• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the One Piece verse, the mind/heart (kokoro) is linked to what is called "spirit" (Kihaku); spirits are the essence of someone's soul, manifesting in one's emotions, consciousness, mental strength, convictions and fighting power; the soul or "life" is what houses all these substances. Each person has a second soul, which is called: "shadow"; for being an soul-like substance, shadows carry people's personality, fighting power and memories, having a personal consciousness (however identical to its original bearer), just like the soul.

With this clarified, we can conclude that the mental effects that a shadow demonstrates should also apply to its original bearer, because both have the same spirit (will, personality, emotions and so on); in other words, the metaphysical connections of the shadow and the body are identical, in fact, reflections. King Tempest clarified in this thread that there is a range of abilities linked to willpower alone, and that this is a scalable thing between characters.

Having explained this in detail, I will proceed to my propositions.

1. Mind Control Resistance via Willpower.

Has been stated that shadows of powerful people are generally difficult to control, and Moriah himself assumes that subjecting Oars to his mind control was not possible before time enough for Luffy's strong persona stops it's influences into it naturally (although the control has worked over time, it usually doesn't, but a shadow immediately submits to the supremacy of Moriah's orders; seen the zombies' reaction as categorically stating: “there has never been a zombie like this before”, implying directly some form of resistance), and we see that thanks to Luffy's vivid will, contained within his shadow, Oars primarily rebelled himself against Moria's pact. Therefore, we deduced that just as Luffy's shadow could resist the effects of Moria's mental control, even in a limited way, Luffy himself could resist Mind Control as well (because of the same spirit in them both).

However, this shouldn't be restricted to Luffy alone, as it is described about powerful people being less susceptible to Moria's absolute obedience and stuff. Giving more scope to this, we see that strong emotions and serious and powerful convictions can also nullify influences on the mind; Sanji's conviction about "not attacking women" carried over to his zombie, and it was so strong inside him that not even Moriah's mental orders could go against it; we also have the example of Cindry; when the memories of her original soul were coming back and influencing her, she was able to fight against Mind Control several times; stepping out of Moriah a little (for people don't think this is a personal weakness), we see that an East Blue Luffy, who was in the process of his convictions and powers was already able to fight against Mind Control in order to help his friends.

2. Body Control via Willpower.

Kumadori explain that the self-control of the own conscience grants humans a mastery over every faculty of the human body.

We see the application of body control over users of haki (a spiritual energy that takes a lot of training and mental strengthening to master) a lot: Zoro (a haki user and skilled fighter with mental strength) was able to change his muscles mass at will; Rob Lucci (a haki user) dominated Seimei Kikan; Eustass Kidd (a haki user) showed ability to control his own body with supernatural digestion; Boa Sandersonia (a haki user) showed ability to change the shape of her hair at will; Lao G (an expert fighter with spiritual strength powerful enough to pull his own soul into his body) showed the ability to vastly alter his body; Vergo (a haki user) could also alter his body greatly; Kaku (a haki user) also controlled his body structure in many ways.

Well, every haki user or characters who possesses great mental power should have the inner ability (even if unknown to the user in question) to alter their body in some way.

3. Resistance to Soul Manipulation via Willpower.

Spiritual energy is contained within one's soul/life; this energy is represented by the fighting power or the Haki itself (In fact, Haki is often mentioned as referring to one's power state). The idea of exist a "power ranking" for souls and metaphysical energy is pretty much constant in the series. Brook is the first to establish that "weak souls" could not withstand the power of his own Soul. Later, Brook himself is overwhelmed by the power of Big Mom's soul, and as a result, the absorption effects of his Soul Manipulation prove ineffective against her soul — Big Mom doesn't attribute Brook's inability to absorb her soul to some characteristics of her Devil Fruit, but to her soul being in “another level”. As souls are homologous to shadows, we can say that souls themselves have no power, but are charged with power, by the spirit of the user being inside of it.

Zoro has also been in a similar situation with his sword Enma, known for absorbing Haki from its users. Not that Haki and Soul are the same thing (although they are intrinsically connected), but because Haki is a metaphysical energy such as the manifestations of the soul. Zoro even says that losing his Haki would be equivalent to losing his life, which is a synonym for soul. But what I mean is that Zoro could resist Enma's spiritual absorption, just like Big Mom could resist Brook's soul absorption due to a over high spirit level (Zoro was releasing more strength than usual to be able to contain Enma's absorption).

