• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Why do we use Deku saying “a howitzer shot is nothing compared to this!” with Nagant’s bullets when the raw Japanese says something completely different (not mentioning artillery anywhere) and there’s a much more safer calc in using the time her bullet hit the building in front of Deku? And the other times it hits the other buildings.

”She could be using varying degrees of power—“

We’re shown what she looks like when she dramatically increases her firing speed and strength, her entire arm bulks up several times in size, so…
Doesn't matter.

No normal bullet is capable of generating enough momentum to cancel the momentum of a supersonic superhuman such as Deku. In order to do so, they'd have to be going ludicrously fast. This is basic physics.

Regardless, where did you get the idea that the raw's never mentioned anything about it having a howitzer's level of power? If I recall, it's literally in the kanji.

Doesn't matter.

No normal bullet is capable of generating enough momentum to cancel the momentum of a supersonic superhuman such as Deku. In order to do so, they'd have to be going ludicrously fast. This is basic physics.

Regardless, where did you get the idea that the raw's never mentioned anything about it having a howitzer's level of power? If I recall, it's literally in the kanji.
We have no idea how fast Deku was going. In the first place, he had just barely began moving and was hanging to the side of a building looking at his destroyed phone and coming up with a plan. It’s not like he was going full speed ahead right away. No shockwaves unlike the other times he does.

The raws never mention a howitzer nor artillery. They say ”high angle fire”, or something like that. Which does not mean artillery.

Pretty sure he's talking about Aoyama's laser, and Tooru jumping between Izuku and Aoyama to catch it and bend it with her light refraction.

However Aoyama's Navel Laser isn't accepted as being Lightspeed here.

Pretty sure he's talking about Aoyama's laser, and Tooru jumping between Izuku and Aoyama to catch it and bend it with her light refraction.

However Aoyama's Navel Laser isn't accepted as being Lightspeed here.
Even if it was lightspeed, we never saw Naval Laser travelling and Toru getting in front of it was completely offscreen, so we have no idea when she jumped in the way. So it’d be too vague to even consider a feat even if true.

It is pointless to discuss laser feats in MHA when they will never be accepted unless Horikoshi himself writes it into the story that certain attacks are Lightspeed.

They say ”high angle fire”,
The high-angle fire actually refers to artillery shells that have an elevation higher than 45 degrees vertically. Which the United States classifies as a Howitzer. At the very least, the implications you have from this is that Nagant's bullets pack more of a punch than artillery shells, regardless of whether or not Deku is specifically referring to a howitzer.

We have no idea how fast Deku was going. In the first place, he had just barely began moving and was hanging to the side of a building looking at his destroyed phone and coming up with a plan. It’s not like he was going full speed ahead right away. No shockwaves unlike the other times he does.
You're telling me that a character who can vaporize metal with sheer movement speed, dodge bullets, even a fraction of his power, and blow of city blocks with sheer air pressure, wouldn't be able to move at supersonic speeds with little to no difficulty?

Are you serious?

Even in a straight horizontal line, in which Deku doesn't have to worry about many obstacles concerning his speed or acceleration, you're telling me he'd struggle going faster than sound mid-air? Especially when a vastly weaker Deku (at 15-20% Full Cowling) can do things marginally more impressive than what you're describing his speed to be here as?

My brother in Christ, this is a person who could flick his fingers and the resulting shock wave would obliterate several tons worth of steel and concrete. I don't think it's wrong to assume he's traveling supersonically here.

My brother in Christ, this is a person who could flick his fingers and the resulting shock wave would obliterate several tons worth of steel and concrete. I don't think it's wrong to assume he's traveling supersonically here.
Edgeshot has a confirmed transforming speed of over Mach 1 (as Stated in his quirk description). And 45% is a top tier of the verse, far superior to Edgeshot

Do we have a statement that puts 45% higher than Edgeshot? Is there anything that compares the two speed to each other at all?

I don't think Edgeshot scales to Izuku or vice versa. We'll need more information. Yeah 45% Izuku is scaling above what Edgeshot does, but that's because he lacks scaling. I don't even believe Re-Destro landed a solid hit on Edgeshot, and he was only injured from the massive AOE of his attacks.

Though future chapters will give him a solid rating.

Note: I'm not saying that Izuku is only this or whatever speed, I don't care about that. I'm only talking about Edgeshot and 45%.

Do we have a statement that puts 45% higher than Edgeshot? Is there anything that compares the two speed to each other at all?

I don't think Edgeshot scales to Izuku or vice versa. We'll need more information. Yeah 45% Izuku is scaling above what Edgeshot does, but that's because he lacks scaling. I don't even believe Re-Destro landed a solid hit on Edgeshot, and he was only injured from the massive AOE of his attacks.

