• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Not so , compress's quirk wouldn't really fit tomura's fighting style. Tomura's decay is already a one touch Hax sort of ability, and tomura isn't the type of character with the exception of dealing with izuku to attempt to capture, and in that case he'd probably just have compress help him with it.

This chapter and this arc in general is just so good. It feels like a real police raid operation in an anime sort of way, just makes the MHA world feel real in general.
All of O'Clock's actions and decisions from the start of strategizing to fighting Hood just screams "Pro Hero", even if he breaks the rules and does his things sometimes, he does so in a real cool and professional way. He has zero ego as well and is super cautious, as seen with his Plan B.

This chapter and this arc in general is just so good. It feels like a real police raid operation in an anime sort of way, just makes the MHA world feel real in general.
All of O'Clock's actions and decisions from the start of strategizing to fighting Hood just screams "Pro Hero", even if he breaks the rules and does his things sometimes, he does so in a real cool and professional way. He has zero ego as well and is super cautious, as seen with his Plan B.
Man, I wish Vigilantes got adapted even if it was just 12 episodes to start it off. It has also provided a lot of back stories for many characters in the series including Fatgum, Stain, Ingenium and now even Rappa, Mirko and Hood.

Holy crap we are about to see Prime All Might in Vigilantes.
I hope it happens. The Aizawa arc was great too adding more backstory to the character. I remember back when Vigilantes started, some things felt wonky like Stendhal but right now I think the Vigilantes author and Hori have really synchronized so that nothing feels out of place anymore.

I dunno man I think Compress is probably gonna die. Even he himself is kinda acknowledging it based off of the scanlations.

Man, I hope AFO has a way to save him. The guy just revealed his mettle, it would be sad for him to die now. The OG League has been shrinking little by little with Magne then Twice so I hope Compress doesn't die.

As for Shoto, he should definitely master using both ice and fire and maybe how to spam Flashfreeze Heatwave before he faces Dabi again cause he can't beat him with fire alone.

So can anyone tell my what the hell was going on in the newest MHA chapter? it was hard to tell what everyone was doing lol

Also, I just wanted to share my observations here about Tomura and how AFO works for him. I was rereading the chapters, and I think I got a better idea.

Tomura's used 2 quirks from AFO consistently as of now Air Cannon and Regeneration.

From what I understand, both quirks are mutant-type quirks meaning they essentially work as an extension of your physical body.

-Air Cannon adds a visible hole on the user's palms from which they can excrete the air, so it's clearly mutant.

-In the case of regeneration, it likely acts just as an accelerated and boosted form of the normal regenerative processes humans go through anyway.

Now, if we stuck with that, it'd be relatively easy to figure out what's going on here.

However, when Tomura did the air cannon + radio waves thing, it got me confused because we later see he clearly doesn't know all the quirks he has, and radiowaves doesn't seem to be a mutant quirk at all. It just seems to be a normal emitter type quirk.

So after going through chapter 275 to see what happens there, I think I got a good idea of what's going on here.

What exactly happens here is this.

Tomura notices the heroes are communicating and states it annoying -> We cut to Izuku and Bakugou for a bit -> Then we go to Tomura, and he states this "Oh, hm... Ah. Here we go." "A nice air blast, like before ... plus radio waves."

And then later on, when Deku is doing his 100% barrage, Tomura says this "There's gotta be a way .. to put this kid down for good ... some other quirk ... gotta find one..."

From what I'm gathering here when it comes to mutant-type quirks like Air cannon and regeneration, Tomura pretty much gets for free, and they essentially work like extensions of his own body, so it explains why he can use air cannon so effortlessly.

However, when it comes to all the other ones, the AFO quirk probably gives him a mental reference table where he can see the name and the basic abilities of the quirk, which explains how he could do the air cannon radio waves combo. He probably just searched the reference table to see what quirk would fit the situation the best.

It also explains what happened with 100% Deku as it's essentially like Tomura went to a final exam with just a reference table in hand of the answers, he might find the answers in time, or he might not, and in that case, he didn't.

It also explains what happened with AFO in his reference to lending him power. He didn't literally mean giving him power. What happened was that AFO had already long since mastered the AFO quirk, so he knew what the correct quirk to deal with the situation was. He stabbed endeavor with rivet stab to get him off him, so he didn't fully incinerate him and then activated airwalk to keep him from falling.

