• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Questions on Captain Marvel and her Black Hole feat

Does she not scale to anyone else in 4-B? It's a higher result than her personal feat.

Wokistan said:
Does she not scale to anyone else in 4-B? It's a higher result than her personal feat.
I've been looking around. She once met and fought Gladiator in her Binary form. She blasts him, he tanks it and takes her down in a few blows.

The only estimate I could really give is her is that she's 4-B but inferior to Gladiator and by that extention, Thor, Hulk, Silver Surfer, etc.

You did, but by using the speed of a meteor and not the Asteroid Belt.

Which is interchangeable.

Is that really a thing?

@Peter

Thank you.

@TheC2

That should probably be mentioned in her profile, preferably with linked images showing it.

The calc group members need to evaluate the blog.

There's quite a bit of misinterpretation going on in this thread.

To start with, she doesn't convert the mass of the black hole into energy. She states, quote, " felt electromagnetic and gravitational fields wanting me to push them around, felt fissile reactions building, waiting to move through me". They then say that she is "converting energy from proximate singularity". Captain Marvel is not converting the black hole into energy, she is absorbing energy and converting it into energy blasts.

In addition, what they say is not "she has converted 81% of the black hole", what they say is "81% efficiency", with the previous lines clarifying the context behind this as being the efficiency at which she is "converting energy from proximate singularity".

Essentially, what this means is that she is absorbing and converting energy from the black hole with 81% efficiency. If the black hole is providing her "1,000,000 Joules" to absorb and convert, then she would be blasting the Builders with "810,000 Joules" in turn.

Podonklos said:
There's quite a bit of misinterpretation going on in this thread.

To start with, she doesn't convert the mass of the black hole into energy. She states, quote, " felt electromagnetic and gravitational fields wanting me to push them around, felt fissile reactions building, waiting to move through me". They then say that she is "converting energy from proximate singularity". Captain Marvel is not converting the black hole into energy, she is absorbing energy and converting it into energy blasts.

In addition, what they say is not "she has converted 81% of the black hole", what they say is "81% efficiency", with the previous lines clarifying the context behind this as being the efficiency at which she is "converting energy from proximate singularity".

Essentially, what this means is that she is absorbing and converting energy from the black hole with 81% efficiency. If the black hole is providing her "1,000,000 Joules" to absorb and convert, then she would be blasting the Builders with "810,000 Joules" in turn.

So her AP is 81% dura in this regard?

No. What I'm saying is that the assumption behind the calculation (that she was converting the mass of the black hole into energy) isn't true. The text is stating that she's converting the energy emitted by the black hole into energy blasts at 81% efficiency, not that she is turning the black hole itself into energy.

It's the difference between absorbing the energy emitted by the Sun (4e26 J/s) and converting the Sun itself into energy (1.7e47 J). Your calculation is tens of orders of magnitude higher than what she's actually doing here.

@Podonklos

Thank you for the clarification. So should any references to the black hole feat be removed from the Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) page, and if so, would you be willing to handle it?

Thanks. This is mind blowing.

Curious to know: how you measure the emission of the black hole such devoured?

(Sad it is late night in my time zone ttyl)

@Antvasima

Yes, I can handle that.

@Jasonsith

The luminosity of a black hole is dependent on the rate at which it gains mass. Unfortunately, this isn't something we can really calculate unless we had a ridiculous amount of information on the black hole.

@Podonklos

Okay. Thank you. I will unlock the profile then. Tell me here when you are done.

It would probably useful if you write a brief explanation for why we do not use the feat in a notes section near the bottom of the page.

So, is anyone having a formula of total energy emission from a black hole? Because normally it just takes 1 J / year by Hawking radiation for a black hole to partially emit its energy to destroy itself.

Just to ensure Carol's 4-B rating, since the black hole feat is inapplicable, has she fought anyone on Gladiator or even Thor's level ever since?

Natse said:
Just to ensure Carol's 4-B rating, since the black hole feat is inapplicable, has she fought anyone on Gladiator or even Thor's level ever since?
I've been looking around for such occasions for like a week...and found little. Carol as a character just never has had the real spotlight for the longest time, whether as Binary or Ms. Marvel. As such, she hasn't fought a lot of Marvel's upper tiers nor does she have a good number of feats at this level,

The only other real thing I could find was when she took a hit from Thanos in Binary form. But that highlights the problem. She's a lot of flash but little substance. She only has these sparse showings, here or there for a few panels. For now, I just take it as she's 4-B but she's not quite on the level with other Marvel 4-Bs. Put her up against the real heavy hitters and she falls short.

