• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

It's just a rumour that some western fans started because JT sold better than MVA. But JT sold better than other arcs around it not just MVA and the MVA sales themselves were pretty high.

Also I wouldn't say it is just MVA alone that got screwed over. Despite how short it is, Endeavor Agency arc was a top arc for me alongside Pro-hero arc. But this season practically butchered Endeavor Agency arc. In the manga it was a fun arc but in the anime it was just a slog to get through with all the filler and flashbacks to pad things.

I've heard Japanese fans have been showing the similar concern and worry about the MVA as the west. Likely not to the same degree, but there is talk about it.

I've never seen anything that says Japanese fans disliked the MVA arc, though I admit I don't know if the post above is correct in the translation. And obviously those tweets don't represent the majority of the fanbase in Japan. But in terms of sales, Volume 24 to 25 seemed to sell just fine.

Where does this Japanese fans dislike the MVA arc come from exactly?
I heard somewhere that someone of high rank admitted that they thought MVA was taboo and distasteful, but A) that might not have been an accurate translation, and B) I can't even remember who the guy was or what role he plays in terms of MHA.

It's just a rumour that some western fans started because JT sold better than MVA. But JT sold better than other arcs around it not just MVA and the MVA sales themselves were pretty high.

Also I wouldn't say it is just MVA alone that got screwed over. Despite how short it is, Endeavor Agency arc was a top arc for me alongside Pro-hero arc. But this season practically butchered Endeavor Agency arc. In the manga it was a fun arc but in the anime it was just a slog to get through with all the filler and flashbacks to pad things.
So it was all just rumor-mongering? I feel like a fool.

I hope the Anime Studio addresses this bullshit at some point, because this is inexcusable

Manga Content should never be cut when there is filler being made, it just shouldn’t happen, but it did and I have no idea why

Do the top people just hate the villains and think they aren’t worth the time?

I hope the Anime Studio addresses this bullshit at some point, because this is inexcusable

Manga Content should never be cut when there is filler being made, it just shouldn’t happen, but it did and I have no idea why

Do the top people just hate the villains and think they aren’t worth the time?
That's what we were trying to figure out with the "Japan hates MVA" thing...

So this is apparently a thing

The My Hero Production had difficulties in dealing with more ambitious approaches, because many times, an animator does something very complex and his scenes have to be redone. Vincent Chansard did an excellent layout for this week's episode, which was redone in the final version.

Due to this, Vincent Chansard asked not to be credited in the episode animators list.

I still think MVA will be adapted well, I don’t imagine them skipping anything, I think it’s just very obvious Season 5 has had major pacing issues, having 2 unnecessary filler episodes, slowing the Class 1-A vs Class 1-B Arc and Endeavor Agency Arc, and then eventually rushing MVA, it just feels like a mess all over the place

It’s really not that bad in hindsight as the season will likely end strong and adapt MVA just fine, however it is a clear that Season 5 has really only been average at best so far. However Season 6 will cover the War Arc, which is a non stop thrill ride of epicness, so at the very least, we can look forward to that
This aged well

At this point I just hope they don’t mess up Tomura’s backstory and Awakened Tomura vs Re-Destro. That’s literally all I’m asking now. At least make the finale a banger.

This is from a reddit comment so take it with a grain of salt, but apparently Bones have different teams for the movie and the series.

Of course they probably had the best staff for the movie.

I just noticed, when Deku tried to kick Overhaul’s skull, his missed blow nicked his arms and completely twisted them around and broke them. Deku was looking to kill and I can’t be convinced otherwise.

I honestly have no clue how Bones works on the anime and movies anymore. People say the movies have a separate studio/team hence shouldn't affect the anime production but they clearly are affecting the anime.

Also you would think things would get better after season 3/Two Heroes in terms of getting the hang of things in balancing this stuff but clearly the anime has been gradually getting worse from season 4 to 5. Things are moving backwards instead of forward.

In Season 3 the movie only affected License arc. Everything else was top tier.

In season 4, the anime lost its director to the movies (another reason I think anime quality went down. The new director season 4 onwards just isn't up to par). Season 4 had its share of inconsistencies and some stuff got shortchanged/downgraded from the manga. But it seemed they could still afford to invest time and talent in 100% Deku vs Overhaul & Endeavor vs Hood. Still nothing compared to season 1-3 which never downgraded major fights but in hindsight, season 4 wasn't that bad.

