• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece - Ace's Drum Island Calc Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
I believe that we should remove this calculation for Ace passively heating up during the Drum Island arc from the verse page.

For context of the feat, Ace visited Drum Island a week before the Straw Hats arrived there; it was remarked by one of the citizens to be a strange day as it didn't snow. Drum Island is an almost perpetually snowy country; every time we see it, it is covered in thick snow.

The calc essentially uses a method of "If the normal temperature of Drum Island as being -50 degrees Celsius, then since it didn't snow the temperature of the island must have been heated up to the boiling point of water since the snow in the air vaporized if it didn't fall as rain."

So the entire volume of atmosphere of Drum Island up to a height of 5000 meters (minus the volumes of the mountains in it) is being assumed to have increased by 150 degrees Celsius.

I think this method is exceedingly generous for a couple reasons.

First, in the flashback when we see Ace arrive in Drum Island, there is still plenty of snow on the ground and the people are still wearing winter clothing such as thick coats and gloves. The only statement given about the "feat" is that it didn't snow... Not that the entire island had been raised to the boiling point of water. If the whole island was that hot, the snow would melt and the people would have died.

The second reason is that even if a layer of the atmosphere was heated up to vaporize snow in the air, this layer doesn't need to extended all the way from ground level to the peaks of the mountains. If it was even a hundred meters thick layer of heated air but high up in the sky where snow would have formed then that would still prevent it from snowing without all of the air beneath that layer needed to be superheated as well.

Since the method doesn't seem reliable to me, I think the calc should be removed.

If accepted, no profiles or ratings would need to change. It'd just be removed from the list of calcs.

The second reason is that even if a layer of the atmosphere was heated up to vaporize snow in the air, this layer doesn't need to extended all the way from ground level to the peaks of the mountains. If it was even a hundred meters thick layer of heated air but high up in the sky where snow would have formed then that would still prevent it from snowing without all of the air beneath that layer needed to be superheated as well.
I agree, second reason should be enough to remove the calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back