• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon ability addition (verse wide)

That could just mean the humans survive it, and people have fainted due to electrocution before. We don't do this for any verse where electricity has never shown to stop someone's heart
People have fainted from minor shocks that would at best kill a small mouse. We are talking about 100,000+ volts worth of lightning here. That's 454x the amount of a socket which can already kill a person with no effort.

By Occam's razor it is more logical to assume thet lightning which causes explosions and never ignores durability and only hurts people physically and doesn't affect internal organs is actually just unable to do so instead of every human in pokemon being capable of surviving enough electricity to near-pulverize someone

Surviving fire, electricity is also resistance, and purifying yourself from confusion should be limited resistance since they can still fight off status effects while under the effects of confusion
For the former, that would apply more to actual attacking moves, no? Recovering from burns or paralysis after being inflicted by them would be healing/purification. For confusion, that can be snapped out of naturally anyway so I don't think that would be a feat.

By Occam's razor it is more logical to assume thet lightning which causes explosions and never ignores durability and only hurts people physically and doesn't affect internal organs is actually just unable to do so instead of every human in pokemon being capable of surviving enough electricity to near-pulverize someone
To be fair, some electric Pokemon do have statements about the effects of their electricity. Luxio for instance has a statement that due to the electricity in its claws, a light scratch can cause fainting.

To be fair, some electric Pokemon do have statements about the effects of their electricity. Luxio for instance has a statement that due to the electricity in its claws, a light scratch can cause fainting.
Anyways, what do you think about limited resistance to heat manipulation and extreme colds and AZ?

For the former, that would apply more to actual attacking moves, no? Recovering from burns or paralysis after being inflicted by them would be healing/purification. For confusion, that can be snapped out of naturally anyway so I don't think that would be a feat.
If they still have the strength to fight off fire while being burnt, thats a limited resistance. Same for electricity. And when a Pokemon snaps out of confusion, they have to fight the confusion, as shown in my scan. So its them doing it, which is a resistance

Actually, i think i can phrase it better

"Limited Resistance to Extreme Temperatures and Absolute Zero"

I mean, any move in pokemon can cause fainting
Yeah but the "light scratch" implies that it's not because of the strength of the move but the electricity.

Anyways, what do you think about limited resistance to heat manipulation and extreme colds and AZ?
Shaking off these status conditions is purification/healing. Maybe limited resistance to extreme colds is fine since Pokemon can break out of being frozen naturally and I've seen other verses get resistances for that.

If they still have the strength to fight off fire while being burnt, thats a limited resistance. Same for electricity. And when a Pokemon snaps out of confusion, they have to fight the confusion, as shown in my scan. So its them doing it, which is a resistance
If they resisted these, then they wouldn't have been affected by it/would be affected less by it in the first place. All that happens is that they shake it off, which is purification/healing. As for confusion, that just means the potency of the confusion isn't that great.

Shaking off these status conditions is purification/healing. Maybe limited resistance to extreme colds is fine since Pokemon can break out of being frozen naturally
I'd disagree with this, pokemon can outright survive magma heat directly and tank mountain-melting flamethrowers. People get resistance to heat manip just by being okay while walking right next to molten lava, why wouldn't the pokemon get it? Not to mention it's limited

If they resisted these, then they wouldn't have been affected by it/would be affected less by it in the first place. All that happens is that they shake it off, which is purification/healing. As for confusion, that just means the potency of the confusion isn't that great.
No, to resist something doesn't mean you are unaffected by it. And why would that mean the potency isn't great? Do you think all resistance to mind control is invalid if people can shake them off?

I'd disagree with this, pokemon can outright survive magma heat directly and tank mountain-melting flamethrowers. People get resistance to heat manip just by being okay while walking right next to molten lava, why wouldn't the pokemon get it? Not to mention it's limited
That is really stupid as you can do that in real life

That is really stupid as you can do that in real life
No, you can't be close to MOLTEN LAVA. You can be close to semi-cooled lava and even then you need special clothes. What is meant in this case is the fully red molten lava that gets so hot it flows like water at extreme speeds out of a volcano or just stays in it. The temperature a few meters around it is over 700°C

The levels are basically statistics increases tho
Doesn't matter, levels are their own thing sprcific to pokemon. Proof? Humans have no levels even though some humans are capable of overpowering some pokemon. Despite that they have no levels and dont get exp or anything while pokemon do.
So overall it's just that this ability specifically works with levels depending on what pokemon it fights, the same can't be said for humans since they can be frozen despite having no levels

Are you talking about regular Pokemon moves? I brought it up before but it was turned down, because Pokemon treats it as something that can be tanked via durability or something like that.

