• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overwatch AP/Dura upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Hammond's origin story short, he survives a fall from space while inside Wrecking Ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEnC_N06Uxc

Now since the ball is a modified space pod, I think it's reasonable to assume that it has the mass of a real space pod, which are built to be very durable. The real life Apollo 11 Module weighs 5,900 kg and it seems to be roughly the same size as Hammond's pod.

https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/apollo-to-the-moon/online/apollo-11/about-the-spacecraft.cfm

Now since he fell from space, it should mean his reentry speed is about 7,823 m/s (this is typical reentry speed). A 5,900 kg mass travelling at this speed should impact Earth with an energy magnitude of 180,538,020,550 joules (1.805 x 10^11 joules). This is within City Block level, or 8-B.

Also Hammond himself should be physically very durable from this. He shouldn't be below average human physically. Any normal person would undoubtably die from a crash like this.

Thoughts?

I don't know about the feat itself, but I just want to say that the math is correct, assuming you calculated the KE (which pretty obviously seems to be the case)

You can ask here for a calculation: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/1955985

The sphere where Hammand was in is barely larger than him, it definitively do not weights 5.9 tons. I made a rought calc in one blog, althjough it has unaccurate since it didn't use scaling.

In-game, it seems pretty big. And Hammond himself is an abnormally large hamster.

In any case, his pod only has to weigh about 1505 kg for this to be 8-B level.

The only thing that crashed to earth was the tiny hamster-sized pod, the pod in-game is what Hammond made the pod into by adding multiple layers of armor to it and increasing its size drastically

Would it be fair to say it likely weighs about as much as an actual wrecking ball of its size? Given how it functions, and how durable it is. Any normal metal capsule that size would shatter to pieces falling from orbit, but Hammond's pod remained mostly in 1 piece. It probably has the density of an actual wrecking ball.

But it's still durable enough to fall from space and remain mostly intact. It only needs to weigh 1505 kg for an upgrade, and an actual wrecking ball that size would weigh more.

I'm 90% sure re-entry pods in real life don't have 8-B durability by virtue of surviving re-entry, so 8-B seems pretty off.

@Dargoo Most re-entry pods have parachutes and other means of slowing down and usually land in the ocean to somewhat cushion the impact

Hammond's pod just crashed into australia with nothing slowing it down

Ah.

Another issue: The escape pod isn't much bigger than Hammond himself, why should it weigh as much as an actual re-entry pod?

It shouldnt, the calc assumes the pod that tanked the feat is Hammond's massive mech that he made after crash landing rather than the small pod that actually landed in the video. The result definitely isnt 8-B.

Wouldn't the pod slow down to terminal velocity before it impacted?

Qawsedf234 said:
Wouldn't the pod slow down to terminal velocity before it impacted?
I'm not entirely sure if it would be affected by air resistance enough to where it would stop accelerating altogether at a point and maintain speed, although I could be very wrong.

Honestly, I Think when Hammond made his other pod, It is technically an upgrade over the other. so that would add to the original. Plus his new pod appears to be moving at terminal velocity when spinning as it catches fire

WeeklyBattles said:
The feat still needs to be calculated
Yeah, we just need to find the main ball's size to determine the estimated mass and calculate that with it's velocity when spinning which catches fire

CNBA3 said:
Honestly, I Think when Hammond made his other pod, It is technically an upgrade over the other. so that would add to the original. Plus his new pod appears to be moving at terminal velocity when spinning as it catches fire
The new pod is literally the old pod with a massive amount of armor on it, his cinematic showed him building his new pod over his old pod

Wrecking Ball
Hammond is 40 cm tall

40 cm / 151 px = 0.26 cm/px

Wrecking Ball is 606 px in diameter, 303 in radius

303 x 0.26 = 80.26 cm

Volume of Wrecking Ball is 2.17e+6 cm^3

Seeing as his mech is made mostly of stuff from Junkertown, we'll use steel as a safe density (Subject to change)

Density of Steel = 7.8 g/cm^3

2.17e+6 x 7.8 = 16926000 g or 16926 kg

The mech is kinda hollow, soooo we'll use 80% hollowness to be safe, so 13540.8 kg

Minimum speed to set on fire from moving is 1715 m/s

1/2m x v^2 = 1/2 (13540.8) x 1715^2 = 19913269740 joules

4.7 tons of TNT

Large Building level

Consistent

You need to post that in a blog and ask for an evaluation though.

I think that the calculation result can be used, yes, but you need to mention within the blog that Aiden accepted it.

So is there anything left to do here, or should we close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back