• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Persona 3 Protagonist vs Squall Leonhart

All Persona magic comes from the soul, so if Squall can't steal her Personas, he can't steal their abilities either.

Overall, Squall has simply has a monumental AP advantage, meanwhile Kotone can decrease all of his stats, even if it's minor, boost herself to the point where it becomes hard to even scratch her, Repell/Null/Absorb/Evade Physical and the same for a majority of his other magic, outright nullify his AP, magic, and speed at the same time.

Decisive, but Kotone still takes this.

So is the consensus that this is a stomp or not? If so I'll switch to their later versions, if not I'll add whoevers votes.

Would Dispel make a difference? It nullifies all buffs and debuffs on the target.

Also, what about the Tonberry LV Down and Initiative abilities? Or those are considered gameplay mechanics?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but taking a look at the Shin Megami Tensei wiki (apologies for not having a better reference, but I really am unfamiliar with Persona), but the binds seem to fall into several forms of Power Nullificaiton, don't they? Aside the halving of stats they carry. Squall does resist power nullification of physical, magical, mental and spiritual kind, and they apparently ca be purified even though they can't be dispelled per se (if Purifying Rain, among other abilities, is a correct indication) which Squall can access with Esuna.

LV Down is an ability that reduces the base statistics of an enemy to just a fraction of what they are naturally by, as the name implies, reducing their level. While Initiative allows the user to always have the first move in battle regardless of agility, speed or other setup of the combatants involved. Though I am not entirely sure if these abilities are applicable outside an in-game battle.

It's fine, and yes, they are power nullification. Purifying Salt is just the name to dispell, I don't believe it is actually holy. The thing is, this is power nullification of the mind, soul, body, and magic, and I don't know if Squall has ever dealt of things with that potency. Even if so, Kotone could reduce your resistances to ailments iirc.

And Kotone can use Dekunda to reverse that.

The match has them starting at 4km apart, so Minako's more likely to respond to attacks with Reflection/Absorption/Nullification, and since this takes place on Gran Pulse, she'll be able to see and target him from the start.

Minako's hax should still work, since they can bypass his resistance via doubling as soulhax, which he doesn't resist. So any instant-death attacks would take out Squall if they hit.

Now that Kotone's profile has been updated, we can now continue this match up. Squall's timestop is now completely useless as all Persona users now resist time manipulation, including time stop. She also has a new wincon, Vorpal Blade, which warps space and negates durability.

At this point it's looking pretty decisive for Minako, unless Squall has a reliable wincon that he pulls out relatively quickly.

There's always the chance that Minako could choose to tank a hit and get one-shot, but she's not going to do it without a damn good reason. Otherwise, she'll be reflecting/nulling his physical strikes with Tetrakarn/Null Phys, and both her death-hax and Vorpal Blade are pretty commonly-used moves in her arsenal, so she'll use them fairly early in the fight.

Actually, if Minako decides to just summon a large Persona (say, Kohryu) and have it shield her with its body, Squall flat-out can't hurt her since Shadow-Invulnerability is a thing now. Also, can't Minako just fly out of his range by riding her Personas? I honestly forgot that's totally a thing Persona-users can do.

I'll retract my vote for now, not necessarily because I disagree with the reasoning for Minako taking this, but because there's yet to be any response on what Squall could do here from anyone knowledgeable on FF.

Hmm... while I still have some doubts how Minako's debuffs and Squall's magic would correlate, Squall's lack of Soul Resistance is a major hole in his abilities, which does translate into a big disadvantage into a fighter that weaponizes hers and affects directly others'.

Gonna go with Minako on this one.

Is her name Minako or Kotone? Is it kinda like Ren's case where he was called Akira in the manga?

No. We only added the Shadows/Personas passively warping space-time around them. Vorpal Blade is in General Revisions.

Back