• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pichu Vs. Gunvolt

Pichu has Lightning Rod, which allows him to passively absorb nearby electric attacks to turn into homing attacks towards him, BUT, also absorbing them to increase the AP of his ranged attacks.

Unless I´m missing something, GV can only properly harm Pichu with tags.

Well than this is a stomp that shouldn't exist. Gunvolt can only use his weakest attacks while Pichu has everything.

Well, in that case Pichu can just have the ability Static instead, which likely will be useless here, but at least it would be more fair.

Then again, GV has a weapon that disables tags, but is more powerfu overall.

This is more interesting without Lightning Rod anyway. Also Dullihan still dosn't do that much damage compared to GV's electricity.

Even if pichu would have lightning rod, i doubt gunvolt and pichu would be able to damage each other enough to warrant a win to either. But with static, I feel that gunvolt should be able to win or make it inconclusive at worst. With gv's (gunvolt's) electricity doing a constant stream of damage, the flashfield neutralizing most attacks, and gv's ability to instantly recharge his ep (energy). I think gv migh be able to take pichu. I don't think pichu would have the ability to maintain a clash with gunvolts lightning for long due to his poor control and shocking of himself, and looking at pichu's moveset, I don't see a lot that would hit gv with his prevasion and flashfield. However, if there were some move I've been overlooking, we do have to consider gv's experience with versatile enemies. He would likely adapt fairly quickly to pichu's fighting style. Even then, he can heal instantly. I wouldn't say iron tail is a good response to luxcalibur. In game, iron tail has low accuracy, but putting that aside, since it's comparable to pichu's electricity, it should be comparable to gv's electricity (which we are assuming is comparable to pichu's electricty even though it should be slightly stronger). In game, luxcalibur does massive burst damage compared to gunvolts lightning over a short periods of time. So iron tail wouldn't be a good response. This isn't considering gv's support moves that can heal, reset his ep, increase damage, and other buffs. While pichu has a few moves to heal, they leave him open to attack. Wish ingame takes a turn, which would equate to the time to attack, and rest puts him to sleep. Pichu does have access to nasty plot, which could turn the tables with its 2x boost. However, unless pichu does it at the start, gv would likely have adapted to pichu's patterns (as pichu would likely be inexperienced in fighting due to its age, it stands to reason that it would be fairly predictable in battle) and would be able to dodge the attacks. Even if pichu hit gv, there's always gv's ability to heal and to increase his own damage to counter pichu's boost. ( I wouldn't use gv's ability to absorb due to us have pichu not have lightning rod to keep it fair.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that pichu's boost would put him at building +, the same level has gv. But ignoring this, gv can increase his own damage and; as stated, gv has ways to heal and has access to anthem. With pichu having static, I vote for gunvolt.

Well, Pichu can still move while using Wish, the effects happen while he is doing something else, he can also just use Wish then Protect to safely heal himself.

Pichu can also enhance his AP, Dura and speed with Z-Celebrate, but I don´t think we are going to apply Z-Moves here, right?

I think with speed equalization prevents the increasing. As stated in my previous post, that would likely make pichu building +, same level as gv. We can apply z moves if we want.

Also light ball only affects pikachu

The Smashor said:
Then it can't have Light Ball
Light Ball only works on Pikachu anyways.

As far I know, it has been updated and speed boosting is now allowed again in speed equalized matches.

Very well.

Pichu has Sweet Kiss (which can limit GV´s options) and Encore (which forces him to spam the last move he used for a while, allowing for an easy overheat if Pichu uses it when he´s using his flashfield).

Sweet Kiss only causes confusion, which wears off quickly. Also, prevasion would likely kick in. Encore might work, but his ep replenishes naturally.

EDIT: Encore lasts for 3 turns; how long is a turn? Also, encore lasts until the pp of the move is out. Which, in this case, would be gv's ep. He has a skill to instantly recover from overheat if necessary, and he recovers from overheat fairly quickly naturally. Along with his ability to adapt to combat patterns (of which pichu would have a fairly obvious one due to his inexperience) he should be able to recover without being hit.

A turn outside of game mechanics is what we have in the anime, which basically forces the inflicted one to use the last move it used three times consecutively, should they lack the means to do so, it´ll be simply injured by a fruitless attemp to do so.

