• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

wfrs8KM.jpg

Give that News Reporter a raise

After like an eternity of pixel scaling i have finally finished a calc that puts deku (just 100%) at high hypersonic+ Ima make a blog to see if it can be evaluated (something my 5% deku calc hasnt been yet)

How would Superman's powers be turned into a Quirk?
Similar to that weird Superman knock off from RWBY I’d suppose. A quirk that operates by giving him strength and various abilities from solar energy.

You can even give scientific reasoning behind his powers. Heat vision is directly shooting the solar energy. X-ray vision is changing the type of light he sees. Freeze breath is drawing solar heat away from parts of his body to make his breath cold. Super strength, speed, senses, etc. are just the sun juicing his body. Flight is manipulating the energy to keep himself afloat, kinda like Koichi’s slide and glide, a form of energy projection but carrying rather than propelling.

I think I honestly made team rwbys and jnprs semblances into pretty good quirks, sure some of them were more easy to make quirks then others but still

I think I honestly made team rwbys and jnprs semblances into pretty good quirks, sure some of them were more easy to make quirks then others but still
Quirks are a broad power system with tons of room for growth and variation. So making a characters abilities from one piece of media into a Quirk in MHA is pretty easy.

Mainly cause Horikoshi literally made a world based around the premise of “all super powers are possible and everyone has them.”

Also I wonder how exactly could my oc Jukido have a quirk awakening as his qurik is just

"Orbit: this quirk allows Jukido to remove the effects of gravity from solid things upon touching them with the pads on his fingertips. Then after removing gravity he can Telekinetically control the things he has removed the gravity of with his fingers" basically just a "better version of zero gravity"

Also I wonder how exactly could my oc Jukido have a quirk awakening as his qurik is just

"Orbit: this quirk allows Jukido to remove the effects of gravity from solid things upon touching them with the pads on his fingertips. Then after removing gravity he can Telekinetically control the things he has removed the gravity of with his fingers" basically just a "better version of zero gravity"
Applying the gravity he has taken.

Gravity is acceleration. So if he’s taking away that acceleration, it’s going somewhere yes? If he’s absorbing it into himself, being able to expel the acceleration would be a good ability.

Quirks are a broad power system with tons of room for growth and variation. So making a characters abilities from one piece of media into a Quirk in MHA is pretty easy.

Mainly cause Horikoshi literally made a world based around the premise of “all super powers are possible and everyone has them.”
All that and yet all the hax are trash. Like can we have something like time stop and then Deku at 100% being "so fast he can move in time stop" giving him infinite speed or something or how about any other cool power. :(

All that and yet all the hax are trash. Like can we have something like time stop and then Deku at 100% being "so fast he can move in time stop" giving him infinite speed or something or how about any other cool power. :(
Because shit like that makes the story and power scaling absolutely horrendous from the point you introduce it and going forward.

Being strong is cool, but that’s not what matters. Hero Society is more interesting to explore than “Deku gets a power up and beats guy, time to move on to next villain and power up” ad infinitum. If you introduce a power, you have to constantly use it, or make it so instances of using it actually matter. Horikoshi understands this very well. That’s why you don’t see broken shit that often, or if you do, it has a weakness or limitation.

Having reality breaking dumb shit is a cool idea until you actually have to write your story around it. Then it either becomes a scramble for more power ups or straight garbage power fantasy.

Because shit like that makes the story and power scaling absolutely horrendous from the point you introduce it and going forward.

Being strong is cool, but that’s not what matters. Hero Society is more interesting to explore than “Deku gets a power up and beats guy, time to move on to next villain and power up” ad infinitum. If you introduce a power, you have to constantly use it, or make it so instances of using it actually matter. Horikoshi understands this very well. That’s why you don’t see broken shit that often, or if you do, it has a weakness or limitation.

Having reality breaking dumb shit is a cool idea until you actually have to write your story around it. Then it either becomes a scramble for more power ups or straight garbage power fantasy.
Yeah Ik. But I still hope we can at least have multi-continental feats or higher with at least ftl speeds by the very end of the series

In the end it also depends on how the story is written. Though I do think Horikoshi can write broken characters while still having a good story.(not too broken ofc)

Also I have a question. So in the movie heroes rising Nine creates a lightning storm and then uses it to attack Deku and Bakugou. The reason they were fine was because Denki absorbed it. So like did they bring him there or was he somehow already there? Couldnt this be used as a lightning feat?(idk if this has already been talked about)

Horikoshi is very clear about not breaking the powerscale. That's pretty much the reason MHA hasn't indulged in Lightspeed outliers like most other shonen out there. It's the same thing with hax, I don't see MHA ever having stuff like time manipulation or reality manip.

Even with the hax already present in the series, Horikoshi adds a prerequisite which in most cases is touch. This allows characters to be able to evade these hax abilities as long as they don't get touched. These types of restrictions are what keep MHA grounded and reduce the amount of outliers in the series.

Tbh I have a feeling there might be SoL or FTL stuff at the end of series in the final big bad fight. I think Horikoshi could explain it depending on how he takes the story. But yeah I do agree that MHA is one of the most consistent series in shounen when it comes to power scaling.

Denki was probably hiding in a nearby bush with his quirk on and so the lightning automatically focused on him as he is a living lightning rod.

Yeah but the problem is the lightning seem to hit Deku and Bakugou where they originally were. We also get to see Nine in the same frame of the lighting when it hits Deku and Bakugous location.

