• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

Quoting Cresselia's origin section on Cresselia's page on Bulbapedia:
"Its Hisui Pokédex states: "[Cresselia] resembles the heavenly maiden who created the Milky Way", this "heavenly maiden" may be a reference to the Estonian goddess of birds Lindu who is said to have created the Milky Way with her tears."
So that may be what Professor Laventon is thinking of.
Mehn, must be great working in the department of Pokedex entries at GF. Just drop 3C feat on a random divine godddess who's inspiration was gotten from irl Mythology . But it's this same Pokéverse where dead dragons become stars and people can speak to trees and plants so who's to say.

It seems there are godlike beings we haven't seen yet who aren't Pokémon.

Some dex entries references deities of which some Pokémon are incarnations of, goddesses of nature and more.

Seemingly so. Although, sadly, I'm guessing Laventon's comment about resemblance is more about appearance, strangely enough, as opposed to Cresselia getting a 3-C feat.

Hmmph... I'm more interested in who that lady is.
Considering she's seemingly not a Pokemon, is from a land foreign to Hisui (Laventon came from somewhere overseas, IIRC.), & is only mentioned in passing in a myth only someone from a century ago has seemed to have referenced, I'm not sure odds are good she'll be given a distinct identity.
Especially when said maiden is likely just a reference to a myth. & if her lifespan is even remotely like a human's, I wouldn't be surprised if she were dead of old age or such, given she'd passed on into legend.

Especially when said maiden is likely just a reference to a myth. & if her lifespan is even remotely like a human's, I wouldn't be surprised if she were dead of old age or such, given she'd passed on into legend.
Every legendary and their mom have Immortality, and the divine being who created the Milky Way isn't?

Wouldn't hurt for GF to drop some deep lore books 📚. For a game so engrossed in lore it's almost criminal that we don't have lore dumps

Every legendary and their mom have Immortality, and the divine being who created the Milky Way isn't?
Perhaps.
Anyway, the special Pokeball that Roy has kinda confirms the Third Legendary is extraterrestrial.

@Imaginym
Who's Roy?

Also, only staff can have their @s cause others users to be alerted that someone @d them in a post.
Also, I'm following this thread. I see most of the replies.
So you don't have to @ me.

Anyway, the special Pokeball that Roy has kinda confirms the Third Legendary is extraterrestrial.
pretends-to-be-shocked-surprised.gif

Ash's replacement. What's important was this ball he was holding.
IMHO, looks kinda like a fancy ancient artifact.

Don't see the connection. 🤔
From the description:

The user attacks by unleashing a peculiar light that even affects the mind. This also harshly lowers the target's Sp. Def stat.

In the book, the explorers did once speculate that the "guardian" of the crater may be "the light itself". The light of the huge tera crystals they saw there, anyway.
Plus, other stuff in the book indicates The Third Legendary has mind-affecting ability.

So a "peculiar light that even affects the mind" seems related.

& it may be relevant that the only Pokemon that gets it is used by Geeta: Espathra.
& as her lead Pokemon, no less.

But, looking at Bulbapedia's origin section for Espathra on Espathra's page there:
Espathra appears to be based on an ostrich. Based on its appearance and name in every language, it also seems to take inspiration from the Egyptian queen Cleopatra. The connection between ostriches, psychic powers, and Egyptian motifs may ultimately reference Maat, the personification of truth in ancient Egyptian mythology whose symbol was the ostrich feather. The feathers on Espathra's head may be inspired by a nemes or a mantilla.

....I think it's probably just coincidence.
I doubt GameFreak would make a Legendary Indian rainbow turtle/serpent-dragon related to the psychic Egyptian/Cleopatra ostrich.

I mean, it'd be mildly interesting if they did, but beyond having, like, 1 or 2 abilities of similar natures, & maybe a Psychic-typing & region, they seem to have little in common.

Oh, & there is also that its visual effect seems to feature hexagons:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Lumina_Crash_IX.png
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lumina_Crash_(move)

Last edited:

A patch to be released in "late February" has been announced. That page details what it will supposedly do.