Then it's debatable to what would happen. We don't know if using the flashfield for the entire ep would count as a move or using it for simply a moment. Putting that aside, encore ends if 3 turns have passed or if the pokemon runs out of pp for its move. I'm not sure where you're getting "it'll be simply injured bya fruitless attempt to do so." Pp is the energy to use a move. Ep is the energy to use an adepts powers. Since they are similar, it stands to reason that running out of ep is similar to running out of pp, which ends encore. As stated in my last post, gv has the ability to deal with overheating quickly if encore does cause overheat.

I´ll try to put it clear with this scenario:

GV just stopped using his flashfield and is aiming his gun, then Pichu uses Encore.

GV is forced via Encore to repeat using his flashfield in the same pattern he did.

Which means, that the results of it in this depend if GV was just keeping it on for a good while or just used it briefly in his last use of it, the first one leads to a guarranted overheat, while the latter leads to just a brief lack of control over the flashfield.

His weapon counts as equipment, and so it´ll surely not be affected by Encore, at most he just won´t be able to switch weapon while Encore goes on, but that shouldn´t matter much.

It's not forcing to repeat the same pattern, it's using a move 3 consecuative times. I'm sure he can pause between uses as long as he doesn't use another move. Also, GV's whole playstyle includes managing his ep, I can't imagine him risking using all of his ep. Even if he does somehow overheat, he can just bypass overheat with Split Second. Also, as stated before, he's experienced with reading patterns and dodging attacks. If he does overheat, not use split second, and gets hit. He can restore health with galvanic patch or galvanic renewal or revive with Anthem if it kills him (which I really doubt).

I'm not sure if the gun won't be affected, it might.

Also, nice gif Smashor.

I´m really sure Encore forces the target to crazily spam the last move used, also limiting his options while it lasts, which also means that he can´t use SP moves as those interrupt his flashfield´s usage, at least until he overheats.

Well, the only reason GV woudl use flashfield before tagging is to just keep a distance between himself and Pichu.

GV is able to heal and all, but he can´t spam it, which means that once GV uses an SP move, he can take advantage of it and use Encore to make him run out of SP.

I do agree with your previous post about gv likely being able to use his gun during encore looking at how it works in game. However, I doubt encore causes the target to spam the move. Looking at the games, you can use your equipment while the pokemon doesn't attack. So, gunvolt could wait and recharge his ep while firing his gun.

Also, I said gv could use split second after overheat was caused (and encore would then be stopped).

I mean I remember Dawn in the Gen 4 anime having her Ambipom being inflicted by Encore, and it was seemingly forced to repeteadly spam the last move it used.

Can you provide a link to the video?

EDIT: Also, even if it is spamming as you state, I did address this in an earlier post. But, to recap, GV can recover from overheat pretty quickly without skills and instantly with split second. Also, if he does get hit (which I also addressed) he can quickly repair the damage with galvanic patch/renewal. There's always Anthem if worse comes to worse, which powers up gunvolt.

The problem is that Pichu can spam Encore, at least for a while until he runs out of PP in that one (as he can use it up to eight times), which means that Pichu can make GV run out of SP moves quickly if he uses one once, especially if it´s a defensive one, as Pichu won´t even have to move to begin with.

As for the link, I looked it up, found no results.

Any suggestion s I may find it?

Once more, I don't think encore makes the opponent viciously spam the attack. Do we consider the anime canon? Some information contradicts the games. Also, each skill will have a cooldown. I'm not sure how this will interact with encore. It could be that the opponent uses the move until they can't use it, which cooldown would garentee that encore's effect would stop. But if it's specifically pp, then cooldown wouldn't help. On top of this, is pichu smart enough to use encore stategically? It is fairly inexperienced after all. But I may be downgrading pichu. Additionally, would pichu think to use encore? It does have access to a lot of other moves. Once again, I may be not giving pichu enough credit. The pokedex implies that pichu has a mind similar to that of a child as playing with a pichu's tail to make sparks is "a test of courage". The pokedex also states that pichu zapping someone surprises itself, once more implying a child like mindset.

As far I know, the Pokémon anime is canon too, after all, more than half of the Pokémon profiles take into account the anime.

Encore is an egg move, aka, a move Pichu can know when born, so he should have some experience with it,

Pchus are often a baby Pokémon, but some of the most popular Pichus in the series are actually quite comparable to Pikachu in terms of intelligence.

Alright.

