• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece: Ace and Blackbeard CRT

I hate to do this because I love Ace but Ace's profile has issues.

I couldn't find all the threads that approved each AP justification, so if there's truly a sound argument for each of them a link would be appreciated, but as I see it the justifications for Ace scaling to the top tier values (High 6-A soon to be 6-A?) are tenuous at best.

Additionally, as Pre-Gura Gura Blackbeard scales primarily to Ace, this is also a BB CRT.

Which brings us to the first justification:

1. "Was called strong by Shanks, Blackbeard and was said to have have put up one hell of a fight against the latter."
For Blackbeard's Pre-Gura key, his main AP justification is that he can hurt Ace, so using Ace hurting BB in the same fight as a justification for Ace's AP is circular and inadequate. He is additionally compared to his fellow WB crew mates, which is a poor way of scaling (addressed later in justification 3).
Also, when it comes to Shanks calling Ace strong, this justification only works out of context. The entire point of Shanks meeting with Whitebeard is for Shanks to ask WB not to let Ace fight BB. In the linked chapter, Shanks says Ace is strong but it's not time to face BB yet. In this case, strong definitely does not apply a comparison to established top tiers like Shanks or WB, and can't even truly be taken as a comparison to Pre-Gura BB's strength - which as previously mentioned only scales to Ace himself anyway.

2. "Stated to have one of the most powerful Devil Fruits."
These scans seem to be a generous interpretation on Ace's behalf. The first of the three scans, from Databook Red (2002), contrasts Ace's DF with Luffy's and calls Ace a very powerful man. Pre-TS Luffy is nowhere near top tier and the title of powerful is thrown around in One Piece by practically every pirate from Syrup Village to Wano; this scan really provides no context on Ace's power relative to established top tiers. The second scan, from Databook Blue (2022), talks about Ace's DF's immense power, specifically citing the ability to destroy five battleships; while early on in OP this could be considered a top tier feat, OP's power has greatly grown in scale, and destroying 5 ships being the metric for Ace's power hardly justifies top tier scaling. Also within the second scan is the statement that his DF is in a class that is among the strongest; my understanding was that this was referring to Logias as a whole but maybe someone with knowledge of Japanese can clarify. The third scan generally speaks to fire's destructive qualities in nature as well as its use by man to conquer the world; it again provides no solid scaling to any other characters in OP. To be clear, regarding these scans, they aren't awful supporting statements but certainly aren't good enough to be the main scaling justifications, and as the rest of this CRT addresses, the other statements aren't either.

3. "Should be somewhat comparable to his peers, Marco and Jozu"
Based on what? There's no solid justification that each of WB's commanders are comparable, most are not given top tier scaling, and the fleet numbers are never presented as being a ranking, so Ace being 2nd commander makes no difference than if he were the 15th commander.

4. "matched an attack with Akainu before getting defeated by his elemental superiority."
He did not match Akainu. Their attacks hit each other in one panel and then Ace is immediately overwhelmed in the next. There is no implication that Ace produced any real pushback/matched Akainu.

5. "made him guard with his Devil Fruit in their last two duels."
This is in reference to WB finally using his DF after not using it in many clashes with Ace. However, this scan explicitly states that WB used only used a small portion of his power. Despite only facing a small portion of WB's power, Ace still fell into the see unconscious at the end of this battle. This can in no way be used to scale Ace to WB.

The above justifications are those that I think are completely unjustified. The next two I still believe are highly dubious with but they are the ones I think might deserve some debate.

6. "Burned the hand of a casual Old Whitebeard"
In this scan the only thing they're worried about is infection. This seems like a case of durability negation at most; especially since heat is already viewed as durability negation, I would think a burn-induced infection would certainly fall into that category. And again, this was Ace's hundredth time and he only got WB to use a small portion of his power.

7. "Circumvented an attack from Aokiji with his own"
I don't think circumvented is the right word here but I assume it should be matched/canceled out. Which Ace did, but... this is where I think there's really the biggest gray area. Ace cancels out an attack from Aokiji but has a clear elemental advantage (fire vs ice); they ultimately stalemate and Ace runs away. To what extent is this attributed to Ace's AP vs just elemental advantage? Granted Aokiji fought Akainu for ten days despite Akainu's elemental advantage but the fight was off-screened and we don't know whether it was Aokiji's ice or his Haki that actually damaged Akainu; how much are we willing to infer/guess about that fight?