I find the "Battles" section in particular amusing:
  • Type matchups against Pokémon that have fainted will no longer appear when selecting a move or target during Double Battles.
  • The stats of a Dondozo with a Tatsugiri in its mouth will increase when Dondozo uses Order Up, even when the move should have been negated (for example, by an opponent using Protect). This is a bug and will be fixed.
  • If a Pokémon Terastallizes after using Destiny Bond and then faints, the effects of Destiny Bond will fail to activate. This is a bug and will be fixed.
Also, new weaknesses for Zoroark:
  • A Zoroark that has Terastallized and is disguised as another Pokémon via its Illusion Ability can be identified as a Zoroark by using the Check Target option. This is a bug and will be fixed.
  • When a Zoroark has Terastallized and is disguised as another Pokémon via its Illusion Ability, the type matchups of moves are displayed based on the type of the Pokémon that Zoroark is disguised as, rather than Zoroark’s Tera Type. This is a bug and will be fixed.

1. Greavard?
When Ryme was in her teens, her dear Puppy\nPokémon passed away, and she poured her grief\ninto a song. When she sang it, her partner came\nback to her as a ghost Pokémon. In that moment,\nthe rapper we know today was born.

2. Surprisingly such things are rarely ever false in Pokémon.
People back then were far more likely to believe\nin mysterious legends, magic, and beings beyond\r\nhuman comprehension.[VAR 0114(0027)]

3. 20? 50? 100?
There are so many regions out there in our world,\nand each can have their own unique languages!

4. We can finally put to rest the crap Masuda said that Pokémon in games world do not mention their names. Plus it seems the Pokémon in the games are about as intelligent as the anime anyway
When Pikachu says...[VAR 0114(0026)]
Piggah!
It’s using its angry voice![

5. Occulture gets its stories from the fantastical writings in the Violet/Scarlet book. So does that mean GF didn't show us everything Heath recorded on his expedition? This implies there's a lot more in the books, considering the frequent releases of Occulture

I heard the academy has mountains of books!\c\nWhen I start studying there, I’m gonna read every\nsingle issue of Occulture!

IMHO, looks kinda like a fancy ancient artifact.
Well
From the description:

The user attacks by unleashing a peculiar light that even affects the mind. This also harshly lowers the target's Sp. Def stat.

In the book, the explorers did once speculate that the "guardian" of the crater may be "the light itself". The light of the huge tera crystals they saw there, anyway.
Plus, other stuff in the book indicates The Third Legendary has mind-affecting ability.
Definitely. Heath getting knocked out and waking up having written equations
& it may be relevant that the only Pokemon that gets it is used by Geeta: Espathra.
& as her lead Pokemon, no less.

But, looking at Bulbapedia's origin section for Espathra on Espathra's page there:
Espathra appears to be based on an ostrich. Based on its appearance and name in every language, it also seems to take inspiration from the Egyptian queen Cleopatra. The connection between ostriches, psychic powers, and Egyptian motifs may ultimately reference Maat, the personification of truth in ancient Egyptian mythology whose symbol was the ostrich feather. The feathers on Espathra's head may be inspired by a nemes or a mantilla.

....I think it's probably just coincidence.
I doubt GameFreak would make a Legendary Indian rainbow turtle/serpent-dragon related to the psychic Egyptian/Cleopatra ostrich.

I mean, it'd be mildly interesting if they did, but beyond having, like, 1 or 2 abilities of similar natures, & maybe a Psychic-typing & region, they seem to have little in common.

Oh, & there is also that its visual effect seems to feature hexagons:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Lumina_Crash_IX.png
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lumina_Crash_(move)
I see..... I could see the connection.

Hey, are we going to work on ScarVio stuff soon? Because I want implement my Clodsire additions to the Quagmire page sooner rather than later.

Hey, are we going to work on ScarVio stuff soon? Because I want implement my Clodsire additions to the Quagmire page sooner rather than later.
You can apply it, just split it into something like this

My expectations for the Presents are:
  • Scarlet and Violet DLC
  • Classic games coming to Switch Online
  • Whatever the hell Pokemon Together is

There's a Mystery Dungeon game releasing this year.

Whether it's a remake or an entirely new game, it's not confirmed

Anyway, why do Dynamax Pokémon have Large Size when that's just an illusion Dynamax passively does by warping space to make them look big rather than they actually bring big

The Dynamax phenomenon is caused by a special power that originates from within Pokémon, warping the space around them and making them appear far larger than they truly are

Would this be canon?

Chinese short film "Journey to the Dream"(同梦之旅) will be launched on February 28!

20230223_030157.jpg

Should I make a blog for the UES?

There's so much infimormation, copy pasting them on crt is more of a pain than making a blog and dumping it there. But I'm not sure it's allowed

Back