• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Popeye and Bluto revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Popeye should have Class 100 lifting strength for his base state, as in "Spinach Packin' Popeye", he lifted a house without eating spinach first. He should also have Mind Manipulation, as he was able to hypnotize others after reading a book about hypnosis. He also deserves a minor resistance to freezing, as he was still conscious after being frozen solid in a block of ice, and was able to free himself with his pipe. Finally, he should have a proper stamina rating. He should have extremely high stamina in his base state since in "Spinach Packin' Popeye", he donated a gallon of blood to the blood bank and recovered within a day. There's also the fact that he caught bullets while critically injured, and he can endure prolonged fights before resorting to spinach. With spinach, his stamina becomes temporarily infinite, as it restores all stamina, heals all wounds, and makes him temporarily invulnerable, and he can theoretically keep summoning and eating spinach whenever the effect wears off.

Bluto should have superhuman speed instead of relativistic speed, since he can only keep up with Popeye before he eats spinach. He should also have transmutation. This was shown in "Fistic Mystic" when he turned Popeye into a parrot with his magic.

"Spinach Packin'" implies that Popeye had already eaten spinach before the episode, and it was simply showcasing his feats.

Also, given that he eventually runs out of power from the spinach and needs to refuel, he cannot have infinite stamina.

The rest is probably fine.

I don't see any evidence he ate it before the episode. In any case, shall I add these?

I would note that he has extremely high stamina in base and that it becomes immense when he eats spinach.

If the episode title says that this is Popeye with spinach, it certainly seems heavily implied.

Well, the problem is that the spinach power eventually runs out.

He isn't actually shown eating spinach in the episode in the present (the episode is partly a clip show which shows scenes from two other shorts where he ate spinach. Do give proper context, the episode starts with him in a blood bank resting in a hospital bed after having just donated a gallon of blood (a literal gallon) and he falls asleep and has a nightmare where he loses to Bluto in a boxing match and Olive Oyl dumps him. In the nightmare, he reminds her of the times he beat Sinbad the Sailor and the 40 thieves after eating spinach, but she just states that while he may have been strong than, he's just a weakling now. He than wakes up from the nightmare still at the blood bank and rushes to Olive's home, having recovered from his gallon of blood donation, to impress her with his strength by lifting her house, without eating spinach first).

So what, briefly limitless with spinach? far higher with spinach?

Okay. That seems fine then.

Maybe very high with spinach? The power eventually runs out, and that is a large part of what stamina means.

I'd say donating a gallon of blood and fully recovering within a day and being able to catch bullets while critically injured would already qualify his base state for extremely high stamina, and spinach makes it vastly superior. What ratings would you suggest for base and with spinach?

Please don't use the "Feats" topic for regular threads that implement stuff via feats.

The last link doesn't work. "Very high" stamina works, we don't really have standards for it so high, very high and extremely high become interpretable. The rest is fine aside from what Ant pointed out.

I didn't add in the feats category, someone else did.

So, Very high (donated a gallon of blood and fully recovered within a day, could catch bullets while critically injured), Very high (far superior to base)?

"Very high (Donated a gallon of blood and fully recovered within a day, could catch bullets while critically injured), far higher with spinach"

Okay. I will unlock the Popeye page. Tell me here when you are done.

I see you already took care of locking it again. Good work, although I wonder if one day he should get his shotgun listed as optional equipment and have standard tactics listed. That will be saved for another day though. For now, I'm gonna see hat help his hypnosis provides him in his currently ongoing versus matches. I must say, even without his spinach, he's a very tough 9-B character. Casually lifting a house, catching bullets, surviving the complete destruction of his physical body, donating a gallon of blood (that's 8 pints or 80% of your blood) and fully recovering within a day, some of the greatest toonforce in history, even in his base state, he must be one of the single most powerful 9-B characters on here.

Okay.

Should I close this thread, or is there something left to do here?

It can be closed. After some of his current matches finish up, I'll ask you to unlock his article again in the future so I can add in optional equipment and standard tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back