No, to resist something doesn't mean you are unaffected by it. And why would that mean the potency isn't great? Do you think all resistance to mind control is invalid if people can shake them off?
I also said experience a lessened effect from it, which isn't true for Pokemon with high affection. You seemed to miss that. For the second point, if there is someone with mind control but everyone they use it on is able to shake it off after a while, then yeah it's an issue with the potency rather than a resistance.

Are you talking about regular Pokemon moves? I brought it up before but it was turned down, because Pokemon treats it as something that can be tanked via durability or something like that.
They still deserve resistance. Just because someone disagreed before doesn't mean it's the same now.
If a pokemon has no resistance then they'll be quickly killed by being set on fire in a versus thread or sth along those lines, meanwhile all pokemon can tank direct heat. Makes no sense does it?

I also said experience a lessened effect from it, which isn't true for Pokemon with high affection.
Proof?

You seemed to miss that. For the second point, if there is someone with mind control but everyone they use it on is able to shake it off after a while, then yeah it's an issue with the potency rather than a resistance.

Why is it not just everyone having resistance?

Burn does 1/16 damage and halves the affected Pokemon's attack. This is true for both Pokemon with and without affection points.

Why is it not just everyone having resistance?
You'd need to prove that confusion can last permanently against a target. Otherwise that's just how it's shown to have worked.

They still deserve resistance. Just because someone disagreed before doesn't mean it's the same now.
If a pokemon has no resistance then they'll be quickly killed by being set on fire in a versus thread or sth along those lines, meanwhile all pokemon can tank direct heat. Makes no sense does it?
Versus threads are not the reason why our profiles are made, and if Pokemon resist heat via durability then no they won't die if set on fire.

Burn does 1/16 damage and halves the affected Pokemon's attack. This is true for both Pokemon with and without affection points.

You'd need to prove that confusion can last permanently against a target. Otherwise that's just how it's shown to have worked.

Versus threads are not the reason why our profiles are made, and if Pokemon resist heat via durability then no they won't die if set on fire.
The 1/16 is a game mechanic

You know that the confusion status effect doesn't have a set number of turns before the enemy snaps out, right? That means its the Pokemon breaking out of it, which is limited resistance

You can't just use durability to survive heat. There are materials that are very hard or strong that are more vulnerable to heat

The 1/16 is a game mechanic
And what is your point here?

You know that the confusion status effect doesn't have a set number of turns before the enemy snaps out, right? That means its the Pokemon breaking out of it, which is limited resistance
"Turns are game mechanics", and that's irrelevant. Prove that the confusion effect can affect a character permanently or this argument will go nowhere.

then that means they're resistant to heat, their skin doesn't melt when they're burned by something that melts stone in less than a second
They tank it as if it were a standard attack

They tank it as if it were a standard attack
and? the attacks are shown multiple times to melt material as hard as rock and steel, yet it doesn't melt the pokemon despite them being made of skin, flesh and bone. This means that they have limited resistance to it.

And nothing, I have nothing else to tell you. I know what fire in Pokemon is capable of, and that's fine, but that doesn't change my point.
And that doesn't change mine. If i don't melt to fire and rocks do melt to fire then i can resist fire. It's basic logic.

That's cool. Going back to the thread, aside from the status effect stuff, is there anything else to discuss?

That's cool. Going back to the thread, aside from the status effect stuff, is there anything else to discuss?
not really, we just add the abilities and give mons a "Limited resistance to extreme temperatures and absolute zero" and move on

And what is your point here?

"Turns are game mechanics", and that's irrelevant. Prove that the confusion effect can affect a character permanently or this argument will go nowhere.
The 1/16th stuff is not relevant to this discussion if its a game mechanic

The fact that people have to fight it off to snap out of it proves it at least lasts pretty long, it doesn't need to be permanent

not really, we just add the abilities and give mons a "Limited resistance to extreme temperatures and absolute zero" and move on
Again I'm only fine with resistance to cold due to the freeze effect. Where's the limited resistance to absolute zero come from anyways? All Pokemon bar ice types get one shot by AZ.

