• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon ability addition (verse wide)

The premise of this thread is to add a lot of abilities to practically every pokemon. And some moves and abilities

Abilities:

Non-Physical Interaction, Soul manipulation (For ones that have non normal type attacks): Literally any non normal type move can be used on Pokemon which are intangible. Its true that some of them are portrayed as physical in the anime, but there are some like yamask and spiritomb which are just spirits that any pokemon can harm. Struggle can harm ghost types, so Pokemon who only have normal type moves would have limited NPI. This applies to things like status effects, which is why its soul manipulation

Empowerment and Reactive Power Level: Pokemon are powered by the bonds between them and their trainer, which is how the true power of a Pokemon is unleashed through mega evolution, Z moves and Dynamax. A Pokemon's strength is magnified manifold if they fight to protect someone they trust and care for

Resistances:

Mind Manipulation: Professor Bellis states that the stronger the bond between a trainer and Pokemon is, the better they can resist the effects of Mewtwo's mind control. She says its a theory, but this is proven to be true as Ash's Pikachu could resist Colress' mind control machine through his bond with Ash. Pokemon can fight off the confusion status effect (see next scan)
(Limited) Sleep, Paralysis, Electricity, Ice, Fire: Pokemon can brush off status effects through sheer determination. In Legends: Arceus, its revealed that a Pokemon can fight off status effects. Pokemon can survive absolute zero cold, even if it KOs them, regular people would instantly die if they reach temperatures close to absolute zero

Super Fang: Life Manipulation, Durability Negation (Cuts the enemy's stamina in half)

All OHKO moves: Durability Negation and (Guillotine is stated to ensure defeat in a single move and Cilan states that it always KOs the enemy in one hit. In XYZ, its stated that Guillotine knocks the enemy out in one hit. Clay states that Horn Drill finishes off an enemy in one hit. Horace states that Sheer Cold is a one hit kill move after Articuno KOs Gary’s Umbreon. However, Sheer Cold will not work if the enemy is a higher level than the user. And I know it says it will miss, but he just means it won’t work as the Sheer Cold did hit Sceptile and didn't KO it. This is supported by the fact that Glastrier has below absolute zero ice that doesn’t have an OHKO effect, proving Sheer Cold is both OHKO and Absolute Zero) A level in Pokemon is canon, its just that being a higher level won’t mean you’re stronger, so this only applies to other Pokemon, when using OHKO moves against characters in another verse, this won’t apply. Also, it will only be durability negation within reason, a Pokemon obviously can’t nullify the durability of someone 20 times more durable than the most durable Pokemon they can one shot

Burning Jealousy: Empathic Manipulation (Burns the enemy with energy from jealousy)

Dragon Pulse: Vibration Manipulation (It shoots out a shockwave)

Twinkle Tackle: Spatial Manipulation (Creates a space with Z-Power)

Trick Room: limited Law or Physics Manipulation (It creates a field where enemies that are going slower are going faster instead, while enemies that are going faster are now slower). I know Trick Room also twists time, but manipulating time alone can’t make those effects. And this doesn’t work through lowering an enemy’s speed, because Ash’s Talonflame used Flame Charge to increase its speed and was still slower than Valerie’s Pokemon while under Trick Room. This is law or physics manipulation because its creating a new property of speed in an area

Destiny Bond: Fate Manipulation (Causes the enemy to suffer the same fate as the user if the enemy KOs the user). This is not damage transferal because this is how it looks like in the anime and if it was damage transferal, Glalie would have probably get hurt, but instead it just fainted like Misdreavus. Also, its name is “destiny bond” implying it bonds destiny with the target, and I know its just a name but its not like names cannot be used to convey information. Almost every attack’s name in Pokemon is literal, like “Skill Swap” is literally swapping skills, “Bullet Seed” is shooting out seeds like a bullet. The chances of the name “destiny bond” not being literal are very low given the number of attack names that aren’t literal (there aren’t that many, I can’t think of any right now). If you disagree, I propose at least a "likely fate manipulation"

Last edited:
I'm interested in this, but it's a lot to tackle at once, so I might respond later. Likely after more users respond, possibly because of such responses; I'm unsure.

