• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Kirishima caught Faux 100% speed Deku and Iida without falling over.
Possible upgrade? Although, I assume they lost a lot of momentum when in the air somehow.

Kirishima caught Faux 100% speed Deku and Iida without falling over.
Possible upgrade? Although, I assume they lost a lot of momentum when in the air somehow.
Iida said Kirishima was at the right time to catch them, and it was just by pure coincidence.

Iida said Kirishima was at the right time to catch them, and it was just by pure coincidence.
Yeah, but he didn’t fall over, and still had to turn to face them and was running along the ground while watching them. They they must’ve lost a lot of speed when hand holding or when Uraraka turned off her quirk.

People crying about the movie being lame because Todoroki and Bakugo take a backseat to Deku and Rody outside of fights.

I think that’s perfect. I want more of that from the movies in fact. Let Deku and the actual plot be the main focus, while the students and others stay in the background but are present. It lets Deku shine more, something people have asked for and are now getting in spades.

Let my man live as the protagonist, he’s earned it. I wouldn’t mind even just someone like Ochako, Tokoyami or Kaminari getting more shine than Todoroki or Bakugo in a movie. They won’t be forgotten for the big moments or the cool fights, which they deserve in spades. But not every movie has to have them as the main characters along with Deku.

Deku before: If I fall from this height, I’ll die. I need to break my arm to cancel out the force and save myself

Deku now: flicks a finger and hits the ground running with ease

People crying about the movie being lame because Todoroki and Bakugo take a backseat to Deku and Rody outside of fights.

I think that’s perfect. I want more of that from the movies in fact. Let Deku and the actual plot be the main focus, while the students and others stay in the background but are present. It lets Deku shine more, something people have asked for and are now getting in spades.

Let my man live as the protagonist, he’s earned it. I wouldn’t mind even just someone like Ochako, Tokoyami or Kaminari getting more shine than Todoroki or Bakugo in a movie. They won’t be forgotten for the big moments or the cool fights, which they deserve in spades. But not every movie has to have them as the main characters along with Deku.
I read at least one tweet from a Dabi stan who was ******* seething at the movie's existence for taking so much from MVA and making S5 shit.

Next chapter should be completely dedicated to cleaning Deku up. Have his outfit power washed with him in it, before having him rip off the half-broken, malfunctioning mid gauntlets, peeling off the blood soaked cloth which has practically adhered to his skin, shampoo his hair, have Mina use 0.0001% acid man to clean all the gunk, etc etc. If we don’t get that I’m rioting and sending a harshly worded letter to Studio Bones. /s

All the movies are canon.

However, in my opinion, I don’t believe that makes everything that is on screen, “canon” in the powerscale. Sometimes things are exaggerated for the sake of rule of cool, since it’s a movie. Such as; Deku bullet timing only in a movie at 5%, Deku kicking through several metres of steel at 5%, something he never does in the manga, not even close, 20% Deku creating a shockwave the size of a city block with the air pressure from a kick, whereas the direct air pressure from a kick in the manga barely rustled the leaves of some nearby trees in the Manga, etc etc.

However, in my opinion, I don’t believe that makes everything that is on screen, “canon” in the powerscale. Sometimes things are exaggerated for the sake of rule of cool, since it’s a movie. Such as; Deku bullet timing only in a movie at 5%, Deku kicking through several metres of steel at 5%, something he never does in the manga, not even close, 20% Deku creating a shockwave the size of a city block with the air pressure from a kick, whereas the direct air pressure from a kick in the manga barely rustled the leaves of some nearby trees in the Manga, etc etc.
Well that ain't valid by any means

Can't discredit movie feats cause "Well they're more flashy than the manga"

That’s not “canon” you’re discussing.

You’re claiming them to be outliers. Which is fine, but not accepted, because we’ve had like 5 threads about this and generally find them fine.

For this movie though, I’m actually skeptical of it being canon. We decide the movies are canon based on Horikoshi’s numerous statements and dealings and connections.

He has connected this movie to the manga too with that side chapter, and nothing discredits it’s existence.

But Horikoshi also seems to have not been as involved in this movie as he was the others. Like, he made the stealth suits when they approached him about the movie, so they rushed the stealth suits in for a small time. It’s weird. He generally seems a bit shocked at this movies appearance.

I think Horikoshi is reaching a point where the movies are canon but his input is becoming… lessened? Like, he’s kinda getting twisted into helping out and making the movies connect to the main manga.
We would not be discussing canonicity at that point. It has been made clear as day by the creator himself that the movies are canon to the manga. Nothing lessens this fact regardless of how little input he is providing for Bones. Since he says they are canon, they are canon. This should not be questioned unless Horikoshi makes a statment that would allow us to.

I would have to wonder how the stories of the movies would affect the story of the manga, though.

Maybe?

Because it's in-between the time skip so he did get stronger but not as strong as his war arc self maybe name it "endeavor agency arc"

I would think so yeah and just upgrade Bakugo's war arc key too when we actually get the movie so we can upgrade them and give them these keys

I can discredit movie feats if they make absolutely no sense compared to the manga’s powerscale. Because they’re outliers. So, they are invalid.

Just because Horikoshi provided the story for the movies, does not mean he animated every single frame, and made sure every single frame of animation was perfect in scale to his views of how strong the characters are in the manga. And he doesn’t state otherwise because he most likely doesn’t even care about “powerscale”, this is why there’s practically no databooks with actual concrete things to powerscale with.

So if a movie feat is far, far, far bigger than the manga at the character’s closest relative scale (say, 20% to 20%), I deem the movie feat invalid, even though the story is canon. Because it’s an outlier.

I can discredit movie feats if they make absolutely no sense compared to the manga’s powerscale. Because they’re outliers. So, they are invalid.

Just because Horikoshi provided the story for the movies, does not mean he animated every single frame, and made sure every single frame of animation was perfect in scale to his views of how strong the characters are in the manga. And he doesn’t state otherwise because he most likely doesn’t even care about “powerscale”, this is why there’s practically no databooks with actual concrete things to powerscale with.

So if a movie feat is far, far, far bigger than the manga at the character’s closest relative scale (say, 20% to 20%), I deem the movie feat invalid, even though the story is canon. Because it’s an outlier.
Except your 20% example is based upon the false premise of 20% needing to show the exact same feats regardless of circumstance. You’re claiming 20% air pressure can barely rustle leaves, therefore it’s impossible for 20% to be 8-A. Yet by that same logic, you ignore Air Force from 20% injuring High 8-C characters. Even without the gloves, Deku was severely blowing trees with finger flicks, yet you’re claiming the single kick he did is the sole example of 20%’s power. Your example is built upon a lack of realization for other 20% feats of air pressure.

We’ve already had this conversation, you’re just perpetuating it. If a feat truly contradicts canon, it isn’t going to be used, whether it be manga, anime or movie. The 20% feat doesn’t contradict anything.

Back