• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Official translation is out. So from the looks of it they are saying 75% Tomura was as fast as Prime All Might so it’s likely that 100% Tomura is even faster.

What does that mean?
tm2dbdizvr451.jpg

I swear there was some statement that AM made crazy winds in his prime when he went all out in speed.

Likely that speed and power aren’t correlated That much? Idk, could also just be knowledge of Shigaraki‘s patterns and tendencies, or the really did just DBZ hyperbolic time chamber on us
I mean AM was still like the craziest dude around though. Both in speed and power. At least that’s what I thought

Most of these statements are just hype. (And by Jeanist at that). In war arc alone we had plenty hype statements that left people here confused. 1 by Aizawa and another by Endeavor.

Also don't forget in Deku Black arc, Deku himself said he was also capable of the sake feats as Prime All Might. People made it about speed but he was talking about overall capabilities. It's a hype statement but does that make it true? Honestly I don't know.

These statements don't even take everything into account. For example: Shigaraki leaped at Star with both his strength/speed plus an Air Canon to boost his speed even further yet Star still reacted and got the first hit in. If we are only looking at base Shigaraki and only using power-scaling glasses, someone could say Prime All Might = Shigaraki's base speed < Shigaraki's speed + Air Canon < Star

But we obviously know this isn't the case. Plus Shigaraki with wings/flight should be way faster than before he had it considering he started easily avoiding lasers he couldn't before.

Then wouldn't Shigaraki with wings + air Canon boost + strength quirks that also boost speed and maybe even speed quirks be another level altogether? But that is highly unlikely seeing both fights against Deku & Star where if he could have been way faster than his opponents, he would have seeing how he was getting effed up.

So if it's not just movement speed (cause in the Star fight alone, Shigaraki showed 2 ways to boost his base speed which are not accounted for in this arguments), is it reaction speed then? Speed in Combat?

As we have seen in the war arc, Endeavor, Bakugo, Gran Torino, and even Ryukyu had no issue reacting to Shigaraki. Heck, when Shigaraki was apparently pushing his limits, Ryukyu came out of the panel and intercepted him accurately mid-charge. Additionally, Shigaraki was never able to blitz any of them even if he was physically faster than them.

Plus even in war arc, Shigaraki was already compared to All Might. People just arbitrarily decided it was weakened All Might for some reason.

We know he was weaker than 100% by some margin but It was clearly a small one. Deku took off his jaw and was overhwelming his Regen but its not like Deku's 100% punches were punching holes in Shigaraki or shaving through him like Mirko did with the High-ends.

We already saw Shigaraki punch right through Ryukyu's arms/scales, so if 100% was so much stronger than him, Deku should have done the same to Shigaraki but it never happened.

If Shigaraki was comparable to some extent in strength/defence, then he should be to some extent in speed.

Now of course even Prime All Might didn't use his full speed cause of the whole air pressure thing and so far we haven't seen Shigaraki with nearly as impressive speed or strength feats as any version of All Might but he should still be extremely close to that level.

If All Might's speed is a 10, Shigaraki should be a 9.8 or something not a 7.

Plus even in war arc, Shigaraki was already compared to All Might. People just arbitrarily decided it was weakened All Might for some reason.

We know he was weaker than 100% by some margin but It was clearly a small one. Deku took off his jaw and was overhwelming his Regen but its not like Deku's 100% punches were punching holes in Shigaraki or shaving through him like Mirko did with the High-ends.

We already saw Shigaraki punch right through Ryukyu's arms/scales, so if 100% was so much stronger than him, Deku should have done the same to Shigaraki but it never happened.

If Shigaraki was comparable to some extent in strength/defence, then he should be to some extent in speed.

Now of course even Prime All Might didn't use his full speed cause of the whole air pressure thing and so far we haven't seen Shigaraki with nearly as impressive speed or strength feats as any version of All Might but he should still be extremely close to that level.

If All Might's speed is a 10, Shigaraki should be a 9.8 or something not a 7.
It still raises questions though like Endeavor can apparently react to Prime AM speed, take a hit from him AND kill him. Endeavor was apparently a complete rival to AM all this time if these Shiggy=Prime Might statements are true.

