• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

(Halo) UNSC Infinity Main Gun upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qawsedf234

VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
Currently the UNSC Infinity's Super MACs are rated as:
Island level+ with main MAC guns (Refer "Armaments" section. On the highest power setting, fired projectiles can have Kinetic Energy of roughly 2.16e+20 Joules)
"Super" Magnetic Accelerator Cannon: The Infinity is the first UNSC warship to be equipped with this kind of powerful MAC gun. She is armed with four of these (two bow and two flank) and each can fire a 27 metre diameter 3,000 tonne ultra-dense projectile (usually made of tungsten or tungsten carbide or ferric-tungsten with a depleted uranium core) at velocities of up to 4% the speed of light on the highest power setting. A single shot at full power can outright destroy a fully shielded CAS-class Assault Carrier and carve out terrestrial craters several miles wide. Shots in atmosphere can generate shockwaves powerful enough to knock away several hundred metre long ships which are within a couple of kilometres of the projectile's flight path.
However they should be higher.

Halo: Shadows of Reach has the following statement on page 240:
They held their positions and launched another pair of MAC rounds to prevent the Banished cruiser from escaping by dropping parallel to Reach. Their shields went down, and the enemy plasma began to sink into their bow armor, launching white sprays of molten titanium into space.
The bridge lights flickered as the Infinity fired its first MAC, launching a three-thousand-ton slug toward the Banished cruiser at a quarter the speed of light. Halsey didn’t even see the round strike. In one instant the cruiser was still there, a dark mass of nanolaminate hull being pushed along by the blue ovals of its repulsor engine drives, and the next it was a ball of white glitter, expanding across the entire viewport.
Then the white ball began to disperse and slide across the viewport as the Infinity began the pursuit of its next kill.
3,000 Tons at 0.25c is 8.4258298006577E+21 Joules or Low 6-B.

Consider the UNSC Infinity has four Super MACs, it should be Low 6-B with one Super MAC and 6-B with a full volley.

What are your thoughts on the change?

I'm fine with this, though one question, do we consider the infinity SMACs superior to those of the ODPs?

I'm fine with this, though one question, do we consider the infinity SMACs superior to those of the ODPs?
Yeah, since the UNSC Infinity is made using Forerunner Technology which isn't present in other UNSC weaponry to the best of my knowledge. Which is why it would be so much more powerful than previous Super MACs.

(it's actually 8.702e21 Joules, or 2.080 Teratons. slightly higher due to relativistic nonsense.)

Well, what we know is that the infinity's slipspace engine is the most noticeable major Forerunner technology addition I don't recall anything to indicate that the SMACS are enhanced by such technology, although they are ultimately more powerful because the ODP were said to be unable to do anything against the didact's ship, while the infinity's were able to break through its defenses and open a deep hole (I don't remember exactly how much) through a large part of the ship.

Yeah, since the UNSC Infinity is made using Forerunner Technology which isn't present in other UNSC weaponry to the best of my knowledge. Which is why it would be so much more powerful than previous Super MACs.
Technically that’s just the engines, there’s no evidence the other systems are enhanced by Forerunner stuff

Also I think one of the novels has something worth calcing for the Spirit of Fire (it’s the one with an Elite in rags on the cover and it’s a sequel to Wars 2)

The recent 0.25c velocity I remember someone bringing up in the past, this is fine.

Its been two days and everyone's in agreement, so I've updated the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back