• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Thing upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grudgeman1706

VS Battles
Retired
Alright so one thing that bothers me about the things profile is his AP and Durabilty. I mean the Thing for a couple reasons should have at least moon level or possibly planet level Durabilty, while he loses almost everytime, Ben Grimm has taken massive beatings from the hulk multiple times, heck in the AvX series, Ben was able to overpower and win against namor [UNDERWATER.], while I know the marvel handbooks have them on the same tier, namor has been able to take on opponents like hulk and silver surfer and take multiple hits, and as for the thing we can't deny he taken massive beatings from the hulk, in one issue even [overpowered the grey hulk], (albeit he was amped up) and the grey hulk (while the weakest incarnation) was still able to destroy an asteroid Twice the size of earth. I know about are rules with powers scaling with marvel characters, and the whole "different writers different powers" rules, but I'm not asking to make thing the same rank as hulk, but he shouldn't be THAT far behind, that's why I think planet level fits him, at least for Durabilty, AP can be discussed or denied. Also just a random feat, but Ben Grimm was able to fight with the Champion of the universe and gave him one hell of a fight.

Well, I am also extremely frustrated about that it seems impossible to properly scale the Marvel characters, due to the ridiculously extreme levels of inconsistency, both within the comics and the handbooks. It is likely our most messed up featured franchise because of this.

However, I am uncertain what we should do about it? Sometimes I think that it would be best to only feature profiles for popular characters with their own feats to scale from, and ignore both power-scaling and the handbooks.

Anyway, Hulk has never been displayed at anywhere near his highest levels of power when fighting the Thing or Namor, so for the moment we are probably limited to scaling from their own highest feats. Feel free to mention any that you find here.

Antvasima said:
Well, I am also extremely frustrated about that it seems impossible to properly scale the Marvel characters, due to the ridiculously extreme levels of inconsistency, both within the comics and the handbooks. It is likely our most messed up featured franchise because of this.

However, I am uncertain what we should do about it? Sometimes I think that it would be best to only feature profiles for popular characters with their own feats to scale from, and ignore both power-scaling and the handbooks.

Anyway, Hulk has never been displayed at anywhere near his highest levels of power when fighting the Thing or Namor, so for the moment we are probably limited to scaling from their own highest feats. Feel free to mention any that you find here.
I fee yah on that part as well

And yes you are correct hulk has never gone fully powered on hulk, but he has surged and tanked hulk when he was a bit bloodlusted, this should constitute a higher Durabilty rating than what he is listed, at the minimum moon level or planet level at most(we still have that hydraulic press feat iirc), and that fest of thing fighting namor underwater is still very much legitimate and both fighters have figure into the past hard, and the fact that thing was able to overpower namor underwater and tank his blows is a feat of its own.

Theirs also that one time thing fought and pummeled Rulk(albeit he was in a weaker state than normal) but their is that one time he tanked hits from a cytorak infused colossus(who was able to pummel and severely bleed Rulk) so these are good feats of Durabilty I say to constitute my proposed rating.

But Im open to more thoughts on this

Well, the problem is that then we would have to upgrade all of the other characters that are officially listed on the Thing's power level as well, including Sandman and the Rhino.

Antvasima said:
Well, the problem is that then we would have to upgrade all of the other characters that are officially listed on the Thing's power level as well, including Sandman and the Rhino.
Well one thing marvel is very bad at doing for their rankings, is explaining how charscters are at that level. Sand mans ability to grow larger and become almost untouchable with his intangibilty are some probable reasons he's rated at these levels. As for rhino I'm not sure

Ant we also have to take into consideration how INCREDIBLY broad the categories marvel places their characters, a good example are poeple ranked in the class above 100 tons, where people like ironman and the she hulk are placed in the same ranking as hulk(even though it's been clearly shown the difference in stnrgtstrwngtstrength she hulk and iron man are to the hulk)

One thing marvel doesn't want to ever want to address is how truly strong characters are. Because if they did they would have very limited or no strokes to write, so many times they are inconsistent because those reasons, however one thing a lot of people forget is that marvel usually writes reasonings on why certain charscters can fight these characters or even win in previous issues or after the feat has been done. A good example is spiderman curb stomping the hulk in one issue, but we are told beforehand he gained the power of xo sic so he gets this gigs tic boost in strength.

I'm getting a little off topic, but I don't think we need to scale EVERYONE who are considered on the same tierr in marvel, UNLESS they have consistently shown to match these charscters in battle(for example Namor would be scaled since he has fought both the hulk and thing, but someone like rhino would probably not scale since he has been stomped by hulk, and has loss pretty badly to the thing,)

So my question antvasima is, can we scale things Durabilty(possibly AP) to planet level at least for being able to surve hits from heavy hitters like hulk,champion of the universe,Rulk,and colossus with the cytorak stone.

Edit okay I missed out on some feats like rhino I paint Thor with his new horn made up of the Midgard serpent tooth, but I'm not sure wherever to call this PIS or scale him too planet level as he was able to pierce classic hulk with his old horn, and being able to somewhat hurt a de powered juggernaut, I feel safer just keeping him at the same rating, but say his horn can ignore Durabilty up to a planetary Durabilty.

No. Sorry, but we cannot make exceptions. Most popular Marvel characters have likely survived blows from other characters that are at least millions of times more powerful than they are, including Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back