There are a few possible outcomes for this CRT if any of it is accepted:

1st option: Justifications 1,3-5 and probably 6 are removed as they are poor/baseless justifications. 7 remains as the major scaling and 2 remains as a relevant supporting detail.

e.g. Attack Potency: Continent level Canceled out an attack from from Aokiji with his own. Ace is stated to have one of the most powerful Devil Fruits.

2nd option: Justifications 1-5 and probably 6 are removed. 7 remains as a "likely" justification. Ace is scaled to this feat.

e.g. Attack Potency: Large Mountain level Melted all the snow in the atmosphere above Drum Island, likely Continent level Canceled out an attack from from Aokiji with his own, although he had an elemental advantage.

3rd option: Justifications 1-7 are removed and Ace scales to his Drum Island feat.

e.g. Attack Potency: Large Mountain level Melted all the snow in the atmosphere above Drum Island.

Pre-Gura Gura Blackbeard scales to whichever option is accepted, if any.

1- I agree, I hate that they use things like "calling him strong" as justification, as if its not clear that the person who said that is many times more powerful, just saying that because he is strong for someone so young.

2- Also agree. Thats the same reason Akainu and Whitebeard were scaled to Multi continental because the databook said they had the strongest fruit , Oda calling every fruit most powerful is ridiculous.

3- Kinda neutral here but i agree to a certain extent, Whitebeard is not really a man that cares only for power like Kaidou.

4- The problem is Oda completely changing the scale of One piece after timeskip, Akainu during his fight with Aokiji was much more powerful that Marineford even though it happened little time after. So assume he was actually full power there is the only possible argument because he was fighting a yonkou. Anyways I had better feats in another thread and they still denied a single 1 or 2 seconds hold back is ridiculous. Agree.

5 and 6- As if Whitebeard would even actually try to hurt "his kids" he was holding back for sure to begin with Whitebeard wasnt even using any advanced form of haki so scaling because of a burned hand is ridiculous, why not scale those bullets from the marines to Multi continental too since they actually harmed Whitebeard? Totally Agree.

7-Aokiji has a history of holding back or being benevolent against his enemies to begin with and the elemental disavantage also supports it being most likely a outlier, why would Ace someone who is way to weak compared to a yonkou scale to that level anyways, and its against akainu and aokiji in both times he is scaling of them for a single attack.

I welcome the new scaling but i dont think its gonna fix it completely, almost the entire verse of One Pice is currently scaling to the same AP while the gap between each other is absudly huge

Very well structured OP ngl honestly shocking lol.

Ace being High 7-A though.. 👀

I'll follow this but I think at the very least I agree with your debunks.

4. "matched an attack with Akainu before getting defeated by his elemental superiority."
He did not match Akainu. Their attacks hit each other in one panel and then Ace is immediately overwhelmed in the next. There is no implication that Ace produced any real pushback/matched Akainu.

5. "made him guard with his Devil Fruit in their last two duels."
This is in reference to WB finally using his DF after not using it in many clashes with Ace. However, this scan explicitly states that WB used only used a small portion of his power. Despite only facing a small portion of WB's power, Ace still fell into the see unconscious at the end of this battle. This can in no way be used to scale Ace to WB.

The above justifications are those that I think are completely unjustified. The next two I still believe are highly dubious with but they are the ones I think might deserve some debate.

6. "Burned the hand of a casual Old Whitebeard"
In this scan the only thing they're worried about is infection. This seems like a case of durability negation at most; especially since heat is already viewed as durability negation, I would think a burn-induced infection would certainly fall into that category. And again, this was Ace's hundredth time and he only got WB to use a small portion of his power.