He nearly punched his ******* jaw off.

That's almost just as ridiculous as punching a hole through his body, if not slightly less ludicrous.

That is equivalent to tearing through someone's flesh, bone, and TENDONS with just a single punch. Granted, it was only his jaw, but that's still flesh and bone. A professional boxer might be able to dislocate, or even break the jaw of someone who's physically comparable to him, but never ******* rip it off with just a right hook. That would require the boxer's punch to surpass his opponent's durability by literally dozens of times, if not more, which would be a superhuman feat.

Unless you somehow have an excuse as to why Deku being theoretically capable of exerting enough force to rip his head off wouldn't make him tens of times stronger, I don't know what to tell you.

Punching through a jaw <<< Punching through a torso.

In any case, it's either a storytelling flaw of previously putting Endeavor in an insurmountable gap between him and All Might, to currently being on par with the latter.
Or the Prime statements are just a little, tad bit exaggerated.

We'll only find a common ground away from this pick your poison choices when the next chapter comes and we get more feats, although I'm sure people are inclined to choose the former.

To me it is obvious the statements are exaggerated cause in both the Deku fight and the Star and Stripes fight, Shigaraki doesn't have a single physical feat that comes close to All Might level apart from durability.

For durability he does have some good showings since Hori seems to enjoy seeing Shigaraki maimed, burned, exploded, lasered, etc. However, even then, Regen is doing a lot of the work in Shigaraki tanking most of the stuff he does.

[Plus I'd say durability capable of tanking 100% is not rare in the series. USJ Nomu, Muscular, in the movies Flect Turn, could all tank several 100% punches before going down and none of them had Super-regeneration].

As for speed-wise, All Might still has better travel speed feats. On the other hand, we have seen multiple characters react to or intercept Shigaraki in terms of movement speed. Deku, Gran Torino, Endeavor, Star and Stripes, and even Ryukyu.

All Might's strength feats even when casual or weakened are on a completely different dimension from anything Shigaraki has shown. As early as weather changing, to even just causally deleting a city block in exam arc, or his raw strength producing a tornado capable of carrying a multiple storey building, or punching away a tornado, breaking through Wolfram's cubes, moving the Tokyo sky egg up with only air pressure, etc.

Even Deku & Bakugo got to punch away an island sized storm albeit in a movie.

Last edited:
I'm 3200 words into analyzing Deku's character, just off of volume one of the manga alone...

c67c8423ec9e861dce620c6eafc160b7b5c128ce.gifv

I can already hear the sound of people seething about how I'm proving that he's one of the most well-written shonen characters in Shonen Jump. Get ready boys, because you're about to see the HOLY GRAIL of bibles of text.

I'm 3200 words into analyzing Deku's character, just off of volume one of the manga alone...

c67c8423ec9e861dce620c6eafc160b7b5c128ce.gifv

I can already hear the sound of people seething about how I'm proving that he's one of the most well-written shonen characters in Shonen Jump. Get ready boys, because you're about to see the HOLY GRAIL of bibles of text.
I’m glad someone is doing an in depth analysis on the kid since no one gives a hoot cause you know anime fans: he’s the main character so obviously he doesn’t grow and isn’t at all well written.

I’m glad someone is doing an in depth analysis on the kid since no one gives a hoot cause you know anime fans: he’s the main character so obviously he doesn’t grow and isn’t at all well written.
Those people are wrong.

In the first chapter itself, he goes through a vast amount of development. It's just that nobody has realized. At least, not until I start scrapping with them over this. Of course, explaining my reasoning for what I'm saying would be a great spoiler to what I'm writing.

It's probably gonna be over 30,000 words or something by the time I reach volume 11.

Those people are wrong.

In the first chapter itself, he goes through a vast amount of development. It's just that nobody has realized. At least, not until I start scrapping with them over this. Of course, explaining my reasoning for what I'm saying would be a great spoiler to what I'm writing.

It's probably gonna be over 30,000 words or something by the time I reach volume 11.
Oh yeah for sure it’s so bad there are people who will legit tell you he still wants to be the strongest to be like AM.