Not even as Captain Marvel, with Marvel's multiple attempts at making her as equally important as Iron Man even before the movie came out? I ask this because since the black hole feat has been rendered inapplicable, she needs other things to keep her at 4-B in accordance with the Marvel and DC power-scaling rules. Having a bad showing against Gladiator for two panels isn't enough and could be considered an outlier.

The problem with Carol as Captain Marvel is that they keep making comics but not really doing anything of note in them. Nothing that we can point to and say 'There! RIGHT THERE! She's 4-B!'.

It doesn't help that originally, she got her Binary powers, then seemingly lost them, only to get them back years later. So there's good portion of her history where she doesn't even have her most powerful form.

The more I look into it, the more infuriated I get. Really, at this point, Marvel's attempts to show her as powerful are superficial and boil down to 'She's awesome! See how we keep putting her in comics! Just trust us!'. She hasn't really had a throwdown with anyone or enough people to paint a consistent picture. It also doesn't help that even when she does, it's not in Binary form usually.

...Which is sad, because I'd hoped they'd do some cool stuff with her.

Sigh... esp. when many Marvel female characters are having more feats, e.g. Phoenix can rewrite a universe, Rogue can copy and rob abilities by touching, Hela can crush Thor's Mjolnir with 1 hand...

I would laugh to my tears if Carol is just weaker than Hercule or even Dan.

Who knows? Maybe now that the movie is out, Marvel will synergize with it and give Carol more Binary feats in the comics or come up with some new form that we will have to create another key for. One of us would have to be willing to wait for that to happen though.

@Ant

As Natse pointed out, Carol's 4-B rating really has to go because we don't have a concrete feat to put her into that Tier nor can we truly compare her to anyone due to such limited showings.

We know that her Binary form is stronger than her normal levels but that's really it until Carol gets more feats.

During Mark Gruenwald's Quasar run, Quasar mentioned that she is more powerful than himself, and she has also fought Gladiator. From what I recall, she was supposed to have raw power comparable to a herald of Galactus.

Perhaps, although we definitely cannot make Binary High 6-C.

She also has a feat of overwhelming Spectrum which would make her 5-B at least. So definitely not High 6-C. It really going to depend though. The statement of her being comparable than a Herald of Galactus would support either High 4-C or 4-B.

Quasar is 4-B and stated that she is more powerful, and she has fought Gladiator.

Do you have a page of Binary fighting Spectrum TheC2? We could have a rating of "At least 5-B, possibly 4-B" on our hands.

Contributes to the "possibly 4-B" part of the rating since it's Mk 51 Iron Man but nothing that will make her a concrete 4-B.

Natse said:
Do you have a page of Binary fighting Spectrum TheC2? We could have a rating of "At least 5-B, possibly 4-B" on our hands.
Binary vs Spectrum

In addition, the problem with Carol fighting MK 51 Iron Man is that she's matching him in base form not Binary. That honestly reeks of PIS. If she were Binary form, it could make some sense but BASE???

Binary vs Spectrum

In addition, the problem with Carol fighting MK 51 Iron Man is that she's matching him in base form not Binary. That honestly reeks of PIS. If she were Binary form, it could make some sense but BASE???

If Carol can fight a 4-B Iron Ma in base form, then she is 4-B in base form and higher in Binary.

Unless she was "fairly" defeated by a character weaker than Iron Man and then she was scaled to that character. It was previously stated she lost to Gladiator (but that cannot scale because she heavily lost on that fight). But Gladiator scales to Thor and obviously Captain Marvel does not scale to Thor.

Ah IMO Iron Man does not scale to Thor by the way.

Jasonsith said:
If Carol can fight Iron Man in base form, then she is 4-B at base and higher in Binary.

Unless she was "fairly" defeated by a character weaker than Iron Man and then she was scaled to that character. It was previously stated she lost to Gladiator (but that cannot scale because she heavily lost on that fight).
Except that MK 51 Iron Man is comparable, if not superior to all his previous armors, including the MK 31 Hulkbuster (that took on She-Hulk, Luke Cage, Wolverine, Spider-Man AND Ms. Marvel (Carol) at the same time), MK 36 Hulkbuster (which briefly fought World Breaker Hulk) and to his Endo-Sym which utterly destroyed his MK 36 Hulkbuster in two attacks.

Carol has never been near the 4-B level at her base. Ever. One feat against the majority of her career does not justify bumping her base to 4-B. Especially that one of Tony's previous armors was beating her and several other heroes. Her fighting evenly with MK 51 Iron Man is PIS without more feats to back it up and show it's consistent. She's also pretty outlcassed by Green Hulk. She needed help to make him let go.

It's like saying that because Venom fought on par with Juggernaut once, he should be 4-B.

Back