• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

I'm referring to direct statements rather than power scaling, Deku struggling to cross a few hundred miles is one thing, we can cope with that anti-feat, but the manga stating an exact number would be a completely different matter.
If my memory serves me correctly, he struggled to cross those few hundred miles because he could only propel himself by storing the kinetic energy of his finger smashes into Fajin and propelling himself via the shockwaves, which are a lot weaker than his actual punches and kicks.

Even if he did have access to 100% of One for All to propel him forward, the fact that he doesn't have any land to travel on would drastically hinder his velocity. And you have to factor in air resistance too, since it plays a huge role in aerodynamics when it comes to velocity, even for humans flying faster than the speed of sound via superpowers.

I'm referring to direct statements rather than power scaling, Deku struggling to cross a few hundred miles is one thing, we can cope with that anti-feat, but the manga stating an exact number would be a completely different matter.
This is a travel speed feat and across a large distance of a few hundred miles, Deku struggling to traverse a few hundred miles in a few seconds doesn't have much correlation to how fast he'd be able to move a few hundred feet

I'm not sure if this calc was accepted or not (and to be honest I really don't care either) but if this was accurate, traveling across 200 kilometers at mach 300 doesn't correlate to how fast Deku would be moving across a few hundred feet
Even if he did have access to 100% of One for All to propel him forward, the fact that he doesn't have any land to travel on would drastically hinder his velocity.
Eeeeehhhhh not sure I entirely agree with this....All Might and Deku when he fought Overhaul (when he had Eri) haven't shown much issue kicking off the air and flying around....would it be preferably to have actual land to propel off of? Probably but not sure how much of a hinderance it'd be

A lot of this is worthless since "Author Intent" is nothing more than people assuming they know what the author thinks.

Horikoshi himself has given out little to no statements that say a certain character is this fast or strong and likely never will. If such statements are given in universe, feats > statements and will be ignored. The same holds true for Word of God statements as well. However like I said, there are no such statements.

Considering both of the data books released have contradictions about character stats (Endeavor being stronger/faster than Hood). I doubt Horikoshi gives a damn about precise power scaling. Only basic things like who is stronger/faster than who, but the actual gap would be unknown and vary depending on how he feels.

Endeavor is weaker than All Might, but by how much? Sometimes it seems vast as if there is no comparison, other times Endeavor is comparable but noticeably weaker.

Not saying this is true, but for example if Horikoshi or the story stated Gear Shift Izuku is faster than All Might since he can move faster than sound.

That would be ignored. All Might was able to bounce around in the air and travel a large distance at Mach speed. Traveling from Tokyo to Osaka, which is a distance around 490+ km. Assuming All Might is only Mach 1 that'd take him around 24 minutes to arrive, which is clearly not how long he took.

Izuku should travel even better at 100% since he could use Float which would get rid of his weight and make him move faster.

He started to get there at the end of the chapter and arrived at the beginning of the next chapter. It was stated that only a few minutes passed since the start and end of Hood's fight. Meaning All Might took a few minutes to arrive at the most, it'd be less since he didn't instantly move when the fight with Hood started.

So Gear Shift Izuku being faster than sound is not impressive.

Last edited:
Horikoshi himself has given out no statements that say character is this fast or strong and likely never will.
Of course not, this is one way authors keep their work relevant, by keeping people talking about it, debating it.

Authors not specifically going into detail is the only thing keeping sites like this alive

They know exactly what they're doing

Author's intention 💀
WfttP8h.png

How vulnerable is the jaw compared to the solar plexus? Since 8% was also knocked out but was punched in the solar plexus not to mention Compress was heavily weakened by his injury
The jaw is allegedly the weakest part of the body, so Mr. Compress could scale to 8% Deku’s durability since he could withstand a punch from a Mirio in an even weaker spot and maintain some consciousness, even while injured, meanwhile 8% Deku was knocked out

As long as Horikoshi never gives statements of anti-feats, it's fine. Otherwise it will be another JJK where people think characters are hypersonic at least in reactions only to get Mach 3.

