• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon ability addition (verse wide)

you're just reaching at this point...
What are you talking about? That wasn't my point whatsoever. I said that they wouldn't show a Pokemon dying to an attack, so it gets knocked out instead. Same way Necrozma can nuke a rattata or something and it only faints. If something knocks out a Pokemon it shouldnt be used for scaling or resistances.

prove it then. Prove why it should be rejected. Your point is that they resist it based on durability. I've proven that the attacks can affect things in the way normal fire can, melting and heating. This means that they have durability against heat based attacks which is literally the definition of resistance to heat manipulation.
What's there to prove? Fire attacks are treated like any other elemental attack, and the amount that a Pokemon withstands it depends on their durability.

What are you talking about? That wasn't my point whatsoever. I said that they wouldn't show a Pokemon dying to an attack, so it gets knocked out instead. Same way Necrozma can nuke a rattata or something and it only faints. If something knocks out a Pokemon it shouldnt be used for scaling or resistances.
which is outright wrong, because if they can live through it and not die then it means they get limited resistance. Necrozma nuking a rattata can only happen in game where it can be either a rattata or a lvl 100 Zoroark, meanwhile i am talking about an actual instance where a pokemon got frozen and lived to tell the tale. Pokemon dying to AZ doesn't exist in this verse as it has never shown to be that way. If it doesn't exist then it can't be used to disprove them having a limited resistance.
What's there to prove? Fire attacks are treated like any other elemental attack, and the amount that a Pokemon withstands it depends on their durability.
...i deadass don't understand how you're failing to understand something as basic as this.

here's charizard using short bursts of fire to make all the rocks reach red point (near melting. around 900C). This is supported by other instances including game statements about charizard melting anything and melting mountains.
Other pokemon constantly tank those hits.
skin melts at 162C. This fire is<<<900C. To survive it you need resistance. Pokemon can resist those flames and thus are resistant.
Fire being similar to other elemental attack doesn't matter at all and heat negates durability, heat has been separated from AP for ages now, you need more than some durability to survive concentrated heat.
Pokemon have heat resistance.

Another issue with accepting the whole resistance thing, is that Pokémon that SPECIFICALLY have weaknesses to the elements in question, would suddenly have a resistance. If it got accepted, Ice and Grass types would resist Fire, Water and Flying types would resist Electric, ect.

Last edited:
Just because u take more damage relative to someone else, doesn’t mean u don’t have the ability to nullify some of the damage

Last edited:
Just because u take more damage relative to someone else, doesn’t mean u have the ability to nullify some of the damage
If there is an average amount of damage to take, and you take more than that, you got a weakness. If you take less, you got a resistance. If you shake off status conditions, you got healing or purification.

Alrighty let’s consider this. Say I can tank 20000 degrees of heat without dying. But the average member of my species can take 40000. My ability to take heat is vastly less, but I still have some ability to do so

Alrighty let’s consider this. Say I can tank 20000 degrees of heat without dying. But the average member of my species can take 40000. My ability to take heat is vastly less, but I still have some ability to do so
In the real world, and in 'verses where elemental attacks aren't affected by durability, yes.

In 'verses where elemental attacks are affected by durability, you have a weakness, and the average has the durability to tank 40,000 degrees.

Pokémon is the latter. All elements are shown to be affected by durability.

In the real world, and in 'verses where elemental attacks aren't affected by durability, yes.

In 'verses where elemental attacks are affected by durability, you have a weakness, and the average has the durability to tank 40,000 degrees.

Right, show me the rule or whatever that prevents pokemon from gaining resistance by equating the damage they can take to their durability

They weren't when the sheer cold hit though. Obviously they're not going to show the Pokemon die to the attack, that doesn't mean it counts for anything.
I showed a scan of Pikachu and a Sceptile not dying when hit by Sheer Cold , so you definitely didn't finish reading the OP. And can you prove that Pokemon being able to survive sheer cold is game mechanics?

