• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Natsu Dragneel vs...Raticate

What does it do? Cause Natsu doesn't have HP(it ain't a game) and that doesn't have sense...

Think of it like this. The damage threshold Natsu has is halved with each Super Fang. like, say Natsu can take 20 hits from someone on his level before he's defeated. Super Fang makes that 10.

Basically it halves his stamina? Honestly that's not very effective durabilty negation, but okay. Also, what are Rat's actual moves, what he uses the most and his resistance on burns is like resistance on flames or something?

@Blanked: I have no idea what you mean by "Resistance to Burns" because Raticate has no Resistances on its profile. What it DOES have is Guts, an abilitiy where it gets a boost to its physical attack power (In-game, by about 50%.) so long as it has a Status Condition. Most relevantly, being burned.

Surprisingly, speed isn't equalized. I'm also unsure why Raticate has Attack Reflection. Also not on the profile is what seems to be an unmentioned weakness.

Red It uses its whiskers to maintain its balance. It apparently slows down if they are cut off.
Blue
But anyway.... Assuming Raticate has all its abilities at once (Run Away, Guts, Hustle.), then.... I'm inclined to vote Natsu.

Oh sure, Guts means it'll hit harder. Hustle is even more attack at the cost of a lesser amount of accuracy. And using Focus Energy means it'll land critical blows more often. Swords Dance will boost its attack more. And Tail Whip can drop Natsu's durability.

Since Speed is unequalized, Scary Face dropping Natsu's speed can matter, & Quick Attack & Sucker Punch hitting before other attacks can let it get in surprise hits. Endeavor can let it drop Natsu's stamina down to its level if Raticate is lower, Super Fang halves how much Natsu has remaining....

And if it lands Hyper Fang or Bite, it might flinch Natsu, giving an opportunity cost to Natsu via temporary inability to move.

Assurance, Pursuit & Double Edge all range from often irrelevant to detrimental, such as via Double Edge's recoil. And I doubt he does, but if Natsu has END in this match, he has resistance to Darkness Manipulation, like Bite, Assurance, Pursuit, Sucker Punch, etc.

I could even see it using its moves in hit-&-run tactics, but that's speculation.

They even seem close in stamina! (Extremely large vs Extremely high.)

But what screws Raticate over?

1. In a game of hit-&-run, & maybe a challenge of combat intelligence, Natsu's enhanced smell & hearing let him compete with, if not outdo Raticate.

2. Raticate doesn't have range. Natsu does. AFAIK, it's not his style to focus on attacking from afar, as opposed to close combat, but he still has the option of attacking from afar if his fists fail him. And speaking of....

3. I'd be embarassed for Natsu if his fists failed him. Martial Arts/Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant user vs an angry super animal? I'm sorry Raticate, but Natsu is probably going to get in more hits than you do. Especially because....

4. Hustle. As hard as Raticate can hit with all the ways it can boost its damage, Natsu is not only fighting an opponent who ONLY has close combat & is arguably outskilled by him in that, but his opponent is fighting with an Accuracy penalty.

I'm iffy on this, but I'd be inclined to say Natsu, Medium-High Difficulty. For Raticate to overcome lower skill & accuracy penalty, it would have to be smart enough to capitalize on Quick Attack, Sucker Punch, getting lucky with Flinches, & actually landing Super Fang &/or Endeavour.

It'll probably hurt Natsu pretty bad IF it hits him, especially if Raticate gets up Swords Dance, Focus Energy or Guts trigger, & that's why it's a challenge, but Natsu is arguably smarter, matched in senses, better in combat skill, & has actual range. Even with his preference for close combat, he's bound to realize he 'ought to make some ranged attacks to win this fight.

Honestly, I could see myself voting another way, just because of Raticate's Durability Ignoring Endeavour, Super Fang, bonus hits with Quick Attack, Sucker Punch, & multiple ways of hitting like a truck could mean it could win in a damage race, but I'd need reason to believe it doesn't lose to Natsu's skill, range & Hustle's accuracy issues, even if it did gets its power-ups set-up/triggered.