I suppose that's true. So how much experience would a pichu have?

Could you give me some examples? Also, it's always possible that these pichu are special.

Likely that up to a Pikachu´s.

I searched up, and the Pokémon wiki points that about half of the Pichus shown in the anime are quite clever.

Couldn't find too much. I did find Party Panic which shows pichu's idea to build a hot air balloon out of trash, which is clever. However, I'm not sure if this corrolates to battle cleverness. He could just be mimicing the humans, but regardless, this does show some intelligence. However, in Wooper and Pichu go Exploring, pichu grabs a balloon and starts floating away, which shows a lack of intelligence. This could just be a lack of prior knowledge, but pichu appears to know what a balloon is. This, combined with what the pokedex entries imply, shows that pichu isn't too bright. The hot air balloon was fairly clever, but this could just be mimicing humans. Also, this might not corrolate with battle intelligence/cleverness.

The best way to call Pichu´s intelligence is like of a 3 year old, still lacking experience about basic stuff, hell, he can´t even properly control his own electricity yet until he turns into a Pikachu.

I would say he's a few years older than that. But, regardless, I do agree that his intelligence is comparable to a child's. Not sure how this would corrospond to battle intelligence, but, based on this and the lack of experience, I would say pichu can come up with very basic plans or strategies.

I'm gonna summarize the main and counter points from each person. Part 1 will be chronological and part 2 will be a part by part break down. This is Part 1 and I'll do part 2 today or tomorrow, depending on how much work I have to do. Also I say GV a lot in here, this refers to gunvolt.

MYHERO and Bobsican talk about rules and minor points that's repeated (so I'm not gonna put them out of laziness) I say it's a tie due to both not being able to do much. Smashor said GV would win due to resiliance in healing, anthem, and prevasion along with ultility. Bobsician said that pichu can break prevasion w/ nuzzle and stated pichu can absorb electricity of GV's body.Which Superweeb countered saying that pichu wouldn't know what GV is doing, so that wouldn't happen. Bobscian says that he can't spam healing (which is true), and volt tackle could nullfying prevasion. I come in and counter this with the fact that GV has countered a similar technique. Bobsican says there's discharge and volt tackle that can mimic the flashfield and overpower GV along with pichu's absorption. I also bring up the fact that GV also has electricity absorption. Also, Bobscian brings up endeavor, which I refute due to prevasion and anthem allowing him a second chance so he'll kow he has avoid it. Bobsican says that prevasion can be broken then endeavor, which I respond with GV's fighting style is at a distance. Bobsican also states that Pichu can combine swift and thunderbolt, which I then call into question pichu's intelligence and lack of control. Bobsican says that pichu should be pretty smart. Smashor comes in to help with the anit-endeavor argument saying there's no vunerability when using prevasion and the intelligence scan Bobsican used was for pikachu and that pichu was not intelligent. Bonsican says that pichu would then just spam electric attacks (which would hurt GV despite me saying that he can absorb electricity a little bit ago). Smashor says that GV would be able to dodge and use flashfield. Bobsican and Smashor then come to the conclusion that lightning rod shouldn't be used and only static should be. I write a response (essay) on why I believe Gunvolt would win. My argument was that GV was more resiliant and had a lot of options in countering whatever pichu could do. Bobsican brings up pichu's ability to increase stats, which I refute by stating that GV has a higher AP and that the stat increase would match GV's higher AP and that the speed increase would be prevented by speed equalization. Bobsican brings up sweet kis and encore. I state that sweet kiss wears off quickly and wouldn't be much help. We then get into a discussion of how encore works and how it affects the opponent. We agree that encore forces the opponent to use a move three times. Bobsican states that he believes encore causes the target to spam crazily. Bobsican states that pichu could force GV to spam his skill and use up his SP (skill points). I counter with questioning how pichu would know to do that and if he would even think on that. We debate about pichu's intelligence and come to the conclusion that pichu is comparable to a small child in terms of intelligence. No evidence is shown that encore causes the opponent to crazily spam. Then Dragonboi9191 says that pichu would win with endeavor (which Smashor and I refuted). Then Bobsican asks for a summarization due to the disorganization.

SilverBlaze109 said:
You didn't read all my posts on how that wouldn't work/would be countered did you? Do you want me to summarize them?
Wait, endeavor is a defensive move wich leaves the user at 1 hp regardless of damage, right?

Back