• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Yeah, she wasn't really what I was saying that for.

More so just Cappy, or Mario, having control over multiple things. It's a precedent, if anything

They're gonna make him faster than sound, obviously.

But they're gonna note some "limits" he has, which doesn't sound too good

From here

Wiz: ... Sonic's specific top speed is technically unknown, he boasts that he's faster tha light, but he's yet to prove in canon without the aid of additional equipment. Sonic's highest speed is officially described as hypersonic, and his best record comes from Sonic Unleashed, where he's recorded running up to 3,000 SPD. Assuming this translates to metric meters, given the game's Japanese development, this puts Sonic in the high end of the hypersonic spectrum, clocking his highest recorded speed at a whopping 6,711 miles per hour.

Honestly? A part of me hopes so.

This is a fight I won't spoil myself on and actually watch blind because it's special to me, but I definitely have my own opinions on it

The real cal howard said:
And...Mario's gonna blitz Sonic via being lightning speed to Death Battle...
My predicted speed for Sonic (with reference from Metal Sonic vs Zero) applies to base Sonic. But Death Battle measures characters at their strongest, so speeds for Super Sonic and for Power Star Mario are still to be determined. And the items and hax from their new games...

Metal Sonic was stated in Metal Sonic vs Zero to be able to reach escape velocity, and since Sonic is frequently shown to be able to keep up with Metal, it should be reasonable to say Sonic can at least go that fast. I'm not saying that's his max speed, I'm certain he's faster, but it does give some hope that he can go faster than what they're saying

I predict that they'll portray Sonic as Hypersonic at most and give Mario the win via lightning speeds and the time he flew through the atmosphere (cuz Sonic's totally done neither of that).

I desperately want Sonic to be at least as fast as lightning, because if Sonic isn't the one with the amazing speed, what's even the point?

I'm pretty sure they've changed their opinions again on Sonic's speed judging by Wiz's tone in Sonic's preview. If Sonic's definitive running speed was such a vital issue that they'd rather talk about in the full episode, I doubt they're limiting him to 6,711 mph.

Sonic's biggest hurdle, though, is getting past Mario's arsenal. I think it's reasonable to conclude that the "their arsenals counter so it's down to physical stats" idea is out the window. Not to say Sonic's arsenal hasn't grown with Mario's, of course, but it'll be difficult to find counters to the Double Cherry, Gold Flower and especially White Tanooki, which will be a far harder form for Super or Hyper Sonic to face than Mega, Metal or Star Mario by default of it not having a time limit to speak of like many of their other invulnerability-granting forms.

BloodStalker500 said:
Sure they want and they need to talk about Sonic's true speeds at his different states when these are what identify Sonic as who we know and love and hate.

Also, Sonic has grown a lot in his arsenals and the wisps can do potentially crazier ***** than Mario's one time Cappy thing. Just Mario has now had crazier feats that may match even Sonic's feats. As Ben said, both have grown up a lot and SA's rules have grown up too - these are why they are having this reexamination / true rematch.

Foxthefox1000 said:
The comments are going crazy over DB discussing Sonic's "limits" in speed

Already accusing them of downplay and appeasing the Mario fams
What about turns up Sonic wins for the verdict that Sonic is slower than Mario but he is tougher, stronger and more haxxed.

lol wut?

Back in the old days Sega was trying to create their own mascot to fight against the famous Mario franchise. Sonic was created and was supposedly designed to be faster than Mario to be the selling point. So, if Sonic is not even faster than Mario, this will be against the designers will. (In the Mario vs Sonic Olympic games, Sonic is almost always depicted to be faster than Mario but weaker in lifting strength)

I really don't care much for Death Battle, considering how often they get stuff wrong and even outright ignore their research team, but I'll guess their verdict will go something like this.

AP: Probably Mario. Punting castles > Destroying big robots.

Speed: I'd say Sonic. My guess is they'll use the black hole feat for Sonic while probably using a feat of Mario dodging lasers or something. They'll probably ignore their verdict on Metal Sonic's speed, or just say that Sonic is faster than Metal. (While ignoring the fact that Metal is faster than Sonic.)

Durability: Mario. They're using the stadium explosion for him, and my guess is they'll use Sonic's multiple freefalls from space.

Intelligence: Mario. Not only is Mario smarter than Sonic, he has a lot more experience than Sonic does.

Arsenal: Mario. While they did say that their items countered each other, I think they've realized that that's bullshit. No one's going to say that Sonic has a better arsenal than Mario does.

Natural Abilities: Sonic. Alot of Mario's special powers come from power-ups, while Sonic can create tornadoes and spindash and stuff.

Overall Verdict: While it may seem pretty one-sided, I'm not really sure who they'll have win. If they assume that the black hole powerup Sonic gets turns him into an actual black hole (which they probably will), then Mario's gonna have a hard time avoiding that. Of course, they are using NLF for Starman, the Black Hole won't be able to damage Star Power Mario. Which makes me think Mario will win. But if Super Sonic is being used, it's a different story. He's able to defeat Dark Gaia, which makes him a planet buster, and they'll probably use NLF and say that he's invulnerable. They'll probably say he has a time limit, but it'll be more than enough to speedblitz and defeat Mario. But the more I think about it, I think they'll have him use the Metal Cap, Mega Mushroom, and the Tanooki Suit's ability to turn to stone to outlast Super Sonic, since those power-ups are also "completely invincible." But when Super Sonic runs out, Sonic will be completely healed, while Mario will be heavily wounded, exhausted, and out of power-ups, leading to Sonic overpowering Mario.

Zamasu Chan said:
If Mario does a forward aerial, I will love Screwattack forever.
Also if they include the White Tanooki, when they're very likely to pull off that NLF BS.
I doubt they'll do that, although a man can dream.

Didn't even think of the White Tanooki. I don't think they'll include it, since Mario has to die a few times to get it, but if they do, they'll NLF the shit out of it.

Foxthefox1000 said:
The comments are going crazy over DB discussing Sonic's "limits" in speed

Already accusing them of downplay and appeasing the Mario fams
Lol I just went to that part of the comments and it's the most heated topic. They're still arguing.

Sorvoe551 said:
I'll be curious as to the justification they give for their calculation of Sonic's top speed, but probably will disagree with it to some degree
Didn't you just say you'd be happy if he was faster than Mario, even though we both know that's bullshit?

Also, **** the people who are yelling at Death Battle for saying Sonic has a limit. Because he obviously does. Anyone who thinks that Sonic can just run as fast as he wants to is an idiot. Why couldn't he outrun the black hole in Sonic Colors then? How can Shadow keep up with him? How come Metal Sonic and Infinite are faster than him? Why does he use the Power Sneakers to run faster then? Why does transforming into Super Sonic make him faster? He obviously has a limit.

Death Battle did incorrectly state that the super form has a time limit based on rings when it's only a gameplay mechanic, and both of Shadow's death battles were just bad.

Sonic's 2-C or Infinite speed rating is only effective when fighting against Evil beings though.

Back