• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Persona General Revisions Thread Part 4 : 1-C (or higher) Upgrade + Cognition/Character ability additions.

The number of times you asked me to prove a negative in just a single post is astounding. The burden of proof isn't on me here.

I'm not going to go digging through "dozens of scans" among idek how many threads. If I'm wrong provide a counter. I don't have anything to prove here.

I've already made my stance on the upgrade very clear. If you want to discuss this further take it to the wall man I'm done here.
Incorrect. You made several positive counter-claims which is what I responded to. If you wish not to respond to my rebuttal of your points that directly pertain to this thread then I won't bother you anymore. Have a good one.

I disagree for a couple of reasons.
In this case it is literally the concept itself that is being used. Archetypes are what drive cognition [2] and give human beings the power to bend reality via perception. P4 goes out of its way to explain this and they fulfill the same position they do in Jung's paradigm. I also posted the note on synchronicity where the P4 professor explains (in much simpler terms) synchronicity and ties it into "constellations" with the second piece of evidence in brackets showing exactly what persona was specifically referencing. Here it is again. I also posted the eternity scan which aligned directly with the view of the archetype which suffices more than "Carl Jung being a person in Persona.". He very clearly described reality enough to make an artifact granting god power. The sections that line up from source material to actual Carl Jung teachings are descriptive and functional in nature which should be more than enough, along with the general premise of Kadath being a world similar to the forms of Plato.
That still doesn't really matter. Again, the concept itself being used doesn't mean you can pull details from external sources to justify any ratings, especially since, again, those specific statements are not in the verse, even though the ideas which they describe are. We really only concern ourselves with things that are in the text, and everything else is pretty much irrelevant, unless the series is just really extensive in its explanations and quotes all of the relevant paragraphs verbatim, like I said before. Similar arguments were rejected for plenty of other verses, and this case is no different.

What do the references to Plato's Forms address, exactly? From what I remember, the only mention of them refers to an in-game weapon being the Form of a bow, which doesn't seem very promising for obvious reasons.

Because the physical reality is a literal illusion. This is covered by both Philemon and Morgana. The true world is the worlds of the archetypes which humans manifest in different ways. Without archetypes you can't have understanding, without understanding you can't have cognition. Humans gain the power to recognize patterns because of the archetypes (forms) being present in their psyche a priori. This is what allows them to use cognition and change reality.
Citation needed. The only thing I remember that's anywhere close to an explicit indication of that is Persona 2 making some vague references to the concepts of Maya and Brahman. Everything else just relates to humanity collectively having Subjective Reality, which is very much a staple of Shin Megami Tensei as a whole and not really something that necessarily relates to ontological transcendence. The latter is for you to prove, which you haven't, as far as I see.

The transcendence comes from being realized enough that you can enter the Kadath via your dreams. I've seen similar things utilized in a couple of other 1A verses such as Twin Peaks and I'm pretty sure some Lovecraft stuff. In order to access the deepest part of the Unconscious one has the be realized enough. Which is what is corroborated by Philemon stating humans would reach a perfect state if more of them were woke enough to get power ups like Persona's (aka self realized people).
Realms being accessible through dreams is not evidence of transcendence on its own. Twin Peaks and Lovecraft are Tier 1 for completely different reasoning, and both of them are cosmologies where transcendental spaces just to happen to be connected to dreams, so all of this is just missing the forest for the trees. Likewise, needing to be enlightened to enter the deeper parts of the Unconscious is also not necessarily evidence for transcendence unless otherwise indicated by the verse, and, so far, you haven't really proven that this is the case.

Takuto Maruki from Persona 5 actually reaches this point and awakens Adam Kadmon, the archetype (which is blatantly being platonic in language) of this idea Philemon spoke of.
That's an extremely vague and watered down description of the Adam Kadmon that really doesn't amount to anything. It being described as an "ideal" only amounts to Abstract Existence, if taken literally, and in fact implies that it is not platonic to begin with, as Idealism in the modern sense rejects both the notion that the world is separate from human perception in any way and the existence of abstract objects that exist independently of the mind, which is very much the opposite of Plato's cosmology.

