• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being an adaptation of the manga does not make something inherently canon.

If I draw fanart of a scene in the One Piece manga, that doesn't make my drawing secondary canon just because it's an adaptation of the existing work.

Being an adaptation of the manga does not make something inherently canon.

If I draw fanart of a scene in the One Piece manga, that doesn't make my drawing secondary canon just because it's an adaptation of the existing work.
You're a random fan with no connection to the mangaka or the organization that produced the series.

This is somebody who blatantly worked with the series for the One Piece cover comic project in order to make this, had it published by the same group as the original series, and who had this to say about the series
"I'd love to see Zoro drawn by Boichi."
According to the rumors, this remark from Eiichiro Oda was the origin of the "One Piece Cover Comic Project", which consisted of recreating certain chapters of One Piece by different authors.
After having submitted my storyboards, I spent my time full of anxiety at the thought that I ruined the original series.
Against all odds, Mr. Oda made the following remark:
"I'd love to see Ace in full combat drawn by Boichi."
Then:
"I'd also love to see a sexy Nami drawn by Boichi."
The fact that Mr. Oda gave such an opportunity to a young artist such as myself, shows how much interest he shows to the new generation and the future of the Jump magazine.

Definitely, his generosity is unfathomable. I don't have the words to express my gratitude.
Advertised in their magazine, showcased on their official website, and noted as official work.

You are a random fan.
This is an official piece of work for a project that even has the original mangaka's name on the damn title page.
6d80fca29ede446759da7bf81c4a1b1e.webp

Not the same

An official piece of fanart is still fanart.

The inclusion of a shot of the planet and Moon from space should not be considered the best option to use just because we don't happen to have one in the original manga yet.

According to our canon page:

So for most manga series, that means the original manga is canonical, while the anime is not (since the anime is simply an adaptation of the manga made by others).

Even most anime series are considered non-canonical as they are "simply an adaptation of the manga made by others". That is what Boichi's one-shot would fall under too. So there inherently needs to be more basis for it being canonical than it being an official adaptation.

Also, just in case this one-shot is being considered as tertiary canon either:

Entirely new feats of tertiary canon, like for example new abilities, should be disregarded. Details added to existing fight scenes, such as damage caused to the surroundings, can be accepted for text based media like books.

While it is not a "feat", this is an entirely new scene. I believe that it should be disregarded.

You missed this part literally directly above your second source
In addition a tertiary canon will be allowed. The tertiary canon consists of official adaptations not overseen by the author, which do not modify or contradict source material. When other source materials give different versions of the same feat, and by that contradict the tertiary canon in the depiction of the feat, the others take precedence. And here as well, if the feat is correctly depicted over multiple canons any of these can be used to judge the feat. Should by judging the feat through primary or secondary canon a different result be reached than for tertiary canon the result of primary or secondary canon will have priority.
Oh, and directly below
Any changes based on tertiary canon will only be accepted if they are not contradicted by any instances of another canon, with regards to either the character power-scale, or logical inconsistencies (and plot holes).

And specifically your statement notes feats. This is just a showing of the world.

There's a difference between putting "events that didn't happen" and "showing where it happened". This is a scan of the planet, not the scan of somebody making an explosion not in the manga

On top of that, nobody's talking about the anime, so that doesn't matter

Last edited:
If the canon shows the moon in any different position in the future we can easily change this, Damage. It's not like it'll override the main canon if it contradicts it later, it's just a support until further notice.
But for now a canon redraw from another artist is the best we got. I'm pretty sure the author would've told him to take that out if there was anything missing or didn't need showing (such as the idea of there being 7, or something)

...?

Original issue was that the first one wasn't fit to scale, which was fair.

Then we removed the first one and got an actual outer space shot, which Arc ended up being fine with,

You're just against using that scan I'm assuming?

...?

Original issue was that the first one wasn't fit to scale, which was fair.

Then we removed the first one and got an actual outer space shot, which Arc ended up being fine with,

You're just against using that scan I'm assuming?
I have a flight to catch so I will get back to you.

Aight finally got some time on my hands.

Put me down for neutral on the new scan being used. I don't know exactly how to count Boichi doing his thing in this specific occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back