Though future chapters will give him a solid rating.

Note: I'm not saying that Izuku is only this or whatever speed, I don't care about that. I'm only talking about Edgeshot and 45%.
Fair enough, jus thought it’d be odd that 45% Deku, who scales to around the level of HR AM and AFO, would be slower given AFO perfectly reacts to all of Edgeshot’ transformations (the anime gives us a better sense of time but it happens in the manga as well)

I just noticed this on Deku's profile

"and he even managed to endure the pain of untreated bullet wounds for about a month"

How did he not manage to get an infection or anything like that? This sounds like low level regen to me
Yeah, that kind of shit hurts. Trust me, I would know.

everyone will hate me for this...again
I recalced Deku's speed feat 5%
I already put it in the "Calculation Evaluations forum" but since they always take a long time to see them (or they don't see it directly) I put it here too
Now write why it is invalid and why I wasted more than a day of my life on this (I am very slow to do things)

Last edited:
I recalculated Deku's speed feat 5%
I already put it in the "Calculation Evaluations forum" but since they always take a long time to see them (or they don't see it directly) I put it here too
There is actually no need to use Izuku or anyone as a measuring stick/scale for this type of feat. If you have the bullet speed, and can measure the distance traveled by both in pixels. You don't need to know how many meters/centimeters that is. Translating the px to m to cm doesn't change anything.

Distance Izuku Moved to Dodge Bullet = 343.63 px

Distance Bullet Moved = 140.47 px

Just find the percentage increase/decrease between them, I like to use this calculator. 140.47 to 343.63 is an increase of 144.62874635153 percent.

Now all you do is increase the bullet speed (960 m/s) by 144.62874635153%.

Speed = 960 + 144.62874635153% = 2348.4359 m/s

The same result, except we didn't pixel scale someone's height and translate the pixels into m/cm. Doesn't change anything to do it either way, not a knock against your calc. The difference between your calc and Therefir doesn't come from the person you used to scale.

It's simple error, I can do the same thing and I'll most likely get a slightly different result from you both as well. Even if I used the same method as you both. Since the difference could be video quality, maybe it was something with the program you use, or maybe it was some unknown human error.

Basically the calcs are the same, and slight differences in pixel scaling are what is changing the results. Not who you used as a measuring stick, that's why both of your results are very close together. 2400 m/s and 2348 m/s, around a 2% difference between them.

The high-angle fire actually refers to artillery shells that have an elevation higher than 45 degrees vertically. Which the United States classifies as a Howitzer. At the very least, the implications you have from this is that Nagant's bullets pack more of a punch than artillery shells, regardless of whether or not Deku is specifically referring to a howitzer.

You're telling me that a character who can vaporize metal with sheer movement speed, dodge bullets, even a fraction of his power, and blow of city blocks with sheer air pressure, wouldn't be able to move at supersonic speeds with little to no difficulty?

Are you serious?

Even in a straight horizontal line, in which Deku doesn't have to worry about many obstacles concerning his speed or acceleration, you're telling me he'd struggle going faster than sound mid-air? Especially when a vastly weaker Deku (at 15-20% Full Cowling) can do things marginally more impressive than what you're describing his speed to be here as?

You’re assuming that its referring to artillery. Source that it’s referring to artillery?

Yes. Because “vaporise metal and blow city blocks away” is at a much higher level of power. And just because he can do that, doesn’t mean he’s moving at full strength at all times. He literally spends 4 full panels hanging in the same spot before Nagant’s bullet reaches him. He was debating on running away, not going to her.

Edgeshot has a confirmed transforming speed of over Mach 1 (as Stated in his quirk description). And 45% is a top tier of the verse, far superior to Edgeshot
“Transforming speed” is not “attacking speed”.

Either way we have no idea how Edgeshot scales to Deku.

I just noticed this on Deku's profile

"and he even managed to endure the pain of untreated bullet wounds for about a month"

How did he not manage to get an infection or anything like that? This sounds like low level regen to me
He had bandages underneath his arm bands, so they were treated. That should probably be removed.

You’re assuming that its referring to artillery. Source that it’s referring to artillery?
With the way the kanji is interpreted, you could say that high-angle fire and howitzer shells are pretty much interchangeable. A howitzer would actually be classified as a high-angle fire due to its elevation height of around 45 degrees. I quote from Wikipedia, "Current U.S. military doctrine defines howitzers as any cannon artillery capable of both high-angle (45° to 90° elevation) and low-angle (0° to 45° elevation) fire; guns are defined as being only capable of low-angle fire (0° to 45° elevation), and mortars are defined as being only capable of high-angle fire (45° to 90)."

