• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

He gets blitzed and punched all over the place while trying to be a useful shield for the others. He’s be better off fighting the Near High Ends.

If 45% Deku + Danger Sense still gets tagged multiple times by Nagant, most characters in the verse aren't dodging any of Nagant's bullets.

There are very few people in-universe faster than 45% as for having better reactions than Danger Sense, probably only Nighteye was of that caliber.

Also Muscular downplay at all time high. I get he jobbed in the rematch, but without Shindo there and his full body armor covering his face, most characters in the verse including Shigaraki can hardly phase him with raw strength alone.

It’s a good thing most of 1-A don’t use just ”raw strength”.

I can see Todoroki easily handling Muscular by himself. I doubt Muscular is fire resistant. Nagant just out-snipes, unless Mineta comes into clutch and solo’s her. /s

Could Class 1-A handle the Muscular/Nagant that Deku faced?
Todoroki and/or Bakugo alone are more than enough to beat him. Nagant just one-shots everyone except Iida (he can probably dodge a few of her attacks) and (maybe) Kirishima. Ironically, Tsuyu and Hagakure, if they are sneaky enough, can survive longer than most people in the class.

Muscular sucks because he doesn’t have any great speed feats while having obvious weaknesses.

Disorient and outmaneuver him, stress out his muscles and force him to make mistakes. He can be beaten with teamwork and skill.

Nagant cannot, she just claps all of them in speed, power and intelligence. Hiding from her is the best play, but people are going down in like the first few seconds of the fight.

Momo might be able to make something to blind or mess with Nagant long enough to get people close to her with Iida and Shoto though. If they can distract and get near her, they can win. They just have to run immediately into cover and hope she doesn’t snipe the important members into oblivion around it.

The Class can beat Nagant if they're the ones ambushing her and not the other way around, in which they're screwed.

With Shindo weakening Muscular significantly, maybe Jiro can do something similar with her soundwaves.
Shoto's Flashfire should be enough to burn through Muscular too. Flashfreeze could potentially find some sort of weakness in exposed muscles.
Those muscles can't get rid of Mineta's balls.

Shiggy was kinda right about MHA society. The civilians have been too coddled by the heroes.

And it seems the UA barrier can deal with decay given the whole moving plates technology. The sub units can apparently move and even sink into the underground for shelter. It's like a full blown mech. This kind of stuff kinda puts Nezu's intelligence into the picture.

This chapter shows Danger Sense having its toll for the “hurrr Deku has ZERO drawbacks now” crowd. So many different number of danger sense activations from the crowd seems to make him recoil. He wasn’t feeling the pain before because he only ever had it activate from single events at a time, never a whole mess of different dangers.

I was scrolling through the comments of a site that hosts fan translations of MHA and I stumbled on this comment posted for this week's chapter. I'm wondering how people make of this.

Anonymous:
I respect your opinion, but I actually think Deku has gotten worse. See, in the beginning he was like a kid who was learning to use the power of a titan. He had to balance helping others with injury to himself. It was a decent enough theme, but there were times when he did rely on others to carry the team, like with Tsu and Mineta. But now Deku has limited the risk without actually training to master his power. Also, Horikoshi is just overloading him with new powers to try and make him more interesting, but his character has actually devolved here. He now cuts everyone else out, and puts it all on himself. A far cry from sharing One For All with Bakugo in the 2nd movie. That goes double for how he relied on everyone else to wear down Nines in the same movie.

As for Bakugo, he was always a one-trick pony. Loud/angry. It kind of worked, though I would say not enough of a dynamic with the other characters. Like, Bakugo would be a lot more entertaining if his anger issues were provoked by Kaminari's antics, or smoothed out in certain areas by Kirishima. I'd also like to see some kind of gag between Mina and Bakugo, with him being angry and her being happy and bubbly. There's just so much joke potential with Bakugo that goes wasted because it seems Horikoshi just wants to make him a second protagonist, and his character just gets engulfed by whatever drama Deku is involved in.

I have always watched MHA for the side characters, and I believe that has always been the show's greatest strength. And I don't see how Deku is becoming the world's greatest hero except through getting overpowered by One For All.

I was scrolling through the comments of a site that hosts fan translations of MHA and I stumbled on this comment posted for this week's chapter. I'm wondering how people make of this.

Anonymous:
tha guy made some legit criticism

I feel like that criticism makes sense from a certain standpoint, but definitely not when you actually read the changes and dangers being presented.

The villains have been growing exponentially, the actual “problem” meant to be solved has shifted dramatically, and the progression of many characters is beginning to reach their peaks.

Deku changing in that way isn’t a backtrack or downside to his character, it’s result of his circumstances, and makes him a better and more natural character for it. If he was the exact same person, power and skill wise, as he was before, he would be dead at Overhaul, let alone Shigaraki.

Volume 31 really had a lot of spoilers for upcoming chapters. Well 2 or 3 not a lot, but it's still the first time we have seen Horikoshi give outright spoilers like this.

Anonymous:
The Bakugo criticism is fine for me, but not Deku's.

I can't really see how exactly did Deku's character devolve in particular, especially if one is paying attention to what's happening. Deku's character development is perfectly in line with the events happening in the series. He may have "devolved" in a sense that the battle strategy in Heroes: Rising is better than what Deku was currently doing, then sure.
But if he's saying it's bad writing then... I dunno about that, chief.

I'd say the criticism over the risk of using OFA being nonexistent already is valid in a way, though.

“Deku is a horrible character because he changes, grows, develops and actually becomes competent and confident. I don’t care that him going alone and trying to do everything by itself is portrayed as a bad thing by the series itself, it’s bad writing, and frankly, Bakugo never did anything wrong. He should’ve gotten One For All, or Mirio.”

That’s how I read it.

Currently watching the latest episode.

Now, I wasn't really a big fan of MVA arc unlike the ones hyping it to the heavens, but...

Seems like BONES ****** it up lol. It already took away some of the parts that made me like MVA. Overall, it proves that their choice of putting the EA arc sucks.

It wasn't bad enough that an anime-only would dislike it. But as a manga reader you'll have issues with it even if you're not that enthusiastic about the MVA arc.

Last edited:
A lot of the episode /looks/ very well drawn. Animation lacks punch tho. It cuts away when Gigantomachia smacks the ground when he arrives and only shows a smoke effect like so many other anime. Not a fan of the 4kids level censoring too. It’s also feels incredibly fast paced, like the episode is running at double speed, and it plays combat music when all that’s happening is characters are talking, it feels like Fallout 4.

Oh well. I’m a manga only reader so I’ll just remain so.

Read this on a YT comment (dont read if you haven't seen the chapter yet)

"So setting aside the COUNTLESS hints that Principal Nezu is the traitor this chapter…on second thought screw it. The UA barrier getting funded by Nezu is just a trap waiting to happen. The buildings being able to move underground is less of a means of a protection and FAR more accurately a means of getting anyone important unable to escape. Because there’s NO WAY that security will help against a city destroying decay and a creature that can fight OFA at prime level is just not going to mean anything. These guys can destroy ANYTHING. It has to be a prison. (Plus the various other hints like him telling Endeavor to say on live tv where they are hiding in the same press conference as him admitting his family situation. Plus AFO himself even saying he’s attacked UA often in the recent anime episode.)"

Back