• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Considering Angra Mainyu was affecting a Cave at least 3 KMs across and shaking it so heavily the geography of the area was getting violently shifted and destroyed and the whole cave going down, I really doubt Fate will be much affected.
Yeah that should be fine then.

So if an earthquake is made on ground and destroys where the character hit and makes a earthquake the size of over 1km is what an earthquake should be considered?

So rip mha's earthquake and rwbys earthquake

@Hellbeast

Actually, Waluigi needs an upgrade because he goes #1

Once again, the radiated waves method is based on a meteor hitting the surface, not a normal earthquake. How far away the meteor is expected to be when noting the degree of tremors caused by it, that will decide what the proper range should be, not the typical radius of a natural earthquake caused by tectonic activity, if that's what you are using

Does the formula currently used take into account how away from away from the earthquake's source the effects are being felt? Because if they do I feel like they would be accurate even without the shaking going over a certain large area

Radiated waves are definitely more reliable than Total Seismic Energy. But I mean, examples of people jumping which lightly shook the ground for a second and made pots fall of shelves wouldn't be a enough for an earthquake. Making a cavern collapse via generating an earth tremor would still be 7-C though.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Making a cavern collapse via generating an earth tremor would still be 7-C though.
Uh, no?

You could accomplish that with a few well-placed sticks of dynamite, let alone radiated waves equivalent to a small nuke going off.

Andytrenom said:
Does the formula currently used take into account how away from away from the earthquake's source the effects are being felt? Because if they do I feel like they would be accurate even without the shaking going over a certain large area
Probably not.

The difference is the few sticks of dynamite are chain reactions + some degree of precision, casual radiated waves especially from a distance is Attack Potency.

And radiated waves that produce the same force over that area wouldn't also happen to hit those hypothetical weak points and cause a collapse? It's pretty circumstantial.

It ca be Attack Potency, but that's also up to circumstance.

Well let's say someone was able to cause a cave to tremble just by standing still and their aura/demonic energy passively caused the cave to collapse.

So what are the summarised conclusions here?

Antvasima said:
So what are the summarised conclusions here?
No radical change, but it would be preferred if a KE created Earthquake shows magnitude comparable to the, well, magnitude. A magnitude 9 earthquake permanently moved Japan, so making a few hundred meters shake really hard isn't enough to assume that level of earthquake.

If it can be calced, it's not with earthquake method. If stuff was breaking, maybe you can try to assume it's a shockwave and how powerful it would need to be to break stone/whatever at 3 km distance? Not sure.

The cavern collapse

https://lparchive.org/Fatestay-night/Update 380/

"Understood. I will carry Rin and Sakura.
Please rest assured. I have rested enough for that."
"Please. Go outside with those two. The cavern's collapsing. Um, RR- damn, your speed would have no problem with the falling rocks."

https://lparchive.org/Fatestay-night/Update 384/

…But it wasn't perfect. Maybe Ilya's Third Sorcery didn't match the original.
A few days after the cavern collapsed, the Shirou Rider found was just a bit different from the Shirou we knew.
…No, she didn't find him, she picked him up… no, it was more like she plucked him out.

Take that to it's own crt, but there ain't no way magnitude 9 is justified by virtue of collapsing a cavern.

I an uncertain regarding what exactly that is suggested that we should accomplish here. Can somebody summarise it please?

From here on, the ground shaking alone is not enough to use the earthquake chart. The shacking has to be realistic to an actual earthquake in size, too, so shacking a building is not 7-C just for doing it really violently.

An exemple to understand is Jurassic Park T-Rex making the cup of water vibrate by walking, but not being High 8-C because the vibrations ended in a few dozen meters.

If the "main magnitude" of the earthquake is a few almost a km┬▓ however the earthquake keeps going father just that its weaker count's?

What is the question there? If you are asking if that's a good enough reason to assume it's realistic enough (have a few kilometers of range at that magnitude, gets weaker as it goes) then yes, that would be fine.

@Ricsi

Okay. I suppose that seems to make sense, but you will need help from DontTalkDT and the calculation group to apply this in practice for our instruction pages.

Is somebody willing to ask DontTalkDT, Ugarik, and Antoniofer to help out here?

Antvasima said:
@Ricsi

Okay. I suppose that seems to make sense, but you will need help from DontTalkDT and the calculation group to apply this in practice for our instruction pages.
Anyone?

Soooo... we just add some note like "Shaking a minor area should not be assumed to automatically translate to an earthquake. Either a large area should be known to be affected or there should be evidence that we are dealing with something earthquake-like and not just some minor shaking." to the earthquake calculations page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back