• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nasuverse Discussion Board 30

AshenCrow777 said:
ITADAKIMASU!!!! (make sure the meat is Halal Gramps...)
As the good Al-Mualim once said : Nothing is true, everything is permitted . everything is halal for the assassins ovo

Battle Continuation / Verge of Death gets shown is nice I guess.

But still, Merlin and Gil left deeper impression to me. Merlin halts Chaos Tide, after that, he wields Excalibur.

While Gil is the most MVP with his Ea.

Battle Continuation / Verge of Death gets shown is nice I guess.

But still, Merlin and Gil left deeper impression to me. Merlin halts Chaos Tide, after that, he wields Excalibur.

While Gil is the most MVP with his Ea.

Kmao and yeah battle continuation and verge of death was portrayed in a superb.

And I also loved the moment when Merlin pulled out Excalibur (wish we could see more of it) and it was a nice thing that they add how merlin seemed to trick Arturia with the same trick.

Gil was such a badass and so far aside from a few memes about EE a lot of person ******* love that scene (and I'm surprised a lot of them also liked the basse) I had my beats on and Damn it felt godly af.

So are these lahmu literally supposed to be as strong as demon god because I have a hard time believing Merlin's tiny beam would be able to defeat a pillar and cut one in half with a single slash.

@Managements

Well, Merlin is wielding a copy of a top-tier Holy Sword, has B-Rank Strength, and is a top-tier Caster in the same league as Solomon, so yes.

Though, in the game he's primarily occupied with keeping the Chaos Tide at bay, so he doesn't actually participate in battle with you as his Garden of Avalon keeps you healed up as your party gets assailed with waves of Chaos Tide.

Merlin is a Grand Caster candidate, so I don't have that hard of a time believing he can take on Demon God Pillars on his lonesome.

The fact that he's using Excalibur also helps.

@Dargoo

According to official materials, it's a copy of Caliburn, despite appearances.

Huh.

Caliburn still isn't anything to scoff at, despite what Lily's NP damage in FGO would have you think.

I mean is B rank strength really that good to make up for Merlin's D rank agility? He doesn't even have any combat related skills like instinct to help him out in swordfighting, so even though I think he'd be able to beat a demon pillar 1v1 I don't think he'd be oneshotting them with his sword like in the babylonia anime. He's grand caster, not grand saber.

i thought how it was done was just the servants would be given enough mana to comfortably fight and do their stuff, no masters present

I mean merlin trained Arthur/Arturia all she knows (plus clairvoyance helps a lot) comes from him and honestly fate lore material as consistently said that his swordsman ship his stuff of legend especially since he his more adept at weilding a sword than using his spell (whish are pretty freaking strong)

There's no reason for merlin to not be able to one shot these Lahmus, especially since he use a combination of magic and sword fighting as his main fighting style (especially his craftiness).

At this point all animated fate adaption should probably have their own profiles if we always take secondary Canon at face value almost all the time...

Arturia is arguably better overall when it comes to pure swordsmanship (not taking into account magic of course) since in addition to having technique on par with Merlin due to being taught by him she also has A rank instincts and better parameters, so if he can oneshot those lahmus with one slash I don't see why she, along with quite a few other servants with comparable cqc abilities, wouldn't be able to do the same. And I don't think Merlin's clairivoyance has a close combat application, since all it amounts to is seeing far away, not future sight or precognition like Solomon's and Gilgamesh's clairivoyance or Saber's instinct. This of course brings the confusing implication of many servants being able to oneshot demon pillars with normal attacks, not even using their nps, which contradicts the statement of demon gods being too much for a single servant to handle (unless they were referring to Angra Mainyu or Hans in that statement).

So overall I'm not sure if we should take that feat at face value.

I mean one explanation for Merlin easily beating the Demon God Pillar Lvl Lahmus could be because this is the actual living Merlin rather than him as a servant. And we know that some characters are weaker as servants than when they were alive.

But Merlin's abilities in that scene should be the same as when we summon him unless i'm mistaken, since he's only pretending to be a servant when we summon him using his independent manifestation skill, as he's not really dead. Therefore the parameters we see should apply to that scene as well. I think this might just be some lore mistake made by the animation team to make the scene look more cool.

At this point in the story this is the real Merlin that left Avalon to help us. The Independent Manifestation servant version of him was killed all the way back when Tiamat first awakened.

Shouldn't their stats be the same though? It's not like Merlin's independent manifestation forces him to constrain himself to a servant container unless i'm mistaken.

I don't really know the specifics of Independent Manifestation and how it affects the users power. I'm just throwing out a possible explanation.

@Managements

The Merlin following you up until Tiamat's awakening is a Servant summoned via Gilgamesh exploiting a loophole that Merlin didn't exist yet and was technically "not alive".

The Merlin that appears at the very end dropped in from Avalon by dreaming his way out.

As a result, the living Merlin should be even stronger than his Servant version.

I thought it was stated in materials that Merlin was only be pretending to be a servant, not being an actual legit servant limited by their container despite being considered a caster.

@Managements

That's the Merlin that's summoned by Chaldea. The one summoned by Gilgamesh is a genuine Servant.

But then my question of how Merlin is able to do so much with just B rank strength and D rank agility still stands, since the stats we have for Merlin are when we summon him to Chaldea, so he shouldn't be any stronger in Babylonia as both are him while alive.

It's a wierd discrepency but I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

If we're going to talk discrepancies, how about the fact that Merlin was also 'sent back' at the start of Part 2?

He didn't have to leave at all. He could trick Rasputin and Vitch easily with his Illusion (especially because they didn't really care about the Servants and only destroying Chaldea) and followed us to the Shadow Border.

Think of how much trouble we'd have circumvented if he didn't take this chance to just (basically) slack off.

And I still see some people who believe Ritsuka is a 'normal teenager'. Seriously?

Also, I'm proposing to make a CRT for Ritsuka based on the new Valentine scenes. Ability to make a ton (or more) of highly varied chocolate in a short amount of time, for example.

The new ones contain a lot of shenanigans that I think might raise some stats and add some resistances if nothing else. And did we account for his/her Valentine swag? I mean, look at all the gifts, blessings and weapons they receive in return for their chocolate.

Mashu has Valentine scenes and we know that much is canon.

All the Valentine Servants (the new ones) don't just pop out of nowhere. In fact, with the newest JP Valentine, Sei Shonagon needed what Ritsuka and Murasaki pulled in the event to qualify as a Servant. And she's also in that little suitcase Ritsuka carries.

An argument can be made for canonicity, is what I'm saying.

So are you telling me we're assuming the events are canon, and there isn't any actual confirmation on this matter?

Our resident kouhai having valentine's scenes that are canon makes a lot more sense than all 300+ servants, male and female, having canon valentine's scenes.

The only evidence of continuity you bring up is within another Valentine's event, which doesn't say particularly much.

As for servants being introduced in Valentine's events; much of them can be summoned from the Throne normally (Semiramis, for example), and most of the time they aren't summoned from the cutscenes or story like a wellfare servant. I'd concede Sei sounds like an exception to this, although I'd hold my breath until she appears in the story later, and even then it shouldn't immediately qualify all the ridiculous stuff that happens in the cutscenes and chocolate exchanges as canon. Remember that we have servants like Asagami who are explicitly not within the story.

Back