Also, from what I can understand, rivet stab can be used as an extension of the person's body(He could use forced activation through it a completely separate quirk) once activated, so he would probably be going to activate AFO through the rivet stab if Bakugou didn't stop him. (If you're wondering why he didn't steal Bakugou's quirk, he probably didn't care too AFO's own words on this where "My this battle today, so much blood spilled for no good reason .. That last bit being the most pointless of all". He was razor-focused on Deku there. Bakugou was an insect to him.)
Small Tldr; We should probably put rivet stab and forced quirk activation as separate quirks on Tomura's profile.

Big TLDR: We should probably note on Tomura's profile which quirks he knows about it and can use normally, and which quirks he'd have to look for to find/ or have AFO come in, and add a standard tactics section to explain it further.

This was longer than I thought it'd be, and some of you probably already figured this out, but it was bugging me, so I wanted to put it into words.

Last edited:
Air Cannon probably doesn't put holes in your hand, it's theorized that those holes come from the AFO quirk itself. When Tomura touches Izuku and attempts to steal OFA you see a sucking motion coming from the hole in his hand, which somewhat implies that's something from AFO Quirk.

I don't think it can be Air Cannon since Prime AFO has the holes in his hand, yet he doesn't have Air Cannon. During the fight in Kamino Gran Torino states his tactics and Quirks are nothing like they were before. Which means they've never seen him use Air Cannon before, which heavily implies he didn't have it then.

It's not confirmed either way, but regardless adding speculation to the profiles is a bad idea. There's also no confirmation that he could activate AFO stealing through Rivet Stab, we just don't know how it works or know anything about that yet.

Let's wait for official confirmation in the series itself, if this is how it's work there's no reason why it wouldn't be explained in universe.

Air Cannon probably doesn't put holes in your hand, it's theorized that those holes come from the AFO quirk itself. When Tomura touches Izuku and attempts to steal OFA you see a sucking motion coming from the hole in his hand, which somewhat implies that's something from AFO Quirk.

I don't think it can be Air Cannon since Prime AFO has the holes in his hand, yet he doesn't have Air Cannon. During the fight in Kamino Gran Torino states his tactics and Quirks are nothing like they were before. Which means they've never seen him use Air Cannon before, which heavily implies he didn't have it then.

It's not confirmed either way, but regardless adding speculation to the profiles is a bad idea. There's also no confirmation that he could activate AFO stealing through Rivet Stab, we just don't know how it works or know anything about that yet.

Let's wait for official confirmation in the series itself, if this is how it's work there's no reason why it wouldn't be explained in universe.
I'm fine with that, I still stand by my theory but it's not a bad idea to keep speculation out of profiles however we should at least put a distinction on which quirks he's used and hasn't used.

Also, I just wanted to share my observations here about Tomura and how AFO works for him. I was rereading the chapters, and I think I got a better idea.

Tomura's used 2 quirks from AFO consistently as of now Air Cannon and Regeneration.

From what I understand, both quirks are mutant-type quirks meaning they essentially work as an extension of your physical body.

-Air Cannon adds a visible hole on the user's palms from which they can excrete the air, so it's clearly mutant.

-In the case of regeneration, it likely acts just as an accelerated and boosted form of the normal regenerative processes humans go through anyway.

Now, if we stuck with that, it'd be relatively easy to figure out what's going on here.

However, when Tomura did the air cannon + radio waves thing, it got me confused because we later see he clearly doesn't know all the quirks he has, and radiowaves doesn't seem to be a mutant quirk at all. It just seems to be a normal emitter type quirk.

So after going through chapter 275 to see what happens there, I think I got a good idea of what's going on here.

What exactly happens here is this.

Tomura notices the heroes are communicating and states it annoying -> We cut to Izuku and Bakugou for a bit -> Then we go to Tomura, and he states this "Oh, hm... Ah. Here we go." "A nice air blast, like before ... plus radio waves."

And then later on, when Deku is doing his 100% barrage, Tomura says this "There's gotta be a way .. to put this kid down for good ... some other quirk ... gotta find one..."