Pokemon should also get Minor Space-Time Manip (agreed on in the space-time manip thread), NPI (Spatial and Elemental as they can interact directly with space-time as agreed on the space-time Manip thread. They can also hit Pokemon made of elements like Vaporeon)
anyways I am looking over the CRT right now

Non-Physical Interaction, Soul manipulation (For ones that have non normal type attacks)
Agreed on NPI, though hitting an exposed soul is not the same as soul manipulation.

B2W2 offers a different explanation. There, the Poke Balls have their own mind-altering effects that make a Pokemon more loyal to their trainer. Of course, Ash's Pikachu doesn't go inside a Poke Ball but Pikachu is a special case anyway. Don't think this would be applicable to wild Pokemon profiles anyway.

(Limited) Sleep, Paralysis, Electricity, Ice, Fire: Pokemon can brush off status effects through sheer determination. In Legends: Arceus, its revealed that a Pokemon can fight off status effects.
They're affected by it but are able to shake it off. Seems more like a limited Healing to me.

Super Fang: Life Manipulation, Durability Negation (Cuts the enemy's stamina in half)
Life manip seems like a stretch, but durability negation works.

I always figured that OHKO moves were typically far stronger moves than usual, hence why they dont work on higher levelled Pokemon and why being a higher level makes it more likely for the attack to work. There are times in the anime where these OHKO moves have been survived, like Guillotine in Morrison vs Gavin. Though it seems you somewhat agree based on the last sentence?

Burning Jealousy: Empathic Manipulation (Burns the enemy with energy from jealousy)

4-A Twinkle Tackle Not sure if Dragon Pulse counts as vibration manipulation. Despite the statement, it's almost always portrayed as an energy beam nowadays. Maybe you could argue that earlier gens portray it kinda like shockwaves? Rest seems fine, though I'm not sure who they'd apply to given that one's a rare tutor move and the other is a Z move.

Trick Room: limited Law or Physics Manipulation (It creates a field where enemies that are going slower are going faster instead, while enemies that are going faster are now slower). I know Trick Room also twists time, but manipulating time alone can’t make those effects. And this doesn’t work through lowering an enemy’s speed, because Ash’s Talonflame used Flame Charge to increase its speed and was still slower than Valerie’s Pokemon while under Trick Room. This is law or physics manipulation because its creating a new property of speed in an area
It could twist time for each Pokemon differently, such that a slower Pokemon appears faster and vice versa. Obviously that's a guess, but I don't see how it being space-time manipulation is impossible. I could maybe see it being law manipulation, along with the other room moves, though it's obviously limited in application. Also worth mentioning that PMD Kecleon is immune to the effects of Trick Room.

Destiny Bond: Fate Manipulation (Causes the enemy to suffer the same fate as the user if the enemy KOs the user). This is not damage transferal.
Sure.

All OHKO moves: Durability Negation and Death manipulation (Guillotine is stated to ensure defeat in a single move and Cilan states that it always KOs the enemy in one hit. In XYZ, its stated that Guillotine knocks the enemy out in one hit. Clay states that Horn Drill finishes off an enemy in one hit. Horace states that Sheer Cold is a one hit kill move after Articuno KOs Gary’s Umbreon. However, Sheer Cold will not work if the enemy is a higher level than the user. And I know it says it will miss, but he just means it won’t work as the Sheer Cold did hit Sceptile and didn't KO it. This is supported by the fact that Glastrier has below absolute zero ice that doesn’t have an OHKO effect, proving Sheer Cold is both OHKO and Absolute Zero) A level in Pokemon is canon, its just that being a higher level won’t mean you’re stronger, so this only applies to other Pokemon, when using OHKO moves against characters in another verse, this won’t apply. Also, it will only be durability negation within reason, a Pokemon obviously can’t nullify the durability of someone 20 times more durable than the most durable Pokemon they can one shot
While this is all true, as any poke ever actually, died from this? If not, I disagree with death manip.

I'd also be against Death Manip, they aren't even killing in a fashion like that with them, by that logic we'd give any offensive move death manip, which is a no.