Should Mr. Compress get High 8-C+ durability for withstanding a punch to the jaw from Mirio?
No. Mirio can easily just not be hitting him with his full power, especially when Mr. Compress has fatal wounds and Mirio is a hero who won't kill and wants to save. Not only that but Mr. Compress has High 8-C dura and taking a hit from Mirio doesn't mean he has to scale. He can take a hit and remain conscious without scaling.

The gap between them isn't that large.

As long as Horikoshi never gives statements of anti-feats, it's fine. Otherwise it will be another JJK where people think characters are hypersonic at least in reactions only to get Mach 3.
To be fair outside of mega wank and power scaling, most characters would likely be in that range too....if you take things at face value there's no reason for me to ever think Luffy or Asta etc would ever be more than hypersonic-ish at least in terms of movement speed...especially when the former lives in a world where people are running around with flintlock pistols and one of the main characters using a glorified slingshot as a weapon

In the powerscaling realm and on the internet, JJK is definitely a victim of circumstances with author statement (not author intention or some other arbitrary nonsense) but mach 3 isn't necessarily terrible compared to other series depending on how much powerscaling wankadoodles is being done.

At least solely for the fact that most characters aren't zipping across the planet in 10 seconds....I was reading a thread about Black Clover and how Licht is supposedly as fast as light but then takes several chapters to traverse what appears to be a few hundred miles ....of course Licht was stated on panel to be as fast as light (albeit because he can teleport) , so either the author is suffering some serious cognitive dissonance or face value takes priority ....I'm going with the latter theory

Let's be careful about talking about other series on a My Hero Academia thread.

Especially for me since I'm planning on watching these shows in the future and would like to not be spoiled on them.

I'm still pissed about being spoiled about a character's death while I was in another MHA thread. So I'm iffy with hearing things from other series right now.

I don't want anyone else to be spoiled as this isn't the thread for it, so I won't say what exactly. And just for safety.

It was indeed Chainsaw Man. I'm really looking forward to binging the anime when the season ends and continuing with the manga.

Please don't speak of this outside of this spoiler tag. Even if it isn't explicit. This is a MHA thread not a Chainsaw Man thread or whatever.

As I said, I still haven't watch the series yet.

I don't want anyone else to be spoiled as this isn't the thread for it, so I won't say what exactly. And just for safety.

It was indeed Chainsaw Man. I'm really looking forward to binging the anime when the season ends and continuing with the manga.

Please don't speak of this outside of this spoiler tag. Even if it isn't explicit. This is a MHA thread not a Chainsaw Man thread or whatever.

Damn man, my condolences. I hope you can still enjoy the series once you start watching it despite the spoiler

How vulnerable is the jaw compared to the solar plexus? Since 8% was also knocked out but was punched in the solar plexus not to mention Compress was heavily weakened by his injury
You can take a hit to the jaw and "soften" the blow with various methods.

You can't exactly soften the blow when you take a hit in the solar plexus, especially mid fight. That will take you out quick, especially if you've been fighting for a good bit.

Idk why but people in youtube comments are trying their hardest to spoil characters lol

To be fair outside of mega wank and power scaling, most characters would likely be in that range too....if you take things at face value there's no reason for me to ever think Luffy or Asta etc would ever be more than hypersonic-ish at least in terms of movement speed...especially when the former lives in a world where people are running around with flintlock pistols and one of the main characters using a glorified slingshot as a weapon

In the powerscaling realm and on the internet, JJK is definitely a victim of circumstances with author statement (not author intention or some other arbitrary nonsense) but mach 3 isn't necessarily terrible compared to other series depending on how much powerscaling wankadoodles is being done.

At least solely for the fact that most characters aren't zipping across the planet in 10 seconds....I was reading a thread about Black Clover and how Licht is supposedly as fast as light but then takes several chapters to traverse what appears to be a few hundred miles ....of course Licht was stated on panel to be as fast as light (albeit because he can teleport) , so either the author is suffering some serious cognitive dissonance or face value takes priority ....I'm going with the latter theory
With Black Clover and One Piece light users, it's usually powerscalers that take the author's intent out of context at least with regard to movement speed. Both Kizaru and Litch have specific techniques explicitly said to be Lightspeed and faster than their other techniques but people just label their entire moveset as Lightspeed.

