• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather hear the answer from someone else, since you're the one trying to get it approved. But if that's the case I'm neutral

I'd rather hear the answer from someone else, since you're the one trying to get it approved. But if that's the case I'm neutral
I don't think suiryu scaling to Garou creates any inconsistencies, as not many characters scale to suiryu, I'm just iffy on the method of scaling here.

Last edited:
It indeed is not.

Anyway I still think the suiryu garou scaling is very iffy and weird

I think it was because of the fact that ONE helped with the production of the OVAs, but I dunno if that's enough to solidify them as canon

I'm not too sure Games and Rivals even fits into the timeline.

Saitama and Genos are familiar with King, so this happens after #39.
Garou attacked the Hero Association in #40 and has since been identified as a threat by the Association, hence why Tanktop Master recognized him.
This, of course, happens before the Super Fight Tournament, because Suiryu is not hospitalized.

The problem is: #39 and #40 happen concurrently. At the same time Saitama and King are discussing King's fraudulent past in his apartment, Sitch was holding a meeting at the Hero Association HQ with the criminals in which Garou slaughtered everybody. That would mean that Garou was a wanted criminal by the time of the OVA, and going out into the public surrounded by hundreds of people would automatically reveal his identity, but nobody seems to acknowledge the fact that Garou is a dangerous criminal who battled with the Hero Association and nearly murdered several hundred other criminals.

But hey, ONE supervised the production of the OVA, so I must be wrong, and there must be an answer to all of this.

Also, I know you sorta already addressed it in the OP—it was wrong, but Garou was not going all out. I know you said he was shouting and getting all aggressive, even using his technique (even though that is just a visualization of their in-game fight; Garou has no reason to use Water Stream Rocking Smash Fist on a video game, especially considering he initially outright refused to use it in a life-or-death encounter with Tanktop Master, but whatever), but that does not mean a whole lot. Right before his controller bugged out, he was all like, "Let's kick it up a notch", which seems to suggest that he was not going at full steam, which makes sense, 'tis a video game. Of course, this is not to say that Suiryu was not also holding back...

But Garou was definitely holding back, so I don't think it's safe to scale Suiryu to him regardless of whether the OVA is canonical or not.
At best, he would get a "[His rating], possibly [Garou's rating]".

To me these OVAs are starting to sound less like canonical episodes and more like "What-if" non-canon side stories.

I think they could be usable as supporting evidence but overall I don't really see bothering with them as necessary.

Thank you to everybody who are helping out here.

What are the conclusions so far of this discussion?

Majority disagree with Suiryu scaling to Garou and Sonic's multipliers it seems. Evyerthing else is still being discussed

Huh, fair point, I didn't notice that we also need to take into account about continuity errors. And to add salt to the wound, Genos' design is not reminiscent of his design when they first met King, as it is his design from season 1, when logically, he should be in his G4 design at the time.

And also, in the OVA where Genos gets a personality switch, he is still in his season 1 body, when he should be in his G4 design as that was when Saitama met Fubuki.
That’s more of an art inconsistency than something that actually proves they’re not canon.

Perhaps the events of the OVA are not canonical, but specifically the behavior and capabilities of the characters are canonical.

No? If that were the case, we'd be making cases for 5-B Saitama. The feats are not canonical, so therefore we don't use them.
If anime were canon. But we're talking about OVA. The anime is written entirely from the manga. And if there is any disagreement with the manga, then of course we choose the manga. But OVA has its own storyline.

Point still stands, the feat happends in a non-canonical event, why would it be canon? A lot of the OVAs do not really fit into the timeline.

Because Wang won't just make the characters stronger than they are or add another trait to them just because it's not canon.

The capabilities of the character are exactly the same until we are proven otherwise.

Because Wang won't just make the characters stronger than they are or add another trait to them just because it's not canon.

The capabilities of the character are exactly the same until we are proven otherwise.
No? Again using the anime comparison, Saitama would be planet level since ONE supposedly approved of that dialogue.

We don't use events that don't happen in the main source for feats. Same reason why we don't use the redraws. Neither happen in the current canon.

No? Again using the anime comparison, Saitama would be planet level since ONE supposedly approved of that dialogue.

We don't use events that don't happen in the main source for feats. Same reason why we don't use the redraws. Neither happen in the current canon.
What about the VGS?

Is this good justification? From an interview with the writer of the OVAs. He says the OVAs are based off ONE's ideas and he approves them.

Being based off doesn't mean they go into the timeline. And "based off" isn't exactly synonymous with copy and paste.

Honestly I kinda consider the OVAs as what-ifs. What's the site policy on using "what-ifs" if they're consigned by the author?

Why do we care so much? We're having this whole discussion over speed-scaling a single character who's probably gonna get better scaling in the future. Do we really have to worry so much about side material?

Well I think there's other stuff in the OVAs that can potentially be used. I don't particularly care about the stuff brought up here.

Ok but canoncity aside. It seems majority disagree with Suiryu scaling to Garou in speed. And it's not like this matters that much as both will "At least High-Hypersonic" anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back