TLDR; any mention of high angle fire is going to be classified as howitzers. End of the story, this isn't up for debate.

And just because he can do that, doesn’t mean he’s moving at full strength at all times. He literally spends 4 full panels hanging in the same spot before Nagant’s bullet reaches him. He was debating on running away, not going to her.
Even Deku at 20% is capable of moving faster than sound, he's vastly, marginally weaker than anything 45% Deku has showcased. Are you really trying to explain to me that it'd be difficult for this iteration of Deku to be faster than sound? Or at least, it'd be difficult for him to do so? Why would he be incapable of maintaining a speed that he'd usually be capable of maintaining fairly easily for long durations of time?

It'd be ridiculous to assume that Deku would be going at a fraction of the speed of sound, especially when characters who are much slower than him to the point that he could blitz him, can break the sound barrier in an instant. Any attempt at assuming otherwise would just be headcanon at play.

Your source literally says they’re two different words, high angle fire (which is what I said) is the correct one. Howitzer is never said. Just because they share kanji due to being similar in nature (you know, ANGLES) does not mean the exact same word is being used or implied.

Midoriya is bringing up high angle fire due to the fact that is Nagant’s whole thing; angling her shots. What happens when you shoot a bullet up? It comes down, at an angle. The different is Nagant’s bullets still hit like a truck.

”Even 20% Deku is capable of moving faster than sound”

This still does not mean he’s moving at that speed at all times, especially when he’s casually retrieving his broken phone and hanging in place. Again, he spends 4 panels in the exact same spot on the same side of a building. Deku is apparently comparable to Nagant’s bullets yet he can’t even cross around 15m in the time it took for Nagant’s shot to cross 2km, assuming Deku is actually putting effort into his speed there like you’re assuming he is. Doesn’t seem consistent.

”especially when characters who are much slower than him to the point that he could blitz him, can break the sound barrier in an instant” Citation needed lmao.

Also: “and he even managed to endure the pain of untreated bullet wounds for about a month" should be removed from Deku’s stamina on his profile. It’s a headcanon, and we see he was bandaged up during the mansion raid.

Also: “and he even managed to endure the pain of untreated bullet wounds for about a month" should be removed from Deku’s stamina on his profile. It’s a headcanon, and we see he was bandaged up during the mansion raid.
His profile is unlocked, you can remove it if you want

Your source literally says they’re two different words, high angle fire (which is what I said) is the correct one. Howitzer is never said. Just because they share kanji due to being similar in nature (you know, ANGLES) does not mean the exact same word is being used or implied.
"Current U.S. military doctrine defines howitzers as any cannon artillery capable of both high-angle (45° to 90° elevation) and low-angle (0° to 45° elevation) fire; guns are defined as being only capable of low-angle fire (0° to 45° elevation), and mortars are defined as being only capable of high-angle fire (45° to 90)."

In case you missed it, the term howitzer and high-angle fire are literally considered the same definition by the United States military. High-angle fire is just a term used to describe howitzers and their elevation levels. Like, I don't get it. The wording between these words is so similar that they practically share some of the same kanji, and best of all, the United States military defines the term howitzer as something capable of high-angle fire.

I'm seriously convinced that you haven't even bothered reading my argument all the way.

Midoriya is bringing up high angle fire due to the fact that is Nagant’s whole thing; angling her shots. What happens when you shoot a bullet up? It comes down, at an angle. The different is Nagant’s bullets still hit like a truck.
Ah, yes! As if Deku himself would magically know which angle these bullets were fired at! Why did I not consider such a possibility before??? 😒

Just because the gun is angled a certain way, doesn't mean it should be classified as high-angle fire. Any bullet can be fired from a certain angle and decrease in elevation. The difference between that and high-angle fire is that the military only uses the term officially as a way to describe howitzers. A type of artillery shell. You don't see the term high-angle fire used for just any type of bullet out there.

This still does not mean he’s moving at that speed at all times, especially when he’s casually retrieving his broken phone and hanging in place. Again, he spends 4 panels in the exact same spot on the same side of a building. Deku is apparently comparable to Nagant’s bullets yet he can’t even cross around 15m in the time it took for Nagant’s shot to cross 2km, assuming Deku is actually putting effort into his speed there like you’re assuming he is. Doesn’t seem consistent.
If Deku wanted to, he could travel measly several meters in a literal millisecond if he wanted. Why would he struggle to maintain a supersonic speed just by attempting to pick up a broken phone from a few meters away? A supersonic character could easily cover that distance in milliseconds. Once again, this is a person who could flick his finger and he would create shock waves.

Do you honestly think that someone like that would struggle to maintain such a speed?