Real talk, "sound waves" being FTL isn't too crazy in a fictional setting provided there is an actual explanation for it.
We really never get that with Apoo as far as I know. He's just the funny music villain with a really punchable face.
He's FTL because that's where the scaling of One Piece has brought itself in and he just has to be.

In comparison, though it's been over a year or more since I read it, but Black Clover actually has magical light that's faster than light, and at least that was explicitly stated IIRC.

I actually like that the heroes plan failed, it shows that in a war, not everything goes according to plan. When AFO inevitably gets to Shigaraki, I imagine Bakugo will wake up and Shoto will also arrive to help, we may see a huge battle between the Big 3 and an even stronger Shigaraki

I don’t know what normies are talking about, this war is pretty exciting

They are too busy crying and coping at the fact that Deku can actually uses his powers, the thing he has been training for through out the series.

Honestly, so far Deku is the most exciting he has been in the entire series, and other characters are in the same way, where they have more shine now then anything they have done before.

Finally MHA starts presenting itself with strong attacks, abilities, and amazing fights in the latter half and suddenly people don't like it? They can stop reading for all I care tbh.

They are too busy crying and coping at the fact that Deku can actually uses his powers, the thing he has been training for through out the series.

Honestly, so far Deku is the most exciting he has been in the entire series, and other characters are in the same way, where they have more shine now then anything they have done before.

Finally MHA starts presenting itself with strong attacks, abilities, and amazing fights in the latter half and suddenly people don't like it? They can stop reading for all I care tbh.
I read that it's mostly due to certain creative decisions that Horikoshi had made leading up to this, though I'm not exactly sure what...

I actually like that the heroes plan failed, it shows that in a war, not everything goes according to plan. When AFO inevitably gets to Shigaraki, I imagine Bakugo will wake up and Shoto will also arrive to help, we may see a huge battle between the Big 3 and an even stronger Shigaraki

Literally no part of this war has been a miss except for the Bakugo fake-out that last for 3 chapters before Hori immediately said “no that’s not how he dies”, I simply do not understand a lot of the criticisms.

Weekly format ***** up MHA imo. You have these fool readers who hear about leaks and create their own weird ass stories but never read the actual manga, or you have people that read it but don’t understand or remember shit that happened 2 chapters back saying shit like “Isn’t Gang Orca dead?”
Well no surprise there, the anime has to remind each episode about characters quirks even if their the main character lmao
Their brain capacity is lower than Kaminaris after he fries his brain

Weekly format ***** up MHA imo. You have these fool readers who hear about leaks and create their own weird ass stories but never read the actual manga, or you have people that read it but don’t understand or remember stuff that happened 2 chapters back saying shit like “Isn’t Gang Orca dead?”
Reminds me of someone in last chapter's thread asking who the weather woman was when she just appeared 1 chapter before.

Some people really have poor information retainment even for skim readers. Like I skim read a lot of other manga/Manhwa/manhua and I am never so lost as to not recognize a character I saw literally 1 chapter before especially when they have a distinctive design.

And compared to manga like One Piece and HxH, MHA usually has lesser panels and lesser information and lately, even lesser pages. But some people still seem to struggle even with a 9 page chapter.

Well no surprise there, the anime has to remind each episode about characters quirks even if their the main character lmao
Their brain capacity is lower than Kaminaris after he fries his brain
I swear the amount of people who don’t understand how Rewind and some freaking how don’t understand how OFA works makes me want to scream.

I swear the amount of people who don’t understand how Rewind and some freaking how don’t understand how OFA works makes me want to scream.
Oh God, this reminded me of the one time when someone questioned how All Might can be as strong as he is because they though he only had the muscle strength of 7 other people😭

Back