• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Honestly if Deku gets a good ranged attack that he can mix with his other quirks than he’ll be ridiculous.

We also have to realize that he needs a Quirk that can let him stand up to Shiggy’s evolved Akira Hand Move. So what better way than beyond the range of the hands?

Please Hori make the Quirk good and strong, it’s the last one, it can be busted, it’s fine.

Honestly if Deku gets a good ranged attack that he can mix with his other quirks than he’ll be ridiculous.

We also have to realize that he needs a Quirk that can let him stand up to Shiggy’s evolved Akira Hand Move. So what better way than beyond the range of the hands?

Please Hori make the Quirk good and strong, it’s the last one, it can be busted, it’s fine.
If it’s busted it begs the question of why he hasn’t been spamming it. I feel like there’s some sort of draw back even if it’s super strong

Me hoping a random High-End appears and prevents Deku from leaving.

Me hoping Shigaraki actually kills someone important.

The stakes are low, in the last war no one important died unless you count Midnight and Shigaraki is not frightening at all despite being called the greatest villain in history.

When Black Whip was introduced, I was thinking full Venom.

Black Whip Full Body Suit

Black Whip Nets and other constructs like Venom.

Covering objects with OFA infused Black Whip to raise their durability allowing Deku to use weapons.

Reducing the width of the whip to thread size or even smaller to make ambushing opponents easier, make more complex structures, and cut stuff with it.

Using Black Whip internally to replace the function of tendons and ligaments. He already reinforced his bones with it in war arc so surely he can do it to tendons and ligaments since they are Deku's main weakness preventing him from 100%

All in all, Black Whip has endless possibilities.

On this war, the main thing I want from Shigaraki is for him to finally get free of AFO's shackles at least before the final battle. That's why I'm hoping for 2 Shigaraki fights: the current one where AFO is clearly still an influence, and a final one where it's purely Shigaraki vs Deku without the influence of AFO's vestige.

Shigaraki just hasn't been the same in terms of impact after AFO infested his mind. Sure he got stronger but he lost the insane vibe he used to have back in like MVA and early war arc.

Also Hori has done almost like 6 war setup chapters now so I'm hoping from now on the battle actually starts and we get one fight from beginning to end sort of how Mirko vs High-ends kicked off the War arc.

The stakes are low, in the last war no one important died unless you count Midnight and Shigaraki is not frightening at all despite being called the greatest villain in history.
Bakugo is literally about to swap hands with one of the strongest people in the verse, and you're telling me the stakes aren't high enough? You're saying this as if the possibility of All for One taking over Japan and triumphing over the heroes isn't 50/50.

Todoroki, Bakugo, and Deku could lose their lives at any given moment in confrontation with their designated opponents. I'd honestly be surprised if Deku would end up surviving his battle with Shigaraki without any long-lasting damage honestly.

How can there be any stakes for Deku when he already told us that he became the greatest hero? Even worse, we now have Bakugo himself narrating an event that at this point it's impossible for him to know is happening.

This doesn't ensure the survival of other characters, but Horikoshi has proven time and again to be a coward when it comes to killing off important characters, and I have no reason to be worried now in this final arc.

Horikoshi directly confirming the manga will have a happy ending doesn't help much either.

Is it too early to think that Deku will never battle a High-End in the manga and that we will never know how it would actually go?

Horikoshi directly confirming the manga will have a happy ending doesn't help much either.
A happy ending doesn't equate to Deku curb-stomping Shigaraki, to the point that the heroes won't have to worry about winning the war. High stakes just mean that shit is about to go down and there's a lot at risk here. There's nothing within that definition that says, "a character must die in order for this scenario to become extremely dramatic!"

Just no. Not even close.

Barely anyone at U.A has ******* died, and guess what? There are several events and arcs which revolve around U.A and its characters, of which are solely remembered for having some of the highest stakes in the series. Not because of how many characters' death went down, but because of the dramatic effect that it had on the plot, narrative, and characters, as well as the consequences.

It's too early to be judging this arc anyways. Your impatience to see Deku swapping hands with Shigaraki and pretty much any character throwing hands with someone comparable to them is notable at least. I'll give you that...

How can there be any stakes for Deku when he already told us that he became the greatest hero? Even worse, we now have Bakugo himself narrating an event that at this point it's impossible for him to know is happening.
I'll elaborate on my thoughts about this as well;

According to your logic, the fact that Deku would become the greatest hero means that high-stakes don't exist. This is ridiculous, if not downright fallacious, because, for half of the series, Deku has been through several encounters which have had a ridiculous amount of tension within them. Just because we know that he'll eventually achieve his goal, doesn't mean that he'd accomplish it easily.

Apart from dark and edgy manga like AOT, which shonen can you even say end without the MC fulfilling their goals. Some of these are non-arguments. MHA is a hopeful superhero story so obviously it will have a happy ending. Even when we are reading or watching "dark" superhero stuff like Batman, don't we still expect a happy ending? We do. We know most of the time, Bruce will solve the issue by the end.

MHA is not like the Boys for example where terrible shit happens for terribleness sake.

Even other dark and brutal superhero series like Invincible still had a happy ending for the MC. Despite all the dark shit Mark went through, he still achieved the peak and lived happily with his family apart from those he lost. For example, in MHA even if All Might dies, the story will still have a positive ending.

There's very few stories that genuinely f*ck over the MCs goals at the end. Even in stories where MC's die, they usually achieve their goals (Lelouch).

