• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nasuverse Discussion Board 29

Why did they make him a rider? Is it just a reference to him boating during the Odessy? His boats mansship never really stood out when compared to his archery, even in the epic where he travels around.

The only boast of his archery is his super powerful bow and the competition of archery.

The rest of the epic is having to sail back home and everything that happens on the way. Both are big parts.

The boat ride isn't as integral to him though. He isn't boasted as a great sailor but as a strategist and archer. He may sail more in the epic but it isn't what he is praised for.

Integral to the story doesn't mean integral to the character.

I fail to see what that has to do with when:

A) Popular perception heavily affects Servants, and his sailing is much more known than his archery stuff.

B) The Boat Ride is actually integral, is the whole part of him trying to get back home. Is one of the main things recognized.

And C), Things being slightly different in the Nasuverse version is pretty common.

It is integral to the story, not really the character though. He rode a boat but isn't considered for his great sailing.

Popular perception is kinda inconsistent considering how some servants look and act nothing like how they are viewed (Protagonist Sabers, Ceasar, etc) and some are exaggerated to an extreme. (Zero's Caster.

C, Yeah but it still annoys me. If he tried a bit more for accuracy, while still keeping the fantasy elements, Fate could have been something unique and far more interesting, and less generic imo.

Rider isn't technically wrong, just a weird choice.

A story about the character, kinda like how the 12 labors is about Heracles, even if none of the tasks are important to him personally.

Not sure what you mean in specific for the Sabers when you say that.

But it does aim a lot for accuracy, much more than people give it credit for, or at least bringing up relevant facts of the heroes. Altera's whole space alien thingy is based on, by then, very recent findings from some extremely old tribes that made paintings on the walls of their caves that, without any recognizable context, paint the figure of a massively tall being and date way back from even the time of mesopotamia.

The labors kinda were important, it was his punishment for being made to kill his family, and the events there are the cause of his eventual death in some tellings (he gets poisoned and jumps into a fire, ascending in the process.)

The space alien thingy doesn't have much to do with Altera's supposed stand in though (Atilla? Is that true?) even then are the paintings really about aliens?

Then I truly don't get it. The Odyssey and the boat likewise are important to him in the sense that they are pivotal parts of his story of getting home. Granted, his NP is the Wood Horse instead.

It actually does. Is kinda why she was so effective at battling as Atilla, she's a thing made for war. And the paintings aren't about aliens, or rather, they aren't about anything since no context exists. But they exist, and assuming all myths are real, what did those caveman see to paint such a figure? Simple as that.

But Atilla has no connection to the cave painting.

And it having no context proves my point, it is just done for the sake of doing it.

The Trojan Horse is valid as a reason to be rider actually. It is probably as Iconic as Achilles.

The more i stay at FGO, the more disappointment i get from it community like everything not on their taste? Just goes complaint, trash talk, and many negative points they threw

Like the whole SW II and Jane design, Sabertolfo case, and now Odysseus with his helmet, some peoples even accusing him as scam servant because the lack of helmet and it just made me really want to beat the hell out that guys because its.....really not make any sense and its fricking ridiculous

The only redeeming quality for Odysseus is the fact that he helped immensely in 2.5.1.

As a girl who's into anime, I know the appeal of mechas. That doesn't stop me from feeling an intense dislike of him.

He's a White Valentine's Servant, for God's sake. Even with Proto-Arthur, at least they gave us a few lines of how he's getting over his toxic relationship with She Who Shall Not Be Named. I'd gladly compete with Ayaka, but he clearly gives Ritsuka a chance there.

Odysseus felt a slap right to my face, followed by a backhand. Penelope this, Penelope that, 'Hey, you're on a journey to save the world and might have been traumatized by having to destroy worlds full of people and possibility. Sure, here's a pat on the back. Good luck with your endreavors--by the way, why haven't you summoned Penelope?'

As a card-carrying fan of Greek Myth, I can only say I appreciate the way they stuck to the original--Odysseus and Penelope are a thing...but it's the same appreciation for the Resident Evil 2 Remake. It's true to the original, and it's good, but there are points deducted FOR being true to the original.

