• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OH. DEAR. LORD.

I can't even fathom the stupidity of this.

"Context does not matter."

So what you're telling me, FANDOM, is that you're just going to cherry pick and decide on what amounts to a whim, what something means and how it's being used? And then, go to the maximum punishment?

Well, I guess we might just as well start counting down as various people get permabanned. Thank you. Thank you so much for cultivating a community based on fear and tyranny. That's exactly what we needed.

In regards to Kep and Assualt. Y'all take best of care and good luck out there with your future endeavors.

this is some next-level bullshit that is the literal definition of the slippery slope.

I hope you do well in life, that FANDOM quits being ******* ******** and that this doesn't set a precedent.

But it is in the middle of the night here for me, so I have to go to sleep again.

Look people.

I understand it's always been said to be calm. But this is something beyond anything we've seen before. At this point, a little bit of anger is totally justified

Esto es una vergūenza, siendo realmente honestos. Me parece insólito que en pleno 2018 a├║n se siga atentando contra la libertad de expresión...

Good luck, Kep and Assalt.

This isn't real life where you can't stop yourself from talking. You can just stop typing, open a new site and go there.

Callsign Castle said:
VersusJunkie54 said:
The kinds of people that run FANDOM cannot be reasoned with Ant, I think you'd be wasting your time.
I thought you left?
I am. But not right away. Because I still have things to say here, and questions to answer in my going away thread.

Yobobojojo said:
Look people.
I understand it's always been said to be calm. But this is something beyond anything we've seen before. At this point, a little bit of anger is totally justified
Just because getting emotional is understandable doesn't mean it's appropriate or beneficial towards your goals.

I know how people feel. They feel that someone they were friends with and looked up to was unjustly punished. Of course they'll be angry.

But if you want any chance of Kep being unbanned, and to convince FANDOM this community isn't toxic, lashing out and spreading vile towards them will only do the opposite.

Civilized criticism and logically refuting FANDOM's points in a calm manner on the otherhand is the right approach towards this.

Antvasima said:
12000 hours of work on my part to build this community into a friendly and collaborative place, and the Discord group decides to systematically dismantle it in any way they can, including by using Fandom as a weapon, even though the Discord people are nearly as far from politically correct as possible themselves.
How are you blaming the Discord group now? They've been banned for over a week. We should be telling people to not misquote actual quotes. Kami didn't use the hard R like Kep did. We need to watch what we say and quote to avoid this in the future since we know where Fandom's stance lies.

We also shouldn't bash Fandom like Ryukama has said. Just a week ago we were praising them for their handling of the Discord group in regards to toxicity. We're being toxic by bashing them and this could potentially lead to a real destabilization of the wiki. Everyone calm down.

I wouldn't say we're lashing out. Some people also made it seem like saying anything at all was bad. Yes, keep it civil, that is important. No one can disagree with that,.

Oh jeez. Assalt, man, you were a great guy. And Kep was a good dude too. I can't... I just.... oh my god. This is awful. I just... I feel like an ant. An ant in the shadow of a giant hiking boot. Just waiting for it to fall.

This month has been tough for the wiki. When will it stop? Or rather, who's next?

Hi guys I know what Fandom did was complete BS but I think calming down a but is the right thing to do we don't wanna prove them right that this community is toxic after all

I do agree with Ryu, Dragon, and Ant...but a script censoring people destroys Freedom of Speech. There's nothing constructive about it.

Oh well, I know how to handle situations like these.

CynicalWeeaboo said:
the cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy in this thread is ironic.
That is somethings you'll se anywhere. It's human nature. Pointing it out just adds fuel to the fire.

Js250476 said:
Hi guys I know what Fandom did was complete BS but I think calming down a but is the right thing to do we don't wanna prove them right that this community is toxic after all
Too late going by this thread and chat...

Matthew Schroeder said:
I'm tired of FANDOM as well. I feel that the only way Vsbattles csn thrive and prosper in the future is to move to a domain where we'll have greater control and liberty.
I am seconding Matt's opnions. There are a a number of sites that hardly have the amount riducilous stuff that we have to tolerate from FANDOM.

I know there's a bit of a gray area since Kep didn't quote for quote get what was said right. And he used the hard R as opposed to the A variant that Kami used.

While this is an unfortunate mess up on Kep's part, I definitely do not think it's worth a ban. Since while he may have gotten the quote wrong, he still was not directly calling someone this word or using it in a derogatory, racist sense. The context of Kep's comment still isn't hateful, even if it was erroneous.

If I said, "Bob called someone an asshole" when in reality Bob called someone an ass, the fact remains that I myself still wasn't directly calling anyone an asshole or using the word asshole in a derogatory sense. Even if I failed to properly quote Bob and used a harsher word in my mistaken quote.

Regardless I respect all opinions of this matter and definitely do not support bashing on either side.

@Matt and @Dargoo

I will see see if I can use those pages Darkanine linked by tomorrow, if I get any success, I will warn you guys, okay?

Probably will make a thread on my own, and yeah, limiting what we can say is utter BS by Fandom part, is literally s.j.w by now

Antvasima said:
A Discord member messaged Assaltwaffle with a gloating SWAT threat after this happened, so it bears to reason that you were the ones who reported Kepekley.
What? Just because they messaged =/= claiming responsibility.

Jobbo said:
Has Fandom ever even promised us free speech?
Of course not, but if they started randomly banning everyone with an e in their name we wouldn't be fine with it because they never promised us free speech.

I want to bring my take on this.

While I do respect your opinion and I will defend your every right to say your opinion, I do NOT respect the actions you do as a result of your opinions, especially if that action is disrespecting another person's right to state their opinion, in this case being Kep.

I love how FANDOM doesn't even try to give a warning before they give a ban. I mean, even if you're gonna ignore the context, you should atleast give the person warning so that they would know what to do and what not to do.

Also, I want to say this as well: spreading outrage and toxicity in responce to this does no justice, nor does it do anything productive whatsoever. We need to calm down, take a breath, and decide what our next step is, which should either be a peaceful protest of this act, a community-written complaint, even as far what Matt and I are suggesting.

Dargoo Faust said:
Also, I want to say this as well: spreading outrage and toxicity in responce to this does no justice, nor does it do anything productive whatsoever. We need to calm down, take a breath, and decide what our next step is, which should either be a peaceful protest of this act, a community-written complaint, even as far what Matt and I are suggesting.
^^^

I'm not sure why everyone seems to expect FANDOM to treat them special- every large company that has forums or the like does the same thing with a blanket ban on certain words or phrases.

You simply do not use slurs, even in heat or quotes. FANDOM and every other entity cannot begin the slippery slope of making exceptions to blanket rules like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back