From what I'm gathering here when it comes to mutant-type quirks like Air cannon and regeneration, Tomura pretty much gets for free, and they essentially work like extensions of his own body, so it explains why he can use air cannon so effortlessly.

However, when it comes to all the other ones, the AFO quirk probably gives him a mental reference table where he can see the name and the basic abilities of the quirk, which explains how he could do the air cannon radio waves combo. He probably just searched the reference table to see what quirk would fit the situation the best.

It also explains what happened with 100% Deku as it's essentially like Tomura went to a final exam with just a reference table in hand of the answers, he might find the answers in time, or he might not, and in that case, he didn't.

It also explains what happened with AFO in his reference to lending him power. He didn't literally mean giving him power. What happened was that AFO had already long since mastered the AFO quirk, so he knew what the correct quirk to deal with the situation was. He stabbed endeavor with rivet stab to get him off him, so he didn't fully incinerate him and then activated airwalk to keep him from falling.

Also, from what I can understand, rivet stab can be used as an extension of the person's body(He could use forced activation through it a completely separate quirk) once activated, so he would probably be going to activate AFO through the rivet stab if Bakugou didn't stop him. (If you're wondering why he didn't steal Bakugou's quirk, he probably didn't care too AFO's own words on this where "My this battle today, so much blood spilled for no good reason .. That last bit being the most pointless of all". He was razor-focused on Deku there. Bakugou was an insect to him.)
Small Tldr; We should probably put rivet stab and forced quirk activation as separate quirks on Tomura's profile.

Big TLDR: We should probably note on Tomura's profile which quirks he knows about it and can use normally, and which quirks he'd have to look for to find/ or have AFO come in, and add a standard tactics section to explain it further.

This was longer than I thought it'd be, and some of you probably already figured this out, but it was bugging me, so I wanted to put it into words.
Air Canon is emitter type, Super-regeneration would be emitter too.

Mutant type quirks come with physical visible mutations as the core of the quirk. For example someone like Rappa is a mutant type because his shoulders sockets are mutated so that his quirk can function the way it does.

As for Super-regeneration, there is no external or even internal visible mutation. It's more probably to be an emitter type where a special energy/substance gets " emitted" in the body when an injury occurs.

Air canon is purely emitter, it's no different from when people produce fire, water, ice, acid, gases etc. AFO used it with Spring-like limbs which is Transformation type but Shigaraki hasn't used that yet.

I still think the holes are for air cannon. We don't know when AFO got the quirk. Super regeneration is probably a mutant type, that just works internally in the body. Also, I'm not 100% sure about this but where did the name emitter type quirk come from was it from a databook. Mutant types and accumulation types I know have been stated in the story, I'm not sure about the other 2.

At the end of the day though this is all speculation, I'm not sure if Horikoshi is ever going to flat out explain how the AFO quirk work, but from what I can see it'd probably be something like the way I explained it.

The reason I'm so sure air cannon is a mutant type quirk is because if it wasn't and it was just an emitter than it doesn't make sense why Tomura knew how to use air cannon so effortlessly but struggled to find the radiowaves quirk.

Last edited:
I still think the holes are for air cannon. We don't know when AFO got the quirk. Super regeneration is probably a mutant type, that just works internally in the body. Also, I'm not 100% sure about this but where did the name emitter type quirk come from was it from a databook. Mutant types and accumulation types I know have been stated in the story, I'm not sure about the other 2.

At the end of the day though this is all speculation, I'm not sure if Horikoshi is ever going to flat out explain how the AFO quirk work, but from what I can see it'd probably be something like the way I explained it.

The reason I'm so sure air cannon is a mutant type quirk is because if it wasn't and it was just an emitter than it doesn't make sense why Tomura knew how to use air cannon so effortlessly but struggled to find the radiowaves quirk.
It just came from the manga: Emitter, Transformation, Mutant. Apart from that, there are Composite types.

So for example Emitter quirks emit energy or a substance outside or inside the body so even OFA and Sugar Rush are Emitter, but only internally. Then stuff like Explosion, Hellflame, even intangible stuff like Zero Gravity or Aizawa and even Nighteye are all considered Emitter quirks. Quirks that involve stuff like telekinesis or other invisible fields are also in this category.

