• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Percy Jackson Gods Revision

Kepekley23

VS Battles
Retired
Going straight to the point.

The Percy Jackson Gods were upgraded to High 4-C via being said to have created constellations in the past. However, this ignores the verse's cosmology, which is based on a "reality is what you think it is" system. The Ancient Greeks used to believe the Earth was flat back then, with the sky and stars being capped in a dome right above the Earth, which means the feat is nowhere near tier 4.

After reality changed to the Round Earth model to suit's people beliefs, we never saw them doing stuff like this again, aside from Artemis's feat.

As explained by Apollo:

> But how does it work?" Nico asked. "I thought the sun was a big fiery ball of gas!"

> Apollo chuckled and ruffled Nico's hair. "That rumor probably got started because Artemis used to call me a big fiery ball of gas. Seriously, kid, it depends on whether you're talking astronomy or philosophy. You want to talk astronomy? Bah, what fun is that? You want to talk about how humans think about the sun? Ah, now that's more interesting. They've got a lot riding on the sun… er, so to speak. It keeps them warm, grows their crops, powers engines, makes everything look, well, sunnier. This chariot is built out of human dreams about the sun, kid. It's as old as Western Civilization. Every day, it drives across the sky from east to west, lighting up all those puny little mortal lives. The chariot is a manifestation of the sun's power, the way mortals perceive it. Make sense?"

Also, that supporting feat of Zeus becoming the planet Jupiter is an obvious embellishment. Apollo doesn't literally turn into the Sun while driving the Sun Chariot.

"Supernova" just means a star exploding. It's Percy borrowing a term from the modern world.

Plus, Annabeth's sky feat is already using the Flat Earth model of things (which I find wrong because of reality flip), so the PJO profiles are really a ragtag of Schrodinger's Riordan now.

Both round and flat.

BTW, how come annatbeths is a Dura feat instead of a lifting strenght one? She took the burden before the sky could properly fall, and that should only be lifting strenght.

Kepekley23 said:
Plus, Annabeth's sky feat is already using the Flat Earth model of things (which I find wrong because of reality flip), so the PJO profiles are really a ragtag of Schrodinger's Riordan now.

Both round and flat.
I didn't know about the usage of the Flat Earth usage for that feat, but didn't you yourself say that the reality changes on how you look at it, making it actually Scheoedinger's Riordan?

Also, doesn't it assume that Luke was standing? He wasn't.

But yeah, that should get a crt of its own.

As for what Kep said, I have to agree with that, makes the most sense.

...That's the point. It is wrong because at that point the reality was based on the Round Earth model, so the weight would be considerably lower.

The real cal howard said:
I didn't know about the usage of the Flat Earth usage for that feat, but didn't you yourself say that the reality changes on how you look at it, making it actually Scheoedinger's Riordan?
Pretty sure his point is that humans view it as not flat, so it isn't anymore.

Personally, I think the cosmology should just be what it actually is in modern times. Literally no one in the series, mortal or otherwise, sees the Earth as flat, and Apollo himself, when he's the protagonist, says that the astronomical reason for the sun moving across the sky is legit, as sometimes he does it, sometimes Ra does it, and sometimes gravity does it.

The ancient cosmology was true back when people believed in it. Now that their belief has shifted, the universe has changed to acommodate.

Percy himself says it in Percy Jackson: Greek Gods.

@Yobo

"How could an immortal being get senile in the first place? No one had given me a satisfactory answer. Amos and Carter looked at Bast, which made sense, as she was the only Egyptian god present. She frowned at her uneaten Fancy Feast.

"Ra is the god of the sun. In olden times, he aged as the day aged, then sailed through the Duat on his boat each night and was reborn with the sunrise each morning."

"But the sun isn t reborn, I put in. It s just the rotation of the earth"

"Sadie, Bast warned."

"Right, right. Myth and science were both true simply diffferent versions of the same reality, blah, blah. I d heard that lecture a hundred times, and I didn t want to hear it again."

Plus, Hades is literally said to be located 2,000 miles beneath the Earth, and the entrance to Tartarus extends to 70,000 kilometers down the Earth despite being physically below it.

Downgrade tier 4 because it is a feat from back when the cosmology was different and the stars were under a dome above the Earth (Percy says it himself).

Percy Jackson: Greek Gods, dude. Percy states Chaos created a flat earth with a dome above it and beneath it. And there are still traces of this even in the modern world, since Hades is stated to be 2,000 miles below the Earth, and it leads directly to the entrance to Tartarus, which extends 70,000km.

"FYI: Rumor has it that Zeus and Callisto secretly hang out when he's in his Roman form. He hides in the planet Jupiter—or maybe he becomes the planet Jupiter—and she revolves around him in the nearby moon named after her. Watch for a supernova in that quadrant of the sky when Hera discovers their trysts."

Excerpt From From Percy Jackson: Camp Half-Blood Confidential Rick Riordan https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/from-percy-jackson-camp-half-blood-confidential/id1185021217?mt=11 This material may be protected by copyright.

Legit, the Earth is round and flat at the same time in Percy Jackson. The cosmology is wonky like that.

Also the narration is from Percy, a guy who knows the Earth is round, and it mentions Jupiter's natural sattelites, and supernovas, things that doesn't exist in the Greek Cosmology.

I'll check again, but Greek Gods has stuff implying the gods have Type 4 acausality and regularly contradicts main canon, though that may just be the whole inconsistency thing.

Not really, the Earth in modern PJO is pretty explicitly round, as stated by Apollo. Mortals change their view and reality with it.

Greek Gods Percy explicitly stated the Old Earth was flat, with lots of residual evidence even in the modern world of that having once been a thing (Underworld). So the gods weren't tier 4 back then.

Keep in mind that the quote I just posted isn't from the past. It's an occasional thing that happens today, when the cosmology is the hodgepodge we have in the PJO universe today.

> It's an occasional thing that happens today

No such thing is said. It mentions Callisto, an old lover of Zeus.

Back