They are affected the same way. Don't get caught up on the 1/16, it's the fact that there's no difference between how an affection and non affection points Pokemon is affected by burns that is important. No difference = no resistance.

Depends how the mind control is shown to work. If it's a normal occurrence to snap out of it and it doesn't last long on anyone that it's been used on then yeah it's a potency issue. Also you massively overstated my point.
What does affection have to do with anything? And who said its a normal occurence to snap out of it? Not every human has the ability to even think when their mind is completely altered to the point where they are forced to attack themselves

Send scans that a pokemon's normal durability affects how much damage they take from heat, I'll wait

Most of this seems to make sense. There is an issue with all Pokémon having soul manipulation, although we know Ghost Pokémon have it given they yanked Ash's soul out of his body. I would have thought non-physical interaction and resistance to status effects was so obvious it would have been on the profiles years ago. The mere fact that Pokémon can still move most of the time while paralysed tells us that much, as does their ability to defrost and not go into shock or have any other lasting adverse effects. They also recover from poison (even Toxic) on their own in later generation games. This is pretty blatant.

One small issue is whether Super Fang and OHKO moves like Guillotine and Horn Drill are really durability neg or if it's just a really strong piercing attack. Things like that can be a bit uncertain.

Send scans that a pokemon's normal durability affects how much damage they take from heat, I'll wait
Sure. Do you want from the Manga, Anime, core games, or spinoff games? 'cause what you requested is the entire franchise!
Levels are known to be canon, as they exist in both the core games, manga, anime, and most spinoffs (it could have been argued to be game mechanics, if levels didn't also exist in the manga and anime, you know... Non-games). Levels are also known to increase durability. It is unknown (and therefore unusable as evidence) that levels increase resistance. A Pokemon at a higher level takes less damage from an attack than a Pokemon at a lower level. Again, this is consistent across the franchise. And since resistance isn't known to be a relevant factor, it can't be assumed to be a factor. Thus, we can conclude that durability is what caused the difference.

Sure. Do you want from the Manga, Anime, core games, or spinoff games? 'cause what you requested is the entire franchise!
Levels are known to be canon, as they exist in both the core games, manga, anime, and most spinoffs (it could have been argued to be game mechanics, if levels didn't also exist in the manga and anime, you know... Non-games). Levels are also known to increase durability. It is unknown (and therefore unusable as evidence) that levels increase resistance. A Pokemon at a higher level takes less damage from an attack than a Pokemon at a lower level. Again, this is consistent across the franchise. And since resistance isn't known to be a relevant factor, it can't be assumed to be a factor. Thus, we can conclude that durability is what caused the difference.
heat bypasses durability. Your argument is invalid.

Wouldn't Pokémon at higher levels handling heat just indicate their heat resistance was increasing alongside their durability when they levelled up? Sort of like how Bleach characters' soul resistance increases alongside their power level. Of course, Pokémon resistance to status, including burn, doesn't increase as they level up, so it's a bit unclear.

it is, fire always melts rocks and even mountains, YOUR argument is invalid
It isn't like every single Pokemon is more durable than rocks or anything like that.

also it is accepted that heat =/= ap on the wiki
Same with electricity. However, exceptions are made, when it is explicitly shown that heat = ap, like in Pokemon.

Wouldn't Pokémon at higher levels handling heat just indicate their heat resistance was increasing alongside their durability when they levelled up? Sort of like how Bleach characters' soul resistance increases alongside their power level. Of course, Pokémon resistance to status, including burn, doesn't increase as they level up, so it's a bit unclear.
That would be a stretch. There is no evidence that levels increase resistance, and it is implied they don't.

They take less damage because they take less damage from the force of the attack. Flamethrower has both force and heat. There is evidence heat in Pokemon acts like heat, it evaporates or melts stuff. There is no evidence that simply having more blunt force durability can help against heat, electricity or cold

That would be a stretch. There is no evidence that levels increase resistance, and it is implied they don't.
Well, levels don't mean anything for status, including, of all things, burn, so there's definitely something there to say resistance to heat isn't increased, since the Pokémon literally isn't any harder to (inflict a) burn (upon).