Transformation involve transforming into something.

As for Mutant, all named mutant quirks in the series so far involve an actual physical mutation which Super-regeneration does not have.

If it gave someone an extra organ or different look and this was directly connected to the quirk, it is only then it would be a mutant quirk.

If a character has a physical mutation which does not link to their quirk directly like Tokoyami or Koda whose bird heads and rock heads have zero to do with their quirks, then their quirks are not labelled as mutant type.

For your quirk to be labelled as mutant type, you need not only a physical mutation but for it to be directly tied to your quirk abilty like Hagakure for example.

Composite types have 2 or 3 categories mixed in like Re-destro (Emitter with Stress ball & Transformation) or Chimera from the movie (Emitter, Mutant, Transformation)

I'd like to say I don't see how Shigaraki struggled to find Radio Waves, he used it pretty quickly when he realized they were using communication devices.

Considering he mentioned he needs to find a Quirk that can take Izuku down, he probably does indeed have some way of checking his stock.

We just don't know how that works, and it's possible we never will.

Official chapter is out. Based on how Mirio was reacting, if these NHE hit any of them once they’ll take a lot of damage and might get incapped. Makes sense anyway Endeavor should have better physicals than everyone fighting the NHE and he bled every time Hood touched him.

Official translation are out.

Midnight is laying on the floor with worse injuries then before, and her mask has fallen off. It's possible she could've died but still not confirmed either way yet.

She's also still in the same location as before, and there aren't any unconscious villains around her, which looks bad.

Mirio states the Near High-Ends gotta be as strong as the one in Kyushu, which is Hood.

Also Mirio is seems to be unable to damage these Near High-Ends, and is simply keeping them distracted so they don't go after Jeanist.

So Near High-Ends are comparable to Hood in some fashion, which means the Hospital High-Ends would be as well. Which fits with how they can take hits from Endeavor, and the implication that Woman could've injured Endeavor when she charged him.

Iida, Mirio, Bakugo, and Nejire clearly don't scale as of now. They've yet to cause any actual damage to the Near High-Ends and only seem to be keeping them distracted.

Officials are out.
Lemillion explicitly states that the Near High Ends are probably as strong as Hood, and they should not get tagged by them. So he's talking about AP.

I think the NHE are comparable to Hood but not because of Mirio's statement. Mirio's only indicator of Hood's strength comes from watching the fight on TV. We also clearly see that the angle that the cameraman/camerawoman had was not very good. However there are other statements and events earlier in the arc that would point to NHE scaling to Hood, so I say they do unless someone comes with an argument for the contrary.

I mean everyone saw Hood injure Endeavor, that statement implies he believes the Near High-End can do the same.

What are these other statements, please explain.

The ones that you pointed out in your message.

Official translation are out. So Near High-Ends are comparable to Hood in some fashion, which means the Hospital High-Ends would be as well. Which fits with how they can take hits from Endeavor, and the implication that Woman could've injured Endeavor when she charged him.
Statements was the wrong word.

The hospital High-End are not Near High-Ends, the doctor considers them High-Ends in general.

Though it seems like the big difference between all of the High-Ends is intelligence.

This is looking bad for Compress. Based on the image that we see of his torso, it appears he's lost a kidney, a huge chunk of his liver and lung, and like half of his intestines. I just hope that his efforts aren't in vain at the least.

Dr. Garaki only described the NHE as "They can't think for themselves... but still, they're quite strong..." so the major difference between these are likely just intelligence. It may involve more versatile Quirk use among other things. But their physicals are likely comparable.

Compress looks done. He has lost way too many important organs. Even Super-regeneration can't save him since it only works on injuries one got after having it. Apart from Overhaul and Rewind, there is no quirk introduced so far that can save him. Maybe if AFO has something good stocked up but I honestly don't see the guy surviving. First it was Magne, then Twice and now Compress. The OG League are dropping like flies.

For the Near High-ends, the bone High-end looks the best. I also hope after this, Shiggy finds a way to get USJ Nomu back.

It's not stated Super Regen doesn't work on injuries before you received the Quirk.

It's stated to not work on injures that have already healed/scars, such as AFO's head wound.

Back