• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon ability addition (verse wide)

I mean sure, but where has it been shown in Pokemon that any fire type moves ignore durability with heat?
it melts rocks. It melts mountains. You need physical damage to melt mountains, yet it melts them. On the other hand it doesn't null the durability of pokemon, thus they have resistance

Overcoming status effects and calling it a 'resistance' is like saying someone has resistance to disease because they got better. A limited resistance to status effects is something I'd attribute to a Pokemon that has the Guts ability. Since Guts prevents the status effect from having full effect against the Pokemon.
I mean that is literally resistence to that specific disease as your immune system adapts and will better face the threat next time

I mean that is literally resistence to that specific disease as your immune system adapts and will better face the threat next time
That's after the fact. You don't call it a resistance because you got better/fought off the sickness, you get the resistance afterwards. Like how you only get chicken pox once.

We all have a little reactive adaptation~!

Again, that is a SINGLE, especially powerful Charizard (The one from Team A.C.T.), in a spinoff.
i don't give a F they still melt boulders even based on descriptions from the pokedex. That's still 900C. The g-max charizard has an output of nearly 2000C. Centiskorch's body is 815C. Heatmor is literally stated to be capable of melting Durant, aka 1500C.
Heatran is steel fire and is partially melted because of his own constant heat. Magmortar has a heat output of nearly 2000C and it's pre-evolution's body temperature alone is 1200C. The air around quilava is superheated (over 100C) and Thyplosion's body temperature alone is enough to set anything on fire instantly. I also don't think i need to remind you of Macargo who's 10000C. Pokemon who aren't fire types fight these bad boys every day and yet their inner liquids and body don't get vaporized despite the fact that water contact with macargo is enough to cover a large area in deep fog.

Also apparently Camerupt is as hot as Macargo...just to...add fuel to the fire
Fuel to the fire.. Heh.. Puns

The fact that things in Pokemon don't just burst into flames from being near these fire types just goes to show that Pokemon is playing fast and loose with physics. Magcargo and Camerupt are nearly twice as hot as the sun at 18000 degrees. Ultra Necrozma is as hot as the sun at 10000 degrees, etc etc. You can casually be around these things and not even start sweating. Heat in Pokemon just works entirely differently. And Melting boulders can't really compare to getting through a Pokemon's durability. Pokemon are tougher than rocks. Once again. Def and SpDef.

Frankly, I'm waiting for humans in Pokemon to be given 7-A durability and resistance to heat at this point since humans have taken enraged attacks from Pokemon and survived.

The fact that things in Pokemon don't just burst into flames from being near these fire types just goes to show that Pokemon is playing fast and loose with physics. Magcargo and Camerupt are nearly twice as hot as the sun at 18000 degrees. Ultra Necrozma is as hot as the sun at 10000 degrees, etc etc. You can casually be around these things and not even start sweating. Heat in Pokemon just works entirely differently. And Melting boulders can't really compare to getting through a Pokemon's durability. Pokemon are tougher than rocks. Once again. Def and SpDef.
Fire types can control their body heat

heat. is. not. durability.
It hasn't been durability since every 9-B character got nuked because being near lava stopped being AP. Touching Macargo makes your hand get set on fire and that just means you've resistance too since humans are consistently shown to survive flames, electricity, poison, acid ect.

I showed a scan of Pikachu and a Sceptile not dying when hit by Sheer Cold , so you definitely didn't finish reading the OP. And can you prove that Pokemon being able to survive sheer cold is game mechanics?
The manga one? It clearly states that Sceptile would not have not been able to withstand a direct hit, and that the skill "misses" the opponent if they are one level higher. Your scan proves the opposite of what you're arguing. Also stop asking me to prove the complete obvious.

What does affection have to do with anything? And who said its a normal occurence to snap out of it? Not every human has the ability to even think when their mind is completely altered to the point where they are forced to attack themselves
Your argument is that Pokemon with affection points can shake off status conditions and that is resistance? My argument is that they're affected exactly the same way, only that they're able to get rid of the status effect afterwards.

It's proven to be a normal occurence to snap out of it because every time it's been used the affected party has been able to snap out of it. The latter part is baseless, I've already said what you'd need to do in order to prove it.

The manga one? It clearly states that Sceptile would not have not been able to withstand a direct hit, and that the skill "misses" the opponent if they are one level higher. Your scan proves the opposite of what you're arguing. Also stop asking me to prove the complete obvious.

Your argument is that Pokemon with affection points can shake off status conditions and that is resistance? My argument is that they're affected exactly the same way, only that they're able to get rid of the status effect afterwards.