7. "Circumvented an attack from Aokiji with his own"
I don't think circumvented is the right word here but I assume it should be matched/canceled out. Which Ace did, but... this is where I think there's really the biggest gray area. Ace cancels out an attack from Aokiji but has a clear elemental advantage (fire vs ice); they ultimately stalemate and Ace runs away. To what extent is this attributed to Ace's AP vs just elemental advantage? Granted Aokiji fought Akainu for ten days despite Akainu's elemental advantage but the fight was off-screened and we don't know whether it was Aokiji's ice or his Haki that actually damaged Akainu; how much are we willing to infer/guess about that fight?
These specific justifications all still seem valid to scale, just definitely not equally to them. In the ongoing CRT there are characters who scale lower than 6-A to High 6-B so maybe that should be done for Ace.

There's an ongoing thread that will be changing scaling for many characters(including Ace), so trying to change his AP rating right now is probably not the best idea.

Making his justifications less cluttered should be fine though.
I only posted this separate from that thread because all this would really clog up that discussion; it seemed better to make a separate CRT

These specific justifications all still seem valid to scale, just definitely not equally to them. In the ongoing CRT there are characters who scale lower than 6-A to High 6-B so maybe that should be done for Ace.
Regarding 4, I personally just do not see the interpretation that Ace even matched Akainu for a second or scales to him in any way.

5, when WB is explicitly stated to use only a small portion of his Gura Gura power, how is that different from, for example, his use against the Giant vice admirals in Marineford, who’ve never been scaled to top tier?

6, if the majority feels it’s valid, okay, it just seem like durability negation to me.

7, sure, like I said this is 50/50 for me, I could see where people think it’s valid although I‘d like to see others’ opinions on it.

Regarding 4, I personally just do not see the interpretation that Ace even matched Akainu for a second or scales to him in any way.
Iirc it was argued he lost out due the elemental disadvantage of their fruits and due to this Akainu's magma burned Ace's fire.
5, when WB is explicitly stated to use only a small portion of his Gura Gura power, how is that different from, for example, his use against the Giant vice admirals in Marineford, who’ve never been scaled to top tier?
Difference is the narrative isn't comparing Ace to some random Vice-Admirals. Ace fought WB so many times without him needing to use the Gura and for a long time without ever getting burned, Ace grew to the point where he could burn WB & WB felt it necessary to use a small portion of his fruit's power where he didn't before.
7, sure, like I said this is 50/50 for me, I could see where people think it’s valid although I‘d like to see others’ opinions on it.
Definitely shouldn't be viewed as them being equals as the element advantage should be in Ace's favor, but still cancelling out Aokiji's ice attack should warrant scaling rather than being ignored entirely.

Iirc it was argued he lost out due the elemental disadvantage of their fruits and due to this Akainu's magma burned Ace's fire.

Difference is the narrative isn't comparing Ace to some random Vice-Admirals. Ace fought WB so many times without him needing to use the Gura and for a long time without ever getting burned, Ace grew to the point where he could burn WB & WB felt it necessary to use a small portion of his fruit's power where he didn't before.

Definitely shouldn't be viewed as them being equals as the element advantage should be in Ace's favor, but still cancelling out Aokiji's ice attack should warrant scaling rather than being ignored entirely.
I really struggle to see how Ace scales to Akainu even with the elemental disadvantage, it just looks like he was immediately overwhelmed. Maybe I’m just missing something.

For the second part, to me that just suggests that finally Ace got to a level comparable to Vice-Admirals, not that he’s somehow different than them.

The Aokiji scaling feels a little off to me but I can certainly understand it if the majority of people think it’s solid.

Do you feel there’s merit in at least removing some of these justifications?

Durability-wise, BB also took hits from Sengoku and WB.
Well the whole BB crew survived a big hit from Sengoku and yet are not scaled to H6A. And BB countered a Gura Gura attack from WB with his Yami-Yami no mi, so Hax not durability there, and was completely overwhelmed otherwise iirc.

Pre-Gura BB only scales to H6A via hurting Ace (circular scaling) and being comparable to his peers (which is poor scaling as addressed in the OP)
Technically, BB also scarred Shanks and was nominated for 2nd Division Commander in WB's crew.