I never said it was every single detail though. I simply stated that the gate is clearly being depicted as similar in function to the one in Cthulu mythos. Both are gates leading from one side of reality to a much more unbounded one, one typically unbounded by space and time. Past that I am not taking anything from Cthulu mythos and have used strictly Persona stuff to conclude the tiering.
I explained why I believe Persona to be 1-C through 1-A, and never brought up Chtulu scaling directly. Me saying the gate in function is the same is inconsequential to the actual stat that comes after it. The ultimate Gate is clearly a narrative tool that Persona is lending from Cthulu mythos, and they go through quite great lengths to demonstrate this. I think writing the line about a random demon remembering Carter from 25k+ days ago and that aligning to when Carter disappeared in 1928, the fact that they wrote in Randolph Carter's quests in the KAdath literature and him inhabiting an alien, having Phil represent Nodens in Kadath while Nyar is represented by his faceless avatar, etc. I really don't think it's controversial to use the narrative argument here.
The argument for using the Ultimate Gate being built upon the premise that the levels of the unconscious are levels of transcendence just makes it useless as a justification, since it depends on something you haven't proven yet, and bringing it up as part of the core argument just turns the whole thing into circular reasoning because of that. Given what you are saying, I don't know why you even mentioned it in the first place.

I understand but I did show you that qualia by definition is what shapes Persona's reality, and that this is comparable to space creation and this can be extended even to AI not just humans.
That doesn't matter. Again, higher-dimensional spaces are useless as reasoning if they don't refer to anything in the cosmology and only act as mathematical models. Unless, of course, you think the existence of ocean waves or dust particles in the air somehow proves that the Real World has infinite dimensions.

So what exactly would be the case for such things to be applicable? Because Persona has many worlds as the basis of its universe as well, with the addition of cognitive worlds in addition to physical structures.
See above.

That still doesn't really matter. Again, the concept itself being used doesn't mean you can pull details from external sources to justify any ratings, especially since, again, those specific statements are not in the verse, even though the ideas which they describe are. We really only concern ourselves with things that are in the text, and everything else is pretty much irrelevant,
See but my thing is I am no adding any new concepts to the lore by digging up the quotes. The archetypes being a transcendental ability to recognize inherent patterns is not something that is devoid from Persona. The quotes add context to the ideas described time and time again in persona. For instance we clearly see a direct reference to the archetypes relationship to synchronicity and constellation. Which was explained by the quote I linked in more detail given the teacher implies it would be too deep to explain to you. But given the explicit nature of the subject matter (Jungian philosophy/psychology) we know exactly what he was referring to by bringing that up. Which is why I believe the quote is usable to expound on topics the game canonized.

unless the series is just really extensive in its explanations and quotes all of the relevant paragraphs verbatim, like I said before. Similar arguments were rejected for plenty of other verses, and this case is no different.
Except that I am not arguing solely from the quotes I am using. The quotes are not the lynchpin pieces of evidence. They are clarifiers of the source material. P4 already tells us that the archetypes are the fundamental units of the CU, are infinite, and relate directly to synchronicity and constellation. We have the instances of Umr acting as a concept that can effect all of space and time, and we know the CU predates all life and space/time itself. All of these things are direct attributes of platonic concepts which we already know Jung took major conceptual inspiration from.
What do the references to Plato's Forms address, exactly? From what I remember, the only mention of them refers to an in-game weapon being the Form of a bow, which doesn't seem very promising for obvious reasons.
Because the archetypes are painted as being of an inaccessible realm from which they dictate lower reality below the threshold that divides them based on qualitative existence. The archetypes also being unbound by spacetime, predating it, and creating it.
Citation needed. The only thing I remember that's anywhere close to an explicit indication of that is Persona 2 making some vague references to the concepts of Maya and Brahman.
I don't believe it's valid to call those "vague", given they explicitly touch upon the cosmology. In Kadath you can either fight the demons that exist there (bar some who just want to fight) or a have a philosophical discussion about the concept they embody. That is how you are awarded the concepts comprising Shiori, the girl you need to save from Persona supplantation.

