• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

I didn’t think he would because it doesn’t feel organic now. Feels like he’s just crossing off a checklist to satisfy a quota to hurry the series to the end.
But not only does it make sense and was hinted at early on, but it also introduces an entirely new plot point. How does that NOT fit the definition of 'organic?'

But not only does it make sense and was hinted at early on, but it also introduces an entirely new plot point. How does that NOT fit the definition of 'organic?'
There are, like, 2 scenes of the traitor actually being discussed. No real discussion about it or the characters actually trying to uncover who it could be. Then suddenly BAM, traitor reveal, totally planned all along, and oh, it’s the most predictable and forgettable character in the entire series.

It's real.
441EA3D383846BA5EDCD6710B650ECD7704E6077.png

So Horikoshi, after over 250 chapters of doing absolutely nothing with the U.A. traitor plot point, decides to bring it up with the most convenient character in the class. I don't know about you but this feels pretty unearned. We've seen nearly zero evidence that Hagakure would have been the traitor besides her being the least developed female character in the series. She did pretty much nothing to deserve this role. So what was it that made Horikoshi think he could just patch things up when it's already incredibly late in the manga?

Last edited:
So Horikoshi, after over 250 chapters of doing absolutely nothing with the U.A. traitor plot point, decides to bring it up with the most convenient character in the class. I don't know about you but this feels pretty unearned. We've seen nearly zero evidence that Hagakure would have been the traitor besides her being the least developed female character in the series. She did pretty much nothing to deserve this role. So what was it that made Horikoshi think he could just patch things up when it's already incredibly late in the manga?
Bruh, some of you guys really look for whatever to complain about. It's predictable at this point.
Why would the traitor plot be resolved when AFO is in prison when literally only him in the league and possibly Kurogiri knew who it was. In universe AFO only came out of jail like a month ago. Shigaraki and the League didn't know and had zero connection with the traitor as far as we have seen. Also obviously the plot point would only be revealed when useful. Right now Hagakure could sabotage UA defenses but if it got revealed before what would her role be?

I would like to remind everyone that any type of game-changing shonen reveal is to be unexpected That's the point. It's supposed to be a surprise. What do you expect? Maybe Horikoshi didn't address her character until now because there's not much to develop without giving away her role in the story? After all, she's a villain. Any development wouldn't make sense narratively if she was revealed to be evil from the get-go. But this is all speculation.

TLDR; cool your jets. Wait until this is elaborated on. Class 1-A isn't even aware that there's a traitor. No one but AFO and his party of rag-tag villains knows. Let the story run its course. This hasn't been explored. It's too early to think critically about this when we don't know Horikoshi's intentions with the character.

We've seen nearly zero evidence that Hagakure would have been the traitor besides her being the least developed female character in the series. She did pretty much nothing to deserve this role. So what was it that made Horikoshi think he could just patch things up when it's already incredibly late in the manga?
Really? Then let's take a walk through some of the hints then, shall we?
  1. Hagakure had the perfect quirk for spying and gathering intel from U.A and transferring it to AFO. She could easily avoid being detected.
  2. It'd be narratively impossible for Hagakure to pass the Entrance Exam to U.A without another quirk or some other factor. And she's not a recommendation student to my knowledge.
  3. Hakagure was the one who originally suggested to everyone that they should go to the mall. COINCIDENTALLY, Shigaraki also showed up with Kurogiri for support.
  4. Hakagure scored higher than Deku on the Quirk Apprehension Test. Enough said.
Need I say anything else? Horikoshi gave us enough hints to the point that a few people could speculate about this, but not to the point that it was extremely obvious that Hagakure was the traitor.

This feels way too sudden not gonna lie, but I'm sure Horikoshi will give us more context next chapter.
The traitor plot is back now that AFO is out of prison. I don't think Shigaraki or the League ever knew who the traitor even was.

I would like to remind everyone that any type of game-changing shonen reveal is to be unexpected That's the point. It's supposed to be a surprise. What do you expect? Maybe Horikoshi didn't address her character until now because there's not much to develop without giving away her role in the story? After all, she's a villain. Any development wouldn't make sense narratively if she was revealed to be evil from the get-go. But this is all speculation.

TLDR; cool your jets. Wait until this is elaborated on. Class 1-A isn't even aware that there's a traitor. No one but AFO and his party of rag-tag villains knows. Let the story run its course. This hasn't been explored. It's too early to think critically about this when we don't know Horikoshi's intentions with the character.

Really? Then let's take a walk through some of the hints then, shall we?
  1. Hagakure had the perfect quirk for spying and gathering intel from U.A and transferring it to AFO. She could easily avoid being detected.
  2. It'd be narratively impossible for Hagakure to pass the Entrance Exam to U.A without another quirk or some other factor. And she's not a recommendation student to my knowledge.
  3. Hakagure was the one who originally suggested to everyone that they should go to the mall. COINCIDENTALLY, Shigaraki also showed up with Kurogiri for support.
  4. Hakagure scored higher than Deku on the Quirk Apprehension Test. Enough said.
Need I say anything else? Horikoshi gave us enough hints to the point that a few people could speculate about this, but not to the point that it was extremely obvious that Hagakure was the traitor.
So far most people could guess that either Aoyama or
Hagakure were the traitors. Aoyama was the red herring and he got the most hints but Hagakure had a few sus things too. The spy would have to be someone with a quirk fit for spying. In 1A that's Hagakure, Shoji, Koda, Jirou, and maybe Momo based on the stuff she makes.