I really struggle to see how Ace scales to Akainu even with the elemental disadvantage, it just looks like he was immediately overwhelmed. Maybe I’m just missing something.
Like Monkeman said he matched him physically, he lost out due to Akainu's fruit consuming and burning fire via it's fruit superiority.
For the second part, to me that just suggests that finally Ace got to a level comparable to Vice-Admirals, not that he’s somehow different than them.
Ace was already on the level of vice-admirals before he ever reached the new world.

WB choosing to use the gura on vice-admirals has nothing to do with Ace growing strong enough to where WB couldn't rely only on his physical strength to beat him.
Do you feel there’s merit in at least removing some of these justifications?
The ones I didn't bring up in my first post I think can go.

Technically, BB also scarred Shanks and was nominated for 2nd Division Commander in WB's crew.
We don’t know when he scarred Shanks and what they scaled to at the point. And as talked about in the OP, commander appointment has no correlation with scaling.

Well the whole BB crew survived a big hit from Sengoku and yet are not scaled to H6A. And BB countered a Gura Gura attack from WB with his Yami-Yami no mi, so Hax not durability there, and was completely overwhelmed otherwise iirc.
Uh, yes they are.

That's the entire reason Burgess is High 6-A.

And BB took a quake from WB as well as a Bisento hit, his durability scales.

He was casually matching Smoker in Alabasta, dude is easily above Vice-Admirals.

Uh, yes they are.

That's the entire reason Burgess is High 6-A.

And BB took a quake from WB as well as a Bisento hit, his durability scales.

He was casually matching Smoker in Alabasta, dude is easily above Vice-Admirals.
Burgess is listed as H6A yes, but his main scaling is for facing Sabo. Shiryu’s durability is listed as 7-A, likely High 6-A while Catarina Devon’s durability is listed as unknown. If there was a CRT to upgrade them all to H6A is hasn’t been applied.

And Alabasta Smoker is 7-A.

Burgess is listed as H6A yes, but his main scaling is for facing Sabo.
You don't understand.

Burgess's durability scales to Sengoku. Post TS Burgess is more durable than Pre TS Burgess.

Sabo scales to being able to repeatedly hurt Burgess even while being casual, but Burgess matched a casual Sabo who hurt him, so his AP and durability are comparable.
Shiryu’s durability is listed as 7-A, likely High 6-A while Catarina Devon’s durability is listed as unknown. If there was a CRT to upgrade them all to H6A is hasn’t been applied.
They should both scale to Sengoku, I just haven't made a CRT for Shiryu and for Devon's durability yet.

I think at that point Shanks was clashing with Mihawk.
Is there clear proof that BB scarred Shanks during the time he was clashing with Mihawk, and that either of them were H6A at that point. Not trying to be difficult but a lot of these justifications require assuming someone at some point in the past was H6A when it’s not clear they were. Characters aren’t top tiers their whole lives.

You don't understand.

Burgess's durability scales to Sengoku. Post TS Burgess is more durable than Pre TS Burgess.

Sabo scales to being able to repeatedly hurt Burgess even while being casual, but Burgess matched a casual Sabo who hurt him, so his AP and durability are comparable.

They should both scale to Sengoku, I just haven't made a CRT for Shiryu and for Devon's durability yet.
Ah well my point with Burgess was just that his durability doesn’t match the whole BB crew. Now if your CRT is accepted, that changes things entirely. I was just going off of the current profiles.

Is there clear proof that BB scarred Shanks during the time he was clashing with Mihawk, and that either of them were H6A at that point. Not trying to be difficult but a lot of these justifications require assuming someone at some point in the past was H6A when it’s not clear they were. Characters aren’t top tiers their whole lives.
Well Mihawk implies one armed Shanks ( the Yonko member who's H6A ) is a hasbeen who isn't as strong as he was when they fought each other.
I'll tell you the timeline later.

I don't really know tbh, but either way, he took it as well as BB did, so downscaling or not, that's still 6-A.
BB's body absorbs more pain from attacks though, so if he took it as well as him he wouldn't necessarily scale to the same level as BB's true durability.

BB's body absorbs more pain from attacks though, so if he took it as well as him he wouldn't necessarily scale to the same level as BB's true durability.
Valid point, but either way, Burgess and the other commanders took a surprise attack from a pissed Sengoku and all of them just took minor to moderate damage.

Back