This doesn't ensure the survival of other characters, but Horikoshi has proven time and again to be a coward when it comes to killing off important characters, and I have no reason to be worried now in this final arc.

I have to ask have you ever watched/read any Shonen or even any sort of prequel? I don’t get how characters not dying equals low stakes.

I have to ask have you ever watched/read any Shonen or even any sort of prequel? I don’t get how characters not dying equals low stakes.
I read plenty of shonen and using the demographic to explain why the main characters won't die is just a bad excuse.

Characters not dying doesn't necessarily mean low stakes (though One Piece does get hurt by this), but after they've survived war after war, it only makes it more apparent that they were never in danger of dying in the first place, and neither are they now.

I'll let the arc flow and see where it goes, but I have a feeling that Hori is making things up as he continues with the story.

And I know they are fighting for the future of their country, but I only care about the characters themselves, not the security of fictional governments and civilians.

Last edited:
Characters not dying doesn't necessarily mean low stakes (though One Piece does get hurt by this), but after they've survived war after war, it only makes it more apparent that they were never in danger of dying, and neither are they now.
No one died at the U.S.J, yet that arc had stakes.

No one died when the villains raided the camp that Deku and co resided on. Yet that arc had stakes.

The same thing could be said with Endeavor's fight with Hood. Endeavor didn't die, but the stakes during that fight were extremely high. High stakes don't necessarily equate to death. Consequences of a character's decision or ideology and vast changes in the story's narrative and characters evolving through traumatic events are what defines "stakes" in the context of a story.

And who's to say no one will die? Leave that up to the author. No one can accurately guess what Horikoshi has planned, let alone perfectly predict who'll die and who'll survive outside of Deku, Bakugo, Todoroki, and maybe Endeavor.

Wait, what stakes did USJ even have when the students were tearing apart the League of Villains and All Might immediately arrived two chapters later?

And still that's exactly my point, they have been in this situation dozens of times and have come out mostly unscathed, what reason do I have to think it will be any different this time?

But to be fair, the manga not having true stakes it's not even a problem, I already know the heroes are going to win (and most of them are going to be fine), I'm here for the spectacle, the battles, the feats, the powers, and the character interactions.

And so far that's all been lame, Deku hasn't thrown a single hit in almost 30 chapters for ****'s sake.

Last edited:
I read plenty of shonen and using the demographic to explain why the main characters won't die is just a bad excuse.

Characters not dying doesn't necessarily mean low stakes (though One Piece does get hurt by this), but after they've survived war after war, it only makes it more apparent that they were never in danger of dying in the first place, and neither are they now.

I'll let the arc flow and see where it goes, but I have a feeling that Hori is making things up as he continues with the story.

And I know they are fighting for the future of their country, but I only care about the characters themselves, not the security of fictional governments and civilians.
So you admit there are stakes but you just don’t care about them is what I’m getting from that last part.

I didn’t use the demographic to explain why they wouldn’t die you misunderstood me. My point was, if characters not dying was such a big deal to you why are you reading Shonen which tend to have happy endings where characters don’t die often. If it’s such a big deal to you I’d expect you’d avoid shows like this but you clearly have something to enjoy if you’ve read several others.

Death doesn't equal high stakes, and I can't agree or understand anyone who thinks it does. As someone who despise any form of death, and doesn't even really like Twice's death despite knowing and understanding why he had to die. People saying death means a good story seem strange to me, I don't want to understand it.

I can already see it now, when no one important dies people will line up to say Horikoshi is a bad author or something. While I can't tell or should tell people what opinions they have. The idea of killing off important characters doesn't sit well with me at all. But hey, like I said an opinion can be whatever you want.

Anyone could tell Izuku wasn't fighting Toga, like how was this even in question at all? He has no business with her, he has something far more important to deal with than some confused angry girl.

Also Izuku didn't let go of Toga, her new weapon is able to cut through his Blackwhip. Izuku wasn't holding her anymore and decided that trying to waste even a second longer here is pointless, he needs to get to Shigaraki right now. Toga's blood sucking weapon things are now rocket propelled or something.

Unless a Nomu gains intelligence and decided to stop him, why should Izuku wasted anymore time on this place than he already has? They clearly have a plan, with the only unexpected surprise being Toga using Twice's blood (They don't know yet) and the Nomu having more Quirks. Which doesn't seem to worry Izuku for likely good reason.

Spoiler Alert from within: Toga isn't going to win, even with Twice's blood and two Nomu her side is going to lose here.

Toga had to meet with Izuku and get her answer, which is what happened. It's also a convenient way of creating tension in the battle, since Bakugo and others are facing Shigaraki without their strongest asset. Izuku needs to travel a vast distance until he can make it back, and we know they cannot defeat him.

I see nothing bad about this, and confused on why it'd be seen as bad. I'm sorry if someone see it as bad and can no longer enjoy something they previously could.

Last edited:
And so far that's all been lame, Deku hasn't thrown a single hit in almost 30 chapters for ****'s sake.

spiderman-missed.gif

Question, do we assume that the fighter squadron that Star and Stripe brought are using something atleast half as powerful as what we have now? (I.E there ”laser” strength and heat)

Question, do we assume that the fighter squadron that Star and Stripe brought are using something atleast half as powerful as what we have now? (I.E there ”laser” strength and heat)
As powerful as what?

Don’t really care if it is or isn’t accepted, just thought it was neat that they could produce so much energy

Their jets are right outside the floating UA so my guess is that if Shigaraki escapes the barrier, they will start blasting. Maybe the laser jets might have more feats we can use to compare.

Back