Raticate has Attack Reflection from Counter

Its fire resistance comes from Thick Fat

Raticate does actually have range with Uproar but thats about it

Also i'd like to point out that Raticate has the famous Me First

WeeklyBattles said:
Raticate has Attack Reflection from Counter
Its fire resistance comes from Thick Fat

Raticate does actually have range with Uproar but thats about it

Also i'd like to point out that Raticate has the famous Me First
Ahhh, okay. Although, AFAIK, only Alolan Raticate has Thick Fat, & this seems like regular Raticate. Uproar might be helpful. But Counter, Uproar, & Me First are all Egg Moves. Don't we only allow 1 of those to a Pokemon?

As far as usefulness.... Counter could be a strong surprise. Uproar I guess is range, but makes it predictable, so long as Natsu can actually hit past what might be an omnidirectional, continuous sound attack. Fire Breath, maybe, assuming the violently vibrating air doesn't put it out?

And.... Me First.... Might do more harm for Raticate than good.

"Alright, now Fire Dragon R-" RATICATE USED FIRE DRAGON ROAR!! *Natsu swallows the attack* "I'M ALL FIRED UP NOW!! Fire Dragon... ROAR!!"

Cue roast Raticate.

Even if it ended up faster, such as via Scary Face -in theory, possibly useful elsewhere to get in more hits- I'm not sure how many situations there are where Raticate benefits from using one of Natsu's attacks against him.

LordAizenSama said:
Since im super lazy I noticed speed is not equalised but what exactly are the speeds for both here?
....Hunh. Sub-Relativistic for Raticate (Them top percentage speed IVs.) vs Natsu's speed of somewhere between Massively Hypersonic+ & At least Massively Hypersonic+, likely higher....

Pretty sure Natsu can't eat his own fires. Otherwise he would just do it in every fight instead of needing other fires. And yeah Raticate blitz.

KuuIchigo said:
Pretty sure Natsu can't eat his own fires. Otherwise he would just do it in every fight instead of needing other fires. And yeah Raticate blitz.
Even when it's something copying and using his own attack, generating fire independent of Natsu, just of the same kind he produces?

Attack reflection won't do a shit to Natsu. While when it comes to copying ones abilty Natsu simply can't eat fire he himself produced, but he can eat fire from others there is no need to put other limitation to him. It's not like he can't eat fire dragon slayers fire, it's his own magic that he can't eat.

Anyway, how fast is rati if this is a blitz? Natsu is only 1.3k.

Iirc Sub rel starts at either mach 8000,9000, or 11,000

So its not good. Not sure what raticate is exactly but those are the minimums for sub rel

Pokewank never ends.

Seriously how is rat faster than heracross who is transonic? Pretty sure I saw heracross in a fight against Scizor... Don't tell me rat is faster than Scizor?

The real cal howard said:
I just didn't get to them all yet lol.
Bruh, that said how did you convince people that those Pokemons are sub-rel? It's rather impressive lol.

Royalty1702 said:
Guts STAB Double Edge, nuff said.
Recoil issues aside, while I'd like to support that.... If Hustle applies as well, while it does power-up Raticate's attacks, it also makes them more likely to miss. Hurting Raticate's chances to hit more is Natsu's superior skill in close combat.

Raticate has many ways to hit really hard here, but it's got almost no range (Uproar is good, if it DOES have it.) & is against an Expert in Hand-to-Hand Combat user.

Admittedly, with flinching, durability ignoring Endeavor & Super Fang, & when Speed isn't equalized, Scary Face, Quick Attack, & Sucker Punch, it can put a lot of offensive pressure on it; Natsu has the better skill, range, & possibly smarts, but so long as Raticate actually hits him (Not always guaranteed, IMHO.), its offensive power could give it the edge.

....Of course, I say this without knowing what AP & Durability values the 2 are scaled to.

Back