Buddha explains that maya is under illusion like his mother of the same name, if she chooses to say the Self actually matters which then prompts a fight with buddha. Also highlighting my earlier point of enlightenment, transcendence, and the ultimate gate. This is also prevalent given humans are stuck in what is essentially a cycle of samsara.

Virochana outright states the self is but the reflection of actual existence in brahman. "Though thyself art the universe, and thine self is itself, the light that illuminates the soul.". Very close to the Thelemic point of view of every person being a star.

Umr at Tawil who guards the Ultimate Gate is referred to as the avatar of the "All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self" another illusion to this idea personified by various archetypes in the CU.

This concept being the legit first thing ever seen in a persona game as the opening to Persona 1 and a core theme behind the game typically exemplified by Philemon himself [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

The name "Kadath Mandala" is specific to the Tatsuya scenario. In P2 and the databook it is called Monado Mandala, which is a 2 for one package indicating what the realm is. The monad referring to the first root of existence from which all other things arise form, and the Mandala being the archetype of the self [2] representing the humans being smaller parts of the unified existence and meaning. Seen also in the "structure" of Kadath and it being a thelemic based hexagram detailing the microcosm and macrocosm dynamic.

This is consistent with what the CU is stated to be in Persona. A connected network of consciousness, beyond space and time, predating humans and space time itself, which consist of infinite archetypes, or pre-mental [2] forms which pervade all consciousness and allow for the pattern recognition that in turns allow for "cognition" or understanding one's senses, thoughts, and feelings which in turn is what gives humans their subjective reality. Not a concrete materialistic "real world" of time and space, which is why such concepts are meaningless to realms lower than Kadath. Which is an abyss unto itself of non existence bar the archetypes who exist there as the bedrock of realities across all space times as without the existence of the "foundational" archetypes allowing for recognition of boundaries (in the case of Umr's archetype) their can be no boundaries elsewhere.

Similarly in SMT, the Great Reason is conceptualized as a collective unconscious, or sentience that created all things by experiencing itself.

All of this being based on Carl Jung's Unus Mundus model of everything which literally can describe Persona's cosmology with the 2-A multiverse being represented by the split of physical and psychological with he Unconscious being unbound by and outside of it despite holding it as a segment of itself once actualized, which is the term for cognition manipulation in persona used to turn concepts into reality. Making it the canvas on which all of existence is painted, and the archetypes acting as the paint needed to actualize all of existence.
That's an extremely vague and watered down description of the Adam Kadmon that really doesn't amount to anything. It being described as an "ideal" only amounts to Abstract Existence, if taken literally, and in fact implies that it is not platonic to begin with, as Idealism in the modern sense rejects both the notion that the world is separate from human perception in any way and the existence of abstract objects that exist independently of the mind, which is very much the opposite of Plato's cosmology.
It's watered down sure because it is a paragraph but it's not "vague" and in no way is in reference to modern idealism. It specifically says "deific form" which denotes Adam Kadmon's existence as the first archetypal form made in god's image (infinite light after Ein sof contracted his vacuum and after deciding to have intention to create) of existence in Kaballah, predating the Sephirot itself. Adam Kadmon, as noted in the previous link, being pure potential to evolve into something whole and perfect, which is an actual thing mentioned for humanity in persona and why persona users are special, and it also notes Adam Kadmon corresponding to the collective unconscious. Which is then referenced by it being "primordial". The "ideal" here not representing ideals in the sense you brought up but in reference to the "ideal" reality of perfection through in enlightenment, which was possible in Kaballah (to become close to God through knowledge) and represented by Kadmon. Which is why Maruki's treasure is a torch and his actualization of his enlightenment is what allows him to awaken Adam Kadmon, who describes himself as the "source and destination" and "the light that will guide mankind". Allusions to the Kaballah's archetypical adam.
The argument for using the Ultimate Gate being built upon the premise that the levels of the unconscious are levels of transcendence just makes it useless as a justification, since it depends on something you haven't proven yet, and bringing it up as part of the core argument just turns the whole thing into circular reasoning because of that. Given what you are saying, I don't know why you even mentioned it in the first place.
I'm not sure why you guys latched onto it as some lynchpin argument. If I am being frank no one has really delved into the evidence and explained why the evidence isn't enough. It's really just been side winding around points by bring up the standards themselves and not really displaying why the actual evidence of this thread doesn't meet said things. The Gate seems to be the one thing that has actually been argued here, and it is being argued for a function it isn't serving.

