• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon's Verse Cleanup

Isn't one of Magikarp's moves in Let's Go one where it can soar high into the exosphere with a single leap? Or was that something else?

Suppose it doesn't matter. I do know that Seismic Toss or something like it has the animation of the 'mon being pressed against the planet like how it was described to do in Gen 1.

I'm almost positive we likely don't use these animations but then again, they are like the only shown feats in Sword and Shield beyond statements from characters and lore that is rather sparse given these are still new. Only fully evolved 'mon can learn it IIRC so I don't think it's gonna cause any problems.

But then again, I suppose if we make this exception than a lot of other things would have to be looked at as well, so nah. Mayne not on second thought.

Honestly, the fact that this is so hard to understand boggles me.

Babies are comparable.

Unevolved first stage Pokémon are comparable.

Middle stage are comparable.

Final are comparable.

Legendaries scale to their own feats.

There's nothing hard to understand about this. People in this thread are just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. If the Twister feat is illegitimate, sure. Discuss that. I mean, Earth Power still exists, but still. But arguing inconsistencies on a very explainable system, and hyping it up to be Marvel levels of inconsistent? Not cool. The freaking Tournament of Power is more inconsistent than this series. You all are just making it out to be much worse than it sounds.

This isn't to anyone in particular. But to everyone.

Well I mean it's because what else are we gonna do? Zubat is absolute trash fodder and so is Pichu. But I suppose that's enough.

Plus I wasn't even being serious. Not gonna even suggest those ridiculous degrees of scaling you brought up.

Though on the animations for Moves, in Galar, only Throh and the Machamp line can learn Seismic Toss, so I feel at least in this gen it's a unique ability that can be attributed to those 'mon. Granted, I doubt it'll upgrade their strength but at least provide visible proof of the speeds they can fight at. Also, Mega Ray had the Dragon Ascent animation showcase MFTL+ speed and now he's got scaling to back it up which I find funny.

The real cal howard said:
Babies are comparable.

Final are comparable.

There's nothing hard to understand about this. People in this thread are just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. If the Twister feat is illegitimate, sure. Discuss that. I mean, Earth Power still exists, but still. But arguing inconsistencies on a very explainable system, and hyping it up to be Marvel levels of inconsistent? Not cool. The freaking Tournament of Power is more inconsistent than this series. You all are just making it out to be much worse than it sounds.

The anime and the games have extreme inconsistencies with how unevolved pokemon can defeat their evolved state (which was like as early as Pikachu beating Raichu) and how it makes no sense.

It just means that scaling is very difficult in pokemon

That is fine most of us get how it works. The issue is whether to composite the profiles when it leads to a large amount of feats being called outliers based off of scaling in another setting, making it inconsistent artificially.

@Nemo

"Clearly" in your mind speaks to how subjective that position of yours is. I understand why you feel like Rhyhorn is more significant, but that emotional position would lead me to believe that Pichu and other baby mons are comparable to Zubat because it's fodder. Same with Caterpie and Weedle. They FEEL weak. It's not enough to simply feel like rhydon is too strong to scale, but even then, we still have the diglett feat as well. There's two. I don't see the issue. Using the same standards for Rhyhorn hype, Digglet i s definitely basic Pokémon tier, and there's the problems. Like how basic shitty Pokémon like pidgey scale to the starters that should be able to fight a rhyhorn with high difficulty and type effectiveness. This... No. I'm unfollowing.

The scaling is currently just fine. And unless we rate Pichu at Zubat level, I think a Pichu is going to be eaten by Zubat, and probably bullied by Caterpie as well. Everything is fine imo

The real cal howard said:
Babies are comparable.

Final are comparable.

Well the original purpose of this thread was to show that the Horsea feat is exaggerated, that's why I think most of the Unevolved Pokemon should scale to Diglett and Rhyhorn, and Normal Pikachus should lose the two feats from the anime,as the first one was amped and the second one was done by a Pikachu beyond the others.

And I think not all Unevolved Pokemon scale to each other, you know, Caterpie isn't anywhere close to a Charmander.

We don't have the Diglett feat, actually. I made a post about that, but everyone has conveniently overlooked it. Since everyone has, I will repost it.

"feebas_factor on NarutoForums wrote: 'Eh... I kinda have to object to this one. No where in the attack description does it ever mention lava, and even in-game the attack is ground-typed whereas every other lava attack in Pokemon is fire-typed. Not to mention the fact that (as you noted) both the anime and the manga depict the attack as simply a generic burst of energy released from the ground. So pretty much the only implication that lava is even involved is the animation sequence for the attack in-game, which for a calc I feel is pretty shaky ground'

Since both the anime and the manga depict it as something different, we can probably throw it out the window."

"Look at the visuals, the description including "erupts with power" and even the name "Earth Power"

You cannot tell me that doesn't make lava the most likely possibility for the technique.

So sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with your sentiments on this."

KaiserWombat's response to what Nemo quoted.

It's depicted differently in the anime and the manga, usually as a Pokemon slamming their fist into the ground, cracking it, and shooting up some earth in the process. If it was lava, the move would be like, Magma Power or something. Erupt is a word with multiple meanings that don't necessarily mean volcanoes or lava. Nowhere are underground shafts of magma implied beyond the word "erupt." Anime and manga together make what happens in the game pretty much irrelevant.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Earth_Power_(move)

None that is why it deserves its own thread. On to the general Pokémon fixing so that pinchurin can get a good profile/profiles.

Honestely the only thing I am doubting here is that statment that both the anime, manga and games are all canon to each other, it keeps getting stated but with no source so that's that really

HenryWong122 said:
There are a lot of games that could be considered better RPGs than Pokemon, but what defines a good RPG?
For Starforce it's story, premise, presentation, gameplay, music, characters, graphics, content, etc.

Theuser789 said:
Honestely the only thing I am doubting here is that statment that both the anime, manga and games are all canon to each other, it keeps getting stated but with no source so that's that really
There isn't ONE, there are TWO. One saying that everything the Pokémon do on the anime can also be done in the games, and one regarding the story of the PokéSpe manga made Satoshi Taijiri himself.

There are more game depictions of it than anime and manga depictions put together. Plus 'erupt', when it's not referring to a volcano, generally means a "sudden" event (e.g. "the crowd erupted into violence"). The former meaning makes more sense here.

For what it's worth, a fair few fire types learn the move as well.

The first of those statements doesn't mean that they scale to each other though just that in the games they are at minimum as strong as anime characters. If I break a wooden plank then someone far stronger then me could still break the wood Plank.

Back