I'd also be against Death Manip, they aren't even killing in a fashion like that with them, by that logic we'd give any offensive move death manip, which is a no.
I mean, Absolute Zero doesn't kill anyone in Pokémon because kids, but it sure as hell will kill anyone outside of it

Seriously if Pokémon followed through on their pokedex entries humans would be extinct by now

Anyways reading it now
The premise of this thread is to add a lot of abilities to practically every pokemon. And some moves and abilities

Abilities:

Non-Physical Interaction, Soul manipulation (For ones that have non normal type attacks): Literally any non normal type move can be used on Pokemon which are intangible. Its true that some of them are portrayed as physical in the anime, but there are some like yamask and spiritomb which are just spirits that any pokemon can harm. Struggle can harm ghost types, so Pokemon who only have normal type moves would have limited NPI. This applies to things like status effects, which is why its soul manipulation

Empowerment and Reactive Power Level: Pokemon are powered by the bonds between them and their trainer, which is how the true power of a Pokemon is unleashed through mega evolution, Z moves and Dynamax. A Pokemon's strength is magnified manifold if they fight to protect someone they trust and care for

Resistances:

Mind Manipulation: Professor Bellis states that the stronger the bond between a trainer and Pokemon is, the better they can resist the effects of Mewtwo's mind control. She says its a theory, but this is proven to be true as Ash's Pikachu could resist Colress' mind control machine through his bond with Ash. Pokemon can fight off the confusion status effect (see next scan)
(Limited) Sleep, Paralysis, Electricity, Ice, Fire: Pokemon can brush off status effects through sheer determination. In Legends: Arceus, its revealed that a Pokemon can fight off status effects.

All OHKO moves: Durability Negation and (Guillotine is stated to ensure defeat in a single move and Cilan states that it always KOs the enemy in one hit. In XYZ, its stated that Guillotine knocks the enemy out in one hit. Clay states that Horn Drill finishes off an enemy in one hit. Horace states that Sheer Cold is a one hit kill move after Articuno KOs Gary’s Umbreon. However, Sheer Cold will not work if the enemy is a higher level than the user. And I know it says it will miss, but he just means it won’t work as the Sheer Cold did hit Sceptile and didn't KO it. This is supported by the fact that Glastrier has below absolute zero ice that doesn’t have an OHKO effect, proving Sheer Cold is both OHKO and Absolute Zero) A level in Pokemon is canon, its just that being a higher level won’t mean you’re stronger, so this only applies to other Pokemon, when using OHKO moves against characters in another verse, this won’t apply. Also, it will only be durability negation within reason, a Pokemon obviously can’t nullify the durability of someone 20 times more durable than the most durable Pokemon they can one shot

Destiny Bond: Fate Manipulation (Causes the enemy to suffer the same fate as the user if the enemy KOs the user). This is not damage transferal because this is how it looks like in the anime and if it was damage transferal, Glalie would have probably get hurt, but instead it just fainted like Misdreavus. Also, its name is “destiny bond” implying it bonds destiny with the target, and I know its just a name but its not like names cannot be used to convey information. Almost every attack’s name in Pokemon is literal, like “Skill Swap” is literally swapping skills, “Bullet Seed” is shooting out seeds like a bullet. The chances of the name “destiny bond” not being literal are very low given the number of attack names that aren’t literal (there aren’t that many, I can’t think of any right now). If you disagree, I propose at least a "likely fate manipulation"
I agree with the NPI which effects everything other then normal type moves

It sounds more limited for Empowerment and Reactive Power level as it would only apply to trained Pokemon

This seems exclusive to trained Pokemon as well.

Super Fang should be Durability Negation but I don't think it should be life manipulation without further context (which likely does exist)

Limited Durability negation seems pretty clear as they are one shot moves for Pokemon which are comparable or even superior in Durability

Agree on Burning Jelousy, Twinkle Tackle and Dragon pulses additions

Trick Room sounds like Law Manipulation

Destiny Bond is definitly Fate Manipulation

Anyways reading it now

I agree with the NPI which effects everything other then normal type moves

It sounds more limited for Empowerment and Reactive Power level as it would only apply to trained Pokemon

This seems exclusive to trained Pokemon as well.