So I think arguing the actual other points would be a much more efficient use of our time, as the Gate is once again, just the narrative means for displaying the transcendence involved with Kadath.
That doesn't matter. Again, higher-dimensional spaces are useless as reasoning if they don't refer to anything in the cosmology and only act as mathematical models. Unless, of course, you think the existence of ocean waves or dust particles in the air somehow proves that the Real World has infinite dimensions.
Yeh but once again, observation (and by extension cognition) is referenced in game by Stephen to be qualia. The CU being a spare where said "abstractions" actually take form based on the factors of human perception and understanding as stated by Morgana. It is literally the cosmology. I obviously can't pull up a scan of a reference to qualia space as a specific term, so if that's what is explicitly needed I will drop this last point.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping out with evaluating this Ultima.

Those in favor of proposed upgrades: Zencha9 (undecided about tiering), deonment (agrees to 1-C), Shizuka (agrees to 1-C), Shivashakti (agrees to abilities only so far), Infiniteday (unspecified to which end they agree with), HSTmaster (agrees to 1-C), Imaginebreaker777 (agrees to 1-C), Garchomp777 (agrees, seemingly, to 1-A), San-Kakarot (agrees to possibly 1-A), AxisPowerRanger (agrees to 1-C for now), EFITE (agrees to 1-A), rtxthegamer (agrees to ability additions only), Millyrockingbandit (agrees to ability additions only neutral to tiering), Akumanohissatsu (agrees to 1-C), BleedingPeach (agrees to 1-C, not opposed to low 1-A).

Neutrals: Hasty12345.

Those against the proposed upgrades: Ultima Reality, Crimsonstarfallen, Edwellken (agrees with sealing for Aegis), ned_the_outer_god, Planck69 (agrees with hax disagrees with tiering), Rikimarox2, emirp sumitpo, regidian, Setsuna_tenma (disagrees with tiering and NEP), Im_Blue.

Please let me know if I forgot someone or misinterpreted their current viewpoint.

Last edited:
Those in favor of proposed upgrades: Zencha9 (undecided about tiering), deonment (agrees to 1-C), Shizuka (agrees to 1-C), Shivashakti (agrees to abilities only so far), Infiniteday (unspecified to which end they agree with), HSTmaster (agrees to 1-C), Imaginebreaker777 (agrees to 1-C), Garchomp777 (agrees, seemingly, to 1-A), Dr._white (agrees to 1-A).

Neutrals: Hasty12345.

Those against the proposed upgrades: Ultima Reality, Crimsonstarfallen, Edwellken (agrees with sealing for Aegis), ned_the_outer_god, Planck69 (agrees with hax disagrees with tiering).

Please let me know if I forgot someone or misinterpreted their current viewpoint.
Erm, the op can't count their own vote, at least I don't think so.

Anyways, I agree with Ultima here.

The 1-C part is something I'm not against... Damn! What a way to say "I agree". If it was Low 1-A then I would have my doubts but in the end I would agree. 1-A... yeah, a big bet I'm not sure to make.

agree with ultima. I disagree on the velvet room being nonexistent. The vevlet room is an abstract realm not a nonexitent one. Existing as an abstract is not proof of nonexistent.

agree with ultima. I disagree on the velvet room being nonexistent. The vevlet room is an abstract realm not a nonexitent one. Existing as an abstract is not proof of nonexistent.
The velvet room is an abstract realm that only exists at certain points and whose state is completely dependant on the users subconscious manifestations. When not being materialized in such a way it exist in a state of non existence in an infinite void.

standards for non existent phys
1: Material Nonexistence: The lack of any conventional existence. Such a character will exist as something beyond the normal scope of the physical and metaphysical worlds, instead existing as an idea or other unconventional state. Such entities can be conceptualized by individuals, but do not exist in a physical or normal metaphysical form, such as a soul. In terms of binary, this would be a 0, where existence is 1 and nonexistence is 0.
1st bold: The velvet room exists in a void between mind and matter.
2nd bold: the velvet room is an abstract existence.
3rd bold: It exists unconventionally because its existence is tied to manifesting per a users subconscious as a means of guiding them, which when it is not, "exist" in an infinite void.

