files here."

Okay that's fine, but I can calculate the speed of Nevans lightning and have it be much lower than real lightning despite whatever the demon files may imply.

"In-gameplay, Kratos can dodge and parry Zeus' thunderbolts, which are actually much faster than real-life lightning based on feats. He never dodges or parries Zeus' lightning on cutscenes, but that doesn't make it not usable."

Well, if Zeus' thunderbolts were calculated to be faster than lightning thats fine and dandy. I got no issues with that; I never said we cannot use gameplay feats under any circumstances. My point is that we just don't analyze a character based on what they do in-game exclusively; for characters that only have feats within gameplay we still operate on a basis of what we see > what is told to us and if that results in characters having adjustments, so be it.

"Okay that's fine, but I can calculate the speed of Nevans lightning and have it be much lower than real lightning despite whatever the demon files may imply."

No you can't. Apparent speed in gameplay is a thing.

"My point is that we just don't analyze a character based on what they do in-game exclusively; for characters that only have feats within gameplay we still operate on a basis of what we see > what is told to us and if that results in characters having adjustments, so be it"

So basically, you are telling us to do what we are already doing. We determine that Nevan lightning = real lightning based on statements of them being electricity and the fact that they are generated through her creating miniature clouds.

So this means that we know that Nevan's Lightning blasts = MHS+

"No you can't. Apparent speed in gameplay is a thing."

Could you elaborate? Because if it's the assumption that all footage we see in gameplay is slowed down then I disagree, because there are no visual effects (something like Blade Mode) which would imply that; it can be detected by looking at background movement etc. This results in a clear discrepancy between speed from what we see performed in gameplay, to what is shown in pretty much anything else. But we cant just excuse it by saying we're looking at effects which are not present at all.

"So basically, you are telling us to do what we are already doing"

No, I am not. Yes, the lightning may be coming from a cloud but the main issue is it's speed. Which we can spot visually, is not anywhere near real lightning with a great level of accuracy thanks to calculations. Which matters way more than a statement.

If the Nevan lightning feat is from DMC 3, perhaps a calculation can be done for that as well?

However, there needs to be sufficient proof that said electricity in question is stated, or shown to move as fast as real lightning here (For example: Cole's (Infamous) lightning bolts are the same as actual lightning, as Cole's lightning was shown to move at similar speeds to cloud-to-ground lightning in gameplay).

• Where is it stated that Nevan's lightning is the same speed as real lightning?
  • Is there a footage of Nevan summoning a stormcloud to attack an opponent with cloud-to-ground lightning?
plus it's fairly consistent with the rain feat that was done by a ridiculously casual Vergil

• And what is this feat that we are talking about, exactly? Is there a calculation link for this feat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back