I really hope MHA gets nowhere near lightspeed in actuality. The best part about the series is that it is grounded. Like Attack On Titan, for the most part. AOT would be incredibly boring if Mikasa suddenly went lightspeed and killed 9 million titans in 2 seconds just because it was cool.

I really hope MHA gets nowhere near lightspeed in actuality. The best part about the series is that it is grounded. Like Attack On Titan, for the most part. AOT would be incredibly boring if Mikasa suddenly went lightspeed and killed 9 million titans in 2 seconds just because it was cool.
I mean kind of but its also a show about superheroes. So after having cities destroyed and other cool stuff, suddenly them being only speed of sound gets annoying and boring.(unless sound is stated to be faster than our real life one ig)

Missed Deku and Bakugo, hit Denki. This is why they weren’t screaming in pain like the first time they were hit.

Yes, a grounded manga about superheroes who are, for the most part, completely normal humans with one specific super power, outside of special cases. Mirio was an absolute beast and he was stopped by a bullet.

Yeah but then how did Denki get there and absorb it directly? Even if it missed them Denki still got there somehow. So either he was placed there or he is faster than lighting(or Im missing something, thats why Im asking)

Also honestly the bullet part can be explained as him protecting Eri(i dont remember exactly but I dont think he had much of a choice but to save her) and also idk but as you said, he was an absolute beast and got taken out by a bullet. Thats kind of lame to me.

Mirio getting tagged by a bullet wasn't much of a problem scaling-wise. The entire scene wasn't really clear in the manga, and you can interpret it as Mirio basically had to outrun the bullet at most or move as fast as the bullet, or only a little bit slower, to protect Eri. Which doesn't necessarily contradict his supersonic+ movement speed.

He was hiding in the bushes or something, like I said. Nobody reacted to it and Deku and Bakugo couldn’t dodge it before, who are stronger and faster than Denki by many times over.

Mike Tyson is an absolute beast. He can’t survive a gunshot to the stomach nor catch bullets. However, I’d love to see you call him “kind of lame” to his face for not being able to do that.

Mirio getting tagged by a bullet wasn't much of a problem scaling-wise. The entire scene wasn't really clear in the manga, and you can interpret it as Mirio basically had to outrun the bullet at most or move as fast as the bullet, or only a little bit slower, to protect Eri. Which doesn't necessarily contradict his supersonic+ movement speed.
It was totally clear. Bad guy aimed gun at Eri, Mirio moved, bad guy waited for Mirio to be in front of Eri, then the bad guy fired. Mirio did not outspeed nor react to the bullet at all. He couldn’t even catch it or bat it away or simply grab Eri and move her a little bit to the left and then go permeate mode. It’s the anime that changed it.

It was totally clear. Bad guy aimed gun at Eri, Mirio moved, bad guy waited for Mirio to be in front of Eri, then the bad guy fired. Mirio did not outspeed nor react to the bullet at all. He couldn’t even catch it or bat it away or simply grab Eri and move her a little bit to the left and then go permeate mode. It’s the anime that changed it.
Yeah you're right.

Normal human speed Mirio it is

Agreed. I take actual feats over fan calcs; creator intent over headcanons. So downgrade him. Mirio is above everyone in 1-A in that era of the series, and Mirio is much slower than regular handguns. It’s more consistent than everyone being supersonic based off a headcanon fan calc assuming Todoroki’s strongest ice attacks are the same speed as his smaller ice attacks, and that he created one the size of a city block before Aizawa could open his eye after blinking, despite the fact the only evidence is from a student, and ignoring Aizawa’s actual weakness of not being able to instantly re-use his quirk after blinking.

I’m back pls stop to be blind to the truth. Denki is literally nowhere near the vicinity, he’s not even shown in the shot. He literally teleports in the blast 100% hence why he’s there in the shot right after. That was a literal reaction and don’t use the why didn’t the faster characters such as X and Y dodge. It’s simple because they didn’t see it, they were 100% focused on nine himself to be blind to the fact that he has more than the quirks presented

Agreed. I take actual feats over fan calcs; creator intent over headcanons. So downgrade him. Mirio is above everyone in 1-A in that era of the series, and Mirio is much slower than regular handguns. It’s more consistent than everyone being supersonic based off a headcanon fan calc assuming Todoroki’s strongest ice attacks are the same speed as his smaller ice attacks, and that he created one the size of a city block before Aizawa could open his eye after blinking, despite the fact the only evidence is from a student, and ignoring Aizawa’s actual weakness of not being able to instantly re-use his quirk after blinking.
Man says headcanon. This is the same page that says one piece is rel - ftl with the verse still being affected by bullets. The verse has feats clearly over hypersonic+ speeds and your over saying supersonic makes complete sense, I can literally make the case that we have more concrete evidence on light speed mha as much as we do on supersonic for the simple fact that the author has brought up multiple times throughout mha whether it be databook, manga, movie etc. Aoyama beam is light and as such should be held at that speed. I can bring up chp numbers everything, there’s more pros than cons

FR though it could also just mean that Mirio just made a dumb decision.
Even if you don't agree with supersonic characters at this point in the series, the vast majority of speed feats point towards subsonic, same with Mirio, and even at the slowest possible interpretation of Mirio's speed, him not being able to take Eri away from the bullet is not an anti-feat, or if it is, it's an outlier at most IMO.

I don‘t think a super genius trained by All Might’s super genius sidekick would be suddenly lobotomised to the point he can’t figure out that he can just grab and slightly move Eri a few inches to the left and have the bullet completely miss the both of them. This is like if Endeavor tried to kill Shigaraki by punching him instead of using his flames.

Back