However, unless the fire attack revolves around a physical attack, simple fire and heat would be a special attack which is directly opposed by the special defence stat, and the special defence stat does increase with levelling up. Of course, it's hard to in good conscience say that a Pokémon like Parasect is resistant to heat. Not when its 4X weakness to fire is one of many things that ruined its viability.

There is no evidence that simply having more blunt force durability can help against heat, electricity or cold
Except, again, the ENTIRE FRANCHISE. Every single Pokemon battle involving heat, electricity, or cold. Your whole point that fire can melt a rock, but not a Pokemon, is moot, since Pokemon have MUCH HIGHER durability than a rock. A Hitmonchan should be very capable of shattering the same rock with a single punch. A punch that would barely make a Blastoise budge. Additionally, if heat in Pokemon acted the way it did in the real world, Fire Blast would be an impossible move, as it takes, and holds, a shape impossible for heat to hold. Heat in Pokemon also only very rarely rises upwards, something natural for real heat to do, and there have even been cases of fire in Pokemon being physically held back, which directly contradicts how fire, and by extension heat, works in the real world. Even using the excuse of there being force behind Fire moves, every part of the Fire Blast that Charizard isn't directly touching would have continued forward. You need to understand that having a few things in common =/= working exactly as, especially when consistently, and repeatedly, shown not to work exactly as.

Well, levels don't mean anything for status, including, of all things, burn, so there's definitely something there to say resistance to heat isn't increased, since the Pokémon literally isn't any harder to (inflict a) burn (upon).

However, unless the fire attack revolves around a physical attack, simple fire and heat would be a special attack which is directly opposed by the special defence stat, and the special defence stat does increase with levelling up. Of course, it's hard to in good conscience say that a Pokémon like Parasect is resistant to heat. Not when its 4X weakness to fire is one of many things that ruined its viability.
Defense and Special Defense are both durability. HP is survivability. And their argument would grant Parasect resistance to heat, Swanna resistance to electricity, ect.

The mere fact that Pokémon can still move most of the time while paralysed tells us that much
This, so far, is the only argument I've seen in this thread that, by any stretch of the imagination, would grant any sort of resistance.

Last edited:
Except, again, the ENTIRE FRANCHISE. Every single Pokemon battle involving heat, electricity, or cold. Your whole point that fire can melt a rock, but not a Pokemon, is moot, since Pokemon have MUCH HIGHER durability than a rock. A Hitmonchan should be very capable of shattering the same rock with a single punch. A punch that would barely make a Blastoise budge. Additionally, if heat in Pokemon acted the way it did in the real world, Fire Blast would be an impossible move, as it takes, and holds, a shape impossible for heat to hold. Heat in Pokemon also only very rarely rises upwards, something natural for real heat to do, and there have even been cases of fire in Pokemon being physically held back, which directly contradicts how fire, and by extension heat, works in the real world. Even using the excuse of there being force behind Fire moves, every part of the Fire Blast that Charizard isn't directly touching would have continued forward. You need to understand that having a few things in common =/= working exactly as, especially when consistently, and repeatedly, shown not to work exactly as.
Are you actually saying that heat in Pokemon doesn't negate durability now? Charizard has NPI like any Pokemon, so him interacting with fire blast is irrelavant, you need proof that heat doesn't rise up, and how does defying 1 thing about fire mean heat doesn't negate durability anymore? There are Pokemon that take no damage from the force of a fire attack, but get burnt or charred fully

Are you actually saying that heat in Pokemon doesn't negate durability now?
Yes. Because it consistently doesn't.

you need proof that heat doesn't rise up,
Fire Blast keeping the shape of the Japanese symbol for "Fire", for more than an instant. Moves like Flamethrower moving in a straight line rather than curving upwards. Need I keep going?

how does defying 1 thing about fire mean heat doesn't negate durability anymore?
It doesn't. Durability affecting the vast majority of Fire type moves means that heat doesn't negate durability. My point there was that the only things heat and fire in Pokemon have in common with the real world is that they can ignite and melt stuff, and they are hot.