Super Fang should be Durability Negation but I don't think it should be life manipulation without further context (which likely does exist)

Limited Durability negation seems pretty clear as they are one shot moves for Pokemon which are comparable or even superior in Durability

Agree on Burning Jelousy, Twinkle Tackle and Dragon pulses additions

Trick Room sounds like Law Manipulation

Destiny Bond is definitly Fate Manipulation
Ok

While I read the rest of this thread, I feel like this will need to be expanded on. Ghost is also immune to Fighting. And while I am pretty sure it is already somewhere on this wiki, the immunity is negated by moves like Foresight and Odor Sleuth (both of which remove the target's Intangibility. They don't let Electricity hit Ground or Dragon hit Fairy or something like that, so they aren't Res Neg).

I’d imagine in a verse with like, 5 total deaths, death manip wouldnt pop up
Ash alone has died at least half a dozen times. There has been multiple temporary deaths and even a couple permadeaths on screen, and this is in the Anime (the most child friendly version of Pokémon. On a semi-related note, I've not seen death handled as maturely in any other media as it was in the Gen 7 episode where Stoutland died from old age) alone. And Yveltal got some real mean death hax going on, including, but not limited to, death hax on touch.

You can't just heal to remove electricity from your body, or fire, or being frozen, or being confused
Happens all the time in fiction.

Anyway, as for my opinions:
Yes to NPI, no to Soul Manip.
Mind manip would only be relevant to trainer profiles, which I know less about, so I won't say anything there.
No to (Limited) Sleep, Paralysis, Electricity, Ice, Fire resistances. Either limited Healing, or haxless fiction shenanigans. Probably the former.
No to Life Manip, yes to Dura Neg for Super Fang.
I agree with ultimate on OHKO moves: Limited dura neg.
I am neutral, leaning slightly towards No for Vibration Manipulation for Dragon Pulse.
Yes to Empathic Manipulation for Burning Jealousy and Spatial Manipulation for Twinkle Tackle.
Trick Room, I don't want to get into. It seems to be Law Manip to me, but I do not vibe with it being Law Manip on a personal level.
Yes to Fate Manip for Destiny Bond.

Last edited:
Why does that matter? It happens because its a power. Its like saying breathing fire is something that happens a lot in fiction so its not a power
In this case, it is more likely than not limited Healing. But there are cases where it is definitely not any sort of hax (such as examples where a fire engulfing someone's body is put out by them flexing or moving at high speeds).

In this case, it is more likely than not limited Healing. But there are cases where it is definitely not any sort of hax (such as examples where a fire engulfing someone's body is put out by them flexing or moving at high speeds).
You can't do that to fight off confusion, being frozen, or electric based paralysis though. Or sleep manipulation

You can't do that to fight off confusion, being frozen, or electric based paralysis though. Or sleep manipulation
It was one example. Confusion, and arguably Sleep can be handled in other ways, without any hax needing to get involved. Frozen and Paralyzed I will give you. But using hax for any (and especially all) of them points much more towards Healing (recovering from the applied effect) than Resistance (lessening the applied effect or not being affected in the first place via pseudo-immunity, if the resistance is strong enough).

Last edited:
You can't just heal to remove electricity from your body, or fire, or being frozen, or being confused
Lum berries, self-curer IQ skill, the move Refresh all heal status conditions. For a more general example, pretty much every RPG in fiction has healing items that cure status effects. Not sure why this would be any different.