Concluding , we see that the characters of One Piece progress not only physically, but also in mental and spiritual proportions, in such a way that the mind, when fully dominated, rules completely over the physical side.

Such applications should be added to those who wield haki (mainly Haoshoku Haki) and the ones who prove to have great willpower.

He actually did it.

Since I saw this beforehand, I'll agree, but this is a heavy revision and you'll need many more staff to accept this
Yeah, as far as I know I am not allowed to tag them here, right? I will call them on their wall soon.

Well, every haki user or characters who possesses great mental power should have the inner ability (even if unknown to the user in question) to alter their body in some way.

I don't see why we would just hand this power out to anyone with "great mental power" instead of just giving it to the characters who actually have feats of doing it.

Just because Vergo has been shown to use full-body Haki and buff himself up doesn't mean we need to assume that someone like Law can do it too.

Eustass Kidd (a haki user) showed ability to control his own body with supernatural digestion

I don't see anything implying Haki or "great mental power" was involved in this.

I don't see why we would just hand this power out to anyone with "great mental power" instead of just giving it to the characters who actually have feats of doing it.
I just thought it over and I think that instead of giving something that should be applied to everyone with only the potential for that power, we should apply it to those who have in fact reach that potency. It's basically about every observation haki user being able to see the future like Katakuri potentially, but not objectively and instantly. Forgive me, you are legitimately correct. However, I don't see this objection being applied to spiritual power itself, as both act passively as the user grown physically (Rayleigh says this directly).

I don't see anything implying Haki or "great mental power" was involved in this.
However, it can be deduced from earlier propositions and evidence already established in the series. Haki itself is a great mental power, people with great mental powers can alter every faculty of the body, people with haki should be capable of alter their own body in some form – Kidd did it and he has haki, so he certainly did it for his spiritual power, as Kumadori states.

However, it can be deduced from earlier propositions and evidence already established in the series. Haki itself is a great mental power, people with great mental powers can alter every faculty of the body, people with haki should be capable of alter their own body in some form – Kidd did it and he has haki, so he certainly did it for his spiritual power, as Kumadori states.
Agree with this, if it's something already established in the verse there isn't really any problem giving it to characters who showcased it in some way.

Tho i think some characters, like Kid for example, should only get a limited version as he only has a single application that isn't even combat related, while others like Sander and Kaku have full versions.

This is probably why CP9 has Haki

I agree with everything, but:

Eustass Kidd (a haki user) showed ability to control his own body with supernatural digestion;
Because that scene really felt like it was for comedic effect, rather than body control. Chopper in Whole cake also turned fat, then was back to normal in very little time- I wouldn't take that as a body control feat as much as it's just their unnatural digestion/high metabolism. (Nami also made a comment about Luffy burning energy extremely fast during whole cake, so it could be that Kidd does that as well)

What do you think should be done here, Damage and KingTempest?

Luffy himself could resist Mind Control as well (because of the same spirit in them both).

One potential problem with this if that Luffy's shadow did instantly obey Moria.

It was the Oars zombie that resisted Morai's commands for a while but I don't see that translating over to Luffy himself because Moria's ability only works on commanding shadow-infused zombies to begin with.

So unless we see other cases of Resistance to Mind Control, I don't think it's a solid ability to grant to multiple characters.

What do you think should be done here, Damage and KingTempest?

The Body Control should just be applied to the characters who have shown that ability so far, which I'm pretty sure we do.

While she doesn't attribute it specifically to her Devil Fruit, it isn't ruled out that the reason why her soul is on another level is because she's the user of the Soul-Soul fruit.

One potential problem with this if that Luffy's shadow did instantly obey Moria.
After the pact was made and the shadow was given a body to manifest its attributes, it instantly disobeyed.

It was the Oars zombie that resisted Morai's commands for a while but I don't see that translating over to Luffy himself because Moria's ability only works on commanding shadow-infused zombies to begin with.
When Oars disobeyed Moria he had Luffy's shadow infused into him. Moriah himself implies that Oars disobeyed because of Luffy's will left on him.

