• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New Forum Location

VenomElite

VS Battles
Retired
For those who have a new layout for the wiki's navigation bar, the location of the Forums is the final option under the "Explore" section. Alternatively you can still access Forums using Special:Forum in the web address box.

It seems every wiki now has the updated layout, but Forums still seem to be supported on this wiki.

Hopefully this doesn't cause any inconvenience.

Yes. I hope that we will continue to be able to use our old discussions forum system. The new one does not suit our purposes at all.

I first saw the change on my wiki. Then here, FC/OC doesn't seem to have changed but that may just be my mobile browser.

Also related to this, our Discussions module is active. I see posts from 3 hours ago to a couple of days ago (has no one noticed this?)

It might be that time unfortunately, but our Forums are still active so, I guess we may have to wait and see?

The time Fandom officially stops supporting Forums altogether.

Found it:

So what's different in this version compared to the test version?

• More Logged-In Functionality. For logged in users, the page header will include a shortcut to the Admin Dashboard next to the Wiki Activity button. We will offer more customization of this area by logged-in users in the future.
  • Customization. The Theme Designer will be updated so admins can upload a header image and have greater control of the header colors. Outside of the Theme Designer, we've decided that, in order to maintain a consistently modern look across FANDOM, we won't be allowing most forms of CSS/JS customization of the header. You can read more about this decision here. If you have ideas for additional Theme Designer options, let us know!
  • Categories. We're continuing to study how categories perform as navigational tools in the article header, in addition to remaining at the bottom of the page. However, Main Pages will no longer display categories.
  • The "Discuss" Button. If a wiki has Discussions enabled but not Forum, "Discuss" will lead to Discussions. If Discussions and Forum are both enabled, "Discuss" will lead to Discussions while Forum will appear in the "Explore" menu. If Forum is enabled but not Discussions, "Discuss" leads to the Forum. If neither feature is enabled, "Discuss" will not appear.
We have both Forums and Discussions enabled (because I clicked Discuss and it brought me to the Discussions Module just like on Community Central). Therefore, we may need to do something about that.

I have sent Fandom a polite message asking them to please let us continue to use the message board system side-by-side with the new discussions module, as losing it could throw this wiki into chaos.

@Sera

Thanks.

@All

Since Community Central's forums are still quite active. I doubt Fandom will completely abandon the feature altogether any time soon. Then again this is Fandom we're talking about...

It is the same header (the image in the upper left corner of the screen), but since it has a transparent background, the text is no longer visible after the colour change.

See here:
Wiki-wordmark.png

Sorry if you hate it Ever, but I know Brandon....it's not going anywhere. It does function better than the original toolbar and of course, it's mobile friendly. I agree with Momo, an image would look better (maybe one of various fictional characters?) something like DC Wiki has.

I have informed Kavpeny about this, but he has not replied since May 29.

I am open for suggestions for a new header image.

Ryukama designed the following image for our forum advertisement a while back, but it would likely shrink too much to work out:

VS_Battles_Advertisement_Image.png

So, what are we going to do about Discussions? If the module is active and we're not using it, we should request it to be deactivated.

I am fine with the new toolbar. What should worry us is if they completely replace our old forum.

@Ever

I understand. Repp said the same thing, it just takes some time getting used to. For example, this header already existed on Community Central and DC Wiki, so I'm used to it.

@Ant

Ven is right, I don't think Forums will be replaced. We have both Discussions and Forums active. The question is what will we do with the former?

Yeah, we can still easily(requires a few more clicks sadly) access our discussions. But now we have this very....out of place toolbar and a kind of useless Discussion tab....This doesn't feel right personally, but I'll adapt.

It only looks out of place because of the simplicity of our design layout. The idea was to capitalize on customization for admins and regular users alike. That is what Brandon told me personally.

I agree with Sera. Look at Marvel Wiki or DC Wiki, they are more visually appealing regardless of the new navigation bar. Then again the bureaucrats of those wikis are councilors and they've had the new look months before we did.

Personally I feel Wikia is constantly hard at work to fix things that aren't broken. But thanks for informing me and others users of this change and how to work around it.

No problem Ryu. I saw this on my wiki and I thought it had something to with the interlanguage wiki links I requested but then I came back here and saw the same.

Thank goodness Sera follows the Fandom Staff and Vanguard's blogs on Community Central. Brandon said this was launching 21 days ago and we didn't even know.

I wonder if I will ever become a councilor? I mean, I have over 108000 Fandom edits, this wiki has over 30 times as many page views each month as when I first came here, and it consistently rates around place 16 in the WAM score among over 360000 wikis... Nah, probably not. I do not have sufficiently good judgement or programming knowledge, and am a bit mentally unstable. Oh well.

Anyway, I definitely do not think that it is a good idea to ask them to deactivate the discussions module. They will refuse to do so, given that it is the new standard, and when I talked with them about this around a year ago we were set to eventually lose the forum altogether. I hope that they will reconsider, but let's be happy if they simply let us continue to be able to communicate properly, as that is the most important issue.

So, about the new header image. Do you have any ideas Ryukama?

This image in the upper left corner of the screen:
Wiki-wordmark.png

The new background colour butchers the visible layout.

I'm fine with that. I suppose I can keep an eye on the Discussions, it's not doing any harm though.

@Ant I'd say we just make the "Battles" white like I did for the Joke Battles wordmark.

No, it isn't. It is not useful, but also not harmful in itself.

Okay how about this?

A white background of the Wiki-Wordmark, so that our shield and text don't blend in with the blue bar. Might not look as nice as transparent, but I think it could be a better solution to what we have now.

Testwordmark

@Ryu If I may make a suggestion, instead of a white background, how about a thick white outline around the shield and the word Battles? Or if that's too difficult, seeing how there's a shadow in the logo, changing the white to the really light blue the rest of the wiki has?

I am fine with Ryukama's suggestion. Thank you for the help.

Back