It was one example. Confusion, and arguably Sleep can be handled in other ways, without any hax needing to get involved. Frozen and Paralyzed I will give you. But using hax for any (and especially all) of them points much more towards Healing (recovering from the applied effect) than Resistance (lessening the applied effect or not being affected in the first place via pseudo-immunity, if the resistance is strong enough).
Them being able to survive and fight off fire, electricity and mind control is limited resistance

Lum berries, self-curer IQ skill, the move Refresh all heal status conditions. For a more general example, pretty much every RPG in fiction has healing items that cure status effects. Not sure why this would be any different.
Because those are type 3 purification, this is resisting

Ok so
-Totally agree with NPI
-Soul manip no, you need to be capable of directly manipulating souls either out of someone's body or just controlling them to get it
-I agree with limited healing instead of resistances, though only pokemon with trainers would get it (btw it appeared fire in Sun and Moon, not PLA). Not everyone who can tank a fire attack is resistant to fire manip especially if they took damage from the attack in question, it just means they're very durable.
-I disagree with dura neg for OHKO moves since on multiple occasions they don't kill the opponent in one hit, Groudon vs Kyogre being a great example of that
-More moves besides super fang can cut stamina directly in half, one of the moves used in Ash vs. Drasnea had the same effect and it was confirmed to work as such by Clemont. I disagree with life manip though.
-yes for empa manip
-yes for space manip
-i feel as though it should fall under space-time manipulation and add in law manipulation
-yes for fate manip

I feel like you should add in the already accepted space-time manip for all pokemon

-I agree with limited healing instead of resistances, though only pokemon with trainers would get it (btw it appeared fire in Sun and Moon, not PLA). Not everyone who can tank a fire attack is resistant to fire manip especially if they took damage from the attack in question, it just means they're very durable.
-I disagree with dura neg for OHKO moves since on multiple occasions they don't kill the opponent in one hit, Groudon vs Kyogre being a great example of that
Do you think breaking out of mind control is just healing? Or breaking out of being frozen or paralysed?

Groudon could have just been higher levelled. Also, those are only 2 ocassions, while i brought up 5

Do you think breaking out of mind control is just healing? Or breaking out of being frozen or paralysed?
Mind control is available only to extremely we-trained pokemon
Paralysis is weird but electricity isn't gonna stay infinitely in one body and considering it's likely something that directly affects muscle then it means the pokemon in question could probably break out physically

Freezing is key here though.
I agree with "Limited resistance to Extreme Colds and Absolute Zero" via being able to live through Sheer cold and tank and even break out of freezing

Paralysis is weird but electricity isn't gonna stay infinitely in one body and considering it's likely something that directly affects muscle then it means the pokemon in question could probably break out physically

Freezing is key here though.
I agree with "Limited resistance to Extreme Colds and Absolute Zero" via being able to live through Sheer cold and tank and even break out of freezing

What?

Well in Pokemon it does internal damage, that's why we see the skeleton of people sometimes, even for Original Series Pikachu

And sure, limited absolute zero resistance is obvious. Especially for Ash's Pikachu in the scan I sent, but journeys Pikachu needs a new key

Them being able to survive and fight off fire, electricity and mind control is limited resistance
That's like saying regeneration isn't regeneration, but resistance to damage. Resistance would be if, for example, Paralysis only activated 10% of the time rather than 25% of the time on some Pokémon. Healing is getting rid of the paralysis.
In fact, healing from something like that is quite literally a synonym for fighting off something like that.

Last edited:
That's like saying regeneration isn't regeneration, but resistance to damage.
if you take damage from something and heal from it, it would be a resistance to that damage (durability), and regeneration

Resistance would be if, for example, Paralysis only activated 10% of the time rather than 25% of the time on some Pokémon. Resistance won't break you free from the Frozen, Paralyzed, Poisoned, or Burning status. Healing will.

You think that you can just heal and the ice disappears? Same for electricity, and sleep inducement? The fact that they can fight off sleep while asleep means they have a limited resistance to it

if you take damage from something and heal from it, it would be a resistance to that damage (durability), and regeneration
No. It's just regeneration. You taking the hit in the first place is durability. Regenerating from it is not resistance to anything, just like recovering from status conditions aren't a resistance to anything.

You think that you can just heal and the ice disappears? Same for electricity, and sleep inducement? The fact that they can fight off sleep while asleep means they have a limited resistance to it
Resisting the ice doesn't make the ice go away either, it just makes you affected less. In fact, being IMMUNE to ice doesn't make the ice go away (unless the immunity comes from your body being extremely hot of course). It just makes you able to ignore it. Electricity will eventually go away on its own. It's usually quite difficult to sleep while getting actively beaten up. And do you know what all these things have in common? They're status effects that can be healed from. Shaking off those status effects and healing from them are literally synonyms, and the franchise itself uses the term "heal" for many of the items that cure status conditions.
This is not a hill you want to die on. There's a 0% chance of you being correct. Shaking off status conditions is Healing, not Resistance.