So unless we see other cases of Resistance to Mind Control, I don't think it's a solid ability to grant to multiple characters.
I gave more than one example, Cindry and Sanji also showed the ability to disobey Moria. BoS Luffy specifically, in another context also resists mental effects to some extent. there's even more evidence: highly trained minks can strengthen their minds to the point where they master Suulong Mode, which naturally leaves them out of control; Chopper also showed this ability after the timeskip, and we know he didn't change his Rumble Balls but became more powerful on his own. Just Rayleigh's explicit statement about physical power progress being equivalent on spiritual in effects shouldn't leave much doubt about mental resistance being something applicable to everyone who is enough powerful to it.

While she doesn't attribute it specifically to her Devil Fruit, it isn't ruled out that the reason why her soul is on another level is because she's the user of the Soul-Soul fruit.
Maybe but I already demonstrated that there are levels/rankings for metaphysical concepts, from haki to soul, or what is the reason for Luffy's soul creating one of the most powerful homies for Big Mom? if it's not because his soul is on a totally different level from the others?

Okay. If somebody explains what is suggested here in an easy to understand manner, I can ask for further input.

Okay. If somebody explains what is suggested here in an easy to understand manner, I can ask for further input.
Forgive me, but what was not possible to understand? The spirit is manifested through emotions, memories, personality, beliefs, and mental power (which grows in proportion to physical strength), all these metaphysical things are part of the spirit.

Through spiritual aspects (willpower and pure spiritual/mental power in the cases listed), characters have demonstrated casually the ability to resist influences in the mind, soul and change their bodies.

Spiritual abilities are shared by all living beings, they are universal because it comes from a common source with everyone who has life (the spirit and its manifestations); an example to clarify better: through the Straw Hats' beliefs, a spiritual being was created as the guardion and embodiment of the Going Merry; even unconsciously. Apart from akuma no mi and characteristics unique to the body of some individuals, all powers that come from metaphysical sources should be accessible to every being – and this is strengthened by the idea that Haki is also spiritual and accessible to everyone.

Forgive me, but what was not possible to understand? The spirit is manifested through emotions, memories, personality, beliefs, and mental power (which grows in proportion to physical strength), all these metaphysical things are part of the spirit.

Through spiritual aspects (willpower and pure spiritual/mental power in the cases listed), characters have demonstrated casually the ability to resist influences in the mind, soul and change their bodies.

Spiritual abilities are shared by all living beings, they are universal because it comes from a common source with everyone who has life (the spirit and its manifestations); an example to clarify better: through the Straw Hats' beliefs, a spiritual being was created as the guardion and embodiment of the Going Merry; even unconsciously. Apart from akuma no mi and characteristics unique to the body of some individuals, all powers that come from metaphysical sources should be accessible to every being – and this is strengthened by the idea that Haki is also spiritual and accessible to everyone.
Ant just wants a TLDR since the OP is... pretty big

all powers that come from metaphysical sources should be accessible to every being – and this is strengthened by the idea that Haki is also spiritual and accessible to everyone.

This is the bit that has me being doubtful. Because it's a lot simpler just to assign abilities to characters who have displayed them or been stated to have them, rather than assume that everyone who has the potential to do these things automatically gets the ability on their profile.

So have you reached some conclusions here then?

Fresh off the bat

All Haoshoku Haki users intermediate and above
Those without it that showcase great willpower like Zoro
People who resist Haoshoku Haki completely
That seems okay, though would Thriller Bark Luffy get these resistances given his willpower along with Moria (could take in 1000 shadows while regular people can take in 2 or 3)

How the write up for the resistance description going to be when implemented onto the profile

That seems okay, though would Thriller Bark Luffy get these resistances given his willpower along with Moria (could take in 1000 shadows while regular people can take in 2 or 3)

How the write up for the resistance description going to be when implemented onto the profile
Yeah Luffy gets it as well

The write up... I'm not too sure

Perhaps resistance against Soul Manipulation can be applied to characters around WCI Luffy's level by Big Mom claiming his soul would give her one of her most powerful homies?

I also think Sanji must have limited resistance against mind control (in his Thriller Bark key) as his zombie only showed disobedience towards hitting a woman. However, mental resistance itself must be applied to all those who demonstrate proficiency in some form of haki (As haki is a mental power that requires a high level of mental strength to master) and performed will feats equivalent to TB Luffy (Moriah for example).

What was accepted by our staff above can probably be applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back