I-I'm pretty sure that Horikoshi could have found a way to develop Hagakure as a character while also keeping her true identity as a near-total secret. I've read a few novels with twists and turns like this, mostly ones that aren't shonen or even Japanese, and they've succeeded in doing so. This isn't foreign to me at all. It's just that I felt that the twist I got was half-baked and that Hori could have spent more time with it even when AFO was out of the picture.

Also yet another example of a female character who's role in the story was supposed to be important but got shafted for hundreds of chapters due to reasons yada-yada.

Last edited:
I-I'm pretty sure that Horikoshi could have found a way to develop Hagakure as a character while also keeping her true identity as a near-total secret. I've read a few novels with twists and turns like this, mostly ones that aren't shonen or even Japanese, and they've succeeded in doing so. This isn't foreign to me at all. It's just that I felt that the twist I got was half-baked and that Hori could have spent more time with it even when AFO was out of the picture.
It would've been pointless to develop someone who's just wearing a mask. Someone who's lying to the audience. Because that would mean once she's revealed as the traitor, the development she received amounts to nothing. Aka, it was all fake. It's pointless. It doesn't add to her character. That is probably why Horikoshi didn't do anything with her except dropping subtle hints about the things that are going down in the next 200 chapters.

Also yet another example of a female character who's role in the story was supposed to be important but got shafted for hundreds of chapters due to reasons yada-yada.
Her role as a character got shafted to create a twist since she's the traitor. This has nothing to do with gender, so stop acting as if it does.

Last edited:
It would've been pointless to develop someone who's just wearing a mask. Someone who's lying to the audience. Because that would mean once she's revealed as the traitor, the development she received amounts to nothing. Aka, it was all fake. It's pointless. It doesn't add to her character. That is probably why Horikoshi didn't do anything with her except dropping subtle hints about the things that are going down in the next 200 chapters.

Her role as a character got shafted to create a twist since she's the traitor. This has nothing to do with gender, so stop acting as if it does.
Uhm, no. That's not how twists tend to come out, at least from my experience. Even though their behaviors have been revealed to have been false there would have to be certain characteristics and behaviors that would stay with the person who managed to succeed in deceiving. Hakagure could have been established to be a cunning individual capable of stealth operations for any team she'd be on that could give them the win in almost any situation. I mean she'd have to have been, she had an invisibility quirk and was working for AFO, you'd think that would allow her show off her capabilities even as far back as the USJ attack while dropping a small hint of her actual plans. Give her another moment at the Sports Festival, or if not then have her join a work study together with Ochaco/Tsuyu so she'd have her eye on Deku, or whoever, while keeping a distance. There'd have been at least a handful of chances to establish her as a competent individual who'd have what it takes to be a hero, again because she was a literal spy, like everyone else in the class and pull the rug under once everything has been put in place. Would much of her character have been removed? Yes, but some of her characterization would also have been preserved. Now we got next to nothing from her.

Her characterization doesn't exist in a vacuum. She is not some silver bullet that when shot makes everything about gender. She's a drop in the bucket that had already been filled with a lot of water with likely even more drops ready to fall. And no, I won't speak more on this since I already made my stance on the matter previously with Star and Stripe. I'll admit I wasn't being careful with how I made my stance on the matter and should have been more circumspective. So I'm sorry about that.

Also, good night.

Also, somebody pointed out another hint towards Toru being the traitor: apparently, Horikoshi revealed that Himiko WOULDN'T turn invisible if she transformed into Toru. That probably wouldn't be TOO big of a deal, if it weren't for the fact that Toru herself seems to know what she looks like, implying that she can turn off her invisibility at will...

Heh

Haha

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAAHHAAHHAAH

I WAS ******* RIGHT THE ENTIRE TIME. I CANNOT BELIEVE IT. I KNEW IT.

SHE’S DIFFICULT TO DETECT

SHE HAS A BUBBLY PERSONALITY AS A COVER

SHE LIED ABOUT WHERE SHE WAS DURING THE USJ

SHE TOLD 1A TO GO TO THE MALL

WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HER UNLIKE THE OTHER GIRLS, HELL EVEN KODA HAS MORE BACKSTORY TO HIM.

I. WAS. *******. RIGHT.

Unless this is a red herring that is explained next chapter.

Did they specifically say she was the traitor? I mean In the leaks it just showed her silhouette after AFO said he has friends horikoshi loves twisting the ending of a last chapter in the new one she could know how it is or be looking at them

I could agree but it’d be kind of out of nowhere with that choice
???
Aoyama is one of the choices that makes more sense. The fandom suspected him for years, almost as much as they suspected Kaminari. With just as much tease that Horikoshi seems to be physically capable of lol.
It won't be out of nowhere. He was even teased as the traitor originally as a joke.

???
Aoyama is one of the choices that makes more sense. The fandom suspected him for years, almost as much as they suspected Kaminari. With just as much tease that Horikoshi seems to be physically capable of lol.
It won't be out of nowhere. He was even teased as the traitor originally as a joke.
Aoyama has already been used as a red herring multiple times like he chapter that ended with him outside Deku's window and an ominous "he started to show his true colors" or writing "I know" on the cheese or when he wrote "still waters run deep" in License arc.

Back