There are Pokemon that take no damage from the force of a fire attack, but get burnt or charred fully
Yeah, it's almost like the force of the move is only a fraction of the move's effectiveness, and the fire is much more important, isn't it?

Fire Blast keeping the shape of the Japanese symbol for "Fire", for more than an instant. Moves like Flamethrower moving in a straight line rather than curving upwards. Need I keep going?
almost all fire in fiction does this.
It doesn't. Durability affecting the vast majority of Fire type moves means that heat doesn't negate durability.
Durability will effect fire manip no matter what. a flamethrower will always do less damage to someone who is 6-C compared to someone who is High 7-A
Dura always effects fire manip

Correct. Pretty much no fiction has perfectly accurate fire.
You were using it as an argument against it being normal fire, from what I read
That's literally what I've been saying this whole time.
fire still negates dura to an extent regardless of the fact that higher dura means you take less damage from it.
so it would still be limited dura neg as all other fire is treated as.

You were using it as an argument against it being normal fire, from what I read
I used it as an argument against being like real world fire.

fire still negates dura to an extent regardless of the fact that higher dura means you take less damage from it.
so it would still be limited dura neg as all other fire is treated as.
Not enough to warrant a resistance, especially not for types that are weak to Fire, like Ice, Grass, Bug, and Steel.

It is true that you can land a fire attack that takes away only 1 HP and still have it inflict a burn. That's why status is a key way to beat a seemingly invincible Pokémon. Toxic for example is frequently used to completely bypass the defenses of a Pokémon that had boosted its defensive stats to absurd levels with a move like barrier, curse, amnesia or calm mind. In all honesty, this kind of goes against the idea of resistance scaling with level, at least in regards to status.

Durability affecting the vast majority of Fire type moves means that heat doesn't negate durability. My point there was that the only things heat and fire in Pokemon have in common with the real world is that they can ignite and melt stuff, and they are hot.
Can you post some scans of fire not negating durability? Naming specific events would also help. You're right that defensive stats are essentially durability, but with special defense resistance is still a possible factor. Keep in mind it opposes attacks that would normally ignore durability, for example psychic attacks like confusion. However, with secondary effects like burn and freeze ignoring that special defense stat while not ignoring typing and being preventable with abilities and moves like safeguard, it seems as if Pokémon resist some but not all effects of other Pokémon attacks. So I guess we have to find evidence for each one resisted and work out which are resisted and which are not.

It is true that you can land a fire attack that takes away only 1 HP and still have it inflict a burn. That's why status is a key way to beat a seemingly invincible Pokémon. Toxic for example is frequently used to completely bypass the defenses of a Pokémon that had boosted its defensive stats to absurd levels with a move like barrier, curse, amnesia or calm mind. In all honesty, this kind of goes against the idea of resistance scaling with level, at least in regards to status.

Can you post some scans of fire not negating durability? Naming specific events would also help. You're right that defensive stats are essentially durability, but with special defense resistance is still a possible factor. Keep in mind it opposes attacks that would normally ignore durability, for example psychic attacks like confusion. However, with secondary effects like burn and freeze ignoring that special defense stat while not ignoring typing and being preventable with abilities and moves like safeguard, it seems as if Pokémon resist some but not all effects of other Pokémon attacks. So I guess we have to find evidence for each one resisted and work out which are resisted and which are not.
A lot of what you said is game mechanics mixed with genuine arguments. I'll see what I can dig up of Pokemon with a weakness to Fire type moves tanking said moves, as that would be the best evidence that the tanking came from durability rather than resistance. In the meantime, I don't really know what Special Defense is, since it isn't a resistance, as it doesn't affect type effectiveness. But it's also not a conventional durability, since it does affect stuff like mindhax. This is only a guess, and I have no way to prove it, but I assume it to be a separate durability specifically for elemental attacks.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I guess mental resistance somewhat scales with special defense, but that doesn't automatically mean resistance to heat does. And you're right, game mechanics are an issue here. Status works independently of stats, same as all magic in Elder Scrolls games ignores armour even though in real life the armour would help a good deal against some of those spells. It's a gameplay mechanic.

