• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Phoenix Wright vs Makoto Naegi

Not a physical battle, no. This battle will be a battle of wits. Phoenix and Makoto will face off against each other in a trial, and the one who wins, well, wins.
Makoto Naegi
Phoenix Wright Trilogy Art

Sure. Yes to both. It would be The End of Hopes Peak Academy Makoto, but unfortunately that hasn't come out yet, and won't until late next month.

Seems like they're both clever enough to find out what the truth actually is, and they both have a sense of justice that would compel them to not lie about the truth. Not sure how this can be a battle trial if they both just see the truth and agree on it.

And the evidence to support your theory?

According to the ace attorney wiki: http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Phoenix_Wright. Phoenix wright is confirmed to be 21-35 years old so phoenix has more experience then makoto who is only 17-18 years old and by the amount of cases in phoenix wright games. Phoenix wright has basically been through a lot of cases and mysteries so he wins this battle of wits and he also outsmarted a few expert prosecutors so there's that

TurboTriangle601 said:
And the evidence to support your theory?
According to the ace attorney wiki: http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Phoenix_Wright. Phoenix wright is confirmed to be 21-35 years old so phoenix has more experience then makoto who is only 17-18 years old
OBJECTION!

The first case in the original Phoenix Wright game was supposed to be Phoenix's first case. Even with prior training, this still puts them on even terms when it comes to first-hand experience.

If you ask me, Makoto did a lot better with his first case than Phoenix did, especially since his life was on the line (unlike Phoenix) and he was the one suspected by everybody (unlike Phoenix).

Hard to decide, since Phoenix has a lot more experience, but Makoto uses facts, while Phoenix sometimes uses bluffs to save himself and buy time to investigate. I'm not really sure about this one.

Makoto has consistently worked under pressure of immediate death of himself or everyone left (aside from the real killer) back to back while trapped inside the school. I'd say he has the stronger will and has never failed to make the mental connections necessary to win a trial one the first try. Pheonix regularly has to make up shit to stall for time, hope to get breaks in the trial to have more chances to investigate for evidence, gets saved all the time by assistants and dramatic new witnesses showing up suddenly that he didn't bring in or know about himself, etc.

If it's a life or death trial situation decided in one sitting, I'd say the edge goes to Makoto for having more experience with his own back against the wall, winning cases without a chance to take a breather and regroup to plan a new strategy or gather more evidence after seeing part of the trial unfold the way pheonix seems to need to almost every single case he's been in.

So all in all, if this was a 'first person to figure out the truth lives and the other dies' contest I'd have to go with Makoto. Otherwise if one of them is the guilty one they would both eventualy figure it out and agree since they both have a strict moral code, so that wouldn't be a good contest.

If this was a lighthearted competition with nothing on the line then id say it's a stalemate. Makoto hasn't been shown to have the same level of insight when not under extreme duress and pheonix also only really performs under pressure.

That's only because Naegi has a natural optimism

@Thesworddancer: What about trial 4 where Naegi pretended not to know anything? You can't say that he was stalling for time with that one.

As for Phoenix, he is actually a lot luckier than Makoto.

Examples:

1. Fell off a burning bridge only to fall into a rapid moving river and come out of it with a cold

2. Got hit by a car, flew into a telephone pole, and hit his head. Only to come out ip with sprained ankle (WTF)

Also Phoenix has also been prosecuted for murder before so he's had his life on the line and played it cool for most of it (except for Dahlia cuz he was still lovestruck)

I'll give my point to Wright

Got to give it to Wright, he is more intelligent and has the experience advantage, as much as I love Danganronpa Makoto would lose.

Where's this claim that Makoto pretended to not know anything come from? In trial 4, he was working out that Sakura commited suicide just the same way he was working out the other murders.

Trial 5 was a sham by the true mastermind though. He couldn't have done that no matter how good he was. I doubt Phoenix could have either. Not even Kyoko could work it out.

Not quite. In any case, you claimed that Phoenix is Luckier. No way, Makoto survived his own Execution, and the subsequent fall down the no-way-to-tell-how-high-it-is garbage chute. You claimed that Phoenix's life was on the line when he was the accused. It was less his life and more his freedom. A big difference.

Also, maybe Hajime could be a good opponent for Phoenix in a battle of wits. I'd bet my money that Hajime is smarter than Makoto.

Pheonix due to having more experience actually solving mysteries. Naegi is smart but he was relatively new during Danganronpa, and he was forced into it too.

Phoenix was "relatively new" as well. Do you remember the very first thing that Mia said to him in the first game? If not, it was: "This is it, your first trial".

And he took a really long Haitus from Defending before Dual Destinies began. I could see that being 9 or so years.

Lasatar said:
Not quite. In any case, you claimed that Phoenix is Luckier. No way, Makoto survived his own Execution, and the subsequent fall down the no-way-to-tell-how-high-it-is garbage chute. You claimed that Phoenix's life was on the line when he was the accused. It was less his life and more his freedom. A big difference.
Phoenix is indeed luckier. Like stated above Phoenix has survived things far more dangerous then Makoto's execution. He survived his fall off the burning bridge and survived that very fatal car accident with only a ankle injury... Anyway I say phoenix because while Makoto uses facts, his cases arent as odd as Phoenix's such as Dahlia's case and others. Plus while phoenix usually has one or two people helping him Makoto usually has around 5 or more people helping him. Overall I say Phoenix wins.

Pheonix Wright would be able to win against Makoto in a battle of wits I feel.

For one, Pheonix Wright has had much more experience in courtroom battles/being able to outwit people for 11 Years (keep in mind that Pheonix throughout his poker career did not lose a single time, through his intellect and risk taking antics)

Number two, I feel that Pheonix Wright has dealt with cases on the likes that Hajime would have no way of being able to complete, for example the first game's last case where Pheonix had to use the testimony of Polly the Parrot in order to able to gain some clues about who commited the murder, Dual Destines also had a case where Pheonix once again used a whale's testimony to pick up clues on the case and finally Pheonix being able to put an end to the antics of a highly skilled spy who had commited various large scale atrocities. Looking back at all this would Makoto really be able to deal with the situations Pheonix had been put through?

Would Phoenix be able to outwit Junko? I think you should answer that first.

Also, Phoenix vs Hajime is posted. Check it out.

Back