I ask of you, why would Deku struggle with maintaining a speed that he'd be capable of casually maintaining even on a bad day? It makes no sense for a guy who can sprint kilometers in seconds to suddenly struggle with moving at supersonic speeds.

What reason do you have that proves that Deku wouldn't be consistently moving at supersonic speeds in a situation where getting from point A to point B is his top priority?

”especially when characters who are much slower than him to the point that he could blitz him, can break the sound barrier in an instant” Citation needed lmao.
Gran Torino is explicitly shown to generate Mach cones, and Deku would be capable of outspending him in every sense of the word fairly easily.

Iida is also capable of generating vapor cones and traveling faster than sound.

Even ******* 5% Deku is capable of traveling over a dozen and a half meters in a fraction of a second.

The fact that Deku when using 45% of his power is blatantly faster than any past incarnation of his power (excluding 100%) along with being capable of outspending Gran Torino in every sense of the word fairly easily while also being implied to be in a completely different league of speed compared to Iida is just laughable at this point.

Do I have to explain this to you with 50 pages worth of context to get you to understand this? This is common sense...

“literally considered the same definition by the United States military.”

Huh. Didn’t know Deku was in the military. Or American.

Again. Saying a bullet being fired from an angle is not the same as saying this bullet is as strong as a howitzer. Howitzer is never said. Your own source debunked you. That’s the end of it.

Deku KNOWS Nagant’s main skill, the flashback to Snipe literally shows us him recounting it, and he literally WATCHED THE BULLET ANGLE ITSELF AROUND THE BUILDING. Lmao. The bullet was above Deku and came down at him, sending him flying back with force way stronger than what an angled bullet should be outputting, prompting Deku to say that it’s “nothing like high angle fire!”. Nowhere does he mention howitzers. You’re inventing howitzer ghosts where none exist.

So “hypersonic Deku” couldn’t cross 15m before Nagant’s “hypersonic bullets” could cross 2km? Got it. Because that’s what you’re implying by saying Deku was putting actual effort and speed into jumping to a nearby building to plan for a moment and they both began moving at the same time.

When did Torino make a Mach cone in the manga?

When did Iida make Vapor cones or go supersonic in the manga?

What “feat” are you referring to with 5% here?

Again, just because he’s at 30-45%, does not mean he’s operating at full strength and speed at all times, just like how All Might isn’t always operating at 100%. A literal plot point of the series.

You don’t need to explain anything, because you are simply wrong. Your own source debunked you and you haven’t shown the pages to prove these “Vapor” and “Mach cones” feats. And even if you did show all of them, it’s irrelevant, because Deku does not need to be moving at those speeds at all times especially when he’s not even dodging anything, merely jumping to a nearby building to plan while casually picking up a Phone.

You don’t need to explain anything, because you are simply wrong. Your own source debunked you and you haven’t shown the pages to prove these “Vapor” and “Mach cones” feats. And even if you did show all of them, it’s irrelevant, because Deku does not need to be moving at those speeds at all times especially when he’s not even dodging anything, merely jumping to a nearby building to plan while casually picking up a Phone.
You can't pay me to deal with this bullshit anymore.

I'm done with this.

“literally considered the same definition by the United States military.”

Huh. Didn’t know Deku was in the military. Or American.

Again. Saying a bullet being fired from an angle is not the same as saying this bullet is as strong as a howitzer. Howitzer is never said. Your own source debunked you. That’s the end of it.

Deku KNOWS Nagant’s main skill, the flashback to Snipe literally shows us him recounting it, and he literally WATCHED THE BULLET ANGLE ITSELF AROUND THE BUILDING. Lmao. The bullet was above Deku and came down at him, sending him flying back with force way stronger than what an angled bullet should be outputting, prompting Deku to say that it’s “nothing like high angle fire!”. Nowhere does he mention howitzers. You’re inventing howitzer ghosts where none exist.

So “hypersonic Deku” couldn’t cross 15m before Nagant’s “hypersonic bullets” could cross 2km? Got it. Because that’s what you’re implying by saying Deku was putting actual effort and speed into jumping to a nearby building to plan for a moment and they both began moving at the same time.

When did Torino make a Mach cone in the manga?

When did Iida make Vapor cones or go supersonic in the manga?

What “feat” are you referring to with 5% here?

Again, just because he’s at 30-45%, does not mean he’s operating at full strength and speed at all times, just like how All Might isn’t always operating at 100%. A literal plot point of the series.

Torino is faster than his own voice. If that isn't a way to show he is faster than sound then I don't know what is. He literally outspeeds his speech boxes/voice and appears behind Deku when his voice/words are in front of Deku.

Back