This is kind of messy. I'm starting to think that with some evidence saying heat resistance scales with special defense and some evidence saying it doesn't, all while level is sort of incidental, it might become a burdon of proof issue, and if so, the resistance should probably be left out for now, until more information can be brought together. I don't know.

The scan linked to prove resistance to status only shows a Rhyhorn fighting off drowsiness, which isn't necessarily a resistance. Humans fight off drowsiness all the time, just ask any truck driver, anyone who's ever worked a graveyard shift, or any soldier who ever had guard duty at night. Or anyone who ever drove while tired. Are there scans of Pokémon doing what that Rhyhorn did, except fighting off paralysis or burn instead of drowsiness?

Overcoming status effects and calling it a 'resistance' is like saying someone has resistance to disease because they got better. A limited resistance to status effects is something I'd attribute to a Pokemon that has the Guts ability. Since Guts prevents the status effect from having full effect against the Pokemon.

A burn will still do damage over time, but your attack won't get cut in half. Stuff like that.

Overcoming status effects and calling it a 'resistance' is like saying someone has resistance to disease because they got better. A limited resistance to status effects is something I'd attribute to a Pokemon that has the Guts ability. Since Guts prevents the status effect from having full effect against the Pokemon.

A burn will still do damage over time, but your attack won't get cut in half. Stuff like that.
im trying to get limited resistance to heat not based on burn but based on the fact that pokemon tank something that melts mountains

im trying to get limited resistance to heat not based on burn but based on the fact that pokemon tank something that melts mountains
That sounds a lot more like Durability than anything. This wiki itself treats Heat Manipulation(Temperature Manipulation) entirely separately from Fire Manipulation.(Dunno how it works, really)

Best example would be Chimchar vs Abomasnow. After overpowering a couple Flamethrowers with Blizzard, it takes multiple Flamethrowers before getting angry and exhausting itself before finally getting knocked out by a Flamewheel, which it withstood for a few seconds first and even caught between its hands

Last edited:
That sounds a lot more like Durability than anything. This wiki itself treats Heat Manipulation(Temperature Manipulation) entirely separately from Fire Manipulation.(Dunno how it works, really)

Best example would be Chimchar vs Abomasnow. After overpowering a couple Flamethrowers with Blizzard, it takes multiple Flamethrowers before getting angry and exhausting itself before finally getting knocked out by a Flamewheel, which it withstood for a few seconds first and even caught between its hands

except for the fact that fire moves include magma plume and heatwave all of which are tanked by pokemon

except for the fact that fire moves include magma plume and heatwave all of which are tanked by pokemon
Flamethrower is the move described to melt mountains though. Besides, that is only from ONE exceptionally strong Charizard, in a spinoff.

durability against something that can melt something while ignoring durability is resistance to heat manipulation
I mean sure, but where has it been shown in Pokemon that any fire type moves ignore durability with heat? Physics are played with fast and loose in Pokemon. Heck, Heat manipulation like you says it's supposed to work doesn't even work like that on this Wiki.

Temperature Manipulation (also known as Heat Manipulation) is the ability to manipulate the thermal energy of oneself or the environment. While other abilities, such as Fire Manipulation and Ice Manipulation, may affect the temperature of one's surroundings, this ability refers to having direct control of temperature and heat for any number of purposes.

It's not even related to Fire Manipulation.. somehow

Back