From what I've seen Deku has become one of if not the most hated new gen MC. And yeah, it's good to have a long analysis on him because maybe it will convince some people. I don't even really know when it started tbh. But for the longest time it seems like people just reach at anything and repeat anything just to bring down Deku. Which is disappointing since he's a really cool kid and definitely a really well written character, would even go as far as to say he's a breath of fresh air compared to most popular shonen MC's. So I can't wait to read the analysis if possible!

Deku is and still continues to be the best MC currently in jump and it’s really not close. The only time his character isn’t growing constantly in significant and meaningful ways is when he isn’t on the pages, otherwise we’re always exploring and developing his perspective, strength and meaning to the world. Every character he interacts with changes him and helps him grow until he reaches a new peak just to go even further as he is challenged again and again to prove why he should be here in the first place.

This is the story of someone learning how to fit the shoes left behind, then growing past them and making something new in its place. It’s not an underdog story or a continued line of succession, it’s a challenge to become the best, then have that title weighed on you until you realize what it takes to continue to be the best.

The story of Deku is one of going beyond the peak because those behind are always going to reach you if you stop. So I relish an analysis of his character, especially the beginning where people cry more then he does about any flaw they can.

The story of Deku is one of going beyond the peak because those behind are always going to reach you if you stop. So I relish an analysis of his character, especially the beginning where people cry more then he does about any flaw they can.
I don't think it was ever about the competition at the end of the day. Like, sure. He desires to be the Number One hero, but it's only because that's a role that would enable him to save a lot of people in society and give them hope.

He's just placed in a lot of situations in which he has to compete against his classmates. But at the end of the day? Competition matters little in-hero society when your main concern lies with whether or not you'll survive the next day. And I think Deku knows this. I think part of his reason for wanting to become a top hero is to fill the expectations All Might's placed on him. To be a proper successor.

I don't think it was ever about the competition at the end of the day. Like, sure. He desires to be the Number One hero, but it's only because that's a role that would enable him to save a lot of people in society and give them hope.

He's just placed in a lot of situations in which he has to compete against his classmates. But at the end of the day? Competition matters little in-hero society when your main concern lies with whether or not you'll survive the next day. And I think Deku knows this. I think part of his reason for wanting to become a top hero is to fill the expectations All Might's placed on him. To be a proper successor.
Of course, it’s never been about competing, but it’s the position he’s found himself that forces him to compete. He needs to prove himself because of the shadow of All Might, but even when that shadow is beginning to be filled, he’s tested again and has to reinvent how he thinks.

The competitive part of his character stops when Blackwhip appears, as now we’re understanding that Deku isn’t meant to take All Might’s place at the top, but to finish the entirety of One For All before. When we realize what is occurring in the Quirk, it flips our perspective on what Deku is supposed to be in the eyes of others, and thus compounds his issue of living up to his own expectations, which boils over into the Villain Hunt arc.

What was once a competition is now his desperate fight to hold everything together by himself, only for the class that he wanted to surpass, that he “started at the bottom” relative to, reaching out their hands to show him that together is the way they can change their society for the better. His want to surpass All Might is finally challenged by the people who saw All Might in him the most, and put to rest along with his fears.

I know it was said somewhere that All Might doesn’t try using his speed since he would cause destruction
Deku says this when he first thinks up Air Force before the culture festival, chapter 172

Though more specifically, he says in that if he always moved at 100% he would create wind blasts.

I believe a prior translation stated he would cause destruction with those movements instead.

Damage Boost seems more accurate, Bakugo is just sweating more, allowing for bigger explosions.
I know it was said somewhere that All Might doesn’t try using his speed since he would cause destruction
Which is weird because even Deku's Faux 100% didn't do anything to the environment, maybe it was because All Might is much larger and heavier?

Which is weird because even Deku's Faux 100% didn't do anything to the environment, maybe it was because All Might is much larger and heavier?
I mean even if you look at All Might’s extremely casual fights (like against Bakugou and Deku), he can create massive collateral damage by punching the air or just blitzing Deku

Back