It's proven to be a normal occurence to snap out of it because every time it's been used the affected party has been able to snap out of it. The latter part is baseless, I've already said what you'd need to do in order to prove it.
It didn't literally miss, just not work. And if you don't wanna prove it, then I can ignore it because hitchens razor

So you agree they can get rid of it and have the strength to fight it off

Every time a Pokemon does it. A normal human can't have the strength to snap out of something like that

It didn't literally miss, just not work. And if you don't wanna prove it, then I can ignore it because hitchens razor
"Sheer Cold is a skill that will miss if the opponent is even one level higher". Your own scan says this word for word. Also, hitchens razor is a fundamentally flawed argument.

So you agree they can get rid of it and have the strength to fight it off
I always did. That's healing/purification, not resistance.

Every time a Pokemon does it. A normal human can't have the strength to snap out of something like that
Prove it

King never made comeback so I'm guessing his issue has been resolved.

Besides that, it seems there's nothing else to be discussed

Wouldn't Pokémon at higher levels handling heat just indicate their heat resistance was increasing alongside their durability when they levelled up? Sort of like how Bleach characters' soul resistance increases alongside their power level. Of course, Pokémon resistance to status, including burn, doesn't increase as they level up, so it's a bit unclear.
I believe Pokémon resistances increase as they level up.

It's been very consistent
That would be a stretch. There is no evidence that levels increase resistance, and it is implied they don't.
But they do.....

That's exactly why levels exist.

Yeah i still wanna push through the AZ
The result of absolute zero is that of death. Pokémon tank it and some do not even faint= Resistances

Ice types are straight up immune

Dynamax straight up sneeze AZ away.

And this is ABSOLUTE ZERO we're talking about

The result of absolute zero is that of death. Pokémon tank it and some do not even faint= Resistances

Ice types are straight up immune

Dynamax straight up sneeze AZ away.

And this is ABSOLUTE ZERO we're talking about
Yeah and i believe that limited resistance to AZ is important here

Shaking off these status conditions is purification/healing. Maybe limited resistance to extreme colds is fine since Pokemon can break out of being frozen naturally and I've seen other verses get resistances for that.
This is what Gyro said.

But.... AZ is not just any extreme cold.. So I don't get his point here

Should be limited resistance to AZ

Resistance

Various characters have been shown to be able to resist absolute zero attacks in fiction. However, this can generally only be recognized as a resistance to such attacks as absolute zero would affect all matter equally.

In fact Sheer Cold is one of the examples they use on the page.

So yes, either those not in favor provide a reasonable argument or we give limited resistances

The fact that things in Pokemon don't just burst into flames from being near these fire types just goes to show that Pokemon is playing fast and loose with physics.
This is a very weak argument. Humans are VERY aware of how dangerous Pokémon are, in relation to themselves. Scientists literally go around carrying out research and they know a Charizard heat can indeed melt things

Magcargo and Camerupt are nearly twice as hot as the sun at 18000 degrees.
Yes. Scientists discovered. It's valid. What's your point?
Ultra Necrozma is as hot as the sun at 10000 degrees, etc etc. You can casually be around these things and not even start sweating.
Okay, does that disprove what the scientists discovered about the specific Pokémon outside game mechanics and conveniences?

Because anything not related to the story, or plot somehow, cannot really be taken as any indication

We don't scale Raticate to Zamazenta just because your Zamazenta was beaten in the wild by a Raticate
Heat in Pokemon just works entirely differently. And Melting boulders can't really compare to getting through a Pokemon's durability. Pokemon are tougher than rocks. Once again. Def and SpDef.
They don't. Pokémon are simply resistant to these things

Take one good look at the fire types Pokédex entries

These things were not written by amateurs, nor were they fanfic.
Frankly, I'm waiting for humans in Pokemon to be given 7-A durability and resistance to heat at this point since humans have taken enraged attacks from Pokemon and survived.
There's lore there. Pokémon and humans were once the same.

In fact many humans can tap into and use powers, just like Pokémon if they wanted to.

If anything, it's the nature of humans in the Pokémon world to resist these things and not an inconsistency. Lol.

Sheer Cold is AZ, it will kill any human outside of the verse no excepttion

As far as i heard there was some discussion regarding the fact that certain tiers will give you some level of heat resistance.

Anyways, Macargo's heat is irrelevant here as fiction allows that kind of stuff, as otherwise Natsu Dragneel would melt everything around him just by using fire once

As far as i heard there was some discussion regarding the fact that certain tiers will give you some level of heat resistance.
If you can link the thread here, that will be great
Anyways, Macargo's heat is irrelevant here as fiction allows that kind of stuff, as otherwise Natsu Dragneel would melt everything around him just by using fire once
You can say that again

Back