• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Saying Sonic has more than 10 vocal themes is like saying there has to be more then 100 people in China. Technically not wrong, but...

My opinion on Mario and Sonic's character is a bit mixed. I like Sonic better between the two characters because IMO, he's cooler and has more personality and all that. But the Mario franchise is definitely going much stronger; the games are better overall and especially the 3D department, the other characters are also better too.

Mario is actually by far the least interesting character in the Mario series. Luigi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario all have way more personality than Mario. And in Wario and Donkey Kong's case, their games are for the most part even better than the main series Mario games; they have more platforming variety, more likable characters in Donkey Kong's case, ect. And yeah, there's the Matt Pat videos about Mario. Luigi on the other hand is the greatest between the two franchises.

And most of Sonic's characters are quantity over quality. Sure Sonic and Knuckles are cool, and so are Tails, and then Shadow has some mixed results, but I actually like him. And then Sonic has a whole bunch of shitty characters like Big the Cat, Elise, most villains that aren't Robotnik, ect.

Shadowbokunohero said:
My weird take

I like Mario as a game character better

I Like Sonic more outside the medium of video games
^this

In terms of games, Mario blows Sonic out of the water. In terms of other media, it's apparent when Mario's first animated appearance was Hotem Mario while Sonic's was in Sonic Boom (the song, not the game).

That's like one of the bullshit clip pulled out to say "Mario is a psycho!!". Like one clip from that one obscure game that doesn't line up with anything at all.

Well, I am not trying to say that Mario's a Psycho. That doesn't even so much as say anything about Mario being a psycho.

Actually, the Mario Bros Super Show came out before Hotel Mario iirc, but Hotel Mario doesn't count because it wasn't made by Nintendo, it was made by Philips who borrowed permission from Nintendo.

The real cal howard said:
^this

In terms of games, Mario blows Sonic out of the water. In terms of other media, it's apparent when Mario's first animated appearance was Hotem Mario while Sonic's was in Sonic Boom (the song, not the game).
How exactly does Mario blow Sonic out of the water outside of game quality, in which I am not even focusing on (Mario destroy in terms of game quality, let's be blunt, the minds behind Sonic games don't know what they are doing)? I also do not understand how their animation debut says anything about the characters at all.

The way I see it, Mario has better gameplay (especially with recent Sonic games where the formula is boost 2 win) but Sonic is the better character.

The fact that Sonic's "best offering so far" is pretty much a huge extension to their original game just shows the state of modern Sonic.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else think that if Sonic's the Goku comparison and Shadow is the Vegeta comparison, then Knuckles is the Piccolo comparison?

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Let's be blunt, the minds behind Sonic games don't know what they are doing)?
It doesn't help that Sonic Team is constantly changing who works on the games, the people who made Sonic Forces is a completely different group of people than the ones who worked on Colours and Generations. Plus most of the consistent members of Sonic Team have been tried of making Sonic for years now because the higher ups of SEGA won't let them made other games. Iizuka for example has wanted to make a new Nights game for a while now, but he hasn't been allowed too.

The problem isn't so much they don't know what they're doing, it's that they don't really like working on nothing but Sonic and are forced to keep switching out old and new staff.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
The fact that Sonic's "best offering so far" is pretty much a huge extension to their original game just shows the state of modern Sonic.
It's pandering to Classic Sonic purists who whine about Modern Sonic's green eyes.

People are kind of debating what Sonic rips of, originally they said Mario ripoff given the platforming and console wars, but that's where the direct similarities end. Then some say Dragon Ball rip off do to spiky hair and super transformations, and Chaos Emeralds to Dragon Balls comparison. Now Nostalgia Critic says it's a Mega Man ripoff.

I love Mario. He is my favorite video game character. His games helped me overcome some pretty nasty challenges in my life and I will forever thank him and Nintendo for being such a huge part of my childhood. I don't care if he wins or loses this rematch because he is more than just a fighter to me. He is a friend. A leader. A star. A hero.

Leader Vladimir said:
I love Mario. He is my favorite video game character. His games helped me overcome some pretty nasty challenges in my life and I will forever thank him and Nintendo for being such a huge part of my childhood. I don't care if he wins or loses this rematch because he is more than just a fighter to me. He is a friend. A leader. A star. A hero.
Same here...

Christian Higdon said:
Leader Vladimir said:
Same here...
Mario was my favorite character, until it was ruined by Creepypasta

To be fair, even a couple of the "Bad" Sonic games, like Shadow the Hedgehog and Black Knight, I actually enjoyed to some extent. The Pure Dark and Pure Hero paths of Shadow's story do have its moments, but yeah, no one can defend the bad voice acting and over redundant words and phrases. Same with Neutral path having a bad plot twist. And Black Knight also had it's share of moments and memorable tunes, but the problem with both those games is that they have almost no challenge at all. Not as bad as Sonic 6/6/06 or Sonic Boom the game though. And ironically the worst Sonic games are more Classic rather than Modern. Sonic Labyrinth, anyone?

CreepyPasta is Non-Canon though, and is just fanfiction. It can't really ruin any franchise, but they could get lawsuits after them if they go overboard.

How did it ruin it exactly? Bad writing, bad plot, fanbase overhyping it? Even if all of those are reasons, i can't for the life of me say i stop enjoying things because bad fanfictions of it exist

LightinAnt said:
How did it ruin it exactly? Bad writing, bad plot, fanbase overhyping it? Even if all of those are reasons, i can't for the life of me say i stop enjoying things because bad fanfictions of it exist
It ruins the enjoyment of the Game

Can't wait to see Sonic's preview.

People have their tinfoil like Mario will win cause what's the point otherwise? And then they're saying Mario will lose because the one who gets a big calculation in the analysis always ends up losing due to a calculation of something they didn't mention being brought up for the other guy.

Back