[The above was a rant by a girl who whaled more than twice her usual for Odysseus, fell in love with his looks and voice, Grinded him to Bond 5 to have 5 times the happiness, and got shot down like the Death Star.]

I don't understand why people are so angry about Odysseus being devoted to Penelope. Getting back home to his wife and son was his driving motivation since the beginning. He'd move mountains and sack cities for her, and even bedding a literal goddess who offered him immortality wasn't enough to shake his devotion to his wife. He's certainly not going to stop loving Penelope for a teenager he just met.

Heck, it's also important to note that Lostbelt Odysseus and Pan-Human Odysseus are drastically different people. Lostbelt Odysseus is an immortal monster who never met Penelope and is solely devoted to carrying out the gods' will, while Pan-Human Odysseus is the devoted, wily, prideful, and badass hero he is in myth.

Did I wish they gave him his bow? Yes. Am I complaining about him being a Kamen Rider and Super Robot pilot? Hell no.

People that get triggered to such extent by the lack of love from their non existent digital husbands and wives is nothing more than the absolute height of stupidity.

And then they smear all that shit to bring down the character as a whole like they have some sort of personal vendetta.

Dumb beyond belief.

Veloxt1r0kore said:
The more i stay at FGO, the more disappointment i get from it community like everything not on their taste? Just goes complaint, trash talk, and many negative points they threw.
You dont know the Musashi vs Okita debate? Because of it, all the discussion on Okita was erased.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
People that get triggered to such extent by the lack of love from their non existent digital husbands and wives is nothing more than the absolute height of stupidity.
And then they smear all that shit to bring down the character as a whole like they have some sort of personal vendetta.

Dumb beyond belief.
I do. I've already explained WHY.

And hey, if you're so against 'stupid shit', why are you even here, where we discuss non-existent battles by characters that do not exist outside of paper or code?

Why did you even start playing or learning about FGO? The history lesson?

Reppuzan said:
I don't understand why people are so angry about Odysseus being devoted to Penelope.
He is a White Valentine Servant. You know, the supposed season for ' virtual boyfriends' of FGO. I was very surprised to see him on the Gacha, and I had expectations--maybe the Protag would be an incomplete reincarnation of Penelope. It's happened before.

I would have literally zero problems if he was released as part of the Story Gacha. As I've clarified, I don't mind him being devoted to Penelope. I KNOW THE STORIES, okay? I READ them more than ten years before I even knew about Fate.

One more time: I do not mind him being devoted to Penelope, because I know how his character is portrayed. What I DO mind is him taking up the spot for a potential 'boyfriend' Servant, and making me spend so much money on him.

Discussing about power levels and things is a hobby. Getting angry enough that you go into a hate filled rant to other people about a fictional character not focusing on you is what I find personally childish.

And I am sorry but, I am not sure I can empathize with deriding a character being written in a believable way. Taking a badly planned choice by the FGO people and dumping on it to explain it as some sort of failing on the nature of his personality is just mind boggling to me. From the outset he didn't give any "you are my bae reincarnated" vibes, but "I have a single person I have and will always be devoted to" vibes, literally just the same as Tomoe Gozen.

It even sounds unhealthy to me, so on a fundamental level I can't agree with that.

@Lance

Hate-filled rant? I like his mecha, and really his character in general. That does not contradict with how I feel about him.

Look, the FGO people don't just plan the events and Gacha. They also create the characters.

Type-Moon characters deviating from their origins is not just a schtick, it's almost the norm at this point.

That's why I can accept Achilles and Atalante being a thing, because Higashide presented an acceptable deviation on their characters, and he made it work.

If they were going to design Odysseus this way, the way they portrayed Tomoe, they should've put him in the Story Gacha the way she was, and NOT the Valentine one. Tomoe has never been the MAIN character of a Valentine's Gacha.

Unhealthy? Seriously, you tell me how many things are actually healthy. I know what I want out of this game, and I pay for it. I don't get it, I get upset.

And before we continue this back-and-forth, let's shake hands and remind each other we're here on friendly terms, alright? I'm here to make friends and discuss powers and battles and other trivial things, not to make others uncomfortable.

Back