Season 5 on the other hand! It has been problems after problems.

Season 1 to 3 was basically God tier MHA. I could rewatch them all day. Not only was animation consistent, all major fights were done well. Not a single downgraded fight. Some like USJ Nomu vs All Might were even better than the manga.

From USJ to Sports Festival, Stain arc, Deku & Bakugo vs All Might, Muscular, Kamino, Deku vs Bakugo 2. All these major fights were done justice in the anime and are just as good as in the manga. Season 2 even had time to add a filler sequence for Endeavor in Stain arc.

Season 4 was the first time I felt manga fights were genuinely far above the anime apart from the 2 main ones (Endeavor v Hood, 100% Deku v Overhaul).

- Kirishima vs Rappa was okay but heavily censored in the anime for some reason.

- Tamaki vs the 3 Precepts got shortchanged. It wasn't by much but still inferior to the manga fight.

- Mirio got shortchanged with still frames.

- And the biggest culprit for me was Deku vs Gentle. In the manga it is still a top 5 fight for me and one of Deku's most strategic fights next to the Nagant fight. But in the anime it isn't even in my top 10.

Sad part is Im one of those people who defend MHA with their life and I was going from video to video on youtube, tiktok and saying it wont be that bad. That bones knows how important it is and if they have room for filler when manga canon is available then they know what they are doing...but now. Honestly **** MHA S5, its absolute trash maybe mid if I feel generious at times. It makes black clover look good, somehow.

Last edited:
You have to understand that with anime a lot of decisions are made by the suits at Shueisha and Toho who care more about money than MHA itself. They are not looking at it from a 'fans of the series' perspective but from a money perspective. Even Bones aren't high in the decision making heirarchy, apparently 4th.

At this point I don't even know how they are gonna do War arc considering it's MHA's biggest in terms of spectacle, longest and darkest arc. The anime already floundered with Overhaul arc and now MVA so I don't even understand how they can begin to pull war arc off.

You have to understand that with anime a lot of decisions are made by the suits at Shueisha and Toho who care more about money than MHA itself. They are not looking at it from a 'fans of the series' perspective but from a money perspective. Even Bones aren't high in the decision making heirarchy, apparently 4th.
Capitalism moment.

Bones was also working on Vanitas and some Godzilla flick and I heard that the team making Vanitas was pushed to the limit, so its not even just MHA.

I have held my tongue on MVA

I will no longer

It ******* sucks. It is missing so much dialogue and so many pieces that made it good. Re-Destro and the others feel like filler bad guy characters and not integral people in society looking to tear it down. Turning so many moments into still is insulting. Not even including the Shigaraki panel when he says what he wants is terrible. The doctor is bleh. Gigantomachia is bleh. Everything about this feels rushed and screams that they could have done better with the whole seasons scheduling and production.

God dang it.

̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶l̶u̶c̶k̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶t̶c̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶g̶a̶
Same.

I have held my tongue on MVA

I will no longer

It ******* sucks. It is missing so much dialogue and so many pieces that made it good. Re-Destro and the others feel like filler bad guy characters and not integral people in society looking to tear it down. Turning so many moments into still is insulting. Not even including the Shigaraki panel when he says what he wants is terrible. The doctor is bleh. Gigantomachia is bleh. Everything about this feels rushed and screams that they could have done better with the whole seasons scheduling and production.

God dang it.
Anime watchers like you are on thin ice RN 🙃 .

Endeavor sat in a chair for 10 minutes straight so we could watch footage we’ve already seen just so Shigaraki’s best page in the entire manga could be reduced to 2 still images with basically no animation or blood or detail in it whatsoever. Lovely. :)

But constantly ranting about the anime is boring, so I won’t do it. Much. It’s a lost cause at this point. Does Worlds Heroes Mission leak footage exist yet?

Nope. We'll have to wait till October when it's out in the West.

I know people were all talking about Flect Turn but I was more interested in Leviathan. He seemed to have gotten Death Arms conceptual design despite how different his quirk is.

Also I don't know if I'm the only one who saw a similarity with Death Arms original concept art:

Uraraka could be pretty useful in a final battle against Shigaraki with all the class involved considering she can get everyone off the ground to avoid Decay waves. And if she somehow tags Shigaraki, he’d have trouble adjusting to being weightless, and wouldnt be able to decay wave anymore since he wouldn’t be able to touch the ground for a long period of time.

Back