I mean the phantom thieves concept was erased and they entered the velvet room too. They should get NEP type 2 during the fight with yaldabaoth since humans couldn't perceive or remember them, before they reclaimed the hope of mankind

I mean the phantom thieves concept was erased and they entered the velvet room too. They should get NEP type 2 during the fight with yaldabaoth since humans couldn't perceive or remember them, before they reclaimed the hope of mankind
This too. It's not only descriptions, the thieves concept was erased from the physical/mental realities and Joker could spawn him and his mates to the Velvet Room. Multiple people have discussed that the feats/descriptions are actually NEP 2, I just don't know enough to say one way or the other.

This too. It's not only descriptions, the thieves concept was erased from the physical/mental realities and Joker could spawn him and his mates to the Velvet Room. Multiple people have discussed that the feats/descriptions are actually NEP 2, I just don't know enough to say one way or the other.
Memory a bit hazy, so pardon me, but did Yalda specifically delete their concept, or just from history and the memories of people?

The former could maybe get you NEP2, while the latter doesn't.

Memory a bit hazy, so pardon me, but did Yalda specifically delete their concept, or just from history and the memories of people?
Deleting something from the collective beliefs of humankind will lead to their concepts being erased. Not a chain reaction, since the collective unconscious is made of platonic archetypes

Persona already has concept/soul/info/mind manip for their moves, accepted since 2-B stuff. But yeah people didn't have a concept of the thieves until a small portion around them came to after they reclaimed their existence, and this was only due to Mona acting as a light to enlighten humanity.

Velvet Room is, indeed, NEP 2. Given that is, along with the CU, is a product of Cognition (Type 2 Concept), it stands to reason that the Velvet Room. This is further supported by Kaneko saying that Igor & Philemon don’t really “exist”, and maybe even completely fabricated by the protagonist.

Fitting enough, the exact place the Phantom Thieves go after being erased is the Velvet Room, outside of time and space, between binary systems of mind-matter, consciousness and subconsciousness, and an abstract existence as stated by Elizabeth.

That still doesn't really matter. Again, the concept itself being used doesn't mean you can pull details from external sources to justify any ratings, especially since, again, those specific statements are not in the verse, even though the ideas which they describe are. We really only concern ourselves with things that are in the text, and everything else is pretty much irrelevant, unless the series is just really extensive in its explanations and quotes all of the relevant paragraphs verbatim, like I said before. Similar arguments were rejected for plenty of other verses, and this case is no different.

Citation needed. The only thing I remember that's anywhere close to an explicit indication of that is Persona 2 making some vague references to the concepts of Maya and Brahman. Everything else just relates to humanity collectively having Subjective Reality, which is very much a staple of Shin Megami Tensei as a whole and not really something that necessarily relates to ontological transcendence. The latter is for you to prove, which you haven't, as far as I see.

Realms being accessible through dreams is not evidence of transcendence on its own. Twin Peaks and Lovecraft are Tier 1 for completely different reasoning, and both of them are cosmologies where transcendental spaces just to happen to be connected to dreams, so all of this is just missing the forest for the trees. Likewise, needing to be enlightened to enter the deeper parts of the Unconscious is also not necessarily evidence for transcendence unless otherwise indicated by the verse, and, so far, you haven't really proven that this is the case.

See above.
Due to most of what was stated in his last post.

Refuting Low 1-C.
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

EDIT: I don't know if deleting this would mean something. The best action to take is to apologize. So, I'm sorry, Planck... not even wanting to attack you in any manner, just wanting to do what PurpleEyesForTheWin (an abridger YouTuber) did on a... "Comical"? Whatever-thing he did with TMNT and Code Geass.

Last edited:
Back