• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon profiles. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordAizenSama

VS Battles
Retired
So..upon finding more things that make me think our pokemon profiles are still a mess, I've come to the conclusion that:

This is too hard too fix, and just not worth it.

I keep finding more and more reasons to think there should be a ban on non legendary pokemon profiles, seeing as way too complicated to scale pokemon and theres literally no chance new users, or even experienced ones are ever going to get things scaled correctly, i'm thinking action needs to be taken..

We have a Charizard here, who is tiered from a pokedex entry from a long forgotten Pokemon game who is being scaled to god knows how many Pokemon anime profiles

And then it's speed stat is from the anime. *throws hands up*

Heres the kicker. we actually have, a Hypersonic, Town level Magikarp.

Town level James confirmed?

So yeah. I'm thinking we delete ALL the non legendary Pokemon profiles and add a rule to prevent more non legendaries being made. it's just way too difficult to keep trying to repair it..

Agreed 100%. If they are too much trouble to keep and fix, don't even bother keeping them here.

I think we should delete almost all non-legendaries. Though I honestly don't see a problem with keeping ones who have stats solely based on calcs of their own stuff and not scaling. For instance, Charizard is a species. Just because a strong Charizard can perform a town level feat does not mean literally any Charizard ever can do the same, so something that defeats a random Charizard in the anime should not scale.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
I think we should delete almost all non-legendaries. Though I honestly don't see a problem with keeping ones who have stats solely based on calcs of their own stuff and not scaling. For instance, Charizard is a species. Just because a strong Charizard can perform a town level feat does not mean literally any Charizard ever can do the same, so something that defeats a random Charizard in the anime should not scale.
^^^ this

@Aza I have doubts over the validity of the feat anyway, it's from a old spinoff game.

and our pokemon profiles are supposed to be composites from one source of media. anime/games whatever.

then you got the issue of the fact that our charizards has other stats come from other media. IE: games and anime

it's too hard too maintain and keep track of, I'd much rather delete it.

I see no problems with using composite feats. If there are legitimate calcs from a form of media for a type of pokemon (that does not resolve around any powerscaling), then there should be no issue with it.

Also, just from eyeballing nothing but AP, these are the profiles I noticed which should go.

• Greninja (solely based on powerscaling)
  • Zoroark (solely based on powerscaling)
  • Porygon (solely based on powerscaling)
  • Salamence (Very confusing justification)
  • Dragonite and Dragonair (confusing reasoning, no link to specified feats)
  • Magikarp (Everything but evolving Magikarp is based on powerscaling)

LordAizenSama said:
composite? you mean cross scale feats from over all forms of media for pokemon?
Nah. Not all forms of media. Only the most popular and prominent, which would be the games, anime, and possibly the manga.

So far, I have only seen stats which come from one of the first two.

Just to get this straight, you are ok with Having a AP feat in the manga, A speed feat in the anime, and other stats for the games all on one profile?

LordAizenSama said:
Just to get this straight, you are ok with Having a AP feat in the manga, A speed feat in the anime, and other stats for the games all on one profile?
If it is for a species and highlights the best they are capable of, then yes. As I said before, not all Charizards are the same, so we go with the absolute best we can get from the strongest Charizards. I doubt you would ever see a thread like "X vs a sort of middling level Charizard".

If it is for a single character, then no.

We treat Charizard as a Species but don't use it to scale to other Charizards in other media. only a composite of that one media to avoid inconsistencies.

Again, unless the profile is supposed to be for a specific Charizard, there's not really a reason for composite feats not to be used. It's a profile for all of them, not one in particular.

The only inconsistencies I've seen arise have been the result of wonky scaling between pokemon (hypersonic Magikarp) as opposed to taking individual feats from different media.

I agree don't give up on Pokemon just use composited versions since most battles including them are that version anyway to avoid these types of mishaps

I think Azzy has the best idea. Its the only way we can keep the Pokemon profiles and not over-complicate the whole thing. Even then, some Pokemon profiles are perfectly fine, like Machamp and Ampharos.

I agree with deleting non-legendary profiles. Legendary pokémon profiles are easy to do because they serve certain functions/ purposes in the verse, so their feats can be justified (Creation Trio, Weather Trio) and their feats in different media are not that different anyway. Non-legendary just don't have anything to scale from

Why must the anime complicate things? I vote that we base all non-legendarys on game appearances/lore, and MAYBE have a separate profile for the anime Pikachu.

Lasatar said:
Why must the anime complicate things? I vote that we base all non-legendarys on game appearances/lore, and MAYBE have a separate profile for the anime Pikachu.
Game mechanics... 2-C Mega Rayquaza and Mega Mewtwo...

Lasatar said:

I think anime Pikachu should get his own divider at the very least, he's easily notable enough for that.

"Hypersonic, Town Level Magikarp".

Should be higher.

The Magikarp is the supreme Pokemon.

Otherwise, I'm all up for an upgrade in Pokemon.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Also, just from eyeballing nothing but AP, these are the profiles I noticed which should go.
  • Greninja (solely based on powerscaling)
  • Zoroark (solely based on powerscaling)
  • Porygon (solely based on powerscaling)
  • Salamence (Very confusing justification)
  • Dragonite and Dragonair (confusing reasoning, no link to specified feats)
  • Magikarp (Everything but evolving Magikarp is based on powerscaling)
Llama, does this call upgrading to you? Cause i can't tell if your joking or trolling me right now.

If you give me a few hours to a day, I'll see if I can track down the Dragonair/Dragonite town feat and see if it holds up.

I'd rather we give up on most non-legendaries, but those few that actually have something to their name (e.g. Charizard having a non-contradictory dex entry that gives a value) can stay, if this zard's speed feat is not given, let's leave it at unknown.

Else, we have a profile for Charizard, stats from the pokedex as base (since trained pokemon > wild pokemon) and then feats from the other media (e.g. Pokemon anime) that is quantifiable, and name that profile "Ash's Charizard" or something.

Lol at Town level Magikarp though.

Magikarpet bomb
Everyone knows Magikarp is Multi-continental

I'm not completely in agreement. A lot of profiles use power scaling for most of their characters (Dragon Ball and Marvel speeds), and there's too many memorable characters from a memorable franchise to disregard.

I somewhat disagree. On one hand, I was completely unaware of a Hypersonic Magikarp.......but on the otherhand, I doubt anybody mention them in debates anyway. Profiles for non-legendary pokemon are normally measured by the best feats displayed by that particular pokemon as the main page stated(Excluding outliners mainly confrontation against legendaries and so....). I say we only delete the pages that are just left as Unknown or have unjustified stats.

I have no problem with deleting most of the non-legendary Pokemon pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back