The 1/16th stuff is not relevant to this discussion if its a game mechanic
It's proof that Pokemon are affected in the same way by burns despite their affection points

The fact that people have to fight it off to snap out of it proves it at least lasts pretty long, it doesn't need to be permanent
Again, the fact that they snap out of it proves that it's a potency issue rather than a resistance.

All Pokemon bar ice types get one shot by AZ.
they are knocked out by AZ and get right back up after being frozen. Ffs there's an instance in mystery dungeon where a Scizor got frozen for like half a century and came out fine and dandy. It's limited resistance but it is still resistance. If the average man got hit by absolute zero he'd die in like an instant since most of his body would cease function. They need to have at least limited resistance if they want to survive it.

they are knocked out by AZ and get right back up after being frozen. Ffs there's an instance in mystery dungeon where a Scizor got frozen for like half a century and came out fine and dandy. It's limited resistance but it is still resistance. If the average man got hit by absolute zero he'd die in like an instant since most of his body would cease function. They need to have at least limited resistance if they want to survive it.
A character affected by AZ wouldn't be frozen, their molecules would straight up break down. Also, Froslass can't even learn Sheer Cold, and she's the one that froze the explorer Scizor. Pokemon being knocked out instead of dying from AZ is pretty clearly game mechanics. I'm fine with them resisting cold temperatures though.

and i am trying to prove why only being fine with that is wrong and you are refusing to listen to logic.
Reread my points above, and stop repeating the same points over and over. I really don't want to drag this pointless repetition any longer.

Pokemon being knocked out instead of dying from AZ is pretty clearly game mechanics.
bullcrap, it happened in the anime literally like 5 episodes ago and also in the manga on multiple occasions. Pokemon are still alive and well.
Reread my points above, and stop repeating the same points over and over. I really don't want to drag this pointless repetition any longer.
i've read your points, but considering they're useless points that aren't based on solid evidence, i disagree with those points.

It's proof that Pokemon are affected in the same way by burns despite their affection points
They're not affected the same way, the 1/16 is a game mechanic

Again, the fact that they snap out of it proves that it's a potency issue rather than a resistance.

So is there no such thing as resistance to mind manipulation now? Everytime someone resists mind control its just a potency issue?

bullcrap, it happened in the anime literally like 5 episodes ago and also in the manga on multiple occasions. Pokemon are still alive and well.
They weren't when the sheer cold hit though. Obviously they're not going to show the Pokemon die to the attack, that doesn't mean it counts for anything.

i've read your points, but considering they're useless points that aren't based on solid evidence, i disagree with those points.
Sounds like a you problem. Disagree all you want but this has been rejected before for the exact same reasons.

They're not affected the same way, the 1/16 is a game mechanic
They are affected the same way. Don't get caught up on the 1/16, it's the fact that there's no difference between how an affection and non affection points Pokemon is affected by burns that is important. No difference = no resistance.

So is there no such thing as resistance to mind manipulation now? Everytime someone resists mind control its just a potency issue?
Depends how the mind control is shown to work. If it's a normal occurrence to snap out of it and it doesn't last long on anyone that it's been used on then yeah it's a potency issue. Also you massively overstated my point.

They weren't when the sheer cold hit though. Obviously they're not going to show the Pokemon die to the attack, that doesn't mean it counts for anything.
you're just reaching at this point. What is this, pokemon getting revived outta nowhere? Gary would have at least reacted in some way if his pokemon that he has raised with care and love since it was an eevee suddenly died, yet he didn't and im pretty sure we see it alive after. You are basically making so many assumptions that they begin contradicting the truth. Umbreon survived AZ temperatures, thus it means that it has resistance to AZ. We see more mons that survive the same attack in older anime episodes and manga.
Obviously not gonna show pokemon die to the attack? Bruh they never do die to the attack. Assuming that they're dead based on no evidence when there's evidence of the same mon surviving the attack in question is just nuts.
Sounds like a you problem. Disagree all you want but this has been rejected before for the exact same reasons.
prove it then. Prove why it should be rejected. Your point is that they resist it based on durability. I've proven that the attacks can affect things in the way normal fire can, melting and heating. This means that they have durability against heat based attacks which is literally the definition of resistance to heat manipulation.

Back