No. It's just regeneration.
Why? You think that surviving an attack isn't durability?

Resisting the ice doesn't make the ice go away either, it just makes you affected less. In fact, being IMMUNE to ice doesn't make the ice go away (unless the immunity comes from your body being extremely hot of course). It just makes you able to ignore it.
Don't dodge the question, do you think surviving being frozen solid in a block of ice and fighting it off is just healing?

Electricity will eventually go away on its own.

It very explicitly states that they fight it off, proving its not just going away on its own. Read the OP before commenting

It's usually quite difficult to sleep while getting actively beaten up.

Again, its explicitly said that they fight it off, and its possible for a Pokemon to fight it off even if they're not taking hits from an enemy

And do you know what all these things have in common? They're status effects that can be healed from. Shaking off those status effects and healing from them are literally synonyms, and the franchise itself uses the term "heal" for many of the items that cure status conditions.

Yes, so its both healing and resistance

This is not a hill you want to die on. There's a 0% chance of you being correct. Shaking off status conditions is Healing, not Resistance.

Nice cherrypicking. They don't just heal, they also survive the burn, electricity or freezing, which is limited resistance

They don't just heal, they also survive the burn, electricity or freezing
Even real world people with no resistance to any of those can survive catching on fire, getting struck by lightning, and being buried under an avalanche.

Last edited:
Even real world people with no resistance to any of those can survive catching on fire, getting struck by lightning, and being buried under an avalanche.
Ok fire I can understand, but being struck by lightning and surviving is different from surviving a lot of lightning touching you and breaking out of it

The avalanche example is a massive false equivalence and I can't believe you would even think of that. Surviving being buried under an avalance is different from surviving being frozen in a block of ice

Like i said before, just to make it clear, i think Pokemon deserve limited resistance to extreme colds and absolute zero because they don't die when they get frozen by sheer cold when a normal person would get frostbite in moments and would die near instantly due to the extreme cold

The avalanche example is a massive false equivalence and I can't believe you would even think of that. Surviving being buried under an avalance is different from surviving being frozen in a block of ice
In both examples, you're completly surrounded by ice.

In both examples, you're completly surrounded by ice.
You're definitely trolling now, nobody actually thinks being surrounded by snow is the same as surviving ice that can flash freeze

Like i said before, just to make it clear, i think Pokemon deserve limited resistance to extreme colds and absolute zero because they don't die when they get frozen by sheer cold when a normal person would get frostbite in moments and would die near instantly due to the extreme cold
Sure, we can add that

Ok, purification then. They're not resisting it because they're affected the same way, but they are able to shake it off after it has affected them.
Surviving fire, electricity is also resistance, and purifying yourself from confusion should be limited resistance since they can still fight off status effects while under the effects of confusion

Surviving fire, electricity is also resistance, and purifying yourself from confusion should be limited resistance since they can still fight off status effects while under the effects of confusion
We've already argued about this before but lightning in pokemon isn't really something that can affect you in a way normal lightning does. The electricity is hot and painful and can technically paralyze (only certain moves though) but we've never seen anyone, even normal humans, have their inner water boiled up or their heart stopped by the electricity, suggesting that it indeed does not bypass durability.

I think that giving pokemon "minor resistance to heat manipulation" is ok since they don't get melted by fire that can melt through rocks and mountains

We've already argued about this before but lightning in pokemon isn't really something that can affect you in a way normal lightning does. The electricity is hot and painful and can technically paralyze (only certain moves though) but we've never seen anyone, even normal humans, have their inner water boiled up or their heart stopped by the electricity, suggesting that it indeed does not bypass durability.
That could just mean the humans survive it, and people have fainted due to electrocution before. We don't do this for any verse where electricity has never shown to stop someone's heart

Back