• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible TES revision (et-ada and higher)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through the discuss section and I found someone who had written this:

""Know that there are places beyond Tamriel where the cunning and the wary can go to learn forgotten spells. I speak of the planes of Oblivion. The sea of limitless dimensions contains an endless series of islands. Some are controlled by the mighty Daedric Princes; others are loosely connected to one minor Daedra Lord or another. On these islands, creatures dwell who possess secrets out of time. Some are there of their own volition, but others are banished there for crimes either heinous or imagined."

Now, I've seen this in a debate before, but people incorrectly assumed dimension=universe. Upon reading the text you notice that oblivion is a "sea of limitless dimensions" which 'contains' "an endlesd series of islands" and these islands are controlled by the daedric princes. So by the context, grammar and punctuation, you can clearly see that universes = endless series of islands and that dimensions are distinct properties of oblivion as it is described as a sea "of" limitless dimensions, "containing" an endless series of islands.
Further references to higher dimensions are found in the book 'Liminal bridges' which refers to the hyperagonality of oblivion. Please try to see the distinction between dimensions and universes presented in the text before dismissing the evidence."

As I said before, I did not write this, someone else did in the discuss option and Im moving it here for further discussion.

Thoughts?

Well, I still find it more likely that this is the standard western fictional inaccuracy of referring to universes as "dimensions". At the very least we cannot make any extreme upgrades to 1-B or High 1-B without lots of staff input.

Could the Daedric princes then at least be changed to "Possibly High 1-B" as the text makes the distinction between universe and dimension by describing the dimensions as properties of oblivion and the islands as universes? This as a temporary change as you stated, requires more verification so until a contrary argument or agreement is presented could a possibly tier be added?

Furthermore in the text of 'Liminal bridges' the term 'hyperagonality' is used which is as i understand it the concept of degrees of freedom perpendicular to all our existing dimensions to any quantifiable degree i.e. 5 dimensional all the way to infinity. Admittedly there is a lot of jargon in the text, but it is most logically interpreted as requiring travel in extra dimensions to reach oblivion. I'm sure you've heard it before, but the hist-jillian wars involved occurances of battles in confirmed higher dimensions and the projection of higher dimensional mathematics as manifested physical attacks. I know you dismissed it before, but it does show that TES knows what spatial dimensions are and how they are distinct from universes.

Unfortunately there are various western works that use the word dimension for both universes and geometry at the same time.

We cannot upgrade the pages without more specific information, and input from staff members knowledgeable about the franchise.

Go ahead.

Bedsides I just checked where this came from, elder scrolls online. The game has a reputation for screwing up lore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back